GreaseSpot Cafe

Twi-Gatekeepers No More

skyrider

Wierwille was a man of many secrets.  And thus, plenty of things needed hidden or guarded from public view.

Not only did he build a ministry (cough, cough) based on lies.....he strategically implemented a series of tactics through the years to cover his tracks. 

• The foundational class and class-based ministry work was B.G. Leonard.
  • Wierwille utilized cunning strategy to distance himself from all his plagiarized sources.
  • The class was NOT enough.  Wierwille fabricated a story wherein God's audible voice told him to "teach the Word."
  • Preemptive strikes were inserted in pfal to keep students from questioning wierwille's integrity or doctrine.
  • The corps training was an indoctrination program.....isolation, intimidation, immersion, indoctrination, idolization.
  • Corps were taught the "lockbox theorem"...... sworn to keep things (seductive, sordid, scandalous) secret.
  • Salted vows to wierwille's ministry .... for the rest of your life.  No.  Matter.  What.
  • Corps coordinators were the "salt blocks" of the salted..... knowing of wierwille's / martindale's sexual predation.
  • Gatekeepers have ALWAYS BEEN NEEDED...... wierwille was a man of many secrets.

Anyone and everyone who had ever tried to confront wierwille was quickly sniffed out as a "spiritual enemy."  The status of the individual was the determining factor on which method to use.  In the case of the *great theologian on the other side of the English Channel* (in pfal)......why, wierwille wouldn't waste his time trying to discuss (debate) the guy.  Ole wierwille "had forgotten more of the word that that guy ever knew."  Dismissed....swatted away (just like that).  B.G. Leonard had lots right, but his written communication skills were awful (in other words, not qualified to lead others).  And, those spiritual leaders at that Tulsa Convention were "great men".....but they couldn't lead wierwille into speaking in tongues.  See. The.  Pattern. ??

At age 51, when wierwille filmed pfal..... he had learned how to be cunning and crafty.  Wierwille was a plagiarist and a phony.  He had to have enablers and gatekeepers to protect him.  Men with genuine ministries do NOT need gatekeepers (1. a person or persons in charge to control passage through it; 2. any person or thing that controls access or otherwise regulates).

Keeping the Secrets:  How many in the inner sanctum knew the secrets?  How many categories of secrets are there?  1) History of "The False Teacher" (he was a plagiarist, thru and thru), 2) Bloviated India Mission Trip (Dr. I.S. Williams was host and opened all the doors, wierwille spoke for 15-20 minutes at Jain Convention, no major results from this ego-trip), 3) Wierwille's sexual predation (how many enablers knew? -- trustees? wives? corps coordinators, bodyguards? procurers? harem? seductresses? etc?), 4) Wierwille was an alcoholic.....heavy drinker, 5) Wierwille was a misogynist....even makes a couple of derogatory remarks towards women in pfal, 6) Wierwille was a striker and a bully.... which disqualified him [I Timothy 3], 7) Wierwille wasn't a "research guy"..... Walter Cummins and twi's research team were penned in by pfal-confinements, 8) Secrets Etcetera.....in other words, wierwille was NOT "the" (or "a") man of God that The Way International claimed he was.  

• Secrets throughout his life.
  • Secrets to this day.

Yet, twi made a bone-headed mistake.  They allowed Mrs. Wierwille to write Born Again to Serve.....and she gave a detailed history of ALL THE MEN WHO TAUGHT WIERWILLE and were instrumental in his growth.  Unwittingly, she unveiled a swath of secrets.  :biglaugh:

Years ago, I delved into this topic.....Twi-Gatekeepers ended with Waydale/GSC.

With the internet, twi will NEVER be the same.  Lots and lots of secrets are exposed for all to see.  The gatekeepers cannot control the information.  Splinter groups, led by complicit corps coordinators, cannot cover the tracks of a false teacher (trying to peddle his wares).  The corrupt gatekeepers would like to CONTROL THE ACCESS OF THIS INFORMATION......but they can't.  

Corrupt gatekeepers are hirelings.....wanting to fleece the sheep some more.  

• Like 1

"The class was NOT enough.  Wierwille fabricated a story wherein God's audible voice told him to "teach the Word." "

Naturally, when you took the actual class, the biggest claim he made in it is that this is the field to which he had dedicated his life.  There's no mention of God talking to him audibly, no snow job, nothing.   People taking pfal are still able to see the snare at that point, so he hid the trap better until later when people were lulled into a sense of security.

37 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

"The class was NOT enough.  Wierwille fabricated a story wherein God's audible voice told him to "teach the Word." "

Naturally, when you took the actual class, the biggest claim he made in it is that this is the field to which he had dedicated his life.  There's no mention of God talking to him audibly, no snow job, nothing.   People taking pfal are still able to see the snare at that point, so he hid the trap better until later when people were lulled into a sense of security.

Thanks WordWolf.....yep, no mention in pfal of "God talking to him audibly."

Wierwille slips it in the backdoor ...... thru the corps indoctrination program. 

He tells (fabricates this story out of whole cloth) this contrived story to the corps....something that he didn't even tell his wife the day it (supposedly) happened (cough, cough).  Then, telling it decades later....to *notch his greatness on a higher peg* for unbridled adulation from his loyalist corps and followers.  Yeah, right.  The story was told in different versions..... wierwille was lying and couldn't keep his own "facts" straight.  :anim-smile:

"When did twi's stranglehold on wierwille's mog-status, impact and legacy lose its grip?

