GreaseSpot Cafe

Spinning off from thread about Wierwille's load of demons, TOPIC now is synchronicity

Wordwolf said, on Feb 27, on James French's thread:

I've experienced revelation.  My experiences often predated hearing what vpw had to say on the subject... It sounded to me like you were dismissing all modern revelation categorically.

I said, in pertinent part, in reply:

I used an "I" statement. I believe. I don't believe. That is in stark contrast to declaring it's not available at all... It would be tedious for me and for readers for me to spell out what I believe about what IS available.

Here's a more substantive reply, including an extended quote from the last two pages of a book by Jean Shinoda Bolen, MD.

Wordwolf, I do NOT doubt your claim of having received revelation. Period. I've had thoughts and experiences I believed at the time were God's intervention and/or revelation. My view now is more expansive. More broad. 

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. I Corinthians 13:12 (NIV)

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:45 (NIV)

The following text is from The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and the Self by Jean Shinoda Bolen MD (1979) pgs 102-103

In considering how all of the many parables, metaphors, spiritual teachings, and psychological insights noted in this book might fit together, I have the following impressionistic, subjective conception. It seems to me that the Christian vision of the Kingdom of God, the Eastern vision of the Tao, Jung's idea of the Self and synchronicity, the right [brain] hemisphere's intuitive way of perceiving totality and containing opposites, the parapsychological evidence for consciousness separate from brain or body, and the new reality as seen by quantum physics are all part of the same ineffable, invisible, meaning-giving “something.” Each is a glimpse from a different vantage point—each gives us a different impression that is true but not complete. Like the six blind men who groped for the reality of the elephant, we can grasp only part at a time. In this tale from India, the first blind man fell against the elephant's side and said the elephant was like a wall. The second felt the tip of the tusk and was convinced an elephant was like a spear. The third, on feeling the squirming trunk, proclaimed an elephant was like a snake. The fourth put his arms around a leg and said an elephant was like a tree. The fifth, who felt the ear, declared an elephant was very much like a fan; while the sixth, on seizing the tail, said of course an elephant was like a rope. All then fell to arguing about who had the truth. While each of them had part of the picture, all of them missed the whole.

Or perhaps we are like Plato's chained men in the cave, unable to see out, seeing only the fleeting shadows cast against the wall, making up theories and certainties about what is outside the cave. We can never fully grasp what is boundless, infinite, and eternal. Yet that small insight glimpsed or intuition felt—of the reality of the Tao, or of God, or the Self, in whatever form—is psychologically central to human experience. It nourishes our spirit, heals our sense of isolated separateness, and restores our soul. […]

The deeper significance of synchronicity lies in its demonstration of certain aspects of the collective unconscious, which behaves as if it were one and were not split up into many individuals, animals, and the environment. In the synchronistic moment, the separate “I” no longer feels “How lonely it is”; instead, the person directly experiences a sense of oneness. This is what is so deeply moving in experiences of synchronicity and is why these events are often felt as numinous, religious, or spiritual experiences. When we feel synchronicity, we feel ourselves as part of a cosmic matrix, as participants in the Tao. It gives us a glimpse into the reality that there is indeed a link between us all, between us and all living things, between us and the universe.

So, to rephrase for the people in the cheap seats...

You don't doubt that I've had legitimate experiences that I interpret as "revelation"- but you hold that they aren't actually Divine Revelation, but rather an experience of synchronicity and/or interaction with the collective unconscious.

I'm familiar with both concepts.   I disagree on your conclusions.  I say that- if both concepts are correct- that they aren't mutually-exclusive with Divine Revelation.  I'm aware they can be interpreted to be so, including by supposed experts.   I consider that a gross oversimplification in an attempt to stuff everything into a simplistic header.  I think it's one polar opposite from the claims of vpw who slapped labels of "supernatural" on everything, including sleight-of-hand tricks that he didn't understand.  I think it's the answer of the over-eager who is dedicated to dismissing any concept they don't like, and who is also willing to creatively reinterpret events to match their paradigm rather than adjust their paradigm to fit the events.   (Again, a polar opposite of some people's experiences in twi, and possibly someplace one can end up after fleeing ONE extreme- only to wildly embrace the other in a surge of emotion and comfort.)  It's convenient, if verbose and sesquipedalian when explained.

Obviously, nobody has to agree with me.   Just as the writer, I have my own "subjective conception."  I find that my current one fits ALL my experiences- both what I HAVE experienced and what I have NOT experienced-  better than agreeing with their POV.    Anyone's free to agree with either of us- or disagree with both of us.

Now that I've had my say on this thread, I'm bowing out.  I have no interest in discussing matters in this sub-forum, and only came here to directly answer someone calling me out.    Everyone's free to read into my refusal to go further as they see fit, although I'd rather they did not do so.  (Then again, knowing the GSC, it's probably overly optimistic to expect that.)   

Ciao.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I'm familiar with both concepts.   I disagree on your conclusions.

No problem. I didn't expect anyone to give this deep consideration... at least not immediately, if ever.

