GreaseSpot Cafe

They spoke in tongues and had a prayer vigil...It didn't end well.

waysider

9 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

When Lo shanta al la hanta gobble de gook is considered a complete thought, what could go wrong?

Doubt they'll ever think of it as murder either.

Likely the parents, if not the other 12 apparently being charged, will have LOTS of time to think about the ramifications of their stupidity. Very sad for the innocent young girl.

That religious $hit is crazy-mean-stupid! :CUSSING:     :realmad:     :mad2:

When we were in-residence at Rome City, our son developed a very painful ear infection. So we took him to Third Aid…( Third Aid! Yes they called it Third Aid!  But right now  I’m not going to parse that pontificating nonsense…TWI liked to make mincemeat out of normal language and logic and defer to wierwille’s coo-coo ideology)

The lady who worked at Third Aid was an a$$hole to begin with…and you know that old saying “cream rises to the top” meaning a “good” a$$hole in TWI cannot go unnoticed for long…further meaning   more often than not they’re viewed as “having way corps potential” ….so anyway this Third Aid lady is telling us to put a clove of garlic in his ear. We told her we wanted to take him to a real doctor knowing the doc would probably better diagnose and more than likely prescribe effective treatment.  Third Aid lady says something to the effect of “well, if you want to go somewhere where they’re going to put poisons in your child, go ahead.”

Let me be clear on this – we  WERE   ALLOWED    to go off-campus – so we then took our son to a real doctor in Wolcottville – but the policies and procedures of the Rome City campus dictated we had to go through Third Aid   first…and I’m sure the Third Aid lady enjoyed flexing her demigod-given authority.

How awful for young Elizabeth…her death was preventable…that story stirs up memories of the manipulative and denigrating bull$hit at a corps campus…cult-dogma puts even families in conflict. “When it comes to cult-dogma, I have no friends…or family”.

Edited by T-Bone
typos and clarity

I knew a guy in The Way (staffer) who lost his life to cancer by doing this. He left behind a wife and 2 little kids. Then, they crapped on his memory because he must have not been believing big enough.

Edited by waysider

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

That religious $hit is crazy-mean-stupid! :CUSSING:     :realmad:     :mad2:

When we were in-residence at Rome City, our son developed a very painful ear infection. So we took him to Third Aid…( Third Aid! Yes they called it Third Aid!  But right now  I’m not going to parse that pontificating nonsense…TWI liked to make mincemeat out of normal language and logic and defer to wierwille’s coo-coo ideology)

The lady who worked at Third Aid was an a$$hole to begin with…and you know that old saying “cream rises to the top” meaning a “good” a$$hole in TWI cannot go unnoticed for long…further meaning   more often than not they’re viewed as “having way corps potential” ….so anyway this Third Aid lady is telling us to put a clove of garlic in his ear. We told her we wanted to take him to a real doctor knowing the doc would probably better diagnose and more than likely prescribe effective treatment.  Third Aid lady says something to the effect of “well, if you want to go somewhere where they’re going to put poisons in your child, go ahead.”

Let me be clear on this – we  WERE   ALLOWED    to go off-campus – so we then took our son to a real doctor in Wolcottville – but the policies and procedures of the Rome City campus dictated we had to go through Third Aid   first…and I’m sure the Third Aid lady enjoyed flexing her demigod-given authority.

How awful for young Elizabeth…her death was preventable…that story stirs up memories of the manipulative and denigrating bull$hit at a corps campus…cult-dogma puts even families in conflict. “When it comes to cult-dogma, I have no friends…or family”.

Sorry for prying, but if you'd indulge me for a moment....

...When you went to the doctor, what was the treatment?  Was it an antibiotic administered orally?  Was it ear drops of some kind?  Both? Something else?

I'm just curious what a REAL doctor prescribed, and whether or not it worked (from the context, it seemed to have worked, but you didn't say so outright.)

I'm not against the idea of trying some herbal remedies and so on for MINOR problems, although I'm certainly not familiar with most of them.  HOWEVER, when it gets to significant PAIN, that's when you head to the doctor and get medical treatment. A "VERY PAINFUL EAR INFECTION" will not respond MUCH to some herbal treatments.  Skipping a doctor to treat a "VERY PAINFUL EAR INFECTION" with "a clove of garlic in his ear" sounds a lot more like voodoo than any treatment (just put the tail of the lizard in his ear, recite this chant, then apply the sacred oil to his chest.  Repeat this every hour.)    