1. Did the stranglehold cease when many clergy/corps dissented and exited in late '70s or early '80s?
  2. Did the stranglehold cease when wierwille died in May 1985?
  3. Did the stranglehold cease when geer read "The Patriarch" paper at corps week, 1986?
  4. Did the stranglehold cease when lynn and others wrote that 37-page proclamation?
  5. Did the stranglehold cease with an exodus of a reported 80% of corps leadership?
  6. Did the stranglehold cease when dozens of splinter groups started preaching "the truth?"
  7. When did the stranglehold cease?

Well......imo, the stranglehold ceased when twi-gatekeepers could NO LONGER control the message or contain the secrets.  The leaders (cough, cough) who exited en masse after "the poop paper propaganda" did very little to release the wierwille-the-man-of-God vise grip.  The geer camp kept beating the same drum.  The lynn camp did better.....but just seemed to sidestep the wierwille doctrine/legacy in many ways.  What about the finn3gan camp?  The summ3rville camp?  Others?  The shr0yer camp seemed to embrace the wierwille doctrine more closely.....of which, the two younger wierwille kids hitched a ride to keep the embers glowing?

The stranglehold was BROKEN when Waydale in April 1999 took the fight directly at Martindale and twi.  The full onslaught of punches caught martindale/twi off guard and in a defensive posture.  Pa-ul All3n hit them with an uppercut that left them staggering to find the ropes.  From a position of husband-rage and legal strength, this man went on a relentless, 18-hours a day, flurry of punches that staggered the corporate "giant."  Month after month, the scandalous secrets poured forth on Waydale.  Twi mandated that their followers stay off the internet and, it didn't take long before martindale had to publically admit to this "consensual affair."  Twi knew that Waydale was, indeed, a formidable foe.

.....snip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the *1986 Corps Exodus* ...... lots of those EX-corps coordinators went forth to start splinter groups and initiate the SAME CLASSES AND PATTERNS that they learned from wierwille.

After the *2016 Corps Exodus* ...... four of those EX-corps coordinators went forth to start splinter groups and initiate the SAME CLASSES AND PATTERNS that they learned from wierwille.

See the pattern?  :spy:

That's why Waydale/GSC has been INVALUABLE to setting the captives free.  :dance::dance::dance:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, skyrider said:

Not only did he build a ministry (cough, cough) based on lies.....he strategically implemented a series of tactics through the years to cover his tracks. 

• The foundational class and class-based ministry work was B.G. Leonard.
  • Wierwille utilized cunning strategy to distance himself from all his plagiarized sources.
  • The class was NOT enough.  Wierwille fabricated a story wherein God's audible voice told him to "teach the Word."
  • Preemptive strikes were inserted in pfal to keep students from questioning wierwille's integrity or doctrine.
  • The corps training was an indoctrination program.....isolation, intimidation, immersion, indoctrination, idolization.
  • Corps were taught the "lockbox theorem"...... sworn to keep things (seductive, sordid, scandalous) secret.
  • Salted vows to wierwille's ministry .... for the rest of your life.  No.  Matter.  What.
  • Corps coordinators were the "salt blocks" of the salted..... knowing of wierwille's / martindale's sexual predation.
  • Gatekeepers have ALWAYS BEEN NEEDED...... wierwille was a man of many secrets.

Anyone and everyone who had ever tried to confront wierwille was quickly sniffed out as a "spiritual enemy." 

This is true. And it shines a very bright spotlight on a key aspect of Wierwille's character (actually, lack thereof): His life and "ministry" was entirely a shame-based fraud from the get go.

Understanding shame-based identity

What are shame based cultures?

In cultural anthropology, a shame culture, also called honour-shame culture or shame society, is the concept that, in a given society, the primary device for gaining control over children and maintaining social order is the inculcation of shame and the complementary threat of ostracism.

So, how did Wierwille gain control over his followers (to the extent he may have had control)? Can you say "mark and avoid?" The entire basis of the cult was the sense of belonging. 

But I digress.

This all figures into the concept of Dark Persuasion, which accounts for the growth of twi in the 1970s. Of course, after Wierwille's demise, the mystique began to fade. But with the advent of the interwebs, and Waydale, it was increasingly difficult for twi to maintain it's allure in the US and Europe. Is it any wonder why whatever "growth" twi has had since Martindale was deposed from the throne has been in places where the reach of the GSC is attenuated because of limited internet reach?

Edited by Rocky
correct links

13 hours ago, Rocky said:

So, how did Wierwille gain control over his followers (to the extent he may have had control)? Can you say "mark and avoid?" The entire basis of the cult was the sense of belonging. 

But I digress.

This all figures into the concept of Dark Persuasion, which accounts for the growth of twi in the 1970s. Of course, after Wierwille's demise, the mystique began to fade. But with the advent of the interwebs, and Waydale, it was increasingly difficult for twi to maintain it's allure in the US and Europe. Is it any wonder why whatever "growth" twi has had since Martindale was deposed from the throne has been in places where the reach of the GSC is attenuated because of limited internet reach?

"So, how did Wierwille gain control over his followers....."