However, rather than redefining your experience as something other than divine revelation, I believe divine revelation is a legitimate way to interpret the phenomenon, but so is collective unconscious.

For me, the difference between the perspectives is that rather than anything outside of divine revelation being considered "of the devil" or some variation on that theme, I don't.

Of course, I still believe there is evil in the world, but I no longer choose to believe in it the way The Way does.

Nevertheless, we STILL see as though through a darkly tinted window. So, I'm not suggesting there's any need for anyone to accept what I presented "or else..." Whatever the "or else" might be to anyone.

I have no interest in discussing matters in this sub-forum, and only came here to directly answer someone calling me out.

I didn't call you out. I simply responded to something I recalled you having posed to me previously that I wasn't prepared to adequately reply to at the time. 

Btw, the one thing I might take issue with is your apparently ironic use of the word sesquipedalian. :wink2: :beer:

sesquipedalian

According to Vaknin, as I understand, we come into this world not separate from the rest of the universe.  We are enmeshed in the beginning.  Over time we develop a self concept and decide we are separate individuals from the rest, specifically separate from mom.  A disruption in this development results in problems such as narcissism.

Alan Watts often says we are the universe.  The idea that it something outside of us is just an illusion.

Our separateness from everyone and everything else up for debate.  Consciousness itself is poorly understood.

Jung's collective unconscious is a  fascinating idea.  Our individual unconscious (not subconscious) is unnerving as it is.

In that I feel a framework for God/gods could entertained.  

Is revelation here being defined as the ability to tell good from evil?

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

I don't believe that's how it's been exclusively presented. My take on it is that the OP (original poster) was saying he was granted access to privileged information that would have otherwise been inaccessible. A subset of that involved questioning whether said information (or access to it) represented reality.

Edited by waysider

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Not by me.

1 hour ago, waysider said:

My take on it is that the OP (original poster) was saying he was granted access to privileged information that would have otherwise been inaccessible.

Huh? Do you mean the original poster on this topic/thread?

1 hour ago, waysider said:

I don't believe that's how it's been presented. My take on it is that the OP (original poster) was saying he was granted access to privileged information that would have otherwise been inaccessible. A subset of that involved questioning whether said information represented reality.

I'm assuming the reference is to the OP of the original thread. . . . So privileged information like how to interpret the Bible like it hasn't been known since the first century?

Just pretentious rhetoric.  You know, like a grandious narcissist would do :biglaugh:

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

This thread is a spin-off of Mr French's thread.  

"Just pretentious rhetoric.  You know, like a grandious narcissist would do :biglaugh: "

Indeed. I appreciate the clarification. I had to ask.

So, I suppose it's altogether okay if GSC people are not innately curious about spirituality, what's "out there" that's bigger than any of us have been able to even imagine before. But I am innately curious even about things that are outside orthodox religion or Christianity. When I read Dr Bolen's book, it enabled me to rethink some of my experiences. Like the time, when I hitchhiked from Los Angeles to Gunnison the summer before going into residence with the 9th corpse. Among the things I endured/experienced during that particular excursion were what I believed then were God intervening to get me rides. 

I've expanded my imagination to redefine those events. One reason? Because what I DID then that made the difference was to act of "letting go." Since then, I've read of other people, not claiming such intervention was from God. IOW, God makes (or allows) the rain to fall on the "just and the unjust." Put another way, meaningful events in my life were synchronistic. 

This YouTube video has what I view as legitimate insight. At one point in it, the speaker mentions politics. But that's only context. It's not a debate about what are good or bad political positions. The vid is under 7 minutes. I hope you enjoy, or at least mindfully listen to the extent you can apply critical analysis to it. If you do so and believe you have a legitimate perspective to debunk this fellow's ideas, by all means, share with us.

• Like 1

With the false god of this world with the demons now having some authority in this age of imperfection. The main thing that they try to do is whisper or speak to people and get them to be deceived. The devil even was allowed to speak to Jesus Christ in his earthly life as read in Mathew 4:1-11. Perhaps this was to test Jesus Christ. In Matthew 4:10-11. Jesus finalized this testing with these words.

Matthew 4:10-11

10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"  11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.   (NIV)

Also the serpent who was Satan spoke to Eve with the origin of humanity as worded in Genesis 3:1-19 and was able to deceive her as she admitted in Genesis 3:13. Simply all of humanity in this age of imperfection gets true thoughts and also false thoughts. We simply need to follow and apply the truthful thoughts in our daily lives. 

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

So, I suppose it's altogether okay if GSC people are not innately curious about spirituality, what's "out there" that's bigger than any of us have been able to even imagine before. But I am innately curious even about things that are outside orthodox religion or Christianity. When I read Dr Bolen's book, it enabled me to rethink some of my experiences. Like the time, when I hitchhiked from Los Angeles to Gunnison the summer before going into residence with the 9th corpse. Among the things I endured/experienced during that particular excursion were what I believed then were God intervening to get me rides. 

