GreaseSpot Cafe

The Abortion Doctrine

Bolshevik

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Throughout all (without exception) of victor’s writings and sermons, hundreds, even thousands, of contradictions like this are NOT merely apparent. They literally leap off the page to stand unassailable on their own, above all.

Speaking only for myself, I believe this is the salient point of this thread.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, penworks said:

Just for the record, from my files:

Wierwille's contradictory teachings on "soul life" 

1971:

Wierwille's Power for Abundant Living book, Pg. 237

“The soul life is in the blood and is passed on when the sperm impregnates the egg at the time of fertilization.” 

1977: 

Christian Family and Sex class, 1977 syllabus, Pg. 12

“The most dramatic part of the birth is the crowning because this is when the baby takes its first breath of life and becomes a living soul.”

1979:

Advanced Class on Power for Abundant Living, Segment 9 (on tape which I no longer have):

“The first breath of a child is soul life, until that time, there’s no soul life.”

Hi Penworks, thx for that!    I know of one other interpretation by TWI that was posted on GS once, from Free Spirit Magazine arguing against late-term abortion written by D. Craley that if the baby can live by itself outside the womb, it's presumed to have its own soul and shouldn't be aborted.   I think the piece was from the 80s.    But that quote from 1971 is amazing and should have settled it!

5 hours ago, oldiesman said:

Hi Penworks, thx for that!    I know of one other interpretation by TWI that was posted on GS once, from Free Spirit Magazine arguing against late-term abortion written by D. Craley that if the baby can live by itself outside the womb, it's presumed to have its own soul and shouldn't be aborted.   I think the piece was from the 80s.    But that quote from 1971 is amazing and should have settled it!

Regarding D Craley, I'm confident he would never have been in the shoes of a woman with a late-term pregnancy. If he wrote such an op-ed, bless his heart. But it's important for anyone giving any thought to what such a woman would be going through, I suspect NO healthy woman, with a healthy pregnancy, and a healthy fetus, would even be considering aborting.

Just sayin'. Not opining in this comment about the morality of abortion at any stage of a pregnancy. Just trying to imagine such a scenario.

If you don't mind me saying..

After all of the "research" of how abortion is not murder, biblically speaking.. subject only to a fine vs. death..

And one is confronted with an unexpected pregnancy.. financial ruin so to speak, uncertain future..

all of that previous supposed rightly divided doctrine just melted away.

Unplanned did not equal unwanted.  By no means..

we found a way.

I could not even imagine a modern world without this persons presence..

I feel in this particular case:  Abortion = Murder.  Or that it would have..

It has been said that birth control was discouraged or forbidden for women involved in The Way, Inc, but abortion was approved, even encouraged and mandated, effectively making abortion a form of birth control.

Does anyone remember how or why the prohibition of birth control was doctrinally justified?

Edited by Nathan_Jr

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

It has been said that birth control was discouraged or forbidden for women involved in The Way, Inc, but abortion was approved, even encouraged and mandated, effectively making abortion a form of birth control.

Does anyone remember how or why the prohibition of birth control was doctrinally justified?

Or any documentation thereof?

12 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

During my time in TWI (1970-1987) I never heard anyone say birth control was forbidden. But I was in the 2nd Way Corps, so evidently this rule came later. Don't know who is responsible for it.

This is another example of inconsistent, scattered changes instituted throughout a cult as years go by depending on which leaders say what.

In my day, VPW told us married people to use birth control and wait for a couple of years to have kids so we could have those years to establish our marriages. 

In my recent blog post, I point out reasons why Way stories can vary so much. 

https://charleneedge.com/speaking-of-way-stories/