GreaseSpot Cafe

The overt, covert, pervert, subvert, invert, and mostly inert operations of TWI

T-Bone

1 hour ago, annio said:

Thank you T-bone. Apparently I still need to hear these excellent insights to keep gaining sight, detaching, and healing; not easy. Humor does help, as in gallows humor and your great pix and captions earlier!!! You have a gift!!  And so good about cult members susceptibilities, the trust-gaining processes, and vpw's strategies.  Again thank you! 

You’re welcome, Annio – and thanks for the feedback.

Subvert

One of the most demoralizing experiences of my life was going through way corps training…there was the public shaming, frequent berating, lots of teachings and one-on-one reproof-themed counseling, one-on-one force-feeding of PFAL-ideology to squelch my creative writing which was done while in front of other band members...there was emotional abuse, there was manipulative tactics to reenforce groupthink...The myriad of ways they shoved down my throat acceptance of their image of the ideal believer - to the destruction of my true self.  :realmad: 

In way corps training - intellectual and emotional beatings were routine! :mad2:

Many years after I left TWI, while on vacation at Cannon Beach I spotted a T-shirt in a “tourist trap” window – it was black, and had the skull and crossbones icon of pirates and these words in white:

The beatings will continue until morale improves

61eKId2JTiL.-BZ1000-.the-beatings-will-c

This spoke to me. I had to have it! The T-Shirt came in handy – I wore it for Pirate Night on a Disney Cruise with my family…and just for the record my favorite Disney character is Goofy – not to brag but our family got a picture with Goofy on Disney’s Castaway Key Island.:dance:

The meaning of “the beatings will continue until morale improves” is that until people (often soldiers) start to fall in line and show confidence in their ranks, they will not be given freedom or liberty. The beatings are there to punish them until they work as a team. The saying is most commonly seen in a military sense.

( *see notes below for more on origin)

The military sense mentioned in the above quote is spot on with Way Corps training!

I know it’s wishful thinking…I mean a sneaky harmful and controlling cult like The Way International is not going to be upfront about their subversive tactics – but it would have been nice if they had a sign on the main entrance door to the Rome City campus:

51OQ93-gSCL._SY300_QL70_.jpg&ehk=z61JQgN

* note: for other links about its origin - and for extra credit   :rolleyes: Grease Spotters are encouraged to check out these hyperlinks below …further note - extra credit will be manifested in the form of upvotes for your post…just relax and think goofy thoughts…now…you move your fingers, your eyeballs, your coffee mug and you’ll be posting the wonderful works of goofy sarcasm as a countermeasure to TWI’s subversive operations:

Huffpost Blog: The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

English Stack Exchange: origin of beatings will continue

Quora: what’s the origin of the saying beatings will continue?

Ask Meta filter: Whence the beatings?

Edited by T-Bone
The postings will continue until the Internet dies

On 7/30/2022 at 10:31 AM, T-Bone said:

In some sense the overt and covert operations of TWI were entwined. Indoctrination is not an overnight process. Usually, a person does not knowingly join a harmful and controlling cult. The road in may best be described as a subliminal acclimatizing process – where a newcomer finds something - or someone attractive in the group and so they make themselves mentally adjust to the prevailing ideas, attitudes, and behavior to fit in.

I can definitely relate to the slow indoctrination TWI put me through.

As a completely broken man, I was sitting at a lunch counter one afternoon and a WOWII entered the restaurant and sat on the stool next to me. He started up a cordial conversation discussing the university I was attending. Soon the subject turned to the bible about a man bring saved by grace and not of works. This was something that rocked my world for the better. I was living under such condemnation being taught by the RC, and believed there was no way I was not going to hell when I died. It had permeated my entire being and all my thoughts and movements. To hear I had eternal life and absolutely nothing could take it away, lifted my spirits like nothing ever had in the past. I was mentally free at last.

