GreaseSpot Cafe

Charge!

Twinky

Hey guys, any smartphone techies here?  Got a Huawei P10 Lite and it's refusing to charge.  I have tried with different charging leads, and I've tried from a plug and from my laptop.  It's been getting harder to charge for a few days and now, not at all. 

I might add that it's taken a couple of very quick swims (no more than a second at a time) but seems to have dried out well after each dunk, and the second swim was some weeks ago.

Any suggestions to rescue this, or is it that I need to get a new phone?  If so, recommendations please.  It doesn't need to be anything fancy and I'm certainly not looking at the latest and greatest.  A decent reconditioned phone a few years old would be suitable.

Hi Twinky,
How old is your Huawei P10 Lite? 

The details of your complaint leads me to think it’s your battery - they only last a few years - maybe 3 to 5.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus – which I got the year they came out (2016)…At the time of purchase I also bought a third-party battery case – so I had a really long time of battery power…after a few years I noticed once the battery case went low – my iPhone did not last long on its own internal battery – it’d get down to 60% and then just die. 

So I did some consumer research and decided to have my iPhone internal battery replaced and NOT use an external third-party battery case.
I went to Best Buy in latter part of 2019 – and for around $55 they replaced the internal battery. Works like a champ…You’ve probably got similar services where you live – shop around – and make sure the services are reputable, authorized to work on your brand of phone…I’d do that before thinking about upgrading your phone – unless a newer model or different brand sounds tempting. I’m just presenting a viable and cheaper option if you’re happy with your current phone.

I see you have an android-type phone but these other tips for extending your battery charge may help too: If you’re not using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (like if you’re “on holiday” at the beach  :biglaugh:  ) – then go into your settings and turn them off – otherwise they’re always using battery power to look for a connection. Another one which you already probably know is to close any apps you’re not using. 

I had a phone that had to be charged all the time.  Another where the battery began to swell.   I went into a "cell phone store" and tried to get answers about replacing a battery a year or two ago . . . eventually leading up to me letting them know I didn't appreciate their non-answers and conspiracy theory ideas.  Eventually I found some better answers as to why.  Solution?  Get off the grid . . . live in a mud hut.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, Bolshevik said:

I had a phone that had to be charged all the time.  Another where the battery began to swell.   I went into a "cell phone store" and tried to get answers about replacing a battery a year or two ago . . . eventually leading up to me letting them know I didn't appreciate their non-answers and conspiracy theory ideas.  Eventually I found some better answers as to why.  Solution?  Get off the grid . . . live in a mud hut.

Thanks Bolshevik - that is a very informative and helpful video! 

You know your smartphone is smarter than you when you have to Google the internet to find out how to use most of its features.

That's me most of the time :biglaugh:

I got the charging port replaced (cost me £30).  Since then, it does charge, but really slowly.  And also since then, the volume is poor - I've had two people today say that they can hardly hear me.  I will have to go back to where I had the replacement fitted and see what else they can do, since neither charging is adequate and there seems to be something else malfunctioning that wasn't before they "fixed" it.

It's my birthday at the end of this month and I have been offered some money towards a new phone.  Might well take that up, but want to choose something that suits me.  Most phones are a bit big in the hand (and the pocket - falls out).  Possibly I'll get a reconditioned older-model phone, as some of these seem to be a bit smaller.  My P10 measures 150cm tall, and one that I had my eye on is 168cm, and a bit wider too; it's quite a lot bigger.  I don't need to spend a fortune on whatever I get.