GreaseSpot Cafe

Can a cult make a transition into something less harmful and controlling?

T-Bone

For the past few weeks, a couple of ideas have been buzzing around in my head.

One thought is - what happens when the original cult leader is gone?

The other idea is – can a cult make a transition into something less harmful and controlling?

I debated over which forum to put this in – About the Way or in Open – I finally decided on Open since most of my references draw on other cults.
I literally Googled the above two questions and came across a wide variety of possible scenarios – I posted a few interesting websites below…I wasn’t planning on doing anything with this stuff – until I saw OldSkool’s thread  Hey we got a new bored member   

After reading the provided link     here    I was surprised by my own feeling of hope after finding out the newest member on TWI’s board of directors is a woman of color with a PhD in clinical psychology…racial/ethnic diversity broadens the potential talent pool inviting new ideas and approaches and maybe she’ll address some of the cognitive dissonance issues too.   :rolleyes:

I think…I hope this is a step (or another step) in the right direction for TWI…

I know what some of you might be thinking. How can I talk about hope when I’m usually very critical of TWI being a harmful and controlling organization…well unlike a certain former mindset I used to have that was incapable of empathy and wrote off anyone that didn’t wholeheartedly accept the teachings of wierwille - - I view everything (situations…people…ideas…life) a lot differently now - - and that’s probably due in a large part to having the freedom and responsibility to cultivate a personal worldview

I always have hope for people…and situations to change for the better. TWI is not an automated machine – it is an organization run by people. People can change. People are not perfect – neither are organizations. I’m not saying what’s past is water under the bridge and is no longer important or a source of concern…but looking forward, do we tend to think “that’s the way things are…irreversible…hopeless”? 

When is a thief not a thief? When the thief is sleeping? Nope – still a thief but just off-duty. A thief is not a thief when he or she becomes something else:
“Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.” Ephesians 4:28     

A thief is no longer a thief when he or she becomes an honest worker and actual has something from an honest day’s work to share with someone in need. 

What Happens when the original cult leader is gone?

Kosta,  raised in a cult from 11 to 14, had this to say on Quora:
“What happens to cult members when the cult leader is gone, either through death or jail?

It depends on the cult and whether it successfully transitions into something more mainstream. Many smaller cults that are centered entirely around a powerful and charismatic figure die out when their leader does, but others often transition into something resembling a more mainstream religion, usually when someone slightly less narcissistic takes over. The Mormon/LDS church and the Seventh-day Adventists are examples of these types of cults that transitioned.

Some cult leaders are so fanatical about their own cult of personality that they can’t stand the idea of the cult even existing without their presence and actually hamper any attempts to transition it, making sure they surround themselves with yes men rather than people who could take their place afterward. These types of cults tend to die out pretty quickly after the leader does (or in the case of Jim Jones, along with him).

The cult I was in was very much a cult around one person and when he left, the people around him would leave pretty quickly too. Since he was a bit nomadic and seemed to move around from place to place every few years, there was about a 4–5 year turnover in the cult, with only a few core members staying with him. This could have happened to the LDS if Joseph Smith had lived, but they after his death the leadership of the more moderate and organization focused Young changed it from a cult of personality around Smith to a cult of an organization around the church itself.”

from: from Quora - what happens when the cult leader is gone?

Here’s an old 2013 post from psyborgue on Cult Education Institute forum:

“Sometimes the cult dissolves without a leader. Sometimes, like Scientology, it lives on with a new leader. Sometimes, as in the case of Synanon, followers start their own "clone" groups with the teachings they've learned. This thread is intended for discussion of what exactly causes each outcome, and how these outcomes have played out throughout cultic history.

How is a new leader selected by the group? When a leader dies without naming a sucessor, how is one chosen, and what causes followers to bond with this new leader? To what extent is the new leader limited by the revelations and established doctrine of the old one (how much can change)?

What causes a group to dissolve? Is it because of a lack of instruction/doctrine and too much reliance on the leader's daily orders to maintain the thought reform environment? Is it because the very death of a leader contradicts the leader's beliefs (ex. dying of an illness when claiming to have the cure for same illness). What happens to these followers left without a leader?

What causes followers to create their own groups? Are they acting out of self-interest like the often sociopathic cult leaders, or are they merely mindlessly carrying on bringing the one true message of X to the world? How many stick to the doctrine and how many change it? How do the new leaders justify changing the immutable words of the great leader?”

from Cult Education website

Can a cult transition into being less harmful and controlling?

“The greater Christian community has observed much publicity regarding the Worldwide Church of God’s attempt to mainstream into Evangelical Protestantism these past several years...Note: Worldwide Church of God changed their name in April 2009 in the United States to Grace Communion International. (Some local church areas and countries may still carry the former name or a different one.)

Many dedicated Christian ministries have followed unfolding events through the writings of Ruth Tucker, Hank Hanegraaff and a select few who have been approached by the current administrators of the multi-million dollar WCG empire. As many would agree, the publicity regarding the WCG change has been most positive and effective, leaving few to question what is actually occurring within the tightly controlled organization. 

Few have the connections or ability to deeply research or investigate the validity of changes occurring within this sixty year old organization. While many Christians see this “historic” change (as Hank Hanegraaff often describes it) as real, it is a fact that the critical information regarding the entire story behind Worldwide Church of God has not been disseminated or considered.

The face value acceptance of the WCG into the greater community is of major concern to thousands victimized by such a destructive force. That concern extends to honest Evangelical ministries and those yet to be approached by the WCG’s sophisticated system of deception. During these past few years many have been dazzled by the well orchestrated propaganda. 

Sincere Christians have been captivated by the doctrinal changes they read or hear about. Throughout this past decade major cults have maneuvered their way into the mainstream Christian arena and society in general. Their successes have increased their power while achieving significant inroads with their political agendas and financial pursuits. 

