GreaseSpot Cafe

Please stop...now...please

OldSkool

11 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Their services are polished to the hilt, complete with ear to ear smiles for all the musical performers. But they don't look at music as praise and worship. To the way, way productions is to prepare the audience to receive the teaching that is to follow.

That's exactly it.  Not praise and worship.  Not done from the heart.

Catchy jingles (sometimes) for Wayfer teaching.  Occasionally with scriptural content ("Be-e-e-e strong in the Lord and the power of his might...")  Thank goodness I can't remember much more of that song, which for most here is way later than their time with TWI.  It was the song for the year about 1998 or 1999 I think.

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

That's exactly it.  Not praise and worship.  Not done from the heart.

Catchy jingles (sometimes) for Wayfer teaching.  Occasionally with scriptural content ("Be-e-e-e strong in the Lord and the power of his might...")  Thank goodness I can't remember much more of that song, which for most here is way later than their time with TWI.  It was the song for the year about 1998 or 1999 I think.

Yes indeed. Now add this little tidbit of information to the equation. The directors use the sunday teahing service to address problems they feel are relevant to the expansion of the way international, etc. For example, classes aren't running in Rev. Dude's branch (sorry Big Lebowski...lol) -- that's a problem. So it's very likely that Rev. Dude's limb guy will have him teach outreach to address the problem. Now let's say that classes aren't running in several branches and it is identified as a larger problem. So the directors do would likely confront all the way corps and apply mass downward pressure for results and (you know field way corps are working sales positions) start "teaching" to correct the problem. Whenever there is a problem then you teach "the Word" to rectify the problem - that's a given with them. So I figured out when I was cabinet (because I would hear the problems in the cabinet meetings) that the problems will be addressed in a teaching somewhere - Way Mag, AC Special, etc, etc. If it's a larger problem, like the way international shrinking, then you can darn well bet that they will set the STS topics to address that problem. 

So when I heard that cheesy lyrincs to a otherwise nicely aranged, and well written song, I drew the conclusion that they are having lackluster attendance at fellowships and need to pep talk folks on the benefits of attending. Yeah, maybe I'm a bit cynical, but this is how they operated when I was there, and I doubt it has changed.

Edited by OldSkool

12 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I should have mentioned I was NOT knocking the tunes – Rod’s or TWI’s…and I know what you mean about getting an earbug – I actually liked TWI’s Family Music Video   –   the tune that is.:rolleyes:

To be clear, I am not either. I like Rod Stewart and respect him as an accomplished artist. The Family also is well written and I like the music. It's catchy. My problem is with the concept and the lyrics being just out of touch. For God's sake we are at the tail end of a pandemic and facing a conflict that could potentially ignite WW3....Im sure most people's problems out here across the world today are far greater than having a bad day at work and needing to talk about it. I digress.

But yes, to reiterate, the song has a lot of potential and is very catchy and well written.

Wow I did not know so many of my spotter brethren were so musically inclined.

I don’t have the energy to analyze all the bs with way productions past to present.

But ROA 72 film had some dudes in fros knocking over cymbals and sounding badass.

Between VP and Rosalie’s High Country Caravan BS to try and clean things up and make them Nashville PG audience approved canned productions it basically ruined the music and the culture.

They have tried to do things with music many times and are again with the summer youth rock or whatever.

But they are forever turning dang down because they are too old.  Guitars, real drums to electric, basses, synth, basically any musical talent riffs licks which makes songs good are vanilla edited out or turned down to the point of not being audible.

We have Stepford people with fake smiles delivering fake sentiments about fake families all dictated from on high.  All to borrowed tunes.  Could it suck more?

Rock on spotters we gonna have to do a tribute band lol 

:wink2:

I actually got to know these guys a bit.  4 brothers whose father was a pastor for some denomination disgraced over politics.  The church didn’t allow instruments just vocals only.

the boys ended up playing for the head cheese, who told them they would never play in one of his meetings.

so they left that group went on tour and played in everyone else’s church 165d a year tour.

real is real, fake is fake, and controlling d bags are a universal thing.

4 hours ago, chockfull said:

I actually got to know these guys a bit.  4 brothers whose father was a pastor for some denomination disgraced over politics.  The church didn’t allow instruments just vocals only.

the boys ended up playing for the head cheese, who told them they would never play in one of his meetings.

so they left that group went on tour and played in everyone else’s church 165d a year tour.

real is real, fake is fake, and controlling d bags are a universal thing.

They are really good. Happy to hear that they found success along their journey! Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, OldSkool said:

https://www.theway.org/online-resources/multimedia/the-family-music-video/

Will somebody please tell these guys that this is just awful....really....