That continues to be an interesting question.  From 1958-1966, when wierwille was traveling from city to city, teaching pfal classes live (in-person)......most everyone after finishing this class went back to their home-church.  The percentage of people who dropped their associations and support system to follow wierwille's ministry were miniscule.  Through all of his failures, wierwille adapted:

• When technology advanced, wierwille got pfal filmed on 16mm (1967)
  • Invited youth to come and stay at Summer School Camps (longer, extended access)
  • Built a system of hierarchy.....peers leading novice peers
  • Target the youth.  Camps, music, night owls, rock of ages festivals.
  • First corps training was a failure.  "Zero Corps."
  • More adjustments.  Corps training at HQ.

Whatever you call this conditioning and controlling technique.......1) Spiritual Abuse, 2) Total Thought Reform (Lifton book), 3) Pavlov's Dog Conditioning, 4) Cult Indoctrination, 5) Dark Persuasion, or 6) Mass Formation ..... the result was the same.  

Much like hypnosis......the focus was on one thing for an extended time!!  Focus on pfal material.....over and over and over again.  Sit thru this class again and again.  Become class instructor and lead others thru this process.  Go WOW..... run pfal classes.  Go corps.... and first 6 weeks were pfal material.

Then, isolated from society as a whole and indoctrinated .... the corps objective was to FOCUS on wierwille, the cult leader.  Unbridled adulation of wierwille on corps campuses and at hq.  The corps graduates were then sent forth to help anchor this mass formation hypnosis:  Wierwille was THE man of God.  No matter how many times, or ways GSC posters dismantle the absurdity of twi's claim of victor paul wierwille as The Teacher, The Man of God, Father in the Word, or "Dr. Wierwille".......the hypnotic trance of hundreds (thousands?) is not shaken.  THAT is some powerful voodoo that many of us experienced.  :evilshades:

Edited by skyrider
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

. . .

Whatever you call this conditioning and controlling technique.......1) Spiritual Abuse, 2) Total Thought Reform (Lifton book), 3) Pavlov's Dog Conditioning, 4) Cult Indoctrination, 5) Dark Persuasion, or 6) Mass Formation ..... the result was the same.  

Much like hypnosis......the focus was on one thing for an extended time!!  Focus on pfal material.....over and over and over again.  Sit thru this class again and again.  Become class instructor and lead others thru this process.  Go WOW..... run pfal classes.  Go corps.... and first 6 weeks were pfal material.

Then, isolated from society as a whole and indoctrinated .... the corps objective was to FOCUS on wierwille, the cult leader.  Unbridled adulation of wierwille on corps campuses and at hq.  The corps graduates were then sent forth to help anchor this mass formation hypnosis:  Wierwille was THE man of God.  No matter how many times, or ways GSC posters dismantle the absurdity of twi's claim of victor paul wierwille as The Teacher, The Man of God, Father in the Word, or "Dr. Wierwille".......the hypnotic trance of hundreds (thousands?) is not shaken.  THAT is some powerful voodoo that many of us experienced.  :evilshades:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealization_and_devaluation

Psychoanalytic theory posits that an individual unable to integrate difficult feelings mobilizes specific defenses to overcome these feelings, which the individual perceives to be unbearable. The defense that effects this process is called splitting. Splitting is the tendency to view events or people as either all bad or all good.[1] When viewing people as all good, the individual is said to be using the defense mechanism idealization: a mental mechanism in which the person attributes exaggeratedly positive qualities to the self or others. When viewing people as all bad, the individual employs devaluation: attributing exaggeratedly negative qualities to the self or others.

In child development, idealization and devaluation are quite normal. During the childhood development stage, individuals become capable of perceiving others as complex structures, containing both good and bad components. If the development stage is interrupted (by early childhood trauma, for example), these defense mechanisms may persist into adulthood.

A reason to target younger crowds.

Edited by Bolshevik
Splitting text to idealized format
  • Upvote 1

How did Wierwille gain control over his followers?

That's easy.  He taught some genuine (though plagiarised) Bible, taught some good, useful, interesting, stuff.  And he was able to get away with it because either the victims were badly taught in churches they'd attended; or they'd not attended church before, didn't know much about God or the Bible; and in both cases this new course or class showed them something new.  If you'd never heard stuff taught like this before, and been shown Bible verses to back up what was being said, this was something new.  If you're hungry, you'll eat anything.

And then, you were undoubtedly surrounded by a bunch of really happy, enthusiastic young people who genuinely appeared to love God, believe God, and had passion in their lives.  Who doesn't want to be around enthusiastic and happy people?

So if this is the only place you've heard what seems to be genuine Bible teaching, where you haven't heard things like this before, where you've become disillusioned with the church(es) you've been to previously where you hate stuff that isn't doctrinal, or where practices don't line up with what you perceive of God - why wouldn't you stick around?

Many people here, and others that I've known, have said that they were delivered from the idolatry of Catholicism.  But they might (or might not) have ventured into a protestant church of some ilk, and not found that much better.  But here - here, was something that seemed to have depth.

For myself, even though I was aware of discrepancies, things that just didn't quite fit together in PFAL, well, I still hadn't heard as much Bible taught as this (initially).  I gave the Leecher, sorry, the Teacher, the benefit of the doubt - we all make mistakes, especially when speaking more or less extempore (haha).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DogLover said:

In the interview VPW had with Elena Whiteside while she was writing a book about The Way (THE WAY LIVING IN LOVE), he told in detail (and she wrote) about God speaking to him audibly. That book was written in the early 1970s.

Thanks DogLover.....