It is true that most cult educated Christians feel they would never succumb to manipulations generated by Jehovah’s Witnesses or Mormons. We must ask why then have some accepted and endorsed the relentless manipulations put forth by one of this century’s most destructive cults. Is the power of Jesus really behind this “historic event“?”

"A trend in pop culture is a mix of current affairs and anniversaries, and saturating the media landscape is documentary storytelling about cults in popular culture. Last year was the 40th anniversary of Jonestown, and this summer marks 50 years since the Manson Family murders. 2019 saw the trial of NXIVM members, and Netflix’s “Wild Wild Country” piqued interest in a peculiar unfolding of events in the 1980s of a group called the Rajneeshpuram. Popular podcasts include a series on Heaven’s Gate, along with a host of explorations of cult groups and religious sects, both heterodox and not.

But what differentiates a cult from a religion? Followers see themselves as believers, even disciples—not cult members. Families, law enforcement, media, and other religious leaders, however, rely on the word “cult” to discredit, call out, or accuse these groups. Who has the final word, and what is behind the word itself?

Cult is a term that doesn’t refer to religion at all, but is applied to a social movement. People have intuitive feelings about how the word cult should be used, even when an organization or movement meets the criteria of a new religion. Take, for example, Scientology and Mormonism. Both were new religious movements that have evolved into a general understanding or definition of a religion. However, according to Pew Research, non-Mormons in the U.S. are more likely to label Mormonism as a cult. 

Scientology and Mormonism have outlived their charismatic leaders. They have openly published their beliefs as scripture. Both religions seek truth by offering its followers a roadmap for their place in the universe, along with a moral code. Those who accept the beliefs and rituals are members of the religion. But many outside consider the movement, and its followers, to be a cult. How have the two been conflated?

“The word ‘cult’ originally designates a practice of religious veneration and the religious system based around such veneration—for example, the cult of Our Lady of Guadalupe,” says Robin Clark, a linguistics professor in the School of Arts and Sciences. “However, the word was co-opted in the first half of the 20th century by sociology, and has come to denote a social group with ‘socially deviant’ beliefs and practices, like a UFO cult.”

Cults versus new religions is a matter of perspective, says Ori Tavor, a senior lecturer in the Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations, who teaches a class on new religious movements. “New religious movement” is a new term from academic discourse, and is applied to religious movements from the 19th century onwards. “Remember,” says Tavor, “that the religious landscape of the U.S. was about freedom of religion. Anyone can create a new religion, and can appeal to the government for new religion status and get protections and recognition from the government.” 

What they have in common may be reason to conflate the two: a charismatic leader. Buddhism and Christianity are both named after a charismatic leader. Islam, originally called Mohammedanism, is also named after its leader. Religions and cults often follow a leader who claims divine, or at least special, access to different models of knowledge and revelations. Many are martyred. Jesus of Nazareth was famously crucified. Joseph Smith, Mormonism’s founder, was lynched, leaving Brigham Young to lead followers west...

...If one factor can determine the difference between a cult and a religion, according to Tavor, it would be time. Scientology is now recognized by the state as a religion, with tax-exempt status. Mormonism was considered such a deviant form of heterodoxy its founder was lynched. Now the Mormon Church has more than 14 million members worldwide. 

“It takes time for a movement to establish itself as a legitimate part of the religious landscape,” says Tavor. “A cult doesn’t have anything to do with the content of its religious ideology. It is a term to demonize a movement that is controversial. It is considered a threat to mainstream society.” NXIVM, for example, is labeled a cult of personality because, like Jonestown, it is a group that has followed a charismatic leader to its detriment."

from: penntoday.upenn.edu  – webpage of University of Pennsylvania

Mack Moore , a cult survivor, cult resistance educator, anti-fundamentalist said this 2 years ago:
“Few people understand the personalities of cult leaders, because their PR campaigns and perpetration of cult mind control enshrouds the real personality in a cloud of disinformation. Few insiders ever see the real person behind the campaign.

Some cult organizations don’t even have a single charismatic leader. That’s one of the myths: That if it doesn’t have such a leader, it can’t be a cult. That’s false. Cult organizations are recognized by their methods.

What all cult leaders (leadership bodies) have in common is that they all employ the same tactics of cult mind control (each with a slightly different style, each centering around a different ideology). By learning to recognize those tactics, you can protect yourself from all cults.

It is the methods or tactics, not the ideology, and not the personality, that makes a cult what it is.”

Rate of progress depends on the size of the project. There’s always setbacks and bumps in the road…Two steps forward, one step back… I was in TWI from 1974 to 1986. I’m some 35 years out of touch with it. How much has it changed? I don’t know. I like to hope for the best - that it is still changing for the better...I'm not a perfectionist...I guess ideally my wish would be it all falls apart - justice is served appropriately - everyone who is dirty comes clean - everyone moves on in life...but realistically - I take what I can get - any kind of change for the better is good...

...honestly, I don't give two hoots about the organization...It's people I care about...because I'm a people too :rolleyes: ...empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another...I've been there...I would not wish being in a harmful and controlling cult on anybody...sure it would be great if it all came to a screeching halt real soon - but you know that's not going to happen - so in the meantime it will be the genuinely good and kind people who will make a difference...

...There was a   strange duality  during my involvement with a harmful and controlling cult. There I was in a supposedly Christian organization and yet it seemed like their agenda and their way of doing things brought on most of my hardships, frustrations, heartaches and resentment. Since I left I have thought about Psalm 23: 4 many times - “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me...”  I believe God often helped me through tough times in spite of what some bad people did; and I also believe God helped me through some tough times by what some good people did... Hooray for the good folks in TWI  !!!!!

If you're in TWI or in some other supposedly Christian group and got a little uncomfortable reading this stuff...well, stay on the phone and let me ask you a few questions...

What would happen if a narcissistic sociopath with delusions of grandeur started his own ministry?

Is it possible for someone to hijack Christianity?

Could a parasitic organization have a symbiotic relationship with Christianity?

Could a Christian think they are serving God and not realize they are being sidetracked and exploited by a phony pastor?

