GreaseSpot Cafe

Scripture Interprets Itself

https://thewayinternational.com/the-scripture-interprets-itself-in-the-verse-right-where-it-is-written/

Have you ever felt that the Bible is a closed book? That it is difficult or even impossible to understand? Many people feel this way because they have never been taught how to understand the Bible. People have been left trying to interpret the Word for themselves.

II Peter 1:20:
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private 
[one’s own] interpretation.

God never meant for us to interpret the Word for ourselves; we do not need to, nor should we. Instead, we can learn how the Scripture interprets itself in three main ways: (1) In the verse, (2) In the context, and (3) Used before.

Edited by Bolshevik
all posts edit themselves . . . poorly

"Scripture Interprets Itself"  -  I don't know what this means.  If I need something interpreted, it's because it's written in a language I don't understand.  Or written in code.

Soooo . . . .  this whole phrase "scripture interprets itself" is meant to suggest to the mind that's there decoding to take place?  A secret message?

And point #1 - "In the verse" . . . . pretty sure this book wasn't written down in verses . . . are we playing "I don't understand why you don't understand" here?  You just told me I'm doing it wrong.

#2 "in the context" - context of what?

#3 "used before" . . . .where?  Out of context?

• Like 1

"Have you ever felt that the Bible is a closed book?" - Is this a joke?  lol

"Many people feel this way because they have never been taught how to understand the Bible."   . . . . .This is the same idea as "nobody can go beyond what they've been taught".  . . . .You can't do anything right.  You neeeeeeed Us.

"People have been left trying to interpret the Word for themselves."   . . . This sentence 'feels' dropped out of the air.  I'm picturing succors on the side of the road holding a Bible while Jesus gets on the bus and doesn't wave. . . . But but . . . what does this mean???

God never meant for us to interpret the Word for ourselves; we do not need to, nor should we. Instead, we can learn how the Scripture interprets itself in three main ways

Okay . . . God doesn't want us to interpret the scriptures for ourselves . . . BUT . . . we can learn how the Scripture interprets itself 

Why . . . Why . . . am I going to read it if it interprets itself . . . I really don't feel needed in this process.  

II Peter 1:20:
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private 
[one’s own] interpretation.

There's a Bible verse in here too.  We haven't learned how to interpret it yet . . . sorry . . . it interprets itself . . . so don't bother reading it.

The verse is really just there to frame a place for all the sentences and words around it.  We should focus on those.

Often, the Scripture interprets itself in the verse right where it is written. In fact, the vast majority of God’s Word will interpret itself right in the verse where it is written. Knowing this, we can begin to enjoy reading and understanding the Bible.

Okay so two sentences say the same thing.  Because repetition repetition repetition.  You can't know something without it repeated to you over and over and over and zzzzzzzzzz.

*wakes up*

Okay . . . The scripture has interpreted itself . . . No work to be done here.

And now we *know* something.  Now begin reading and enjoying the Bible . . . After we know it.

So don't interpret anything . . . The work has already been done.

God clearly states that He wants us to understand His Word.

Ephesians 3:3,4:
How that by revelation he 
[God] made known unto me [Paul] the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of 
[pertaining to] Christ).

Psalms 119:33,34,129:
Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it 
unto the end.
Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with 
my whole heart.
Thy testimonies 
are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.

Now here we have a sentence.  Followed by some verses.  Not necessarily all from the same area o the book, maybe some verses are skipped.

I'd ask if that is out of context but I know that would be interpreting things my own way so we're just going to accept it all at face value.

Let’s look at some clear examples of scriptures that interpret themselves in the verse right where they are written.

John 17:17:
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

This next sentence seems oddly familiar.  Prolly just deja vu.

Seems to indicate there will be many examples but I see only one. But, that's my private interpretation.  Let's not jump to conclusions.

Edited by Bolshevik
Autocorrect privately interpreted

Here in this one verse of scripture is a clear answer to the age-old question, what is truth? Jesus Christ declared, “thy word is truth.” God’s Word is truth. We can understand this by just reading. Here is another verse that interprets itself right where it is written.

Genesis 1:1:
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Now we can get into questions nobody asked.

See how we are being told it's the truth?  We know it's the truth because it said so.  The scripture decided that.  No need to question it.  That's private interpretation.

And another verse, with answers.  You will have questions later.

God provides another clear answer to a question many people have: how did the heavens and earth come into existence? He explains it clearly and simply in this first verse of the Bible. God created them! No commentary, and seldom a dictionary, are needed to understand verses that interpret themselves right where they are written. The majority of God’s Word interprets itself in the verse.

Here we are told that we are motivated.  To decide for yourself what drives you may be kind of like private interpretation, right?  Let's not think about that, we are really blessed.