This link details vpw's claims in Mrs. Wierwille's book, Born Again to Serve..... Black Snowstorm

p. 42 & 43

After all this activity and reaching out to learn more, I must know to satisy my inner yearning. And so I stood in my newly rented office and prayed to the Father. "Father, teach me the Word, teach me the Word." He told me as plain as day that if I would study the Word, He would teach me the Word like He had not been able to teach it to anybody since the first century. And, of course, at that time I thought, "Now that's a dandy. Boy, if I learned this Word of God, everybody will listen to me. The whole church will be blessed; my denomination will grow by leaps and bounds because we'll have the Word of God." And I thought that was terrrific. But during the process of that revelation, I said, "Father, how will I know that this is You and that You'll really teach it to me? Because I had worked the Word in commentaries and the rest of it, and I couldn't understand it, couldn't get it to fit.

And the sun was shining brightly. It was in the fall of the year. Gorgeous. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. And just on the inside of me it seemed to say, "Well, just say to the Father, "Well, if it'll just snow right now, you'll just know that this is God talking to you.'" Cause you see. I'd never had much experience with God's talking to me. And this business of His saying to me, just as audibly as I am speaking to you, that He'd teach me the Word if I'd teach it, sort of shook me. I'd been expecting to hear from heaven for a long time, but I hadn't heard that way before. Oh, my ears were perhaps clogged up. Since that time I've heard a lot of things from Him.

And I said, "Lord, to know that this is true, I'd like to see it snow." And I opened my eyes, and it was pitch-black, almost pitch-black outside, and the snow was falling so thick. I have never seen it fall that thick since that day.

And I sat in that little office, and I cried like a baby. Because I guess it was about my time to cry because I'd grown up but I didn't know the Word. And from that day on since He promised He'd teach me the Word, I have tried with all my heart to learn this Word.

Edited by skyrider
added page numbers for reference
  • Like 1

Reminds me of the time I found the Tesseract.  Then I explained to everyone that they should do what I say and be me amazed for the privilege to do so.  Some were like, . . . but why? . . . And I said, "Because I have a shiny stone" and looked at them like they are idiots.

I'd been expecting to hear from heaven for a long time . . .

But why?

but I hadn't heard that way before.

Similar events happened before?

Although gatekeepers might still try to put wierwille back on a pedestal......he was a deeply flawed, narcissistic opportunist.  All of the incremental steps of his plagiarist past were largely revealed by Mrs. Wierwille's book, Born Again to Serve.

Unwittingly, this 1996 book was written to elevate vpw's legacy did the opposite.  