Are there any telltale signs that someone is a charlatan?

Why do we ignore red flags? Are we afraid the warning signs are true? Do we think our intuition or feelings are wrong?

Does my line of questioning seem outlandish? Does it sound scary or unthinkable that there might be counterfeit Christian groups “out there”? Before you brush me off, look at the warnings from Jesus of false prophets, wolves in sheep’s clothing, bad fruit from a diseased tree, hypocrites who say they follow the Lord but do not do the will of the Father…cult leaders who build their house on the sand and encourage their followers to do the same – click here to read Matthew 7: 15-29    for yourself...Jesus spoke of these religious charlatans as a diseased tree that bears bad fruit, and every tree that does not bear good fruit is to be cut down and thrown into the fire. He did not say the diseased tree should be healed, salvaged or reformed.

It is a wise thing to learn from your own mistakes...and you're really... really... really wise if you can learn from the mistakes of others...that's what Grease Spot is all about.

so in the meantime...

Hopefully TWI is becoming less harmful and controlling than it was when I was in.

Hopefully TWI-followers are becoming more openminded and empathetic to outsiders than I was when I was in. 

I’m interested in hearing the thoughts of Grease Spotters – you can comment on any of the websites I quoted from, reply to any questions I've asked or share your own ideas about:

what happens when the original cult leader is gone?

can a cult make a transition into something less harmful and controlling?

Edited by T-Bone
typos and formatting

:offtopic:Changing The Way was once a big topic in TWI, among younger crowds.  LCM screwed it up and we need to get back to Da Turd/VPW . . . Who a lot of us have no memory of.  Making the Ministry better was well intentioned but misguided. . . Carrot

Also, this leader no-leader stuff is an interesting topic . . . . I can hear Vaknin now . . .

Christianity was once a cult of Jewishness, too.  Jesus, however, never intended to start a new religion, but to turn people back to God. Some say that Christianity is a cult started by Paul/Saul.

Good post, T-Bone.

When the rules of the organisation itself become more important than the (real) rules of God, then there's a problem.

8 hours ago, Twinky said:

Christianity was once a cult of Jewishness, too.  Jesus, however, never intended to start a new religion, but to turn people back to God. Some say that Christianity is a cult started by Paul/Saul.

That’s some great points, Twinky !

Depending on who you’re talking to, the word “cult” can have various shades of meaning:
“In modern English, a cult is a social group that is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or by its common interest in a particular personality, object, or goal. This sense of the term is controversial, having divergent definitions both in popular culture and academia, and has also been an ongoing source of contention among scholars across several fields of study. The word "cult" is usually considered pejorative.

An older sense of the word cult involves a set of religious devotional practices that are conventional within their culture, are related to a particular figure, and are often associated with a particular place. References to the "cult" of a particular Catholic saint, or the imperial cult of ancient Rome, for example, use this sense of the word.

While the literal and original sense of the word remains in use in the English language, a derived sense of "excessive devotion" arose in the 19th century. Beginning in the 1930s, cults became the object of sociological study in the context of the study of religious behavior. Since the 1940s the Christian countercult movement has opposed some sects and new religious movements, labeling them "cults" because of their unorthodox beliefs.

Since the 1970s, the secular anti-cult movement has opposed certain groups, and in reaction to acts of violence which have been committed by some of their members, it has frequently charged them with practicing mind control. Scholars and the media have disputed some of the claims and actions of anti-cult movements, leading to further public controversy.

Sociological classifications of religious movements may identify a cult as a social group with socially deviant or novel beliefs and practices, although this is often unclear. Other researchers present a less-organized picture of cults, saying that they arise spontaneously around novel beliefs and practices. Groups labelled as "cults" range in size from local groups with a few followers to international organizations with millions of adherents.”

For purposes of distinction I usually tack on some descriptive adjectives like “a harmful and controlling cult”…I realize in even those adjectives there’s a big gray area because we have no metrics, surveys or sociological studies to provide an accurate threshold of when involvement in a group becomes harmful to the followers or how to describe and quantify the undue influence a group has over its followers…but I don’t let that stop me from voicing an opinion    :rolleyes:   . I think there’s a lot of good anecdotal information online that provides the typical characteristics of a harmful and controlling cult…to cite a few:

Cult Research.org – characteristics of cult

FECRIS.org – identifying characteristics of a cult

Psychology Today – cults: the mind/body connection

Psychology Today – clues to what makes a pathological cult leader

The Guardian - telltale signs of a cult

Cult Research.org - cults today a new social psychological perspective

8 hours ago, Twinky said:

When the rules of the organisation itself become more important than the (real) rules of God, then there's a problem.

I don’t have a beef against any organized religion. One thing I do have a problem with is when some megalomaniac supersedes the basic tenets of their faith…but that’s just my opinion. And that’s why I posted some  open-ended questions   in my first post – I anticipated…and I welcome other viewpoints – all this stuff is a matter on which differences of opinion are possible.

Edited by T-Bone
typos and formatting

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

I hear narcissistic mortification can trigger change. 

But that's just Vaknin talking.

Are you speaking about cult leadership or in followers - or both?

"Internal versus external

Narcissistic mortification can be:

Internal - occurs when an individual is overstimulated by their emotions. For example, while debating with classmates on the importance of stem cell research an outspoken student loses his temper causing an uproar. The student has just exhibited an overstimulation of his emotions and used this outburst to relieve internal tension.

External - occurs when something out of one's control influences a situation, for example, an individual who is held at gunpoint while having their wallet stolen. This individual does not hold any control over the scenario nor the actions of the gunman, but their reaction to being held at gunpoint influences the next scenario and what the gunman does next.

In cult leadership

To escape the narcissistic mortification of accepting their own dependency needs, cult leaders may resort to delusions of omnipotence. Their continuing shame and underlying guilt, and their repudiation of dependency, obliges such leaders to use seduction and manic defenses to externalize and locate dependency needs in others, thus making their followers controllable through a displaced sense of shame.”

