GreaseSpot Cafe

"Do All Ex-Cult Members Think The Same?" | Spectrum

Twinky

This popped up in my NewsFeed today, why I don't know, but I have seen this series of vids before.  I thought this one was kind of interesting and I wondered how some of us here would answer the questions posed.  Maybe you've seen it: TV series called Spectrum.

Watch | Facebook

• Like 1

That's it.   Sorry if my copy and paste link didn't work.  Yours is a better link, gives an intro to the participants and their cultie background (apart from the dork in the first few seconds).  Some of them were in for a long time (like some of us), which wasn't clear from the bit that I'd seen and posted, which starts about 2m in.  You can see that they also had a variety of experiences.

Edited by Twinky

Thanks Twinky & Bolshevik – great video!

I emailed that link to myself cuz I want to watch it a few more times…I like when someone walks me through their thinking process and I get to see the variety in experiences, observations, factors in evaluating one’s involvement...and there’s something else – hearing them IDENTIFY issues. 

Made me think of the therapeutic value of Grease Spot Café – I think the potential for healing and freedom is in reengaging our cognitive skills when reflecting on the past and the pain, the good and the bad – as we recognize or ascertain what makes someone or something different…understanding the crux of the matter…what is the stuff that makes something/someone either good or bad or a combination of the two.
That’s a toughie when you’re coming out of a pseudo-Christian harmful and controlling cult – to heal and move on we must learn to differentiate.

Differentiate some things: Can you identify a harmful and controlling cult’s toxic infusions and insidious twists to the theory and practice of the Christian faith? 

When I took PFAL back in 1974 –  at the time, I thought it was the greatest thing in the world – cuz it got into how the Bible was written and how to interpret it. I still appreciate the class cuz it demystified the Bible for me – being raised Roman Catholic, I looked at a lot of the Bible as incomprehensible, ancient and weird. For as much as you hear me criticize wierwille and PFAL on Grease Spot that probably seems odd – but wierwille pointed me in a particular direction of developing a faith I grew up in...He got me started on the road to deep Bible study, checking out systematic theology and hermeneutics and even sparking an interest in philosophy of religion… BUT … when I left in ’86 – over disillusionments and disappointments that had been brewing for a long time – I had one of those “differentiating moments” where I thought to myself “I can do better myself at personal Bible study and living the Christian lifestyle than what TWI tried show me.”

Discern the wolves from deceived sheep: In a pseudo-Christian harmful and controlling cult like The Way International – there is a complicated blend of good people, bad people, and good people gone bad…some good people don’t realize they’re helping the bad people…in a cult you have the predator, the victim, and the facilitator. I was a facilitator – I made it easier for TWI to exploit others not only by my financial support but also by trying to be a good sales-rep for the PFAL class…I honestly thought it would help people…I suppose you could have predator/facilitator folks – who either turned bad or found an organization where their own moral depravity fit right in. Not talking about judging intentions here – I’m talking about judging what people DO. Actions speak louder than words. 

Another thing about that YouTube video    Do All Ex-Cult Members Think the same  – I like the fluidity some folks exemplified – being flexible to move around on the spectrum…I think that’s realistic - because as time goes by - we change – we grow – we heal – we gain a new perspective…In my book, it’s okay if you’re a PFAL-fan, if it’s kept in perspective. Not that my opinion matters – but – I think if you make something like PFAL the gold standard – you’ve just set some limits on your critical and creative skills. Instead of being challenged to do better thinking…clearer thinking – you never outgrow the debilitating “standards” set by an incompetent and deceitful teacher.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Twinky said:

This popped up in my NewsFeed today, why I don't know, but I have seen this series of vids before.  I thought this one was kind of interesting and I wondered how some of us here would answer the questions posed.  Maybe you've seen it: TV series called Spectrum.

Watch | Facebook

The link works for me. I'll watch the video later because I'm listening to a live stream WaPo presentation on pandemic preparation.

52 minutes ago, Rocky said:

A wonderful human and righteous expression about cults. Thanks both to Twinky and Bolshevik for posting this excellent, though provoking video.

Thanks Twinky.  I was curious to see the video Twinky posted and just posted to confirm it was the same video.  It is very interesting.

One thing that is interesting is how the group at the end starts discussing seeing cults everywhere.  In board meetings of "the elite", which they are probably not sitting on.  One guy makes a pyramid shape with his hands, as if any hierarchical structure immediately means cult.  Lends to conspiracy theory thinking, imo.

Although I think one gentleman said he uses the term "cult-like" and not "cult".

• 1 month later...

Just saw a movie which I accessed through Youtube called "Holy Hell."  I think you have to pay for it, but it also is about a cult and people in it and people that left it.  Just one of many many stories of cult members and how they left.  Now that I'm out of TWI, I can see so many similarities among ex-TWI and other ex-cult members.  Leah Remani's series on Scientology is also excellent.  And documentaries about Heaven's Gate.  on and on.  We are not alone.

Edited by outandabout
  • Upvote 1