This was an unforced error by the Indoctrination Central Command at HQ.  :biglaugh:

~~~~~~~~~

Long gone are the days when wierwille could hide behind the mask of revisionist history.  Anyone who wants to know details, timelines, and hard-hitting facts can research the past.  Mrs. Wierwille's book, Born Again to Serve, gives us plenty to dispel the myths.

• Tragedy, sadness and death at the wierwille farm [p.12]
  • Vpw disliked conformity of riding school bus....got a motorcycle in high school [p.16]
  • The wierwilles married in secret to bypass seminary code regulations [p.28]
  • On July 6, 1941....vpw installed as minister for St. Jacob's Evangelical and Reformed Church in Payne, Ohio [p.33]
  • In June 1944, wierwilles move to Van Wert, Ohio....bigger church, St. Peter's Evangelical and Reformed Church [p.45]
  • Wierwille attends E. Stanley Jones Ashram in North Carolina....in July 1944 [p.48]
  • On July 28, 1948....wierwille gets "doctorate" from degree-mill Pikes Peak Seminary in Manitou Springs, Colorado [p.67]
  • In February 1953....vpw sits thru B.G. Leonard's class "The Gifts of the Spirit" in Calgary, Alberta [p.91]
  • Etc. etc......
  • Wierwilles leave the denominational church in August 1957 [p.216]
  • On December 19, 1957.....wierwilles run first meeting of "The Way, Inc." [p.219]

Back in the 70's.......wierwille bloviated over his calling, accomplishments, credentials, etc. but a thorough study shows the real picture.  Incrementally and strategically, wierwille was an opportunist.  He utilized plagiarism, a degree-mill seminary, and a stolen class to gain a small portion of accreditation. Yet, even then.......adults were not easily fooled by these tactics.  Thus, wierwille's target was the youth.  Once off the church payroll, wierwille struggled immensely for nearly 15 years [1957-1972] to garner a following.  

I contend that wierwille's "career accomplishments" had 3 segments:

1. 16 years on church payroll.....in Payne and Van Wert, Ohio [1941-1957]
  2. 14 years struggling to build a following and pay the bills  [1958-1972]
  3. 10 years of exceeding growth, prosperity and adulation [1972-1982]

It wasn't until March 1972.....when wierwille swooped in and grabbed Doop's and Hefner's ministry work......that transformed twi into a youth movement.  Mrs. Wierwille's book documents the struggles and challenges.  Even people who sat in wierwille's live classes in 1961, 1962, 1963, etc......did NOT stick.  They sat thru his class, but then went back to their church.  Time and again, wierwille pleads in his mailing list to stay faithful to his ministry and TITHE WEEKLY.  Even when pfal was filmed in 1967, wierwille was struggling mightily to stay ahead of the bills for the studio, lighting, furniture.

Some regard "The Red Thread" as one of wierwille's best teachings......yet, it was plagiarized from Rev. Oral Roberts.  Was wierwille so spiritually bankrupt that even at the tail end of his ministry years he still had to plagiarize from others?  Yep.

Stolen teachings.  Stolen classes. Stolen glory.

So, really......only about 10 years of a thriving ministry until wierwille retired in October 1982 and handed the reins over to Martindale.  When wierwille stepped off-stage.....the power conflicts began in earnest.  Subtle at first.....but nonetheless, they were there.  The top-tier leaders were staking their claims to their regions.  Geer was in Europe.  Former corps coordinators had gained measurable influence.  Wierwille died and twi splintered a hundred ways.

Research the facts.......stop the indoctrination.

• Like 1

"Whatever you call this conditioning and controlling technique.......1) Spiritual Abuse, 2) Total Thought Reform (Lifton book), 3) Pavlov's Dog Conditioning, 4) Cult Indoctrination, 5) Dark Persuasion, or 6) Mass Formation ..... the result was the same."

• Studies suggest that mass formation follows a general distribution:

• 30% are brainwashed, hypnotized, indoctrinated by the group narrative
  • 40% in the middle are persuadable and may follow if no worthy alternative is perceived
  • 30% fight against the narrative.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Could it be that all that *1970's growth and prosperity in twi* was Mass Formation Psychosis?  The youth were targeted, because their minds (until age 25) are not yet equipped with critical thinking analysis skills.  Seemingly, wierwille and his lieutenants installed "leaders" ages 26-32 over us 20 year olds......to keep marching us forward!!  The 30% highly indoctrinated (or opportunistic) leaders amongst us kept the peer pressure on the middle 40% followers.  Then, there were a percentage (30%?) of wait-just-a-dad-gum-minute-that's-not-right group.

Anyone who was paying attention knows that each year after corps graduation......dozens of their fellow-corps slipped away and didn't attend the next year's rock of ages.  Yet, the top-tier 30% kept marching forward.  Mass Formation Psychosis.  The collective mass of energized youth committed to get "The Word over the world."  Each stage of this psychosis was elevated to another higher stage.  The only way mass formation psychosis works is by consistently moving to another stage.....or, by moving the goal posts.

During the martindale era.....when "word over the world" was no longer viable, suddenly we were to enter The Prevailing Word stage of growth.  Adding to this mass formation, we were to be Living Sanctified (no more old wineskins, no more pfal material).  By 1996 or so, we were to be "Prevailing:  Crossing the Bridge into the Promised Land."  Each year.....another manufactured goal to achieve.

So, looking back.....what do I see?.......the 1970 growth spurt in twi was all manufactured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

. . . 

Anyone who was paying attention knows that each year after corps graduation......dozens of their fellow-corps slipped away and didn't attend the next year's rock of ages.  Yet, the top-tier 30% kept marching forward.

. . .

Many are called . . . few are chosen . . . why are you still here?  Cause 'yer more special than the rest . . . confirmation bias something something

It's like you're describing a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution shift . . . only using the process of regression within a group . . . limits of which Thanos would call a simple calculus.

"So, looking back.....what do I see?.......the 1970 growth spurt in twi was all manufactured."

What else do I see? 

• Hyperbolic titles were attributed to vpw and his inner circle of enablers
  • Histrionics were part and parcel to demonizing all who left twi

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clearly, vpw was enamored with titles......it fed his narcissistic personality disorder.  As an ordained minister, Payne and Van Wert, Ohio victor was a reverend to his congregations.  In denominational circles, this designation was proper.....but when wierwille sought a doctorate in 1948 from a degree-mill outfit in Colorado (Pikes Peak Seminary in Manitou Springs, CO) his climb to this narcissistic summit was underway.  Did the Van Wert congregation need a "Dr. Wierwille" more than they needed a Rev. Wierwille to pastor their flock?  LOL

