GreaseSpot Cafe

Are you buying silver and gold with your extra cash?

oldiesman

1 hour ago, oldiesman said:

I just see another gadget that needs cleaning and maintaining that ends up in the basement.  Any system will need new filters occasionally.  

I was gifted a gravity system once.  While neat to look at it's like keeping a fish tank, IMO.  There's no advantage.  It's not like you can pour pond water into it and get worry free water.

Inline systems located where the water comes into the dwelling are most convenient.  Many fridges have filters for drinking water and ice.  If you're camping, why would you lug this system along?

31 minutes ago, waysider said:

Does it remove tds? (total dissolved solids)

Is there data that shows specific values?

Good question... another question is, does it remove essential minerals that one would likely get with fresh water.    I would ask the companies who sell the product.

4 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

Good question... another question is, does it remove essential minerals that one would likely get with fresh water.    I would ask the companies who sell the product.

Vitamin And Mineral Composition In Apple. Information About Nutrients.  Useful Properties Of Apple. Main Vitamins And Minerals In Healthy Diet.  Concept Of Diet And Healthy Food Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free

2 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I just see another gadget that needs cleaning and maintaining that ends up in the basement.  Any system will need new filters occasionally.  

I was gifted a gravity system once.  While neat to look at it's like keeping a fish tank, IMO.  There's no advantage.  It's not like you can pour pond water into it and get worry free water.

Inline systems located where the water comes into the dwelling are most convenient.  Many fridges have filters for drinking water and ice.  If you're camping, why would you lug this system along?

Be interested to see if pond or river water would work well with filters like this one.   Filters can be hooked up to inline systems too... 

58 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

Be interested to see if pond or river water would work well with filters like this one.   Filters can be hooked up to inline systems too... 

Hint: It wouldn't.

Water needs to be rendered microbiologically safe before being passed through purification devices.

7 minutes ago, waysider said:

Hint: It wouldn't.

Water needs to be rendered microbiologically safe before being passed through purification devices.

Usually that's the municipality's job, if that's the context, it should be safe at the tap.  Simple filters help with taste, if that's your preference.  This is not an IV bag.

Gadgets like these seem to sell you what you've already paid for.  

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP (original poster) is somewhere in an area that receives its drinking water for the NYC water system. NYC is well known for having some of the highest quality drinking water in the country. If, on the other hand, the preference is just to have better smelling, tasting water, a simple carbon filter, such as you would find in a refrigerator ice maker,  might provide the solution. Bear in mind, carbon has saturation limits that, if exceeded,  don't only lose effectiveness, but can have negative repercussions. This is why it's critical to change filters within the recommended life expectancy.

Edited by waysider
spelling

I think you're correct about the OP.  NYC area's drinking water is high in quality, primarily from its sources being upstate aquifers.  (NYC is densely populated, NY State is not, much of the state's population and 80% of its total taxes come from NYC.)

Some places need help to have potable drinking water from their taps, and that's true in the US and elsewhere.  (I dare you to try to drink Pittsburgh's tap water sometime.)  Some can be helped with filtration systems, some can't- if their water is beyond the help of water filters in the home.  Cleaning 95% of pollutants in some places still leaves you with enough to poison someone with unfit water.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

I'd like to know if the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie is potable because I can walk to it from where I live, will ask.

The short answer is "no". For water to be considered potable, it must be fit for human consumption, safe for drinking. Hudson River water has salt, turbidity, PCBs, radioactivity, micro pathogens, and on and on and on. It's not something you could render potable using home-type filtration systems.

Edited by waysider
formatting

8 minutes ago, waysider said:

These types of products typically come with listed disclaimers, the most prominent usually being "Not for microbiologically unsafe water".

That may be.  The link certainly implies it the product will take care of the bacteria.  

There's no method to monitor performance (as I think you were mentioning -  I happen to have access to labs - and I know there's no end to the questions one could ask)

From the link:

The DOULTON-W9361123 reduces the following contaminants:

• Bacteria
  • Chlorine Taste & Odor
  • Cholera
  • Cryptosporidium
  • Cysts
  • E. Coli
  • Giardia
  • Klebsiella Terrigena
  • Lead at pH 6.5
  • Particulates
  • Salmonella
  • Sediment
  • Shigella
  • Turbidity
  • Typhoid

This is pretty standard fare that's been around for quite some time.

I especially don't like the boiling recommendations, though. While it's true that boiling can alleviate some microbiological concerns, it can also exacerbate the dangers of concentrating other harmful contaminants, such as arsenic, lead, PFAS, mercury, etc. Some people are quick to simply boil their water rather than investigating the dangers they may be inviting.

