GreaseSpot Cafe

George Ivanovich Gurdjieff a cult leader

frank123lol

So even reading Wikipedia on Gurdjieff is enlightening.  A Russian philosopher.  His approach is similar to a Buddhism concept of enlightenment.  The idea being waking sleeping people.

I will say that this is the first time I have ever heard a philosophy from an obscure Russian philosopher used as an excuse for why a clergyman could not control his anger or his mouth.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chockfull said:

I will say that this is the first time I have ever heard a philosophy from an obscure Russian philosopher used as an excuse for why a clergyman could not control his anger or his mouth.

That's not all he was unable to control.

Wrights policy of apprenticeship, students living with the teacher is not new. The idea that Wright just talked while the students worked is like the corps, wright taught not how to work but conceptual practices. Here in Midland, Mi home of Dow Chemical we had one such apprentice. The son of the founder of Dow a Alden Dow. He and his new wife did one summer in Wisconsin .The writings of Dow never talked of his time there or were to my knowledge any interaction with Wright again. Dow went on to win a world wide acclaim on his low bearing house with a pond around it .Gurdjieffs teachings were never mentioned. Dow was a Presbyterian. 

5 hours ago, frank123lol said:

Gurdjieffs teachings were never mentioned. Dow was a Presbyterian. 

One of the oddities of Gurdjieff is he did not teach receive, retain, release. 

Instead it was just receive and retain. 

He taught that witnessing the principles he was teaching should be NOT be done except in rare situations with a strongly motivated student-to-be.  He taught that keeping it all under the vest causes it to grow, and if you speak it out you lose some of it. So if Dow was a student, the norm was to keep quiet about it.  Being in a church would be another reason to keep quiet about it.

Edited by Mike

15 hours ago, Mike said:

A bit like Google, then, with all our personal information that it constantly gleans.

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

A bit like Google, then, with all our personal information that it constantly gleans.

That is an interesting take !

I think it was a marketing ploy for Gurdjieff.  The secrecy made his product more appealing that if everything were open. The intrigue generated sales.  He charged stiff prices for his class, and for the same reasons PFAL demanded payments.   This is one of the first things that I noticed.

20 hours ago, Mike said:

One of the oddities of Gurdjieff is he did not teach receive, retain, release. 

He taught that witnessing the principles he was teaching should be NOT be done except in rare situations with a strongly motivated student-to-be.  He taught that keeping it all under the vest causes it to grow, and if you speak it out you lose some of it. So if Dow was a student, the norm was to keep quiet about it.  Being in a church would be another reason to keep quiet about it.