GreaseSpot Cafe

Power for Abundant Living Today™

OldSkool

On 4/28/2022 at 2:35 PM, OldSkool said:

One of the many problems I have with rehashed PFAL is all the self-help type verbage they use to advertise it. Well...law of believing is major error... as is administrations...etc...anywho.

The life-changing truths in this class will help each student:

overcome worry and fear
increase in prosperity
maintain health
develop more harmony in the home
pray effectively
—and so much more!

https://www.theway.org/blog/power-for-abundant-living-today/

One of VPs contemporaries was Norman Vincent Peale.  He wrote the book The Power of Positive Thinking.  I have an old copy of this in paperback.  I think many of the claims off the back of that book are identical or very very similar to the PFAL claims.

What are the odds that those bullet points were lifted?

4 hours ago, Mike said:

The reason VPW phrased it so compactly, and nestled in a camouflaging negative context is because WE WERE NOT READY FOR IT YET.

He hid other Easter Eggs in there for meek grads to find. He hid them all well.

Sir, you are delusional on this particular subject. My former wife WORKED in way publications for years as one of their lead editors. Most all of VPWs writings were cobbed together and comprised mostly of presentations he did at various points, or in the case of PFAL (and others) the material was lifted from two or more works from uncredited authors. There are no easter eggs. They are not there. I have a broad insider perspective on this topic my friend. THERE ARE NO EASTER EGGS.

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

One of VPs contemporaries was Norman Vincent Peale.  He wrote the book The Power of Positive Thinking.  I have an old copy of this in paperback.  I think many of the claims off the back of that book are identical or very very similar to the PFAL claims.

What are the odds that those bullet points were lifted?

Yessir! I did a loose knot article on the law of believing...for those interested...

https://cloud.disroot.org/s/o2n6WBFDT3BNnSQ

In a nutshell all of the power of positive thinking BS introduced into Christianity in the last couple hundred years traces back to Phineas Parkhurst Quimby, Helena Blavatsky, and other occultists who intermingled occultic practices into Christianity. Imagine that...someone mixing paganism into Christianity...who woulda thunk....suffice it to say any roads leading back to EW Kenyon are polluted with this BS.

Edited by OldSkool
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, waysider said:

And yet you do. 

No. I asked several language experts about PFAL p 83.   I also discussed it for hours on the phone with J. Fred Wilson and a few e-mails with Karen Martin. 

In case you don't know J. Fred Wilson and Karen Martin were VPW's editors for the PFAL book.

Those two agreed with my grammar analysis, maybe less for Karen.  But J.Fred balked at believing it, so outlandish it is.  But as we talked he slowly felt better about it.

Karen's consultation was not as complete, because Don Wierwille had just died and we were interrupted, and never resumed the conversation.  Karen used a term I had never heard before:  inspiration of explication.  It sounded interesting. 

I also asked Way Mag editor David Craley about it.  He agreed with my grammar, but disagreed theologically.

Edited by Mike

50 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Sir, you are delusional on this particular subject. My former wife WORKED in way publications for years as one of their lead editors. Most all of VPWs writings were cobbed together and comprised mostly of presentations he did at various points, or in the case of PFAL (and others) the material was lifted from two or more works from uncredited authors. There are no easter eggs. They are not there. I have a broad insider perspective on this topic my friend. THERE ARE NO EASTER EGGS.

Easter eggs in movies are hidden messages and images.

There are no Easter eggs in PFAL or any of wierwille’s works…if anything his works might qualify as scrambled eggs – that old fox / wolf (hybrid?) whipped them up after raiding a bunch of hen houses.

Edited by T-Bone
here is where the editor hides his Easter eggs

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

I am very familiar with the workings of the publication department.

I happened to live next door to J.Fred Wilson, a PFAL book editor, and one of my best friends since the 70s.  Another very good friend is David Craley. a Way Mag editor. Also, I lived across the street from Milford Bowen, a former editor of Dr's.  I talked to these people a lot back in the 70s about the books, and again on the phone in the early 2000s.

They all told me that in spite of the many people working on editing and smoothing out his teachings into written form, VPW was a constant supervisor and watched everything very closely, especially as it got near the galley stages. 

According to the Univ of Life teachings by VPW on 1 Thessalonians and 2 Thessalonians  Verses 1:1 in each, this same edition process can be seen operating in the first century.  The verses open with "Paul, Silas, and Timothy...." and it looks at first like all three were authors of those Epistles.  But Dr teaches that first the revelation came to Paul, and then he discussed it with the other two, and then all three put it into written form.

Maybe your former wife would be delighted to hear that she had taken part in the process like Silas and Timothy.

Edited by Mike

Power for Abundant Living

The first word is power.  I remember LCM in his class shadow boxing the air to emphasize kata Kratos or something Greek to me.

How on earth could any class increase a person's power?  Secret knowledge?  Knowledge is not power.  Believing?  Belief is not power.

44 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Knowledge is not power.

What a horribly pessimistic and self-limiting declaration. "Knowledge is power" is a saying that goes back at least four centuries. Whether or not what Loy Martindale or Victor Wierwille taught gives a person much power can be debated, for sure. However, as a  concept in the abstract, there's a lot of truth in the proverb and the oodles of meaning underlying it.

Internet search "knowledge is power" 

6 minutes ago, Rocky said:

What a horribly pessimistic and self-limiting declaration. "Knowledge is power" is a saying that goes back at least four centuries. Whether or not what Loy Martindale or Victor Wierwille taught gives a person much power can be debated, for sure. However, as a  concept in the abstract, there's a lot of truth in the proverb and the oodles of meaning underlying it.