As time progressed, and I began to see cracks in how TWI conducted itself, I refused to believe it because they had saved my life.  I did not want to acknowledge this life saving group was a fraud. 
As an example, our limb guy had met B.G. Leonard, who was reaching his class on the holy spirit in our state. We were insructed by our limb leader to takes Leonard’s class, and what an eye opener it was for all of us. We all knew by heart the definitions of the gifts of the holy spirit, because of taking PFAL. 
It became crystal clear Wierwille had plagiarized Leonard’s class, but in my mind I refused to believe it, because it would destroy the ministry that had taken be from almost death to life. I refused to believe all the other crap that came to life after the fog years, also. 
It took about 20 more years for me to finally admit to myself TWI and VPW were a fraud.

I had been so indoctrinated, without my knowledge, that TWI had the only truth from God’s word, and any other group was of the devil. Thankfully, they actually M&A me, so I had to leave. 

On 7/30/2022 at 10:31 AM, T-Bone said:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, annio said:

... still need to hear these excellent insights to keep gaining sight, detaching, and healing; not easy. Humor does help, as in gallows humor and your great pix and captions earlier!!! You have a gift!!  And so good about cult members susceptibilities, the trust-gaining processes, and vpw's strategies.  Again thank you! 

Quite a bit also depends on your own background and how supportive that is.  TWI will adjust its strategies to deal with individuals' insecurities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stayed Too Long said:

I can definitely relate to the slow indoctrination TWI put me through.

As a completely broken man, I was sitting at a lunch counter one afternoon and a WOWII entered the restaurant and sat on the stool next to me. He started up a cordial conversation discussing the university I was attending. Soon the subject turned to the bible about a man bring saved by grace and not of works. This was something that rocked my world for the better. I was living under such condemnation being taught by the RC, and believed there was no way I was not going to hell when I died. It had permeated my entire being and all my thoughts and movements. To hear I had eternal life and absolutely nothing could take it away, lifted my spirits like nothing ever had in the past. I was mentally free at last.

As time progressed, and I began to see cracks in how TWI conducted itself, I refused to believe it because they had saved my life.  I did not want to acknowledge this life saving group was a fraud. 
As an example, our limb guy had met B.G. Leonard, who was reaching his class on the holy spirit in our state. We were insructed by our limb leader to takes Leonard’s class, and what an eye opener it was for all of us. We all knew by heart the definitions of the gifts of the holy spirit, because of taking PFAL. 
It became crystal clear Wierwille had plagiarized Leonard’s class, but in my mind I refused to believe it, because it would destroy the ministry that had taken be from almost death to life. I refused to believe all the other crap that came to life after the fog years, also. 
It took about 20 more years for me to finally admit to myself TWI and VPW were a fraud.

I had been so indoctrinated, without my knowledge, that TWI had the only truth from God’s word, and any other group was of the devil. Thankfully, they actually M&A me, so I had to leave. 

Wow STL, that’s the first I’ve heard of someone other than wierwille sitting through BG Leonard’s class. I imagine that would be an eye-opening experience. I tell you how indoctrinated I was – for my 12 years of involvement it never occurred to me wierwille had plagiarized Bullinger’s work…and I had bought Bullinger’s How to Enjoy the Bible in TWI’s bookstore right after I took PFAL – and it was a fav of mine. Not like Bullinger was 100% right on everything – but at the time, comparing PFAL with How to Enjoy the Bible - my pea-brain saw it as two very intelligent people coming up with the same ideas…Guess it was a Kool-Aid inducement of great minds think alike.

I’m glad you left! thanks for sharing such a revealing experience – and as always, I appreciate your thoughtful input.

• 3 weeks later...

How to Subvert and Pervert “the self” part 1

Think about TWI’s operations that subverted our power of self-determination and perverted what it meant to be a Christian – and what it meant to be you. The processes varied some – depending on the classes, programs, day-to-day recurring activities whether on staff, on a field assignment - even down to the simple responsibilities of a seasoned PFAL grad taking on the role of Twig coordinator.

I think in most operations there was a virulent strain of consequences to one’s true self. In a tightly controlled group setting – such as yearlong or longer programs of The Way International – one might describe them as a mass-production process of self-destruction. That’s got the makings of a plot for a sci-fi or thriller movie.

