GreaseSpot Cafe

Does critical thinking make you smarter?

Rocky

The lion analogy was bad.

If you stop to think critically about rustling bushes you're more likely to get eaten by the lion.  Standing there thinking like an idiot.

Those who don't think and just haul arse outta there are more likely to survive and think critically later.

If you don't think and run away, and there was no danger, you're still alive to think critically another day.

6 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

The lion analogy was bad.

If you stop to think critically about rustling bushes you're more likely to get eaten by the lion.  Standing there thinking like an idiot.

Those who don't think and just haul arse outta there are more likely to survive and think critically later.

If you don't think and run away, and there was no danger, you're still alive to think critically another day.

Did you actually watch/listen to the entire video? Krauss' use of the lion metaphor/analogy didn't suggest someone had to STOP to think about it first. And that was in the first three minutes.

What else did you find in the presentation that mattered to you?

Edited by Rocky

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Did you actually watch/listen to the entire video? Krauss' use of the lion metaphor/analogy didn't suggest someone had to STOP to think about it first. And that was in the first three minutes.

What else did you find in the presentation that mattered to you?

Religion is part of our evolution?  It was there for survival.  Questioning everything doesn't mean survival.  Evolution doesn't care about "realty".

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

Religion is part of our evolution?  It was there for survival.  Questioning everything doesn't mean survival.  Evolution doesn't care about "realty".

Please expound on that perspective, I mean, from the context of the video. Right now, your answer seems kinda cryptic to me.

10 hours ago, Rocky said:

Please expound on that perspective, I mean, from the context of the video. Right now, your answer seems kinda cryptic to me.

From what I remember the speaker said critical thinking doesn't help much with psychological reality.  Sounds like basic Nietche to me.

13 hours ago, Rocky said:

Skepticism can help us identify what is matter.

Skepticism does not help us identify what matters.

I think that's a common enough saying, is that clearer?

4 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Skepticism can help us identify what is matter.

Skepticism does not help us identify what matters.

I think that's a common enough saying, is that clearer?

Not really. Are you trying to get readers to realize what you intended to convey?

Rocky, the videos and books you recommend here are always appropriate and excellent and helpful.  Thank you. And thank you ALL for making GSC available to anyone seeking understanding.

I don't know if critical thinking makes one smarter, but it sure helps in making one freer. Free from the bondage of belief. I especially liked Michael Shermer's section. He says, "The problem is this: None of us has the truth." I'll amend that slightly. The problem is BELIEVING you have the truth. The Truth (that which is eternal) is nothing to possess.

Anyone claiming to possess the Truth surely doesn't.

What is the legend of Socrates? The oracle deemed him the wisest of all because he first admitted to knowing nothing. 

I was admonishing my son last week to BELIEVE no one. Either you know or don't know. Belief can be very dangerous. Find out for yourself. Ask lots of questions. Doubt is a virtue. Don't be afraid of doubting; be afraid of believing. 

Lately, I've been reading Charles S. Peirce's "The Fixation of Belief." This video dovetails perfectly.

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Rocky, the videos and books you recommend here are always appropriate and excellent and helpful.  Thank you. And thank you ALL for making GSC available to anyone seeking understanding.

I don't know if critical thinking makes one smarter, but it sure helps in making one freer. Free from the bondage of belief. I especially liked Michael Shermer's section. He says, "The problem is this: None of us has the truth." I'll amend that slightly. The problem is BELIEVING you have the truth. The Truth (that which is eternal) is nothing to possess.

Anyone claiming to possess the Truth surely doesn't.

What is the legend of Socrates? The oracle deemed him the wisest of all because he first admitted to knowing nothing. 

I was admonishing my son last week to BELIEVE no one. Either you know or don't know. Belief can be very dangerous. Find out for yourself. Ask lots of questions. Doubt is a virtue. Don't be afraid of doubting; be afraid of believing. 

Lately, I've been reading Charles S. Peirce's "The Fixation of Belief." This video dovetails perfectly.

Thanks Nathan Jr. I consider curiousity to be a treasured trait (or condition) from which I suffer. :wink2: I had to look up Charles Peirce. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Your comment on belief resonates with me. 

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

Thanks Nathan Jr. I consider curiousity to be a treasured trait (or condition) from which I suffer. :wink2: I had to look up Charles Peirce. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Your comment on belief resonates with me. 

Peirce is not pleasurable to read because he writes like the academic scientist he was 120 years ago. "Fixation of Belief" is his treatment of how and why we come to believe. I stumbled across it in my quest to find out why we believe anything at all. This quest became exceedingly urgent in the wake of "taking the class," domestic political fever, and the global pandemic.

He presents four methods we use in fixing our beliefs or resolving doubt. In ascending order, weakest to strongest:

1. Tenacity. If a doubt arises about X, take a particular position on X, constantly reiterate that position to yourself in a way that you begin to believe X, then shut out anything that might cause you to doubt X. [David Agler]

2. Authority. Victor said it, that settles it, I believe it.

3. Agreeable to Reason (a priori). We simply think through whatever doubt we have until we happen upon a belief that seems right to us. [David Agler]

4. Science. The scientific method.

For more on critical thinking, doubt, belief and curiosity, check out Anthony Magnabosco's fascinating channel about street epistemology.

https://youtube.com/c/AnthonyMagnabosco210

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, modcat5 said:

I think the relationship between critical thinking and intelligence is symbiotic. Each feeds into the other.

So yes and no, but more yes than no.

In my opinion

I agree in that we are very limited by our genetics.  

2 hours ago, modcat5 said:

I think the relationship between critical thinking and intelligence is symbiotic. Each feeds into the other.

So yes and no, but more yes than no.

In my opinion

That seems rational.