Edited by T-Bone
typos and formatting

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Are you speaking about cult leadership or in followers - or both?

. . .

Probably both.  You can't have one without the other.  There can't be a here without a there.

Followers who leave often repeat the pattern in another group?

As I understood it's (mortification) the only time they (leader) come out of their cocoon . . .  feel alive . . . change direction.   It's an opportunity to grow past whatever development stage they got stuck on. . . . . They might get stuck again but that's still an improvement. (What I gather from Vaknin)

The art is to get past all the defenses.

Edited by Bolshevik
clarity

You could probably sort VPW's "teachings" into at least two buckets: those intended to gather narcissistic supply and defense mechanisms.

The Constitution of the United States is a living document.  It is designed to change.

The bones in our bodies have osteoclasts and osteoblast.  Even our bones are constantly being rebuilt.

Any good system has change over time in mind.

What mechanism is there for change in a cult?  They're trying to capture the past (in twi).  Only death and lawyers force change from the outside.  Not from the inside.

Edited by Bolshevik
The "Living Word" is bologna . . . or malarkey . . in the Aramaic

On 8/30/2021 at 1:23 AM, Rocky said:

Maybe there's some insight to answer that question in this recently released book.

515M+w3X9qL.jpg

Thanks Rocky – that looks interesting – I put that on my Amazon Wishlist – which already has on it   The Language Instinct     by cognitive psychologist and linguist Steven Pinker…I’ve read Pinker’s   How the Mind Works    and    The Stuff of Thought  ...    btw, the jacket notes on The Stuff of Thought says it marries some of the ideas from Pinker’s other books  The Language Instinct,    How the Mind Works,    and    The Blank Slate    ….guess I’m kind of working my way backwards through Pinker’s stuff :rolleyes:    ….but that’s how my mind works    :biglaugh:

….funny fact about my reading habits – when it comes to magazines – whether any we have at home or whatever I pick up in a doc’s waiting room – I usually start from the last page of the magazine and work my way backwards to the front  :confused:  …weird I know…now sometimes if the cover has some interesting article, I’ll go right to it  - but otherwise I go straight to the last page…just to be clear – I don’t read backwards – some of the articles are only one page or there’s several short pieces on one page. If I back up to something interesting that’s several pages – I’ll go to the beginning of the article and start reading from there…I have no idea why I started doing this years ago…maybe in some paranoid-conspiracy-suspicious-manner I once figured magazine editors expected folks to read their periodicals from front to back – and I wasn’t going to fall for that old trick  :spy:  …hmmmm can a magazine subscriber transition into reading habits that are normal?  Not sure…I’ll keep you posted

Edited by T-Bone
typos and formatting

Pinker link

Vaknin Link

I see a parallel between cult language and personality disorders language.  On the LCM thread I can only act it out . . . The attitude behind the vague communication.  There's wayspeak and there's LCM speak.

If you're implying by changing the language you change the cult?

Edited by Bolshevik
More better write stuff

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

If you're implying by changing the language you change the cult?

I'm sorry, is that a question for me?

I did say I was interested in  Cultish, the book Rocky mentioned...I did not mean to suggest in any way, the idea that "by changing the language you change the cult"

Now what I have been suggesting on this thread is that it's possible for a cult to transition into something less harmful and controlling  IF  they genuinely change the way they treat people...maybe changing the language might help some - but I take deeds over words, as proof of real change any day of the week 

...and that's just my opinion...I wanted this thread to be like an open-ended question - there is no definitive answer to the question I put forth:

Can a cult make a transition into something less harmful and controlling?

Edited by T-Bone
revised - write tight!

I am speaking to whatever medium this is :biglaugh:

Changing the language would change an individual's perception and in turn would change behavior . . . Changing the perception of others changes how they are treated.

Cults have cult speak to more easily communicate to the people desired behavior.  Cult speak communicates to a person's baser instincts.  A person begins to filter the world in that way. (The cult leader has a deeper motivation they are trying to relate. . . . And can produce this speqk as I understand Vaknin say)

A change of language limits the ability to be controlled.  I assume the term "harm" is redundant here.

If leadership forgot the purpose of the words VPW used they might change them by mistake.  The DNA begins to mutate from there?

Or contact those folks from Clockwork Orange.

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

I am speaking to whatever medium this is :biglaugh:

Changing the language would change an individual's perception and in turn would change behavior . . . Changing the perception of others changes how they are treated.

Cults have cult speak to more easily communicate to the people desired behavior.  Cult speak communicates to a person's baser instincts.  A person begins to filter the world in that way. (The cult leader has a deeper motivation they are trying to relate. . . . And can produce this speqk as I understand Vaknin say)

A change of language limits the ability to be controlled.  I assume the term "harm" is redundant here.

If leadership forgot the purpose of the words VPW used they might change them by mistake.  The DNA begins to mutate from there?

Or contact those folks from Clockwork Orange.

Sorry – this is all too vague for my taste…need some clarification on WHAT,   HOW,    WHEN, and    WHY changes are made…so here’s my offering:

WHAT:
Are you referring to modifying or substituting terms and phrases and turning them into cult jargon? 

see Wikipedia – Scientology terminology

Decision Making Confidence website – cult tactics – loaded language 

HOW and WHEN:
I think you have a valid point – IF      from the get-go,    you alter the meaning of a verbal expression – and    IF   it catches on within a certain group, studies have shown that language has the power to reshape perceptions, knowledge,  expectations and behavior.

see  Psychology Today - Language has the power to make the invisible appear real 

WHY:
The loaded language of harmful and controlling cults is multi-purposed. Used within the group, it helps solidify a tight social bond and provides a heightened sense of feeling special…different…better than outsiders. Cult language is almost like a script for how to act in certain situations and who to defer to if certain critical decisions are needed…overall, I think the harm and control in loaded language is that it puts the kibosh on critical and creative thinking, leaves people floundering in complex situations and isolates the cult-follower by keeping them from finding solutions in outside influences and options not approved by the group.