Sci-fi and thriller genres are some of my favorite films. Relating to this thread there’s a few films that always come to mind because they have some themes about reshaping one’s identity.

The Stepford Wives (1975)

7bbe82dd63b1bbe1c8596310fec337ae.jpg

The Stepford Wives (2004)

740full-the-stepford-wives-(2004)-poster

The original film version was released in 1975. It's an enticing premise and has some thought-provoking themes some of which are fear of feminism  (for brevity’s sake, feminism gets into a whole a range of socio-political movements and ideologies that aim to define and establish the political, economic, personal, and social equality of the sexes)  and protecting the power of the patriarchy.   ( see GradeSaver com: The Stepford Wives themes  ) . It was more of a sci-fi horror story. The 2004 remake retells the story as more of a dark comedy. I like them both – and if you have a chance to catch them both as a rental or on a streaming platform, you might find some Grease-Spot-turn-the-tables-on-cult-leaders poetic justice if you think of the 1975 film as before Grease Spot / Waydale existence and the 2004 version as some justice served  after   Grease Spot / Waydale came online.

I think there was a double whammy to the sexes in wierwille’s ideology. I knew women were generally viewed as more or less equals when it came to ordination and leadership roles. But there was still wierwille’s dogmatic fundamentalism that held to the patriarchy cultures represented in the Bible – and that was further twisted by his misogynistic attitude. I realize that now, thinking of all the times I’ve seen him while I was in-residence in casual settings and teaching us about counseling believers. If you think wierwille’s Christian Family & Sex class was matter-of-factly salacious – you ain’t seen nothing till you’ve seen him around the women in the way corps. Think Hugh Hefner touting a phony degree at a thinly disguised Playboy Mansion – only the unsuspecting women think it’s a Bible college…Reflecting on wierwille’s comments about women in books, magazines, and teachings to the general TWI-public it all seemed to serve as public appeasement…or more like a ruse…to throw anyone off the scent of a sexual predator. I got into that in an earlier post  - here  -where I said:

To understand how TWI-followers get to the point of being unaware of wierwille’s licentious and malicious nature is to understand how a sexual predator can be hidden in plain sight. It is by masking his nature in the guise of a man of God, a teacher of the Bible. It all started with the PFAL class – which had vague and misleading directives like “as long as you follow the two great commandments you can do as you full well please” and the dubious justification of David’s adulterous affair with Bathsheba saying “technically all the women of the kingdom belonged to the king”.

when reading on GSC about wierwille, LCM and others sexually abusing women, I’m often hit with a poignant reminder that cult-leaders figured out a way – through   psychological   manipulation   and  the  abuse  of  power - to approximate the 1975 Stepford Wives premise – create a sexually attractive and subservient woman who wants nothing but to please the man.  

Here’s the breakdown of the double whammy to the sexes in wierwille’s ideology. The ultra-authoritarian nature of TWI fostered a submissive attitude overall. The ideal believer is described as one who is compliant to the will of God. What is the will of God? Any PFAL grad will tell you the Word of God is the will of God. Where can one find the Word of God? Any devoted TWI-follower will tell you that The Way International has more of the rightly divided Word than any other group around.

Now, the TWI-mindset is somewhat “adjustable” for men or women – of course other variables like upbringing, past experiences, psychological makeup and such also come into play - but to some degree there is a personality-changing effect in how the person with the TWI-mindset responds to a situation or interacts with others in TWI. Think about how much wierwille, LCM and others would dismiss - with GREAT disdain - logic (often labeled “worldly logic”) , emotions, and the five senses, and instead frequently encourage obedience, meekness, and subservience. While I was in TWI it never occurred to me those attributes of human nature / behavior could be subverted and perverted to approximate the robot-like behavior of The Stepford Wives.

That’s all for now, folks…:wave:

in part 2 I’ve got another more recent movie series that I think is a plausible explanation of how TWI programs can subvert and pervert “the self”.