He has a smartphone AND wireless headphones?  Does this mean they no longer Mark & Avoid the internet?  Fun fact: when that happened, my limb coordinator EMAILED the directive to everyone!!!  I asked at our next twig coordinator meeting if he saw any irony in that.  Sadly, he didn't.  SMH.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustThinking said:

He has a smartphone AND wireless headphones?  Does this mean they no longer Mark & Avoid the internet?  Fun fact: when that happened, my limb coordinator EMAILED the directive to everyone!!!  I asked at our next twig coordinator meeting if he saw any irony in that.  Sadly, he didn't.  SMH.  

No, the internet was only evil when the Allen lawsuit was in full swing and the way international didn't want the truth out in front of your average followers. Since they couldnt stifle the truth they slander GSC as being false accusations, dirtry communication, etc. and use the internet for their purposes to promote all things TWI. 

2 hours ago, JustThinking said:

Thank you!  I heard it immediately but couldn't place the tune.  

Yw!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chockfull said:

Here’s what the dudes playing at ROA 72 listened to for inspiration.  Polar opposites to Way Prod lol

2 hours ago, waysider said:

A lot of inspiration came from stuff like THIS, too.

So true Chockfull and Waysider

I think wierwille/TWI tended to stifle…maybe…strangle the creative life out of their musicians by trying to establish TWI’s own unique genre of homogenized-PFAL-eulogized-The-Rightly-Divided-Word-in-music style.

I will always treasure the people who introduced me to great music: 

My Dad: he had a great selection of big bands, movie soundtracks, classical, Jazz, Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and some pop. I now have a lot of that in the form of CDs and on my iPhone.

My brother: he gave me his old monaural portable record player and three albums: The Beatles’ Sgt. Peppers, The Four Tops Greatest Hits and The Mothers of Invention Freak Out. (regarding the record player - I later retrofitted it with a headphone jack with an external speaker-on/off toggle switch – it was my first SUCCESSFUL tech project; after that I retrofitted a similar setup on my Dad’s stereo console…(surprised I didn’t blow the headphone speakers…and it wasn’t until years later I learned about attenuating circuits  :rolleyes:  ). 

There’s a scene in the movie  Almost Famous   that always gets a lot of fond memories to well up inside – where young William Miller watches his older sister leave home and then he goes and gets her album collection and starts playing them. I left a You Tube link below of that scene – at about the 1:44 mark is when it starts…this is one of my all-time favorite movies.

My friend Jimi: my best friend in high school and a great drummer. He turned me onto Jimi Hendrix  (that’s when my friend James starting spelling his first name like JH)  , The Cream, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge…My first concert – was me and Jimi going to see Jimi H., Janis Joplin, Chambers Brothers and Soft Machine – what a line up! FYI – listening to The Cream I so wanted to play the guitar…my brother got me a cheapy electric guitar and amp. But I couldn’t figure out how to make Eric’s chords (for some reason getting lessons or finding how-to books never crossed my mind) – then I realized I could easily identify and isolate Jack’s bass lines – a lot easier task since it’s usually one note at a time – so I removed the skinnier B and E strings – re-notched the nut to spreadout the remaining 4 strings – and voila – I had the $hittiest sounding rinky dink eunuch bass ever ! And the rest is history of sonic-misery. :biglaugh:

My wife Tonto: (also, my best friend )   My list of influencers is actually a lot bigger – but I trimmed it down to these top 4 (Dad, brother,  Jimi and wife) for the sake of brevity using the one criterion of those who were the BIGGEST guides/mentors to deeply affect my taste, preferences and ultimately what musicians and singer/songwriters would inspire me…anyway,  marriage is such an interesting commingling of the experiences, backgrounds, tastes, etc. of two people don’t you think? 

She also liked The Beatles (and is a much bigger fan than I was) and also got me into The Rolling Stones, Eagles, Commander Cody, Asleep at the Wheel, southern rock, country, western, Bonnie Raitt, Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen, The Band, John Prine, James McMurtry, Joni Mitchell, CSN&Y, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and many, many more interesting singers/songwriters…Of these top 4 influencers, Tonto is the one that got me to really APPRECIATE THE LYRICS of songs. That’s not to dis the other 3 folks – cuz the music itself has always been a big deal to me – but my wife clued me in to a whole other fascinating dimension that I’ve been ignoring. It’s as if the words themselves have something to say. :anim-smile:

…anyway…here’s to all you influencers out there – thank you for being the vanguards of vinyl…8 tracks…cassettes…CDs…MP3s…can you hum a few bars?

Edited by T-Bone
Almost Famous editor
  • Upvote 1