Edited by T-Bone
delete delete delete - the language of editing !

*IF* ye continue in my word - LCM's WAP class. If . . .  IF. ..  IIFFF!!!

Yes that was triggered :biglaugh:  I can hear him tapping on the board with that stick!

And yes I have to reread what you wrote because now I am thinking about LCM.  And LCM brings emotions I don't like.  Which might alter my thoughts, and what I am reading.

IF I can stop associating IF with LCM, maybe I'll stay in the moment if IF happens.  Bit iffy there. 

You could change the conditional clause:

If you can’t stop associating “If” with LCM, then try the old-cult-jargon-switcheroo…in other words "if" = LCM  so for example used in a sentence
LCM it starts raining and thundering, you better seek shelter fast.” Ah but that could be confusing… It could mean either  there’s a big storm coming or you're giving Craig instructions if a storm comes...or ...Craig is about to unleash another tirade....well, anyway you look at it there's a big storm coming.

Or make a hybrid-jargon…for example,
To inculcate the certainty of eliminating LCM from memory, try chanting 

There’s no ifs, craigs or butts about it!” …if that doesn’t work, try “there’s no place like home”. If LCM is still hanging around, try watching  A Beautiful Mind     the biographical story of mathematician John Nash who endured paranoid schizophrenia and delusional episodes – sometimes visits by three imaginary people – it took some two  decades for Nash to work on ignoring his hallucinations – but he eventually got back into teaching and in 1994 won the Nobel Prize for his revolutionary work on game theory.  At the ceremony in Stockholm after he receives the prize and leaves the auditorium he sees the three imaginary characters – after a quick glance at them Nash departs with his wife and son…Great movie – I watched it just the other day as a matter of fact.

Or nix the word-play and try believing images of victory…for example,
If you can’t stop associating “If” with LCM, imagine every time he taps on the board with the pointer, you hold the mouse over his brow and repeatedly tap the “delete” key

Edited by T-Bone
typos from a beautiful mind

Lol! Actually saw that Movie in Founder's Hall . . . That's old.

Yes the language needs to broken down further.

IF I want to communicate something say to family in TWI I need to talk a certain way.  Not how I would talk to others outside TWI.  I can remember pacifying arguments with other wayfers with wayspeak.  It has utility.  It's a double edged sword though, it damages you as you use it.

Problem is, wayspeak is a feeling . . I'm not using codified rules to apply it.

I was previously trying to communicate that the jargon could be diluted over time, like over generations.  Meanings and purposes could be lost.  As in the game of telephone.

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

*IF* ye continue in my word - LCM's WAP class. If . . .  IF. ..  IIFFF!!!

Yes that was triggered :biglaugh:  I can hear him tapping on the board with that stick!

And yes I have to reread what you wrote because now I am thinking about LCM.  And LCM brings emotions I don't like.  Which might alter my thoughts, and what I am reading.

IF I can stop associating IF with LCM, maybe I'll stay in the moment if IF happens.  Bit iffy there. 

On 9/4/2021 at 6:29 PM, Bolshevik said:

Lol! Actually saw that Movie in Founder's Hall . . . That's old. Yes the language needs to broken down further. IF I want to communicate something say to family in TWI I need to talk a certain way.  Not how I would talk to others outside TWI.  I can remember pacifying arguments with other wayfers with wayspeak.  It has utility.  It's a double edged sword though, it damages you as you use it. Problem is, wayspeak is a feeling . . I'm not using codified rules to apply it.

I was previously trying to communicate that the jargon could be diluted over time, like over generations.  Meanings and purposes could be lost.  As in the game of telephone.

Holy what-ifs Bolshevik !!!!!     I think I understand what you were getting at (you can correct me if I’m way off) – how over time cult jargon could be diluted – original meanings and purposes change – and that could weaken or diminish the harmful and controlling effect of the jargon.

Your idea resonates with me…I thought a lot about that this morning and how, in my humble opinion, it relates to one of the most highly specialized buzzwords in TWI – “The Word”. I’ll also mention what I had to do to break the spell of one of wierwille’s most captivating terms.

I can still remember the first time I took PFAL and was fascinated by wierwille’s enthusiasm about – of all things – The Bible…Only he didn’t say “The Bible”. He kept using the phrase “The Word”…

…you’re welcome to say I’m being picayune on this and maybe I am – but I don’t recall many places in The Bible where “The Word” is used all by itself, other than in   John 1      -  and it is interesting to note the transition in verse 14 it says  "   The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us " and thereafter it's all about Jesus Christ! Most of the occurrences I can think of, that refers to a message from God, Scripture, passage, the entire Old and New Testament, etc. there are more words involved, in order to emphasize more details. For example looking at the call of Jeremiah   in   Jeremiah 1   :   

"The words of Jeremiah son of Hilkiah, one of the priests at Anathoth in the territory of Benjamin. 2 The word of the Lord came to him in the thirteenth year of the reign of Josiah son of Amon king of Judah, 3 and through the reign of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, down to the fifth month of the eleventh year of Zedekiah son of Josiah king of Judah, when the people of Jerusalem went into exile. 
4 The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;  I appointed you as a prophet to the nations
.”

It’s not just “The Word” that came to Jeremiah – it reads “the word of the Lord came to me…” What’s the difference? With the addition “of the Lord” a genitive of origin is noted – in other words, the word which came from or originated from the Lord. The Bible even has an expansive vocabulary for referring to Scripture in different ways in order to emphasize some quality or aspect. For example, in    Ephesians 1    

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit”      

“The message of truth” is the genitive of content – the message which contains the truth…”The gospel of your salvation” is the genitive of relation – the gospel pertaining to your salvation...I bet it would be an interesting Bible study to find all the ways that it refers to itself  - and to note all the adjectives and genitive of relation, content, etc. that are associated with it....who knows maybe we'll discover some holy buzzwords :spy:

Now let’s step it up a notch in analyzing one of wierwille’s signature buzzwords. I still remember wierwille driving home the point of making a big deal of “The Word” in PFAL. Remember these classics: 

It’s The Word, The Word, The Word and nothing but The Word!” 

