GreaseSpot Cafe

Shocked but not surprised

Allan

Allan, this is how "Auntie" reported it.
Speakers' Corner: Woman attacked with knife - BBC News

This attack hasn't had a lot of coverage, but there has been some; it's not been ignored.  That's likely because there is more concern over covid figures, which are rapidly increasing with the delta variant; and a pay award to the NHS is subject to some fierce argument ("It's derisory!" "It's too much!" "They're heroes!" "No other public staff are getting pay rises!"  etc etc).

The UK as a whole is pretty tolerant of other people's religious practices, as long as they don't interfere with others; but then, I suppose as a white female I can say that; if I were of a different racial background I may well have a very different experience of life.  We have our own nutters that like to attack on the basis of a different skin colour/religion/way of tying their shoelaces.  It goes both ways. 

Islam from what I gather is not a "forgiving" religion, especially towards those who become apostates to that religion, like the woman you refer to.  The Islamic background is more of a "shame" basis than the Christian view, which is a "sin" basis; "shame" is alien to Christians.  But Muslims that I have met have on the whole been decent folk with the same desires for their families that Christians and non-religious people might have.  Some are radical, violent, fools;: just as some Christians are radical, violent fools.

We don't have the shooting problems that the USA has.  Gun owners need a licence in the UK and they are subject to fairly strict tests regarding mental health.  Few ordinary people have guns, and not in cities (farmers of course have some weaponry, so do sportsmen), so the choice of weapon of attack is more often a knife (freely available in all household kitchens) which of course doesn't do the mass damage that an AK47 will do.  It's not to say that criminals don't acquire guns (legally and illegally), but generally they use these to shoot at each other in drug turf wars.

You'll be aware, no doubt, of the Ozzie white supremacist Brendan Tarrant, who shot up two NZ mosques.  Pleased to say the whole community in Christchurch, and in all NZ, rallied to the aid of those injured and bereaved, and condemned the actions of this - this - this nutter.

Christchurch mosque shootings - Wikipedia

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Islamophobic" is used to smear anyone who stands up to Islam.  Wouldn't want to be "intolerant," you know. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous, isn't it!  Not even an accurate word.  Phobias are unreasonable fears.  "Phobia" doesn't mean "dislike."

Like "homophobic."  Or "transphobic."  Does one have an unreasonable fear of homosexuals? Of transsexuals? Or rather, a dislike or distrust of same?  Or even no concern of any kind at all  I sometimes wonder if the people really pushing those agendas are "normal-phobic" and can't abide anyone who's not like them or as noisy about their "thing" as they themselves are.

We're all so busy being pushed to be PC that at times it seems the world has become "rational-phobic" or "common sense-phobic."