Edited by waysider
spelling

6 minutes ago, waysider said:

This is pretty standard fare that's been around for quite some time.

I especially don't like the boiling recommendations, though. While it's true that boiling can alleviate some microbiological concerns, it can also exacerbate the dangers of concentrating other harmful contaminants, such as arsenic, lead, PFAS, mercury, etc. Some people are quick to simply boil their water rather than investigating the dangers they may be inviting.

Like reducing a good stock?  mmmmm

There's a bazillion links.   I counted each of them.  EXACTLY  1 bazillion.

https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/lead-and-copper-rule

https://ordspub.epa.gov/ords/sfdw/f?p=108%3A200%3A%3A%3A%3A%3A%3A

• Like 1

I think most municipalities rely on much more than just filtration – according to    CDC:

Water comes from a variety of sources, such as lakes and wells, which can be contaminated with germs that may make people sick. Germs can also contaminate water as it travels through miles of piping to get to a community. To prevent contamination with germs, water companies add a disinfectant—usually either chlorine or chloramine—that kills disease-causing germs such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, and norovirus.

Chlorine and chloramine are the major disinfectants used in public water systems.

You can find out whether there is a disinfectant in your water, what kind of disinfectant is used, and how well your utility has followed the rules about disinfection by obtaining a copy of your utility’s consumer confidence report .

Also, you can send a sample of your drinking water to a reputable lab that is certified for testing water – and find out what’s in it…I’ve worked for some pretty persnickety CEOs and ranch owners who do that on a periodic basis…about all I’ve done for our family is test our tap water myself using a pool chemistry test kit from Leslie’s – same thing I use to check our pool water for chlorine and pH levels…no big whoop – I'd say it’s about 1 to 2  ppm…

( hey, long term that stuff ain’t good  to put in my body - but it's better than not treating the water and getting really bad $hit inside me – but I might as well fess up to all the heavy metals, processed food, carbonated drinks (beer & coke) I ingest…not to mention what’s in the environment…don’t get me started on allergies…Thought I had covid around first of the month even though I’ve been vaccinated and boosted – I had no fever but lots of congestion/coughing. But I tested negative – so did my wife. And I’m still dealing with congestion and hawking up big ugly lungers. Saw my doc yesterday – it’s just a new phase of how my body is dealing with allergies. Oh the glories of getting old!)  

… for emergency purposes I’ve also purchased some LifeStraws and water purification tablets from Amazon…during the BIG FREEZE last year we were without power for 3 days – but fortunately we had running water…until one of those big-a$$ water  pumps that brings in water from some “out-of-town-aquifer” froze – then we got a city-wide alert to boil our tap water cuz they were concerned about the low water pressure and who knows what “cooties” that might dredge up from towers getting low…

something that’s scary to think about – imagine an apocalyptic event that leaves you without power and water – but maybe just as important  - no sanitation! As a city dweller, what am I gonna do with all my trash, poop and pee, empty beer bottles and coke cans? Then when I least expect it – there’s zombie rats, cats, and stray dogs raiding my piles of trash. Come Lord Jesus.

Edited by T-Bone
The Apocalyptic Editor

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

Always check your source.  One wrong decision could be a lifetime of consequences.  

Fountain of Living Waters Memorial Garden in New Knoxville, Ohio - Find a  Grave Cemetery

:biglaugh:     :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Very funny Bolshevik

Maybe they should send that water off to the lab for testing…oh here it is – we’ve got the results back: 

*** TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION*** we regret to inform you that the sample you sent in has a high concentration of   rancid Kool-Aid,   sewer waste,   95 feces of cult-leader's theses,     Gnostic-waste,   waste-of-time waste,   ectoplasm,   hookie-pookism juice,   Liquid-Paper,   Plagiarism Lubricant,  3-in-1 Oil,  tinges of Drambuie and minute particles of Roofies ***

*** TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION***  DO NOT INGEST IN ANY AMOUNT ***

*** DO NOT SHARE WITH ANY OFFSHOOT MUNICIPALITY ***

***OFFICIALS FROM THE CDC ARE IN ROUTE EVEN AS YOU READ THIS TO ENSURE THIS SOURCE IS TERMINATED ***

*** MAKE SURE TO TUNE IN FOR THE NEXT EXCITING EPISODE OF X-FILES WHERE THIS STORY WILL INVOLVE BIBLE MUTILATIONS AND WOW ABDUCTIONS ***

Edited by T-Bone
this post contains 3 ppm of sarcasm
  • Upvote 1