GreaseSpot Cafe

John Lynn's Legacy

modcat5

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

George, your comment highlights that many of us have fond remembrance of JAL based on long ago interactions and/or video or other communications with or from or about him.

To me, it's unfortunate and very sad that he evolved his persona the way he did. These are his words and they reflect who he became over the years.

I share this with you NOT to debate or discuss or bicker about the content of his views, just to document who he became. The vid claims it's from a "Biblical Worldview." That's debatable but hopefully not here. 

Frank Z has posted at GSC before... not using his real name (many of us don't anyway)

Let's crack it open on another thread. Im studying dispensationalism anyway and John went to the grave believing in administrations yet dispensationalism didn't exist really before John Nelson Darby. So theres that.

• Like 1

The video demonstrates that John really did preach against masks, vaccines and social distancing. Assuming COVID did indeed contribute to his death, that would probably fall under irony. If I am going to be consistent, I have to say it's fair game for discussion.

This is tricky, because for whatever reason, COVID has intersected with politics. We can't discuss one without discussing the other, and here at GSC we avoid political discussions.

So how do we do it?

JAL used his platform to spread misinformation. I'm sorry if that offends your politics, but it is reality. Masks work. Social distancing works. Vaccines work. John didn't believe that, and the disease killed him.

I will consult with the other moderators about the extent to which we will permit GSC to be used to spread medical misinformation. In the past, we've debated such issues to the point of exhaustion. But this is not the same as a discussion over the health benefits of superoxygenated water, which is harmless. Misinformation about COVID kills people.

Until the moderators reach a decision, comments on this thread will be approved before posting. 

After review, we're going to leave this thread up and allow people to discuss  any aspect of JAL's legacy. This is not merely a memorial page. There is one that was set up in the proper forum. This thread will be renamed to reflect its "open" intent.

• Upvote 1

• modcat5 changed the title to John Lynn's Legacy

I don't think JAL's lack of belief killed him.  Pandemics kill more than war.  Always have.

Who was this guy who's name is being thrown around?   What did he accomplish? He took PFAL and stuck around I assume.

Edited by Bolshevik
pronouns - ha!

I met him once. He came to St. Louis. I think he was there to promote the way corps. I got to play a couple of songs during the fellowship. I was tuning my guitar in the bathroom (best acoustics) and he walked in. He was nice. Some leadership seemed to believe that musicians were 2nd class believers...ego trips waiting to happen. John Lynn was NOT like that.

I was never really aware much of his post TWI ministry and any doctrinal differences, but it says a lot that so many disgruntled ex way people would rally around him. They say the cream rises to the top. John Lynn must've had some. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, johniam said:

Some leadership seemed to believe that musicians were 2nd class believers...ego trips waiting to happen. John Lynn was NOT like that.

That stems back to Pressed Down upstaging ole vic onstage and being sent out to do the trash run at HQ the next day as I undestand it. You know once Vic uttered anything it became gospel. The directors call it years of accumulated wisdom. I call it doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:00 AM, Raf said:

The video demonstrates that John really did preach against masks, vaccines and social distancing. Assuming COVID did indeed contribute to his death, that would probably fall under irony. If I am going to be consistent, I have to say it's fair game for discussion.

This is tricky, because for whatever reason, COVID has intersected with politics. We can't discuss one without discussing the other, and here at GSC we avoid political discussions.

So how do we do it?

JAL used his platform to spread misinformation. I'm sorry if that offends your politics, but it is reality. Masks work. Social distancing works. Vaccines work. John didn't believe that, and the disease killed him.

I will consult with the other moderators about the extent to which we will permit GSC to be used to spread medical misinformation. In the past, we've debated such issues to the point of exhaustion. But this is not the same as a discussion over the health benefits of superoxygenated water, which is harmless. Misinformation about COVID kills people.

Until the moderators reach a decision, comments on this thread will be approved before posting. 

After review, we're going to leave this thread up and allow people to discuss  any aspect of JAL's legacy. This is not merely a memorial page. There is one that was set up in the proper forum. This thread will be renamed to reflect its "open" intent.