For those who don't know, the idea behind the term "third aid" was that FIRST you pray, and SECOND you ask someone else to pray, and THIRD you seek medical treatment.  To have gone through those steps and still not get past an herbal treatment is silly. That could have been done during step one.   Locally, when someone explained the concept "third aid" to me, he also said that he and his wife didn't wait between steps.  If she had a headache, she'd pray for the aspirin while taking it. I'd do so as well, and thank God for smart chemists who designed the medications.

People like the ones in the article above would, no doubt, criticize me for my pragmatic position.  They'd insist I had to FORGO all medical treatments and rely completely on divine healing.   Yeah, whatever.  I'm not taking criticisms like that from anyone who isn't getting results like they're claiming.  If they normally are getting divine healing for serious injuries, serious illnesses, and instant recoveries upon getting to "amen", then, yes, I'll take the criticism.  I'll also take notes because I want to know what you're doing right so I can get similar results.  Until then, I'll pray while following sensible medical practices.  I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting.

It appears these culties STOPPED this girl taking prescribed meds. 

Not even TWI was quite that mad.  I don't think they required people to stop taking needed meds or to stop using medical devices.  After all, VPW never gave up using his glass eye.

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

Not even TWI was quite that mad.  I don't think they required people to stop taking needed meds or to stop using medical devices.

And yet, this was a real thing in the earlier days of the ministry.

There was a believer in the early 1970s who was advised to stop his medication for a chronic illness. I don't recall the specific malady. Long story short, he died. It didn't take long for Wierwille to take to the stage at R.O.A. to advise people to keep taking their meds while they continued to believe for healing. He was aware enough to realize he needed to cover his butt legally.

People were looked down upon for seeking conventional medical treatment because it supposedly exposed their lack of believing. I don't know of anyone who was flat out denied or forbidden from seeking medical treatment, but the group pressure was overwhelmingly extreme. It applied, as well, to folks who had illnesses of the mental variety. In those instances, though, they were also portrayed as harboring devil spirits.

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

...When you went to the doctor, what was the treatment?  Was it an antibiotic administered orally?  Was it ear drops of some kind?  Both? Something else?

I'm just curious what a REAL doctor prescribed, and whether or not it worked (from the context, it seemed to have worked, but you didn't say so outright.)

I'm not against the idea of trying some herbal remedies and so on for MINOR problems, although I'm certainly not familiar with most of them.  HOWEVER, when it gets to significant PAIN, that's when you head to the doctor and get medical treatment. A "VERY PAINFUL EAR INFECTION" will not respond MUCH to some herbal treatments.  Skipping a doctor to treat a "VERY PAINFUL EAR INFECTION" with "a clove of garlic in his ear" sounds a lot more like voodoo than any treatment (just put the tail of the lizard in his ear, recite this chant, then apply the sacred oil to his chest.  Repeat this every hour.)    

For those who don't know, the idea behind the term "third aid" was that FIRST you pray, and SECOND you ask someone else to pray, and THIRD you seek medical treatment.  To have gone through those steps and still not get past an herbal treatment is silly. That could have been done during step one.   Locally, when someone explained the concept "third aid" to me, he also said that he and his wife didn't wait between steps.  If she had a headache, she'd pray for the aspirin while taking it. I'd do so as well, and thank God for smart chemists who designed the medications.

People like the ones in the article above would, no doubt, criticize me for my pragmatic position.  They'd insist I had to FORGO all medical treatments and rely completely on divine healing.   Yeah, whatever.  I'm not taking criticisms like that from anyone who isn't getting results like they're claiming.  If they normally are getting divine healing for serious injuries, serious illnesses, and instant recoveries upon getting to "amen", then, yes, I'll take the criticism.  I'll also take notes because I want to know what you're doing right so I can get similar results.  Until then, I'll pray while following sensible medical practices.  I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting.

Doc prescribed just oral antibiotic…and that worked just fine…and two more points I should add. 

One, our son was NOT a sickly child. He rarely got sick and whenever he did get sick, like some mild fever from cold or flu – he’d tough it out like a real trooper the way very active kids do – play till you drop. He was never a typical rest in bed and drink plenty of fluids kind of patient. :rolleyes:

And two, I’ve never been opposed to natural or home remedies – I’ve mentioned before on Grease Spot Café the wonders of garlic for my respiratory issues. I didn’t want to explain all that in my post – but thanks for asking…and thanks for elucidating 1st, 2nd, and 3rd aid…I might have done that if I could have remembered the order of priorities…I got the 1st right – go to God in prayer…but after you explained the others – I think Rome City should have called their thing Second Aid – since they passed the buck on medical treatment…that’s just my opinion I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 10:10 AM, waysider said:

HERE

Another former member named David, 19, said 'The Saints' felt they were the highest form of Christianity.