Edited by T-Bone
Something strange is happening in the editor’s room…typos are being replaced with exact replicas of other typos
  • Upvote 1

Ok, StayedTooLong posted this Aug 18, 2022 on this thread. However, he posted it inside someone else's quote, so you had to compare the original post to see that STL had added it.  I think that was all accidental- especially when it was important.

Here's what he posted:

================================

"I can definitely relate to the slow indoctrination TWI put me through.

I had been so indoctrinated, without my knowledge, that TWI had the only truth from God’s word, and any other group was of the devil. Thankfully, they actually M&A me, so I had to leave. "

======================

Here's what T-Bone replied the same day. (He'd written the original post and knew what part was added.)

"Wow STL, that’s the first I’ve heard of someone other than wierwille sitting through BG Leonard’s class. I imagine that would be an eye-opening experience. I tell you how indoctrinated I was – for my 12 years of involvement it never occurred to me wierwille had plagiarized Bullinger’s work…and I had bought Bullinger’s How to Enjoy the Bible in TWI’s bookstore right after I took PFAL – and it was a fav of mine. Not like Bullinger was 100% right on everything – but at the time, comparing PFAL with How to Enjoy the Bible - my pea-brain saw it as two very intelligent people coming up with the same ideas…Guess it was a Kool-Aid inducement of great minds think alike.

I’m glad you left! thanks for sharing such a revealing experience – and as always, I appreciate your thoughtful input.

=============================================

Now that I saw all that, I can respond.

[Actually, attending Leonard's class while in twi or even ex-twi is rare, but this wasn't the first post on the subject.

TheEvan posted on it Jan 17, 2005, 12:04pm.]

"...surely you are familiar with the photos of Wierwille's first two 'PFAL' classes?

Well, most everybody was, as they were published often enough. Did you ever

see the rest of them? Like the ones picturing the water baptisms? I did.

But I didn't see them in Da Way.

I saw them in some old newsletters displayed at BG Leonard's 90th

birthday party, which we hosted for him. I was just casually leafing through some old

ones and you can imagine the jolt I got when my eyes landed on a familiar picture.

It was the old "1st Piffle Class" photo I'd seen so many times.

As you know, Wierwille had recently taken Leonard's class.

He returned to O-hiya to teach Leonard's class with Leonard's blessing.

The accompanying article was about this Rev. Wierwille teaching CTC's

Gifts of the Spirit course to members of his congregation in O-hiya.

Turns out wierwille lied to the man, co-opted the man's work as his own.

FAMILIAR PATTERN!  "

[I had responded.

Here's what that means in plainer English.

vpw takes Leonard's class.

vpw REtakes Leonard's class.

vpw then goes off for a few months by himself.

vpw tells Leonard

"I'd like to run your CTC's Gifts of the Spirit course to my local congregation."

Leonard concludes that this would bless that single congregation,

and approves this, giving his blessing for this one Gifts of the Spirit class.

vpw then prepares to run "his" class-using Leonard's material but

slapping his name on it,

and calling it "Power For Abundant Living" rather than "Gifts of the Spirit".

While vpw tells the new students it is HIS class,

he tells Leonard he is running LEONARD's class,

and even provides Leonard with a copy of the class photos for

Leonard's scrapbook.

Leonard, trusting other Christians as he does,

believes vpw and does not realize vpw is lying through his teeth

until later,

after vpw has run several of "his" classes."]

13 hours ago, Rocky said:

Btw, I'm just starting to read  How Minds Change by David McRaney. Some GSC netizens might be interested in it too.

Thanks for the recommendation, Rocky

I read another book on why people fall into conspiracy theory rabbit hole  Escaping the Rabbit Hole by Mick West    and West also runs   Metabunk website   - and some members mentioned they’re currently reading a couple of McRaney’s books on a forum…After reading this blurb on Amazon about his book I’m definitely checking it out:

When self-delusion expert and psychology nerd David McRaney began a book about how to change someone’s mind in one conversation, he never expected to change his own. But then a diehard 9/11 Truther’s conversion blew up his theories—inspiring him to ask not just how to persuade, but why we believe, from the eye of the beholder. Delving into the latest research of psychologists and neuroscientists, HOW MINDS CHANGE explores the limits of reasoning, the power of groupthink, and the effects of deep canvassing. Told with McRaney’s trademark sense of humor, compassion, and scientific curiosity, it’s an eye-opening journey among cult members, conspiracy theorists, and political activists, from Westboro Baptist Church picketers to LGBTQ campaigners in California—that ultimately challenges us to question our own motives and beliefs. In an age of dangerous conspiratorial thinking, can we rise to the occasion with empathy?

