GreaseSpot Cafe

Dune

Twinky

I just got in from watching Dune at the cinema (or "movies" to Americans).  What a weird fillum!  Maybe not so weird if one has read the book upon which it is based.  All new to me, though.  

Anybody else seen it?  What do you think?

I recently watched it and really enjoyed ! 

I also think Dune – whether the 1965 novel or the different movie versions is an acquired taste...the storyline has some interesting themes: religion, politics, superhero, and messiahs…Of course, it does help if you’ve read the book first. I’m a sci-fi fan anyway – my older brother loaned me his Dune novel when I was about 12 years old. There’s a 1984 version of Dune directed by David Lynch that covers the whole book – whereas the 2021 Dune does not – but either version I enjoyed them both.

I think the person I went with will be lending me the book this evening.  He saw the original film.  

It struck me that there were a lot of themes, particularly the religious one, that could be developed (and perhaps are, in the book).  From the "newbie" PoV, it struck me that there are a lot of things I've seen elsewhere - Star Wars, the Lord of the Rings movies especially, a few others.  But I understand that the original movie pre-dates those films.  But (say) The Lord of the Rings trilogy books predated the book Dune by quite a long way.  

The unbelievableness of the new Dune film was really: interstellar travel, a vast universe, an empire of many planets, personal defence shields, city defence shields, stillsuits - and ancient weaponry (like spotlights) for hunting enemy aircraft.  And the weird clothing - draped dresswear, near-rags, seriously inappropriate long flapping robes and cloaks.  I didn't quite get why the stillsuit needs to be tight on the body but there's no head covering (which would be essential, but would make features hard to see).

And of course everybody looks human, even though we're told that only Paul and his father and the people he controls are supposed to be humans, and are criticised from within the movie as such.  Not sure what the others are supposed to be.  Is his mother "human" or something else, with her sisterhood and other talents?

Okay.  Read the book, Twinky.

5 hours ago, Twinky said:

I  Is his mother "human" or something else, with her sisterhood and other talents?

Okay.  Read the book, Twinky.

short answer - she's human - and belongs to a religious order - kinda like Jedi in Star Wars - see link below

Reverend Mother | Dune Wiki | Fandom