GreaseSpot Cafe

Biblical Research

OldSkool

8 hours ago, OldSkool said:

First off, the entire concept of biblical research is a sales schtik IMO.

Nailed it... I wish your statement had the same dramatic effect that Martin Luther had when he nailed his 95 Theses to the door of a church. 

3 hours ago, Twinky said:

One of the things that attracted me about TWI was its Biblical research aspect.  I wanted to know about things like the Dead Sea Scrolls, and how they impacted the knowledge that we have now of the Bible and culture around the time the scrolls were written, or perhaps preserved.  I'd never heard anything in any church, didn't know much about the scrolls, and hey! here's this great research ministry!

When I asked the question, I was (no surprise) fobbed off time and time again.  Eventually (par for the course), I stopped asking, forgot I'd been interested because swamped with too many other twiggy demands, etc etc.  No surprise, as they wouldn't know or understand any research if it hit them with a Dead Sea urn.  Or a wooden cross.

Yes!! That's part of the bait and switch they pull. We all know how it goes --- You want to take this class that will tell you how to enjoy reading the Bible?....Good then give me $100 bucks and wait until we register enough people to run a class. Meanwhile --- Joe believer has many questions and the canned answer...drumroll....wait for the class!! By the time you get the class your braincells are swimming in information overload while the most perinant questions usually go unanswered and all the while we were pushed into working for TWI. Anywho....I digress

15 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Nailed it... I wish your statement had the same dramatic effect that Martin Luther had when he nailed his 95 Theses to the door of a church. 

Yessir. Ive tried waking people in TWI up since I left in 2008. It would literally take Martin Luther nailing a new 95 thesis to the auditorium door for most of those that remain.

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Yessir. Ive tried waking people in TWI up since I left in 2008. It would literally take Martin Luther nailing a new 95 thesis to the auditorium door for most of those that remain.

To quote a memorable link in a late 1970s TWI promotional movie/video: It vas fee-ah!

Edited by Rocky

One great benefit to GSC is threads like this where we can replace genuine quality Biblical researchers and their work product into the old slots in our brains held for other faux researchers we have experienced in the Way.

Thank you all for the collaborative efforts.  

I'm thinking this activity has more value than chasing ones tail with circular way logic or fixating on red dots :biglaugh:

3 hours ago, chockfull said:

One great benefit to GSC is threads like this where we can replace genuine quality Biblical researchers and their work product into the old slots in our brains held for other faux researchers we have experienced in the Way.

Thank you all for the collaborative efforts.  

I'm thinking this activity has more value than chasing ones tail with circular way logic or fixating on red dots :biglaugh:

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. TWI had us chasing red dots with their proven ministry research line. To them any subject they considered "proven" was above question. That's pure BS to me, if something is truly proven then it should stand to question and scrutiny no matter when and where they occur.

• Upvote 1

Red Dots:

Chip S., one of the smartest guys around, was a Research Dept. fellow, and he was 6th. We are from the same city, our parents knew each other, and I hung out with him a little in Morgantown, WV at WVU before his and my corpse days. A building at WVU is named after his grandfather. Big educators that family.

Chip was in the Research Dept. at HQ and more than qualified for it. He left about 1980? for Calif. to get his PhD in Humanities. Having worked a little in the first days of JCOP with him at week seminar at Gunnison (1978) I called him in 1995 with a question on it that J. Schoe*nh**t  had asked me on it. I had been out since 1986 but, unfortunately, was getting engaged in a splinter group (DOH!). By this time he had been long gone from the way, got his PhD , was married with a small family, and was teaching at a small college in VA. 

We got caught up, and when I posed the question on the six denials of Peter there was a long silence on the phone, several seconds, and then he pointedly asked, " Are you still thinking about that " schnit?!" (censored earlier)

These days I, too, knowing what I know, do sometimes ask myself that same question. There's just no way to unravel a lot of this, and a lot of it simply does not matter. 

That laser dot example is a pretty good one. 

Peace.

Edited by engine
clarifications

On 3/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, engine said:

Red Dots:

Chip S., one of the smartest guys around, was a Research Dept. fellow, and he was 6th. We are from the same city, our parents knew each other, and I hung out with him a little in Morgantown, WV at WVU before his and my corpse days. A building at WVU is named after his grandfather. Big educators that family.

Chip was in the Research Dept. at HQ and more than qualified for it. He left about 1980? for Calif. to get his PhD in Humanities. Having worked a little in the first days of JCOP with him at week seminar at Gunnison (1978) I called him in 1995 with a question on it that J. Schoe*nh**t  had asked me on it. I had been out since 1986 but, unfortunately, was getting engaged in a splinter group (DOH!). By this time he had been long gone from the way, got his PhD , was married with a small family, and was teaching at a small college in VA. 

We got caught up, and when I posed the question on the six denials of Peter there was a long silence on the phone, several seconds, and then he pointedly asked, " Are you still thinking about that " schnit?!" (censored earlier)

These days I, too, knowing what I know, do sometimes ask myself that same question. There's just no way to unravel a lot of this, and a lot of it simply does not matter. 

That laser dot example is a pretty good one. 

Peace.

My sixth-grader recently wrapped up a unit on early Christianity in his World History class. He asked what I thought about some historical data points like Jesus' birth date and the tradition of the Christmas holiday. I sighed deeply while avoiding dogmatism and complicated journeys into historical-critical rabbit holes. Finally, he answered his own question: What does it really matter?!? 

Yes, I said. Yes. (It only matters to those obfuscating with sleight of hand and intellectual dishonesty. But it might also matter honest, authentic scholars.)

All children inherently have a heightened spiritual awareness and perception. That is until they are taught, indoctrinated, programmed. My child has always been forced to attend a wierwille-worshipping fellowship by his mother. I'm grateful his spiritual sense isn't yet completely blunted.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

My child has always been forced to attend a wierwille-worshipping fellowship by his mother. I'm grateful his spiritual sense isn't yet completely blunted.

Sorry to hear that, Nathan.  Sounds as though your lad has some sense.  Hopefully, you can help him keep hold of it.  Develop his critical thinking skills.  Sounds as if he has a questioning mind that will enjoy exploration of other viewpoints.

• Upvote 1

I’m thinking that rather than Biblical research it was Biblical brosearch.  Instead of cracking the text or visiting a dig site it is ask your bro.

Biblical brosearch.  Literal translation according to usage.

whose usage?  The head bro of course.  and especially ask the bros not the ladies about those adultery verses.