The Word takes the place of the absent Christ.

When it comes to The Word, I have no friends.”

If they have a cult-jargon dictionary or Buzzwords For Dummies book, I think they should have an entry for “coin a phrase” and next to it a picture of wierwille with a text bubble of him saying “The Word, The Word, The Word!” some pictures are worth a thousand words – but that picture is worth only three cents – just a penny for each “The Word”…I believe wierwille’s use of “The Word” had an insidious three-pronged effect:

1.    wierwille (whether it was his intention I don’t know) co-opted a word from the Bible and while under the guise of sounding biblical, through the repeated abuse of twisting Scripture, ignoring context, proof-texting, mangling definitions in the original languages and logical fallacies, wierwille imbued “The Word” with all the authority of an Apostle-Paul-wannabe. But wierwille-followers don’t understand it that way. They believe wierwille always 'rightly-divided'  “The Word” – whatever that means. 

2.    wierwille encouraged followers to be know-it-alls and to procrastinate…I recall a pretty cool slogan that was used in some Christian groups - WWJD – or what would Jesus do?  I always thought it was very compelling – a moral imperative – a reminder to act in a way that demonstrated the love, compassion and kindness of Jesus Christ…You would never hear anyone in TWI use WWJD…Nope – “remember class, The Word takes the place of the absent Christ.” And so a moral imperative to follow Jesus Christ’s example - which should be compelling enough for Christians was eclipsed by wierwille's intellectual directive to study “The Word”…Maybe that’s what led me to have a cold…clinical…book-knowledge approach to Christianity rather than pursuing a deeper…personally immersive experience through Jesus Christ…wierwille-followers were duped into the idea that sitting on their duff studying “The Word”, thinking about “The Word”, pontificating all out of proportion from their knowledge of “The Word” was doingThe Word” – maybe something along the lines of WWWD = what would wierwille do? Why, nothing of course – he’d sit there on his duff, drink Drambuie, plagiarize ideas, brutalize Scripture, commercialize religion, cauterize the conscience, destabilize logic, patronize followers and militarize the wierwille-wannabes i.e. way corps for managing his little Nazi regime...I believe a lot of wierwille-followers were just kidding themselves (myself included when I was in) with this idea of " doing The Word" when all it really amounts to is mental assent...Assent is where you agree or approve of something...You don't really have to get involved and do something.... Hey, I heard you run a Way-fellowship in your home - would you and your fellowship be interested in helping our church run a food drive for the homeless and needy? "mmmmm...sounds tempting but...we're real busy moving The Word - we're running Bible classes and excellor sessions...you know how it is."

3.    wierwille encouraged closed-mindedness besides the fact that bearhugging “The Word” was a boon to fundamentalism.... “I have no friends when it comes to The Word…I don’t want to hear your opinion of that verse. I know what The Word says. It says the world was created in literally six days. I don’t want to hear about your radiocarbon dating, evolutionary developmental biology, blah-dee blah  blah…I get my information from The Word and nothing but The Word."

What I had to do to break the spell of one of wierwille’s most captivating terms “The Word” , was to get in the habit of referring to The Bible, or Scriptures…Not that using the term “The Word” is wrong. Nope. Probably “The Word” has about the same ‘weight’ as “The Bible” or “The Scriptures” to some unreligious person who is somewhat familiar with those terms and realizes  you’re probably talking about that book you might find in the drawer of a nightstand in some hotels – placed there by The Gideons – those sneaky buggers…But for me – there’s too much mental baggage that comes with the phrase “The Word”…I’m not gonna get all anti-The Word on anyone here that uses the term – just saying if I hear it – you know I’m going to run it through my secret-buzzword-decoder ring I always carry in my shirt pocket – right behind my cluster-fvck-of-confusion medals I was awarded fair and square by TWI for staying awake some of the time – my Advanced Class nametag, my WOW pin and round WOW nametag, and my Way Corps nametag.

My silly method of avoiding use of “The Word” is merely something that works for me by avoiding the loaded language that was used to indoctrinate me…I’m no longer brainwashed…but my soul still bears the scar tissue from the harm and control of TWI…and folks, don’t try to guilt me into liking the term just because you like it…I don’t care – use it all you want…but I don’t see any reason why I should use “The Word” when there are plenty of other ways to refer to the book that is at the top of my favorite books list. Matter of fact, I'm gonna put all my cards on the table and admit I believe The Bible is The Word of God. And I believe The Word became flesh and as Jesus Christ he walked the earth - and now is seated at the right hand of God. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and I cherish my relationship with him...so please don't get all judgmental and fundamental if people like me don't interpret The Bible...or "The Word"...exactly the same way as you do.

...and have a little courtesy...a little empathy for a cult survivor who doesn't think "The Word" is such a peachy keen phrase....Don't expect me to get excited about it like you do...That’s like expecting some woman who was molested or raped by a guy named Victor – and then a few years down the road, she has a child with her husband Fred and she wants to name the child Victor because of all the "fond memories" she has that are associated with that name…now don't get me wrong - I happen to think Victor is a cool name – but then again, I was never raped or molested by a guy named Victor.

Edited by T-Bone
typos = the new buzzword for "I make a lot of mistakes"

A post about buzzwords.

The more I read about the book “Cultish” the more excited I get about reading it soon…I’m finishing up 3 books right now, but I should be able to get to it soon…in general the topic of buzzwords is quite interesting – there’s both pros and cons to it:
“A buzzword is a word or phrase, new or already existing, that becomes very popular for a period of time. Buzzwords often derive from technical terms yet often have much of the original technical meaning removed through fashionable use, being simply used to impress others. Some "buzzwords" retain their true technical meaning when used in the correct contexts, for example artificial intelligence. Buzzwords often originate in jargon, acronyms, or neologisms. Examples of overworked business buzzwords include synergy, vertical, dynamic, cyber and strategy. A common buzzword phrase is "think outside the box".