After stealing B.G. Leonard's class in 1953, wierwille began teaching this class in the Van Wert Church basement.  For nearly 14 years, wierwille traveled from city to city teaching this foundational class.  So, with the 1967 filming of pfal.....wierwille signed off by saying, "....just write The Teacher."  Add another 4-7 years (1971)....and wierwille is "The man of God."  And, at big events he was introduced as the Founding President of The Way International (which he was.... albeit, its "founding" had a stolen class in the secret closet).  Add another 9-11 years (1981).....and wierwille notched up to "Father in the Word."

• So, if you took pfal.....wierwille "fathered you in the Word?"  LOL

Same hyperbole was dealt to those who left twi.  Most especially, these slanders were reserved for way corps leaders.  Behind closed doors, the histrionics elevated rapidly on a scale of 1-10.  If the corps person was a major player....(region guy, trunk leader, bodyguard or department coordinator).... then the fireworks began!!  Wierwille's favorite detested slander was "cop-out."  When this confrontation in the heat of the moment was witnessed by others, wierwille was inject the "possessed" label.....and name the "spirit" (i.e. lying spirit, deceiving spirit).  Notably, ANYONE who was abandoning wierwille's ministry was being "deceived by a spirit."

No big-name corps leader was allowed to walk away from twi without slander.....without character assassination.

Martindale labeled Chris Geer with having 6 (SIX) daimon spirits....the big guys, the commanding spirits over others.  In those Galatian teachings, later renamed the Leadership Tapes.....lcm went thru the list of these daimon spirits, one-by-one.  

• Those who opposed "dr. wierwille" had spirits, or spiritual influence
  • Corps that abandoned twi were cop-outs, possessed
  • Major church denominational leaders were "Seed Men"
  • Geer, Lynn, Shroyer, others......deceiving spirits, etc.
  • Generic slanders on corps......he/she was "worldly"
  • If you don't heed instruction, God won't spit in your direction
  • Grease spots by midnight

Perhaps, someone could refresh my memory on "grease spots by midnight".......IIRC, it came into twi's lexicon around 1995 (when many decided to exit twi after martindale/reynolds claimed that *the word was over the world.*)  Seemingly, it contained fear hysteria......if you leave twi, then you are OUTSIDE the protection of God's Household.  Something of that nature, right?  

• Grease spot by midnight = road kill

Hyperbolic attributes to Vic, Harry, Ermal, Dotsie, Dorothy, Rhoda, George Jess, Mal George, etc.

Histrionics leveled at ALL those leaders and lieutenants who abandoned wierwille and twi.

Cult Indoctrination 101

• Like 1

IMO stop referring to the "founding president" of TWI.

At that time he was the only president.  Not sure if it would be accurate to call the first and only, the "founding" prez, as if the corporation had existed longtime.  Did he refer to himself as "founding prez"?  Or just as "prez"?  It would be accurate to call someone (anyone) the "founding" pres when there'd been at least one other pres.

Let's call him the "floundering prez" or the "fondling prez" or if you prefer (and this is accurate like a hand in a vagina glove) the "fukking prez."

Edited by Twinky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, skyrider said:

"So, looking back.....what do I see?.......the 1970 growth spurt in twi was all manufactured."

What else do I see? 

• Hyperbolic titles were attributed to vpw and his inner circle of enablers
  • Histrionics were part and parcel to demonizing all who left twi

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clearly, vpw was enamored with titles......it fed his narcissistic personality disorder.  As an ordained minister, Payne and Van Wert, Ohio victor was a reverend to his congregations.  In denominational circles, this designation was proper.....but when wierwille sought a doctorate in 1948 from a degree-mill outfit in Colorado (Pikes Peak Seminary in Manitou Springs, CO) his climb to this narcissistic summit was underway.  Did the Van Wert congregation need a "Dr. Wierwille" more than they needed a Rev. Wierwille to pastor their flock?  LOL

After stealing B.G. Leonard's class in 1953, wierwille began teaching this class in the Van Wert Church basement.  For nearly 14 years, wierwille traveled from city to city teaching this foundational class.  So, with the 1967 filming of pfal.....wierwille signed off by saying, "....just write The Teacher."  Add another 4-7 years (1971)....and wierwille is "The man of God."  And, at big events he was introduced as the Founding President of The Way International (which he was.... albeit, its "founding" had a stolen class in the secret closet).  Add another 9-11 years (1981).....and wierwille notched up to "Father in the Word."

• So, if you took pfal.....wierwille "fathered you in the Word?"  LOL

Same hyperbole was dealt to those who left twi.  Most especially, these slanders were reserved for way corps leaders.  Behind closed doors, the histrionics elevated rapidly on a scale of 1-10.  If the corps person was a major player....(region guy, trunk leader, bodyguard or department coordinator).... then the fireworks began!!  Wierwille's favorite detested slander was "cop-out."  When this confrontation in the heat of the moment was witnessed by others, wierwille was inject the "possessed" label.....and name the "spirit" (i.e. lying spirit, deceiving spirit).  Notably, ANYONE who was abandoning wierwille's ministry was being "deceived by a spirit."

No big-name corps leader was allowed to walk away from twi without slander.....without character assassination.

Martindale labeled Chris Geer with having 6 (SIX) daimon spirits....the big guys, the commanding spirits over others.  In those Galatian teachings, later renamed the Leadership Tapes.....lcm went thru the list of these daimon spirits, one-by-one.  

• Those who opposed "dr. wierwille" had spirits, or spiritual influence
  • Corps that abandoned twi were cop-outs, possessed
  • Major church denominational leaders were "Seed Men"
  • Geer, Lynn, Shroyer, others......deceiving spirits, etc.
  • Generic slanders on corps......he/she was "worldly"
  • If you don't heed instruction, God won't spit in your direction
  • Grease spots by midnight

Perhaps, someone could refresh my memory on "grease spots by midnight".......IIRC, it came into twi's lexicon around 1995 (when many decided to exit twi after martindale/reynolds claimed that *the word was over the world.*)  Seemingly, it contained fear hysteria......if you leave twi, then you are OUTSIDE the protection of God's Household.  Something of that nature, right?  