Edited by Bolshevik
Thought too much

I Samuel 17 contains the record of David and Goliath, which interprets itself right where it is written. In the Book of Daniel are easy-to-understand narratives of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego as well as Daniel in the lion’s den.

In the Book of Acts we can read about how Peter and the apostles brought the good news of the Grace Administration to the world after Jesus Christ had ascended into heaven. We can also read in Acts how Paul became a believer and how he moved the Word with Barnabas, Silas, Timothy, Luke, and others. Each verse clearly builds to the next, so we can just read and read. Right in the verse—verse after verse—we are not only understanding rich records of truth, but we are also growing closer to the Author, our loving heavenly Father!

Now we have a list, or teaching, about all the exciting things the scripture interpreted for us!  We are smiling now!

Edited by Bolshevik
Privately spelled a word

The vast majority of God’s Word will interpret itself in the verse, right where it is written. And if that interpretation is not readily apparent, there are other keys to reading and understanding the Word, which we will publish in the coming months. Enjoy reading God’s Word, and expect to see your understanding of the Word grow!

So the last paragraph let's us know the scripture interprets itself, since stating the same thing over and over always results in a logical and exciting conclusion.

Don't you feel excited for more?  We'll let you know.

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

"Scripture Interprets Itself"  -  I don't know what this means.  If I need something interpreted, it's because it's written in a language I don't understand.  Or written in code.

Soooo . . . .  this whole phrase "scripture interprets itself" is meant to suggest to the mind that's there decoding to take place?  A secret message?

And point #1 - "In the verse" . . . . pretty sure this book wasn't written down in verses . . . are we playing "I don't understand why you don't understand" here?  You just told me I'm doing it wrong.

#2 "in the context" - context of what?

#3 "used before" . . . .where?  Out of context?

Scripture interprets itself” is nonsensical – it implies no other agency is needed.

Consider some definitions from the internet for interpret, translate and interpreter:

Interpret: explain the meaning of information, words, or actions; translate orally or into sign language the words of a person speaking a different language.

Translate: express the sense of (words or text) in another language; to express in more comprehensible terms: EXPLAIN, INTERPRET.

An interpreter is responsible for facilitating communication between different language speakers by translating information from one language to another for easy comprehension.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Note in all of the above there is an intermediary or go-between involved - a person who acts as a link between people of different languages. In a sense translators of the ancient biblical manuscripts are bridging the gap between the original languages of Hebrew, Aramaic, Koine Greek and the modern languages of various cultures like English, Spanish, French, etc.

I believe the phrase “scripture interprets itself” is something wierwille erroneously bastardized from Bullinger’s works. In Bullinger’s “How to Enjoy the Bible” the idea is expressed along the lines of “these are the keys to interpreting the Bible, paying attention to the verse, context, previous usage, etc.” It’s a given that a human’s cognitive skills are involved rather than expecting inanimate words on a page to do the job. In other words what Bullinger was saying is "To do it properly and logically this is how   YOU   should interpret the Bible". That's a big difference from the befuddling nonsense that wierwille was teaching

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

. . . "To do it properly and logically this is how   YOU   should interpret the Bible". That's a big difference from the befuddling nonsense that wierwille was teaching

What???   I have agency.  I move my mouth, my tongue, my lips.  If I can't interpret what I'm saying someone else can.  I Corinthians 14:27, interpreted right there in the verse!

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Bullinger was saying is "To do it properly and logically this is how   YOU   should interpret the Bible". That's a big difference from the befuddling nonsense that wierwille was teaching

Great catch. If WE can do so properly, I suppose we wouldn't need Wierwille's or his lackeys to do it for us. :wink2: :confused: :beer: 

Hence, they were able to keep the REAL underlying purpose of the cult, human need for belonging, obscured so they didn't have to disclose it up front. 

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

. . .

I believe the phrase “scripture interprets itself” is something wierwille erroneously bastardized from Bullinger’s works. In Bullinger’s “How to Enjoy the Bible” the idea is expressed along the lines of “these are the keys to interpreting the Bible, paying attention to the verse, context, previous usage, etc.” It’s a given that a human’s cognitive skills are involved rather than expecting inanimate words on a page to do the job. In other words what Bullinger was saying is "To do it properly and logically this is how   YOU   should interpret the Bible". That's a big difference from the befuddling nonsense that wierwille was teaching

Thank you for the connection to Bullinger, T-Bone.

Obviously the Bible doesn't teach people the alphabet.  Experience outside the Bible would be required to read, understand, interpret, . . .I assume a back and forth between living and reading (as opposed to oops! I forgot something and am out of fellowship)

VPW's game would have always been to merge your being with his.  He needed your dependence, your identity, your self. 

Another move to replace your unconscious with his.  

The Word interprets itself is a magical lie.

image.png