An expansive, big-hearted journalistic narrative, HOW MINDS CHANGE reaches surprising and thought-provoking conclusions, to demonstrate the rare but transformative circumstances under which minds can change.    From:      Amazon book description of "How Minds Change"

~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks again Rocky – you’ve always got some good food for thought!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, WordWolf said:

(SNIP)

=============================================

Now that I saw all that, I can respond.

[Actually, attending Leonard's class while in twi or even ex-twi is rare, but this wasn't the first post on the subject.

TheEvan posted on it Jan 17, 2005, 12:04pm.]

"...surely you are familiar with the photos of Wierwille's first two 'PFAL' classes?

Well, most everybody was, as they were published often enough. Did you ever

see the rest of them? Like the ones picturing the water baptisms? I did.

But I didn't see them in Da Way.

I saw them in some old newsletters displayed at BG Leonard's 90th

birthday party, which we hosted for him. I was just casually leafing through some old

ones and you can imagine the jolt I got when my eyes landed on a familiar picture.

It was the old "1st Piffle Class" photo I'd seen so many times.

As you know, Wierwille had recently taken Leonard's class.

He returned to O-hiya to teach Leonard's class with Leonard's blessing.

The accompanying article was about this Rev. Wierwille teaching CTC's

Gifts of the Spirit course to members of his congregation in O-hiya.

Turns out wierwille lied to the man, co-opted the man's work as his own.

FAMILIAR PATTERN!  "

[I had responded.

Here's what that means in plainer English.

vpw takes Leonard's class.

vpw REtakes Leonard's class.

vpw then goes off for a few months by himself.

vpw tells Leonard

"I'd like to run your CTC's Gifts of the Spirit course to my local congregation."

Leonard concludes that this would bless that single congregation,

and approves this, giving his blessing for this one Gifts of the Spirit class.

vpw then prepares to run "his" class-using Leonard's material but

slapping his name on it,

and calling it "Power For Abundant Living" rather than "Gifts of the Spirit".

While vpw tells the new students it is HIS class,

he tells Leonard he is running LEONARD's class,

and even provides Leonard with a copy of the class photos for

Leonard's scrapbook.

Leonard, trusting other Christians as he does,

believes vpw and does not realize vpw is lying through his teeth

until later,

after vpw has run several of "his" classes."]

16 hours ago, WordWolf said:

BTW, TheEvan's post was on the thread "Craig and VP's relationship?" and was about 1/2way down the 3rd page.

Craig and VP's relationship? - Page 3 - About The Way - GreaseSpot Cafe

Thanks for the Evan post, WordWolf !

This thread has gotten into some overt and covert operations of TWI. In the spirit of  spydom  :rolleyes:   we probably should require readers have a higher security clearance to read the Evan “dossier” – because it gets into the ultra-clandestine operations of a “professional” plagiarist and pathological liar – wierwille the human Xerox.

Part 2 of Subvert and Pervert “the self”: how do you recover?

note this post is NOT a “how to recover” but simply asks “how do YOU go about doing that?” Grease Spotters, feel free to share your thoughts and what has helped you. I’ll remind you again at the end of this post.

As promised, I’ve got another movie that goes along the same lines of subverting and perverting the self.