It has been stated that businesses could not operate without buzzwords, as they are shorthands or internal shortcuts that make perfect sense to people informed of the context. However, a useful buzzword can become co-opted into general popular speech and lose its usefulness. According to management professor Robert Kreitner, "Buzzwords are the literary equivalent of Gresham's Law. They will drive out good ideas." Buzzwords, or buzzphrases such as "all on the same page", can also be seen in business as a way to make people feel like there is a mutual understanding.

As most workplaces use a specialized jargon, which could be argued is another form of buzzwords, it allows quicker communication. Indeed, many new hires feel more like "part of the team" the quicker they learn the buzzwords of their new workplace. Buzzwords permeate people's working lives so much that many don't realise that they are using them. The vice president of CSC Index, Rich DeVane, notes that buzzwords describe not only a trend, but also what can be considered a "ticket of entry" with regards to being considered as a successful organization – "What people find tiresome is each consulting firm's attempt to put a different spin on it. That's what gives bad information."

Buzzwords also feature prominently in politics, where they can result in a process which "privileges rhetoric over reality, producing policies that are 'operationalized' first and only 'conceptualized' at a later date". The resulting political speech is known for "eschewing reasoned debate (as characterized by the use of evidence and structured argument), instead employing language exclusively for the purposes of control and manipulation".

Definition
The Concise Oxford English Dictionary defines a buzzword (hyphenating the term as buzz-word) as a slogan, or as a fashionable piece of jargon: a chic, fashionable, voguish, trendy word a la mode.

It has been asserted that buzzwords do not simply appear, they are created by a group of people working within a business as a means to generate hype. Buzzwords are most closely associated with management and have become the vocabulary that is known as "management speak": Using a pompous or magisterial term, of or relating to a particular subject employed to impress those outside of the field of expertise.
It could also be called buzz phrase or loaded word.

What this means is that when a manager uses a said buzzword, most other people do not hear the meaning, and instead just see it as a buzzword. However, it has been said that buzzwords are almost a "necessary evil" of management, as a way to inspire their team, but also stroke their own egos. With that being said, a buzzword is not necessarily a bad thing, as many disciplines thrive with the introduction of new terms which can be called buzzwords. These can also cross over into pop culture and indeed even into everyday life. With media channels now operating through many media, such as television, radio, print and increasingly digital (especially with the rise of social media), a "buzzword" can catch on and rapidly be adapted through the world.”

= = = = = = = == = = = =

In a June 14th 2021 article by “Cultish” author Amanda Montell  - talks about as she finished the final draft, she shared some of her thoughts on buzzwords, the power of language and peoples’ desire to belong (if you're interested in reading the complete article - click on the link following these excerpts):

"In late 2020, a time of cultural high-highs and low-lows (Trump would soon be out of office, but the COVID pandemic was wreaking havoc), my Instagram algorithm could not have been more confused. Locked away in my bedroom like I’d been all year, looping a playlist of Mariah Carey Christmas music (an attempt at *joy*), I found myself going Jack-Nicholson-in-The-Shining-style mad, as I finished the final draft of Cultish, my new nonfiction book about the language of “cults,” from Scientology to SoulCycle. 

Amid all the QAnoners, multi-level marketing recruiters, impassioned start-ups, and other fanatical fringe groups I’d been analyzing (read: social media stalking) over the past year, my Explore page couldn’t seem to tell whether I was genuinely interested in shopping for Flat Earth T-shirts while entertaining the theory that 5G cell phone towers were responsible for the coronavirus, or just anthropologically interested. Either way, I was eyeballs deep in the peculiar universe of shady social media gurus, when I thumbed past the perfect case study in contemporary cult language: an account called @activationvibration…

…Language change and cultural change have always gone hand-in-hand, and this is by no means the “dawn” of New Age vernacular in the United States. We saw something similar in the 1960s and ’70s, another era of American socio-political turbulence. At the time, Americans were craving community and spirituality more than ever, but were resisting traditional religious organizations, so, new “alternative” movements — everything from Christian offshoots like Jews for Jesus to pseudo-Buddhist groups like Shambhala to sci-fi-type fellowships like Scientology — arose to fill the void. 
Like now, spiritual seekers of the time were mostly young, white, countercultural types who felt that mainstream church, government, and healthcare had failed them, so they began looking toward the East and the occult to inspire individualistic quests for enlightenment. Naturally accompanying the rise of New Age culture, talk of “vibrations” and “mind-body connections” surged….

…That said, this hazy metaphysical-meets-scientific-sounding speech does come with risks. We often take for granted the material power of language, largely because it’s invisible and seemingly harmless — sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can never hurt you, right? Well, not quite. Having spent the past two years researching the social science of cult influence, I’ve learned that more than physical violence or some vague concept of “brainwashing,” language is the key means by which all degrees of cult-like influence occur. With emotionally charged buzzwords and euphemisms, renamings, chants, mantras, and even hashtags, pernicious gurus are able to instill ideology, establish an “us” and a “them,” justify questionable behavior, inspire fear, gaslight followers into questioning their own reality… essentially everything a cult needs to do in order to gain and maintain power…

…“Some words are used not for their meaning, but for what the word says about the person who uses it,” wrote Lutheranism scholar Kendall Davis (@hispterlutheran) on his blog. Commenting on how millennial megachurches in particular exploit this New Age rhetoric as an unctuous marketing tactic, Davis writes: “The hipster church down the street isn’t calling itself an ‘intentional and authentic community of missional Christ followers’ because each of those words carry a specific meaning, but because each of those words/phrases identify this group of Christians as not like those other Christians, those Christians who are presumably part of an ‘accidental and inauthentic hermitage of anti-missional Christ deserters.’” The words’ precise definitions are not important — in fact, they don’t even exist. Instead, says David, it’s the social capital they carry. It’s their ability to instill a sense of unearned, us-versus-them elitism in followers who know how to use the language, while ostracizing or villainizing those who don’t.