• Grease spot by midnight = road kill

Hyperbolic attributes to Vic, Harry, Ermal, Dotsie, Dorothy, Rhoda, George Jess, Mal George, etc.

Histrionics leveled at ALL those leaders and lieutenants who abandoned wierwille and twi.

Cult Indoctrination 101

:eusa_clap:

Great thread, Skyrider !!!!

I love the detail and chronology…each post is going into an offline file I have of TWI history…I keep changing the file name. First I called it the Annals of TWI History  …then it was the Anals of TWI History …then the Anals of Misery …Gatekeepers of the Backdoor Boogaloo…naw - what’s a gate doing on the backdoor anyway…maybe change gatekeepers to brown-nosers...maybe just go with the star of the show…sphincter paul wierwille… hmmmm needs a title in front of it…the reverend rectum sphincter paul wierwille…too long…how about doctor  dung-hole wierwille…maybe something warm and fuzzy …let’s try it out – I’ll take the part of the master of ceremonies at A Weekend in the Turd: “And now ladies and gentlemen here he is, our beloved father in the turd…

The excessive admiration many of us had for wierwille may have been due in part to our naivete and that timeless truth - love is blind. when we truly love…admire someone it makes us unable to see their faults.

Naivete is a big deal…just theorizing here…seems to me the older…more seasoned…wiser Christians of his  congregation/early following had enough sense to split as his delusional-plagiaristic-money-grubbing-malignant-narcissism ramped up – so he aims for the young and naïve – predators (human or animal) usually go for the easy targets.

But beyond whatever reasons we may have had to hold wierwille in such high regard – there is another more alarming explanation for wierwille being held in such high esteem – wierwille    required …more like  demanded   excessive admiration from followers. He was so hung up on his stupid degree-mill title – if anyone ever slipped and called him “mister” or by his first name “victor” or “vic” in public – they’d usually hear about it from one of the hounds-of-hype gatekeepers if not the-grandmaster-of-hype-coming-out-the-wazoo himself.

That is something common in harmful and controlling cult-leaders – they require excessive admiration.

I’ve shared the following info before - excerpts from a Joe Navarro article - a former FBI Counterintelligence Agent and the author of “What Every Body is Saying” (a great read by the way). He wrote an August 2012 Psychology Today article titled “Dangerous Cult Leaders: Clues to what makes for a pathological cult leader”. He said the two questions he gets asked most frequently by students of criminology and psychology are: How do you know when a cult leader is bad, evil or toxic ?  and   when is a cult leader pathological or a danger to others?    Navarro said those are valid questions in view of the historical record of suffering and hurt caused by various cult leaders around the world:

“From my studies of cults and cult leaders during my time in the FBI, I learned early on that there are some things to look for that, at a minimum, say "caution, this individual is dangerous, and in all likelihood will cause harm to others. Having studied at length the life, teachings, and behaviors of Jim Jones (Jonestown Guyana), David Koresh (Branch Davidians), Stewart Traill (The Church of Bible Understanding), Charles Manson, Shoko Asahara (Aum Shinrikyo), Joseph Di Mambro (The Order of the Solar Temple a.k.a. Ordre du Temple Solaire), Marshall Heff Applewhit (Heaven’s Gate), Bhagwan Rajneesh (Rajneesh Movement), and Warren Jeffs (polygamist leader), I can say that what stands out about these individuals is that they were or are all pathologically narcissistic.

They all have or had an over-abundant belief that they were special, that they and they alone had the answers to problems, and that they had to be revered. They demanded perfect loyalty from followers, they overvalued themselves and devalued those around them, they were intolerant of criticism, and above all they did not like being questioned or challenged. And yet, in spite of these less than charming traits, they had no trouble attracting those who were willing to overlook these features…”

These personality traits stand out as the first warning to those who would associate with them, but there are many others. Here is a collection of traits of cult leaders that give us hints as to their psychopathology. This list is not all-inclusive nor is it the final word on the subject; it is merely my personal collection based on studies and interviews that I conducted in my previous career.

You can read the entire article here >     Psychology Today: Dangerous Cult Leaders               and make sure you look over the whole list of personality traits…the first time I looked over the list I had an unsettling realization that most of them are a spot-on reflection of wierwille. 

All you big-wierwille-fans (you know who you are) take note! All this ugly deplorable stuff about wierwille and the gatekeepers is not just some imaginary or exaggerated details from the mouths of bitter-quitters and cop outs. It all correlates with the unbiased, objective, professional opinion of qualified people like Navarro who study harmful and controlling cults.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, skyrider said:

Yes, something of that nature... shame and fear based emotional abuse to control followers...

... but Martindale was using the expression well before 1995. I left in 1986 and it was already firmly entrenched in the twi lexicon by that time.

"I contend that wierwille's "career accomplishments" had 3 segments:

1. 16 years on church payroll.....in Payne and Van Wert, Ohio [1941-1957]
  2. 14 years struggling to build a following and pay the bills  [1958-1972]
  3. 10 years of exceeding growth, prosperity and adulation [1972-1982]

It wasn't until March 1972.....when wierwille swooped in and grabbed Doop's and Hefner's ministry work......that transformed twi into a youth movement.  Mrs. Wierwille's book documents the struggles and challenges.  Even people who sat in wierwille's live classes in 1961, 1962, 1963, etc......did NOT stick.  They sat thru his class, but then went back to their church.  Time and again, wierwille pleads in his mailing list to stay faithful to his ministry and TITHE WEEKLY.  Even when pfal was filmed in 1967, wierwille was struggling mightily to stay ahead of the bills for the studio, lighting, furniture.

Some regard "The Red Thread" as one of wierwille's best teachings......yet, it was plagiarized from Rev. Oral Roberts.  Was wierwille so spiritually bankrupt that even at the tail end of his ministry years he still had to plagiarize from others?  Yep.