'They believed they were the only true Christians because they could speak in tongues,' he said.

Could not

1 hour ago, Stayed Too Long said:

Not only do some religious people refuse medical treatment, but also  purists of herbal treatments do too. That is partially why Steve Jobs died.

Here

It certainly hastened his passing. 

368550718.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 7:02 PM, T-Bone said:

What is/was third aid?

Edited by Stayed Too Long

2 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

What is/was third aid?

On 7/6/2022 at 1:04 AM, WordWolf said:

On 7/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, T-Bone said:

Doc prescribed just oral antibiotic…and that worked just fine…and two more points I should add. 

One, our son was NOT a sickly child. He rarely got sick and whenever he did get sick, like some mild fever from cold or flu – he’d tough it out like a real trooper the way very active kids do – play till you drop. He was never a typical rest in bed and drink plenty of fluids kind of patient. :rolleyes:

And two, I’ve never been opposed to natural or home remedies – I’ve mentioned before on Grease Spot Café the wonders of garlic for my respiratory issues. I didn’t want to explain all that in my post – but thanks for asking…and thanks for elucidating 1st, 2nd, and 3rd aid…I might have done that if I could have remembered the order of priorities…I got the 1st right – go to God in prayer…but after you explained the others – I think Rome City should have called their thing Second Aid – since they passed the buck on medical treatment…that’s just my opinion I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

I thought WordWolf gave a good definition…and to reiterate what I said – third aid is how they referred to it at the Rome City campus…equivalent perhaps to when I was in high school and the teacher said, “if you’re sick, go see the school nurse.

It may have been an unintended consequence, but I think labeling it “third aid” had the subtle effect of guilt tripping me into feeling I’m a lousy believer and I had to settle for third best.

First aid: praying to God about it

Second aid: praying with another believer about it

Third aid: getting what most of us call "first aid" ie medical attention

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As a long time type 1 diabetic, I find the article absolutely horrifying, repulsive, tragic, and enraging. Has it ever occurred to these buzzards that God may have inspired the scientists who did the research to develop insulin? I wish I could feed them to the crocodiles one bite at a time. Those sons of bytches! May God have mercy on them. I could not!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Watered Garden said:

As a long time type 1 diabetic, I find the article absolutely horrifying, repulsive, tragic, and enraging. Has it ever occurred to these buzzards that God may have inspired the scientists who did the research to develop insulin? I wish I could feed them to the crocodiles one bite at a time. Those sons of bytches! May God have mercy on them. I could not!

It did NOT occur to those buzzards.

Please remember that there are people who think that religious conviction and scientific knowledge are antithetical to each other, and will scorn whichever they have not chosen.  So, there's religious people who shun basic science, and science believers who shun religious belief in conventional forms (even if their own beliefs include leaps of faith while condemning others for making leaps of faith.)      People like that nowadays can make Christians look bad, unintelligent, and anti-intellectual.   

Too bad they don't know enough history of science to know how many Christians were out there, inventing science that we now take for granted.   Sir Isaac Newton wrote and, in effect, invented Calculus and wrote on gravity and many other things, and wrote considerably on the Bible as well.    Gregor Mendel can be considered "the father of genetics"- he performed experiments in a monastery because he was a monk.   It's only the last 2 centuries that this antagonism between Christianity and science has been able to find any ground- on either side of the divide.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:59 AM, waysider said:

And yet, this was a real thing in the earlier days of the ministry.

There was a believer in the early 1970s who was advised to stop his medication for a chronic illness. I don't recall the specific malady. Long story short, he died. It didn't take long for Wierwille to take to the stage at R.O.A. to advise people to keep taking their meds while they continued to believe for healing. He was aware enough to realize he needed to cover his butt legally.

People were looked down upon for seeking conventional medical treatment because it supposedly exposed their lack of believing. I don't know of anyone who was flat out denied or forbidden from seeking medical treatment, but the group pressure was overwhelmingly extreme. It applied, as well, to folks who had illnesses of the mental variety. In those instances, though, they were also portrayed as harboring devil spirits.

I knew the guy vaguely he lived in Manhattan his first name began with a "V".    It was shocking to hear about this death, such a young guy, and many of us had no idea he was sick.    I hope he is rewarded in eternity for having faith that God would heal him, although that didn't work in that instance.   But as bad as that was, it can't be compared to parents who withhold insulin from their kid.           

Edited by oldiesman
typo
  • Like 1