At its very worst, New Age language conflates science and metaphysics in a way that misrepresents and delegitimizes data, ushering in a wave of hazardous anti-science thinking. Since the New Age boom in the ‘60s and ‘70s, so many notorious figures — from Scientology founder  L. Ron Hubbard to NXIVM’s Keith Rainere — have co-opted technical terms from scientific fields like psychology and astrophysics, infusing them with vague spiritual meanings as a way to convince their followers that they’re tapped into knowledge that transcends science.

Because New Age ideas and conspiracy theories have overlapped in such inauspicious ways over the past decade — giving us a whole new category of cultish belief termed “conspirituality” (think: anti-vaxx yogis, Pastel QAnoners, etc.) — this imprecise, mystical verbiage can serve as an on-ramp leading to much more destructive conspiratorial thinking. Many of QAnon’s central buzzwords fall into this very same category of New Age vernacular: “paradigm shift,” “5D consciousness,” “awakening.” This is no accident: The familiar, innocent-sounding words work to reel in and bond recruits without revealing too much. Akin to a horoscope, the generic rhetoric allows participants to project whatever they want to believe onto the language, all the while camouflaging the fact that much more ominous, fact-phobic, anti-Semitic ideas might await them deeper down the rabbit hole.

…Of course, New Age–speak is not inherently treacherous. But its sheer ubiquity says something profound about this uniquely cultish time in history. Keeping our ears attuned to deceptive buzzwords dressed up as the language of enlightenment can help us all make sure we don’t slip and fall into the wrong ideological whirlpool — whether we’re at church, work, spin class, or perusing our Explore page.”

= = = = = =  = === = = = = ==  = = =

And here’s some excerpts from an interview Maylin Tu had with Amanda Montell, August 13th 2021 (again, if you're interested in reading the complete article, click on the link following these excerpts):
“… Montell knows a thing or two about the human thirst for belonging and the extremes it can drive us to. She grew up listening to her dad's stories about Synanon, a notorious Bay Area cult he was part of as a teenager.
But it wasn't just her dad's stories. Montell heard cultish language everywhere she went, sensing that it "imbues our everyday lives." So, she set out to figure out how cults and cultish groups use language to influence people. The result is Cultish, her latest book.”:

Maylin Tu:
There's been so much interest in your book and I think part of it is how nonchalant it is about the central premise: Cultishness is everywhere.

Amanda Montell:
I'm inspired by the work of Mary Roach (the popular science writer) who takes this darkly funny, curious, enthusiastic, sometimes slightly irreverent approach to topics like death and war and digestion. I did try to do a lot of work towards the beginning of the book to establish this edgy idea that cults aren't just the Jonestowns and the Heaven's Gates. There is no objective, hard and fast, singular definition for what a cult is — and there never has been. Cultishness is a spectrum and none of us are totally absolved of it.

Maylin Tu:
Was there a direction that your research went that you weren't expecting?
Amanda Montell:
The first major turn it took was finding out the phenomenon of brainwashing doesn't even exist. Brainwashing is just a metaphor, nothing more. It's not a scientific or testable phenomenon. I was like, "Okay, how does language work to brainwash us?" It's literally just a metaphor that's used to pass judgment: "You're brainwashed, no, you're brainwashed, they're brainwashed."

And I think the book also caused me to develop a real sense of empathy. I was concerned that by the end I would just become a cynical misanthrope and wouldn't ever want to get involved with any kind of group ever again. But really, throughout the process I learned that humans are spiritual, irrational and cultish by nature, and that that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. You just have to make sure that the groups that you're involved in aren't exploiting your power and your identity.
Maylin Tu:
This idea that people are brainwashed is almost comforting. That people who believe harmful ideas want to believe them — something about that feels disturbing.
Amanda Montell:
That was the spooky thing. Nobody can convince someone to believe something wacky or dangerous that they don't on some level want to believe. You can't just blame a cultish leader for your beliefs. You can only really exploit the beliefs and proclivities that someone already has and push them into a more and more extreme version of that. And you get them into a position where their already existing human reasoning flaws start to kick in, like confirmation bias and sunk cost fallacy. But it is never too late to resist if you want to push back.
Maylin Tu:
Did writing this book during a pandemic give you any special insight into the average person's need for community?
Amanda Montell:
Oh, definitely. I went into this book trying really hard to withhold judgment, but I'm only human. And then over the course of the pandemic, I realized exactly how much I too need community, connection, answers and closure during crisis ridden times. And when there are certain people on the internet who are speaking with a lot of confidence, claiming to have the answers, and using these buzzwords, hashtags and euphemisms, it can get really easy to just hand over your loyalty.

And this is happening not just during the pandemic, but during the Black Lives Matter movement. You want someone to tell you what to believe and what to say. And I completely found myself succumbing to the influence of the loudest, most confident, most charismatic person on my feed, when really what is needed is a lot of nuance and private, careful consideration. Well — during Black Lives Matter what was also needed was immediate action and voices. But it does also leave room for people who have ill intentions to slide in and exploit that.
Maylin Tu:
What would you like to see groups do along the lines of consent that they're not doing?
Amanda Montell:
 I think groups need to leave space for questioning and to have a dialogue where you're not immediately shut down or made to feel like if you speak up, you're going to be ostracized. Groups need to make their members feel like you can participate casually. You can have one foot in and one foot out the door. And they need to be upfront about what membership requires.

And if you're starting a group — and by starting a group, I don't mean, are you building a socialist commune in the woods somewhere? I'm saying everything from a company to a social media space. You need to be thinking about those things too. Because it's the ethical thing to do. It's the empathetic thing to do. But also, none of us are absolved of cultish influence. And if you have a certain lust for power, then you're not absolved of responsibility either.

Edited by T-Bone
I'm surprised - I was able to add a post and edit ! whoopee !!!!