GreaseSpot Cafe

God Needs Another Rose Pedal In Heaven

37 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Today's what? Do you mean today's American culture and society? With that specified I'd agree with you. Culture and society never has been about logic. However, I could direct you to numerous books to shed light on the subject, if you'd like. Just let me know.

Regardless, I realize it's incredibly frustrating to come to awareness that facts and reality play such a small role in American culture. Btw, I have a t-shirt which declares "Truth Matters: Go Fact Yourself."

Yeah some sources are saying the virgins is a mistranslation and the Quran was talking about food, raisins.

This virgin argument presented in this thread is decades old.  It seems just an inflammatory argument.

Stayed Too Long is pointing out rituals surrounding death.  And rituals around death is not exclusive to humans.  Elephants and primates mourn.  Visit graveyards even.

33 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Today's what? Do you mean today's American culture and society? With that specified I'd agree with you. Culture and society never has been about logic. However, I could direct you to numerous books to shed light on the subject, if you'd like. Just let me know.

Regardless, I realize it's incredibly frustrating to come to awareness that facts and reality play such a small role in American culture. Btw, I have a t-shirt which declares "Truth Matters: Go Fact Yourself."

Specifically I am referring to the discussion of this thread. To be comforted someone has to believe God called their loved one home to be in his choir. Instead of just believing they died and will be raised from the dead some day, as the bible states, they imagine something with no basis for it. The same as the young child, someone has to believe God called their child home to be in God’s garden. There is no basis for such conjecture, but it makes them feel better to image that. I attempted to show there is a relatively new belief by showing in the 1880’s people only mentioned suffering in response to death. I then expressed it wasn’t until the 1980’s people decided pet’s went to heaven to be comforted when a dog or cat  dies. There is absolutely no basis in fact for creating such an idea, and there is no proof people will be reunited with their pets someday. I showed how ridiculous this would be by saying someone who had 20 pets and how difficult it would be to have them all together. Or if a pet had 3 owners who would get to see them? Can you image how upset the steer is going to when he realizes you ate a steak off his flank? You had better run.
It is nuts to think any of this will ever happen. Let’s stay in reality for our comfort.

I then pointed out that it is at least, in the Koran, a Muslim warrior killed in battle for Alluh will be given 70 virgins. That has a basis in fact. 

Of course my view is, that the best we can hope for in death is we don’t suffer  too much in the process, and our rotting body will fertilize some plant and help it grow. There is nothing after this life than a hole in the ground. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stayed Too Long said:

. . .

Of course my view is, that the best we can hope for in death is we don’t suffer  too much in the process, and our rotting body will fertilize some plant and help it grow. There is nothing after this life than a hole in the ground. 

What about helping ensure life continues after you're gone?

Awareness of the future, to plan for the future.  . . . And the knowledge we will die . . . There is concern for people other than ourselves.

A God is something bigger than yourself, that is shared among generations.

It doesn't have to be a God.  Maybe something else.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Stayed Too Long said:

To be comforted someone has to believe God called their loved one home to be in his choir. Instead of just believing they died and will be raised from the dead some day, as the bible states, they imagine something with no basis for it.

No basis? You seem to be taking Wierwille's interpretation as something every Christian church believed and taught. That's just not the case. Yes, they imagine something that they think has basis in what they understand of Christianity. I'm not arguing for or against Wierwille's interpretation.

"There is absolutely no basis in fact for creating such an idea, and there is no proof people will be reunited with their pets someday."

Be that as it may, that there may be "no basis in fact for creating such an idea" is unrelated to how cultures and societies develop ideas. Never has been and never will be.

Logic is a domain of philosophy (that's which university departments teach logic), not of the Humanities or Social Sciences.

Edited by Rocky

You said, more than once, that it was only from the 1980s onward that people believed their pets would live on in the afterlife.   No, even vpw mentioned it in the filmed/taped pfal class.  He complained about "immortal soul" and so on, and said that's why some religions teach that animals live on forever, and that's why they have a Dog Heaven and a Cat Heaven, and so on.   He was teaching at at least in the 60s in response to what some people believed, which means some people were teaching otherwise, somewhere, at the time. 

A mother in the Ukraine recently needed to get her son, with down syndrome, to move . . . you know, before the bombs and bullets came through.  The boy couldn't understand.  So mom told him they were going on a trip to find John Cena, the boy's hero.   That got the boy to move.  Was she supposed to tackle him or leave him behind?

In this case John Cena heard about this story and went to meet the boy.

I was listening to another gentleman talk about the American Dream.  There are different variants of this dream but one includes wealth.  He acknowledged the dream was full of lies, . . . you're not going to work yourself into a billionaire . . . they're not self-made . . . but as I understand he did not want the dream tossed because it motivates people to better their condition. 

29 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

A mother in the Ukraine recently needed to get her son, with down syndrome, to move . . . you know, before the bombs and bullets came through.  The boy couldn't understand.  So mom told him they were going on a trip to find John Cena, the boy's hero.   That got the boy to move.  Was she supposed to tackle him or leave him behind?

In this case John Cena heard about this story and went to meet the boy.

I was listening to another gentleman talk about the American Dream.  There are different variants of this dream but one includes wealth.  He acknowledged the dream was full of lies, . . . you're not going to work yourself into a billionaire . . . they're not self-made . . . but as I understand he did not want the dream tossed because it motivates people to better their condition. 

As per many of your posts, what does it have to do with the subject at hand?

9 minutes ago, Stayed Too Long said:

As per many of your posts, what does it have to do with the subject at hand?

What is the subject hand?  The opening post, like this website, doesn't state one.  What does this subforum have to do with Victor Paul Wierwille?

Does God have enough rose pedals in heaven?  

You have decided that God has a rose garden with pedals made of dead people?