GreaseSpot Cafe

Acqaintances Claim to Have Talked With A Donkey and a Snake

These folks were by no means close friends of mine, but ones who had popped in and out of my life from the past, chiefly thru reading of them, from some old books passed down through the years.

Another person even claims, as he was hiking in the mountains, a bush burst into flames, after which God proceeded to talk to him. He was even given a couple of stone tablets from God, which supposedly proclaimed God’s will for his people.. Great! But, then this guy threw the tablets down and broke them, as he became angry. What goes on with that? 

I really hate to admit it, but I’m concerned about their mental health. Jokingly, we can talk about chatting with a boa constrictor or diamond back rattle snake, but I fear it is beyond that with them. They claim this snake changed their’s, and all their relatives lives forever, by tricking one of them to eat an apple. Crazy, huh?

And listening to a donkey talk? Hard to comprehend, isn’t it?

I know you all are not Dear Abby, but I do need some help dealing with these situations. Any help will be truly appreciated, as  I really what to assist  them in any way I can

• Like 1

I love science.  Biology is my favorite topic.

Our ancestors lived in trees.  They were prey animals.  Had to develop a healthy fear of predators.

Ever suddenly noticed a snake-like movement without thinking?  It's that sense in action.  In you DNA, the memory of your nonhuman ancestors.

A talking snake seems reasonable in that regard, in a story.  As apposed to a fox.

Our eyes are also from those tree dwellers.  Red is the color of food.  That's why red cars and red lipstick are so popular.  But yeah they ate fruit very likely.

Those stories . . .  Stories . . Have a truth to them.  Not facts, snakes don't talk.  But truth.

Symbolism is a thing, right?  Unless it's not.  I mean letters are symbols, so how'd you read about talking snakes in the first place?

25 minutes ago, Stayed Too Long said:

Are you serious? Peek at Genesis 3:1.

Am I serious about what?

I point out the relationship between understanding symbolism in reading stories and that your ability to read depends on using symbolism in the first place . . . And then you tell me to use the ability to read  . . . Oh wait, your asking for help was not meant to be taken literally  . . . Which also shows you understand sarcasm.

Edited by Bolshevik
Symbolic sarcasm like a hand in a glove

Okay, I'm trying to fit in suggesting using snake oil to help with your boa constrictor situation, but then the symbolism, which I find obvious, kicks in my mind.

Maybe start singing Sir-Mix-A-Lot every time it comes up?

2 hours ago, Raf said:

So many of the Bible's stories crumble when you look at them that way.

Hey, Jonah! Where you been?

See?  Plenty of whales after a catfish.  They'll site Balaam, whatever.

16 hours ago, Raf said:

So many of the Bible's stories crumble when you look at them that way.

Hey, Jonah! Where you been?

Apparently God piped oxygen to Jonah for three days or he would have drowned or suffocated. Jonah more than likely had plenty to eat—raw fish the whale had caught.

It must have a rough ride for Johah in the whale’s belly as the great fish cruised up and down the ocean looking for food. Ouch!

And how do we know this story happened? Easy. Jonah told someone when he got out. RIght? And that person said, "wow, Jonah, that's the ONLY possible explanation for where you've been this week. Yup." 

Come on, really?

46 minutes ago, Raf said:

And how do we know this story happened? Easy. Jonah told someone when he got out. RIght? And that person said, "wow, Jonah, that's the ONLY possible explanation for where you've been this week. Yup." 

Come on, really?

I wouldn't assume Jonah actually existed.  Considering how this story is similar to other stories it's likely the same story as another story.  Pinocchio being that story told AGAIN.  

Oh wait, we're talking about fish stories.  Good times, right? 

58 minutes ago, Stayed Too Long said:

Apparently God piped oxygen to Jonah for three days or he would have drowned or suffocated. Jonah more than likely had plenty to eat—raw fish the whale had caught.

It must have a rough ride for Johah in the whale’s belly as the great fish cruised up and down the ocean looking for food. Ouch!

Ah, see, biology.  Whales are not fish.  The biggest one's usually eat plankton, and swallowing large objects is an issue.  Considering also the undersea pressure at various depths.  A horse will fit in a blue whale's fart bubble won't it?  Can't breathe it though.

There are sperm whales in the Mediterranean and Red Seas.  

If you think this fish story is absurd . . . I watched these people put money into a whicker horn shaped basket . . . they claimed that the more you put in the more you get back later . . . somehow, someway