Stolen teachings.  Stolen classes. Stolen glory."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twi-gatekeepers CLAIM that wierwille's ministry (i.e. The Way, Inc.) started in October 1942.........yeah, we've all heard the absurd Youth Chimes Caravan fabricated starting point.  At the time, wierwille was entrenched in the denominational church structure and had no inkling of a class-based ministry that would evolve from Leonard's class in 1953.  Narcissists can't give credit to others where credit is due.  BUT....30 years later, wierwille was STILL STRUGGLING to gain a following!!!  How can this be?  Why does there have to be subversion and coercion?  As these events were told to some of us years ago who'd never heard them, victor and Del Duncan (??) barge into Doop's and Hefner's meetings mid-stride in a coup-like takeover ousting these men from their positions.  Few people know these dirty tricks from vpw.....(and where is DWBH to set the facts straight :wink2: ). 

Wierwille had made an agreement with Doop and Hefner:

1. Send 15% abundant sharing to headquarters each month.
  2. You keep 85% of these contributions in your area/state for operation expenses.

Since this thread is about Twi-gatekeepers no longer able to contain the secrets......Jim Doop's last post is here for all to see.

• Originally posted by jimdoop:

Since it's my birthday, I would like to make a brief note. I turned 68 today- the same age as Victor when he passed away. I made my stand against him when he went back on his word and changed what he had taught me and many others. THAT was when the love and grace went out of his ministry. He set himself as the MAN OF GOD, and stopped acknowledging other men of God's contributions to his spiritual development.

I saw this coming in 1969. 1971 was when I heard his plan-how he was going to take over the states rights of all the fellowships, and he was going to control all of the states and their MONEY.

(That is, was, and always will be the root of ALL evil.) I was receiving more money into THE WAY WEST then he was at headquarters. The agreement was that I-"THE WAY WEST" would send H.Q. 15% each month, for abundant sharing each month. I did this every month. I kept my word.

I had spent 15 years in the "real world", and had learned enough to know that people lie, cheat, and steal. Victor was so sincere that I gave him a chance to prove himself. I believe that is what most of us did. As things worked out, he failed. His word wasn't any good. He taught one thing and did another.

All of are hearts have been broken-but not by God. His Word is always faithful. His Word is always truth. His promises work just as well today as they always have for getting the rent or house payment paid. Please all of you keep your brain and heart on God's Word. He loves us and will always bring us to victory. Filled with the power of the HOLY SPIRIT. we THE BELIEVERS, have been given enormous power in this age of DARKNESS. Be prepared. LOVE GOD AND YOUR FAMILY OF GOD.

Thanks for putting up with me, and I hope you heard my message. We cannot expect any help from anyone other then from GOD. If you know of anything better, please contact me, .. at jddpp@yahoo.com

Serving Him,

Jimmy Doop.

2005, September 8th.

Edited by skyrider
typos

More specifically...... it is my contention that, along with the corps indoctrination camps...er, campuses, the mass-herding at big events: 1) PFAL '77, 2) Advanced Class '79, 3) Living Victoriously (1982), and 4) Sound Out '84 were catalysts for the mass formation psychosis in twi.

Sure, there was some genuine outreach efforts and God-inspired actions/activity by many individuals, twigs, branches or even areas......but from centralized-hq, NOPE.  Looking back, I don't think the herd-fests (i.e. big events) moved the needle in God's direction one bit.

• Upvote 1

Can someone explain to me how VPW managed to get Doop and Heefner to fall under his thrall?  If these were such thriving ministries in their own right, why did they affiliate with him?  Why both of them (since as I understand it, they were separate ministries anyway).  What, did VPW lure one or both into "taking the class" and then demanding fealty forever after - not just of them, but of all their own following?  Why didn't these other men stay affiliated in some way without getting badly enmeshed with TWI?

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2022 at 12:58 PM, Twinky said:

Can someone explain to me how VPW managed to get Doop and Heefner to fall under his thrall?  If these were such thriving ministries in their own right, why did they affiliate with him?  Why both of them (since as I understand it, they were separate ministries anyway).  What, did VPW lure one or both into "taking the class" and then demanding fealty forever after - not just of them, but of all their own following?  Why didn't these other men stay affiliated in some way without getting badly enmeshed with TWI?

Ah, I did a timeline of vpw's life.  It developed in the thread, "the way-living in wonderland", and at the end, I gave it its own thread to make it easier to find.

Here was the answer to your question:

"According to TW:LIL, In 1967, vpw read about the Christians at the House of Acts. vpw went there, impressed them, and convinced them he has extensive, EXCLUSIVE knowledge they lack. He then turned those he could from unorganized Christians into a recruitment arm for his class and organization. They agreed to handle things on the East and West coasts, and many young Christians were impressed with THEM and join. It's been suggested that one of the reasons he went there was because he'd heard of the "free-love" movement and wanted to connect with Christians who would have sex outside of marriage. This claim might sound ridiculous if his accounts of them didn't include little comments about their displays of affection-and especially since he'd asked one of them-back then and there-to give him DETAILS on what an orgy was like. He followed up by claiming that God PERMITTED orgies-but considered monogamy BETTER.

It's also believed that San Francisco is where vpw bought the pornographic materials he showed the corps, some Advanced Classes and CFS classes-like the movie of the two women with the dog. (He MENTIONED that video to many Advanced classes and CFS classes where it was not SHOWN.)

According to the memorial, his trip to Haight-Ashbury/House of Acts was in 1968. As of 1969, sizeable numbers of young people had flocked to twi from both coasts as a result.

Once there was sizeable membership in both coasts, vpw pushed out the Christians from the House of Acts and insisted authority would come FROM hq and tithes would go TO hq. No exceptions. At that point (1969), vpw made his first attempt at a Way Corps, which resulted in the famous "Zero Corps".

At some point-presumably early in the way corps history, and possibly as early as 1969, vpw (according to Mrs W's account) first begins to tell his "snow on the pumps" account to people, starting with the way corps."