Internet search "knowledge is power" 

I think this was explored in George RR Martin's story.  Knowledge does not give one power.  Even if the series flopped at the end.  Orange people don't need knowledge.

Power for Abundant Living

Word of Knowledge.

You need knowledge to get more knowlege.  Come on.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I am very familiar with the workings of the publication department.

Maybe your former wife would be delighted to hear that she had taken part in the process like Silas and Timothy.

You, obviously, are not familiar with how way publications works. She was there a good decade or more and 2000 was one of the years she was there. Most all of the editing they did, especially from the time of the Allen lawsuit, was to clean up the publications because the older editions were a mess. The publications contradicted each other, there were major unsubstantiated claims, and the grammer and structure of the writings were horrible. Not the work of a seasoned author, not the work of God almighty either - unless God almighty contradicts himself. Again -- THERE ARE NO EASTER EGGS. There is no hidden, secret structure to wierwilles books. Most of his materials were stolen or written by people in the research department years ago. VPW's work was extremely sloppy and it all needed a major overhaul.

Edited by OldSkool

38 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I think this was explored in George RR Martin's story.  Knowledge does not give one power.  Even if the series flopped at the end.  Orange people don't need knowledge.

Cryptic and obtuse. If this is something you'd like to discuss, more information (clarification) on your intent is necessary. :wink2: :confused: 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

According to the Univ of Life teachings by VPW on 1 Thessalonians and 2 Thessalonians  Verses 1:1 in each, this same edition process can be seen operating in the first century.  The verses open with "Paul, Silas, and Timothy...." and it looks at first like all three were authors of those Epistles.  But Dr teaches that first the revelation came to Paul, and then he discussed it with the other two, and then all three put it into written form.

The first problem we have here is "According to the Univ of Life teachings by VPW on 1 Thessalonians and 2 Thessalonians." Did you actually go back and check this statement for accuracy in any way? How does VPW know that Paul, Silas, and Timothy formed an Epistle comittee to discuss revelation that Jesus Christ gave to Paul? Is there a chapter and verse? Can we see that historically? Serious questions. Follow the logic: All scripture is God breathed, it's given to holy men of God who were moved by holy spirit. Why would Paul need to talk it over with Silas and Timothy? The Church epistles are new light. None of the information existed before it was given by Jesus Christ to various epistle authors - it was a mystery hidden in God! What would Timothy and Silas do...proovide accuracy checks somehow?

She most definately did not take part of any process even remotely similar to anything we imagine Silas and Timothy did with Paul. For one we don't really know what they did besides what can be inferred from a few scriptures, the rest is conjecture. Way publications is a department where editors aren't even allowed to talk to one another during work hours. You think they are in there having lively discussions on biblical accuracy? Ha! They are treated like kids in there, heck, they had to sign in and out to go use the bathroom. It's one of the most mundane, heavily micromanaged departments around headquarters. Do you think they sit there and do developmental edits for content accuracy using the Bible or something? If anything comes up they query their supervisors in writing and they compare the points in question with other way ministry publications for accuracy. When ministry publications do not agree amongst themselves (which was often) then the issue is passed over to the research department. The research department was ONE part time person when I was there! Everything the so called research department does is subjec to approval by the directors. Do you see the glaring problem? They don't take it to scripture in any meaningful way. They ues their own proven ministry research to double check their own publications to make them all agree. The biggest cover up pulled off by the way international is editing VPS's works for the past 40 years to make them look legitimate when in fact they were a cobbed together, plagairaised mess.

Edited by OldSkool
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

How does VPW know that Paul, Silas, and Timothy formed an Epistle committee to discuss revelation that Jesus Christ gave to Paul?

Archeologists recently uncovered an ancient coffee shop of sorts. Among the items they found were 3 coffee cups inscribed with the names Timbo, DJ Silas and Paulie. They also found an ancient percolator, the basket still intact and filled with what appeared to be the remnants of moldy, stretched coffee.

Edited by waysider
  • Like 1

If there was a secret message in PFAL that was hidden in plain sight, it was this: Wierwille did not believe the Bible was holy or a cohesive unit. Everything he did after that was a con for his personal profit.

Fits ALL the evidence.

"The PFAL writings are God,-breathed" does not fit the evidence.

Raf.

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

The biggest cover up pulled off by the way international is editing VPS's works for the past 40 years to make them look legitimate when in fact they were a cobbled together, plagiarized mess.

YES! yes-baby.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSkool said:

She most definately did not take part of any process even remotely similar to anything we imagine Silas and Timothy did with Paul.

If she did not work at the TOP of the publications department, and she did not work there when VPW was still president, pre1982, then of course she didn't see what I am describing.

It was editors who described their interactions with VPW to me, and it was all pre 1982

And for you and all the Easter Bunny atheists out there, I now feel compelled to bring more Easter Eggs to the table.

Edited by Mike

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

If she did not work at the TOP of the publications department, and she did not work there when VPW was still president, pre1982, then of course she didn't see what I am describing.

It was editors who described their interactions with VPW to me, and it was all pre 1982

And for you and all the Easter Bunny atheists out there, I now feel compelled to bring more Easter Eggs to the table.

Dude...your setting up a straw man argument....stick to the content we were dealing with, please. When someone worked in way publications and how close they were to vp have nothing to do with anything. 

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

If she did not work at the TOP of the publications department,

Wheres the bottom? There was only around 8 staff in there...most all of them corps.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mike said:

Soooo, you're basing your assertion on 40 year old, secondhand hearsay?

Edited by waysider

On 4/29/2022 at 6:23 AM, waysider said:

I'm curious. How do you "stretch" a coffee pod?

One applies a few sprinkles of salt.  Then don't forget.  How do you remove lipstick stains from Styrofoam cups?  Carefully, very carefully.