I've expanded my imagination to redefine those events. One reason? Because what I DID then that made the difference was to act of "letting go." Since then, I've read of other people, not claiming such intervention was from God. IOW, God makes (or allows) the rain to fall on the "just and the unjust." Put another way, meaningful events in my life were synchronistic. 

This YouTube video has what I view as legitimate insight. At one point in it, the speaker mentions politics. But that's only context. It's not a debate about what are good or bad political positions. The vid is under 7 minutes. I hope you enjoy, or at least mindfully listen to the extent you can apply critical analysis to it. If you do so and believe you have a legitimate perspective to debunk this fellow's ideas, by all means, share with us.

Fascinating video – thanks, Rocky!

Towards the latter part –  Beau talks about the difference in perspectives and experiences – one person sees a connection between two ideas and yet to another person the two ideas look very far apart…that touches on the stimulating factor of Grease Spot Café…I wish I could embrace that more often…maybe it takes more patience, sympathy, empathy, consideration,  kindness, etc. … there’s those mysterious push-and-pull forces that I am usually oblivious to at Grease Spot – ideas and feelings that encourage a person to leave their comfort-zone – and then there’s factors that draw a person to “someplace” way outside their comfort zone…some cool stuff to think about in the surviving-a-cult-experience-and-moving-on-in-life aspect of discussions at Grease Spot Cafe. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mark Sanguinetti said:

The main thing that they try to do is whisper or speak to people and get them to be deceived.

Hey Mark,

How do you know? Is that just an assumption? If so, what does it get you to do or not do?

22 hours ago, Rocky said:

Hey Mark,

How do you know? Is that just an assumption? If so, what does it get you to do or not do?

As read in Matthew 4 and Luke 4, Jesus was being tested by the devil and the devil was even allowed to speak to Jesus. Of course Jesus rejected the devil and never followed him. This is to verify and prove the perfection of Jesus Christ. Even when the devil spoke to Him and offered Him much, Jesus rejected the devil. In Genesis chapter 3, Eve the woman accepted words of deception as spoken by the Serpent, who we now call Satan or the devil. Adam the man was also deceived as this deception was passed from Eve onto Adam also. This perhaps figuratively shows a lack of perfection for humanity. The only perfection in humanity was and is Jesus Christ.  Simply in this age of imperfection, the devil with the demons are allowed spiritually to sometimes communicate with humanity with sometimes deception and even wars that often results in death. In the future as worded at the first part of Revelation chapter 20, the devil with the demons will be put in prison for a thousand year period, then no deception for humanity will be allowed and then there will be no wars. After this period of time the devil will again be released from prison and some of humanity again will be deceived to try to make and want more wars. This looks like it will be stopped though, with the near future judgement of humanity as read at the last part of Revelation chapter 20. In the last two chapters of my biblical teaching book, I cover the last scriptures of the book of Revelation that has judgement of humanity. 

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

On 3/21/2022 at 12:12 AM, Mark Sanguinetti said:

Simply all of humanity in this age of imperfection gets true thoughts and also false thoughts.

5 hours ago, Mark Sanguinetti said:

As read in Matthew 4 and Luke 4, Jesus was being tested by the devil and the devil was even allowed to speak to Jesus. Of course Jesus rejected the devil and never followed him. This is to verify and prove the perfection of Jesus Christ. Even when the devil spoke to Him and offered Him much, Jesus rejected the devil. In Genesis chapter 3, Eve the woman accepted words of deception as spoken by the Serpent, who we now call Satan or the devil. Adam the man was also deceived as this deception was passed from Eve onto Adam also. This perhaps figuratively shows a lack of perfection for humanity. The only perfection in humanity was and is Jesus Christ.  Simply in this age of imperfection, the devil with the demons are allowed spiritually to sometimes communicate with humanity with sometimes deception and even wars that often results in death. In the future as worded at the first part of Revelation chapter 20, the devil with the demons will be put in prison for a thousand year period, then no deception for humanity will be allowed and then there will be no wars. After this period of time the devil will again be released from prison and some of humanity again will be deceived to try to make and want more wars. This looks like it will be stopped though, with the near future judgement of humanity as read at the last part of Revelation chapter 20.

How does your response, copied herein, explain how you know which thoughts are true and which are false? Really, I don't want to come off as condescending, but what it looks like to me is that you've set forth, in a bit of detail, your assumption(s) which may prevent you from opening your imagination to consider anything outside a fundamental biblical perspective. Is that a fair read/interpretation of your response?

On 3/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, Rocky said:

Hey Mark,

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

How does your response, copied herein, explain how you know which thoughts are true and which are false? Really, I don't want to come off as condescending, but what it looks like to me is that you've set forth, in a bit of detail, your assumption(s) which may prevent you from opening your imagination to consider anything outside a fundamental biblical perspective. Is that a fair read/interpretation of your response?

I have no ability to read people's mind. Only God can do that. My goal is to be 100% spiritually truthful. I hope I am at least up to 98%. My book is only biblical instead of spreading RELIGIOUS MYTHOLOGY. One of the chapters is "The Mythology of Hell That Contradicts Scriptures". In the future we will have judgement to get every knee to bow down to Jesus Christ.