GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Classic: Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Zixar

I had the opportunity to read the screenplay for Kubrick's masterful comedy the other day while researching my own screenplay-in-progress.

Several things struck me as I paged through it and recalled the film:

-The rule of thumb for a film screenplay is that one page of script equals one minute of film, so writers are advised to shoot for no less than 80 pages and no more than 120 pages for a feature film. Dr. Strangelove is only 55 pages long, but the dialogue hits the perfect blend of satire and drama. (The movie runs 93 minutes.)

-I could just see George C. Scott showing he was just as keen a comic as he was an actor. "He'll see the Big Board!!!"

-Peter Sellers did not get half the credit he deserved in his life. It's obvious he played Group Captain Mandrake, and you can see him as Dr. Strangelove, but I think I saw it three times before I realized he was playing President Muffley as well. As the story goes, Sellers was even going to play Slim Pickens' character (Major Kong) but couldn't quite nail the Texas accent. He had also broken his leg before shooting started, which is why Muffley is always seated, Strangelove only leaves his wheelchair once ("Mein Fuehrer, I can VALK!") and Mandrake always walks with a cane.

-Sellers also gives one of the best phone gags ever filmed, the conversation between Muffley and Soviet Premier Kissov. It's the best deadpan-comedy bit I can remember.

-Kubrick wanted Pickens to play Major Kong absolutely straight, so he didn't tell him it was a comedy until after shooting wrapped.

- Fail Safe, with Henry Fonda and Larry Hagman is nearly the exact same movie, yet it's depressing as hell. As always, the script/direction/acting/perception shapes the same idea to two wildly different ends. Dr. Strangelove has aged better than Fail Safe because comedy helps the suspension of disbelief.

There's not just one reason the AFI rates this as #11 on their 100 Best Movies of All Time list.

• 3 weeks later...

keep studying buddy. interesting subject and one i too have been interested in 4 a song while. dr strangelove is a good flick. i loved it when pickens was riding the bomb, whoooping it up and waving his hat was he? good flick. i should look at it again sometime. have you seen soldier in the rain with jackie gleason and steve mcqueen?

marywonni