And I guess (as a journalist) you believe in a persons right to disagree with your opinion yeah ?
I disagree that masks work. In fact the latest stats to come out of your country are that a school district (can't remember where, if I have to I'll look it up) showed virtually no differnce in transmission rates between masked and unmasked pupils. As for John Lynn, he died WITH covid, not BECAUSE of. It's called 'comorbidity' which is what the ONE percent of people who catch the 'rona die of, apart from the very elderly. In fact 99% of the elderly who die from/with corona have already lived PAST the average life span. Also, no argument vaccines DO work, it just appears the corona vaccine (like the flu shots) with their effectiveness waning after three months are not very effective. That is why the fear of the 'unvaccinated' from the 'vaccinated' is very palpable...just saying.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Allan said:

And I guess (as a journalist) you believe in a persons right to disagree with your opinion yeah ?
I disagree that masks work. In fact the latest stats to come out of your country are that a school district (can't remember where, if I have to I'll look it up) showed virtually no differnce in transmission rates between masked and unmasked pupils. As for John Lynn, he died WITH covid, not BECAUSE of. It's called 'comorbidity' which is what the ONE percent of people who catch the 'rona die of, apart from the very elderly. In fact 99% of the elderly who die from/with corona have already lived PAST the average life span. Also, no argument vaccines DO work, it just appears the corona vaccine (like the flu shots) with their effectiveness waning after three months are not very effective. That is why the fear of the 'unvaccinated' from the 'vaccinated' is very palpable...just saying.

And I'm confident you know that's obviously NOT the subject of this discussion.

1 hour ago, waysider said:

I'm going briefly off-topic here to alert readers that the Covid information posted above is glaringly incorrect and, quite frankly, dangerous.

Okay, back to the topic at hand.

That is, the text posted by Allan is glaringly (and dangerously) incorrect, yes.

On 9/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, Rocky said:

George, your comment highlights that many of us have fond remembrance of JAL based on long ago interactions and/or video or other communications with or from or about him.

To me, it's unfortunate and very sad that he evolved his persona the way he did. These are his words and they reflect who he became over the years.

I share this with you NOT to debate or discuss or bicker about the content of his views, just to document who he became. The vid claims it's from a "Biblical Worldview." That's debatable but hopefully not here. 

Frank Z has posted at GSC before... not using his real name (many of us don't anyway)

Looks like Frank Z didn't like us criticizing his interview. It's still available on YouTube. https://youtu.be/yN8r0r7JVns

Edited by Rocky

3 hours ago, waysider said:

I'm going briefly off-topic here to alert readers that the Covid information posted above is glaringly incorrect and, quite frankly, dangerous.

I’ll be :offtopic: too… the misinformation seems reminiscent of a cult-like mindset  - which tends to ignore science, facts and reality- throws caution to the wind , scoffs at practical countermeasures and no concern for the safety and well-being of others…

oh no I’m having a LEAD flashback…wierwille is giving us the big send off and reminds us to believe God big and everything will be okay…”now get out there and hitch! You’re my kids …so make me proud!”

Edited by T-Bone
Only the off-topic portion was edited and no real editors were harmed in the process

16 hours ago, Allan said:

Ok, you get the last word. Subject closed [on this thread]

Edited by Raf
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, waysider said:

John Lynn's legacy is the subject of this thread. Let's move on.

• Upvote 1

I met John Lynn in person twice. He was the Region leader & New York Limb Leader when I got involved in TWI. First time was when he opened up his office to a handful of us from Queens to sit and observe how his day went (I'm reasonably sure this was something he did regularly). It was pretty strange though, one of us started to ask a question and he told us that there would be no questions or conversation, we were just there to observe. So we spent all day sitting quietly watching him do paperwork, read the Bible and take occasional phone calls. I tried to convince myself that I had learned something, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't. We had been invited to stay for dinner, but if I remember correctly, Pat Lynn put us to work deboning chicken and cutting up vegetables and John was nowhere to be seen when dinner was ready. It was within a year after taking PFAL. 

The second time was when for some reason he was going to teach at our Way Home. Our living room/dining room was packed like sardines - the enclosed porch behind him was filling up fast, as was the kitchen at the back of the house. We hadn't had much notice that this was happening and one of the roommates had cooked some fish for lunch that day. And the house smelled like someone had cooked fish. We frantically doused the place with air fresheners and lit candles...to no avail. When he arrived (well before the place started filling up) he stopped, sniffed the pungent air and with a straight face said "You guys want to cast out that devil spirit before I start?" and then burst out laughing and suggested we open the windows!

I enjoyed his humor and thought he was a very effective speaker and humorist. (I still can remember snippets of "The Devil's Bathroom" and his funny summary of PFAL), and didn't pay much attention to what he was doing once I got out of TWI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, Galen said:

Does anyone remember what books did JAL write? 

After twi, I have no idea.

In twi, he wrote 3 books-  "Will the Real You Please Stand Up?"  "Will the Real You Please Remain Standing?"  "Living in the Eye of the Storm."