GreaseSpot Cafe

Bread Machine

Stayed Too Long

I just ordered a bread machine that has 19 different baking options; from soft bread, sourdough bread, to jams, and yogurt. 
Do any of you experiment with recipes or follow the tried and tested ones?

I just got tired of mixing ingredients, waiting for dough to rise, etc, etc. Hopefully the bread machine loaves are as delicious as the traditional ones.

Mrs Wolf makes quickbreads when it suits her- oatbread, cornbread, etc.     She also made pizzas from scratch during the covid crisis, when all the local pizzerias were closed. Her firat one pretty much was on matzah bread, but later ones resembled conventional pizzas, and none of her breads use yeasts nor wait for anything to rise (thus the term "quick" bread.)

46 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Mrs Wolf makes quickbreads when it suits her- oatbread, cornbread, etc.     She also made pizzas from scratch during the covid crisis, when all the local pizzerias were closed. Her firat one pretty much was on matzah bread, but later ones resembled conventional pizzas, and none of her breads use yeasts nor wait for anything to rise (thus the term "quick" bread.)

I reread your post on the sourdough thread and you said Mrs Wolf used baking powder and baking soda to get the dough to rise. I will give it a try with my sourdough bread. I do not like to add yeast to a recipe using sourdough starter because it nullifies the sour taste.

How much baking powder and baking soda does she add to a 1 pound loaf of bread?

Edited by Stayed Too Long

I have a breadmaker, and TBH I use maybe two programs of 12.  Allegedly it will make jam.  Not sure I would want it to do that.

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

I have a breadmaker, and TBH I use maybe two programs of 12.  Allegedly it will make jam.  Not sure I would want it to do that.

The one I ordered also will make jam, and yogurt too. I didn’t realize it when ordering, but the machine is “used, like new.” Probably why it was less than half price of a new unit. Oh well, it still has all the warranties attached to it. I purchased my KitchenAid mixer “used, like new,” and it has served me well for over 10 years.  
I jusr found a sourdough recipe that added baking soda to the mix so it will hopefully rise better. The starter is brewing now, so should have a loaf made later this evening. Can’t wait to cut into it.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:27 PM, Stayed Too Long said:

I reread your post on the sourdough thread and you said Mrs Wolf used baking powder and baking soda to get the dough to rise. I will give it a try with my sourdough bread. I do not like to add yeast to a recipe using sourdough starter because it nullifies the sour taste.

How much baking powder and baking soda does she add to a 1 pound loaf of bread?

Actually, I said she uses self-rising flour- which contains baking powder and baking soda in it already.

Use self-rising flour.

That's the same as method 3, since it's flour that has the baking powder and baking soda already added.    Mrs Wolf prefers using that to using all-purpose flour in general.  When she makes oatbread or cornbread, she adds some self-rising flour to the mix to get it to rise somewhat.

Mrs Wolf uses self-rising flour instead for pancakes, with the same results.  :)  I'll pass along your thanks.

Actually, she uses self-rising flour, which has both mixed in already.

Whatever the percentages normally are for self-rising flour, that's the percentage she uses. 

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Do any of you make a whole wheat or multi-grain bread?

I don't, but I should. The modern classic no-knead bread recipe from Mark Bittman simply calls for a 50% whole wheat flour substitution when making whole wheat bread. https://markbittman.com/recipes-1/no-knead-bread

Whats your question? What are you trying to do?

17 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Whats your question? What are you trying to do?

Not to sound rude or anything, but I think you read my question.

I'm gathering information, as I am wont to do.

For what, you may ask?

I buy (and consume) Dave's Killer Bread 22 Grains and Seeds variety. 

At some point, I may explore the possibility of making a knock off of that bread at home, if I can figure out how to make it less expensively than I have to pay to buy it now. When I first started using that brand/variety, I was consistently paying $4 or less per 27 oz loaf. Now, it's at least $7.50.

43 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Not to sound rude or anything, but I think you read my question.

I'm gathering information, as I am wont to do.

For what, you may ask?

I buy (and consume) Dave's Killer Bread 22 Grains and Seeds variety. 

At some point, I may explore the possibility of making a knock off of that bread at home, if I can figure out how to make it less expensively than I have to pay to buy it now. When I first started using that brand/variety, I was consistently paying $4 or less per 27 oz loaf. Now, it's at least $7.50.

Ok. You can make it cheaper than you can buy it. Check out Bittman's method. Also, serious eats has lots of bread recipes https://www.seriouseats.com/search?q=Bread&offset=0 They are very good about explaining the how and why of technique and methodology.

Do you still live in or near Mesa? Have you been to Proof?  It's a bakery I've followed since they had a guerrilla operation in their garage. https://proofbread.com  The real deal. 100% sourdough starter and locally milled grain for all their breads and pastry. 

3 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Ok. You can make it cheaper than you can buy it. Check out Bittman's method. Also, serious eats has lots of bread recipes https://www.seriouseats.com/search?q=Bread&offset=0 They are very good about explaining the how and why of technique and methodology.

Do you still live in or near Mesa? Have you been to Proof?  It's a bakery I've followed since they had a guerrilla operation in their garage. https://proofbread.com  The real deal. 100% sourdough starter and locally milled grain for all their breads and pastry. 

I live near Mesa. I've heard of (good things) Proof bakery. :love3:

3 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

That's some seriously great info. Thanks very much. 

Btw, I don't use my oven when it's hot outside (May-ish till sometime in October).  Eventually, I'll probably buy a bread machine and do some extended reading on Bittman's site and seriouseats.com 

Bittman had a column for NYT years ago called The Minimalist. If you have an online subscription, you can access all his archived articles. (Much of it is on his website.) He also published several books you might be able to find at the library. AND he had a cooking show called The Minimalist - you might be able to find some episodes on YouTube. He was and still is a serious influence on how I cook and eat.

Serious Eats can get pretty geeky with the science of cooking, which I like. Not just how (H-O-W), but why (W-H-Y).

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

That's some seriously great info. Thanks very much. 

Btw, I don't use my oven when it's hot outside (May-ish till sometime in October).  Eventually, I'll probably buy a bread machine and do some extended reading on Bittman's site and seriouseats.com 

Naturally, after providing those links, this video popped up in my YouTube feed, because Google is Big Brother. Had to share.

Kenji Lopez-Alt is a professional chef, cookbook and children's book author, NYT columnist and contributor to Serious Eats. Above all, he's an excellent teacher, unpretentious and down to earth. When it cools down in a few months, you might want to try the no-knead bread. Or not. This video might inspire you.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, Rocky said:

Do any of you make a whole wheat or multi-grain bread?

I make a whole wheat, sometimes a seedy, loaf sometimes.  My basic recipe calls for 1 or 2 cups white and 3 or 2 cups wholemeal/whole wheat (4 cups altogether) but I usually make mine 1 white and 3 wholemeal/whole wheat/other.  Full "brown" flour makes a rather denser loaf, a bit smaller.  Experiment till you find a texture that you like.

• Upvote 1

Why would anyone want to mask the flavour?  :doh: The flavour and tastiness are some of the reasons that people make their own bread!