71DhE2gBhdL._AC_SL1275_.jpg

In my opinion The Bourne Identity is a great action movie with fight scenes and car chases that exist in the amoral world of spy agencies and black ops. I use the word “amoral” because the story seems less concerned with an agenda being right or wrong and focuses more on everyone just doing their job. And that’s the rationale that drives this story forward. Jason Bourne becomes a target by his own agency because he failed at his job to assassinate an exiled African dictator. But Bourne doesn’t know that. As the story opens, he is adrift unconscious in the Mediterranean Sea and fishermen rescue him – noticing two gunshot wounds in his back. They tend to his wounds and find a laser projector embedded just under the skin in his hip. When he comes to, he has no memory of his identity, but he demonstrates advanced combat skills and fluency in several languages. The laser projector had cast the number of a safe deposit box in Zürich on the wall, and so he decides to go investigate – perhaps it holds the secret to who he is. All the thrilling fight scenes and chases along his journey to self-discovery are formidable obstacles to his quest.

On Quora, someone mentioned the underlying theme of movie is the forgotten identity of the protagonist (Bourne). Bourne's identity is unknown to him. Also, in the case of the antagonists – the assassins who try to kill him, their identities & motives are completely unknown to Bourne. Others know who Bourne is but he does not! This is the central theme of the story. Bourne is trying to find his own identity while also trying to figure out his adversaries’.     ( see  Quora: what are the themes of The Bourne Identity?   )

(If you’re a big fan of the Bourne series like I am, you also might enjoy checking out these links:

Course Hero: The Bourne Identity – themes

Wikipedia: the Bourne franchise

Offscreen: The Bourne Analysis

IGN com: The A-Z of The Bourne Movies    )

~ ~ ~ ~

Okay – where was I?...No, I didn’t forget the mission…hmmmm…Would you happen to be from Treadstone? Here’s why I ask…be advised the following info is on a NEED TO KNOW BASIS and if you’re following this thread, you need to know this :biglaugh:    …now here’s the top-secret-super-duper-PFAL party-pooper-classified-scoop-for-your-eyeballs-only: harmful and controlling cults. The following dossier allegorically links way corps training program to the fictitious Treadstone.   

Operation Treadstone…in the Jason Bourne series of novels and movies. It recruited only United States Service members to turn them into nearly superhuman assassins and was formed in direct response to the Congressional Act which banned the U.S. from partaking in any assassinations, as sometimes assassination is considered necessary to keep the United States safe. It used a behavior-modification program to break down the assassins' morality and make them effective nearly unstoppable living weapons. After the morality break down, presumably, the assassins received advanced training in all kinds of spy tradecraft. The last surviving member of Treadstone is Jason Bourne.     From:   Bourne Fandom Wiki: Operation Treadstone

The indoctrination methods of TWI’s programs are various ways to subvert and pervert “the self”. But it’s not like in the story of Jason Bourne – when after some physical trauma he literally could not remember who he was before Treadstone...and it seems to me TWI has it's own version of an amoral world - - you needn't worry about what's right or wrong - just do what you're told - that's  your   job.

ya gotta excuse me for going overboard on Bourne (overBourne :rolleyes: ) but all that cloak and dagger stuff lends itself so easily to understanding the sneaky underhanded tactics of harmful and controlling cults. :evilshades:

I think the intent of TWI’s programs is to get you to “forget” parts of your past - deliberately and selectively. Forget really means to stop thinking about it or talking about it. In way corps training I was often reminded that my past accomplishments, preferences, and any personal goals that didn’t involve the ministry’s agenda were not that important. There was often a big push to cut ties with the past - I remember several teachings that took verses to the extreme  - like    Philippians 3:13-14    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I got into some odd confabulation – to” rewrite” some memories…I would reinterpret incidents of my past as signposts pointing me to go in the way corps.

To unravel this tangled mess of TWI-indoctrination I draw upon the wisdom, experiences, and inspiration from other Grease Spotters and on things I read – such as in the articles below.  

In article 1 , from Very Well Mind website where Rodgers says the ideal self is the person you want to be – I think of how I bought into wierwille’s sales promotion of becoming the perfect believer under his ministry – through classes and programs that he created. I believe the Scriptures encourage us to have an accurate and honest view of ourselves. Not any of that phony hypocritical pontificating stuff that cult-leaders model for their fans. I had a huge problem with low self-esteem when I was in TWI because I never felt like I was achieving what was expected of me. They kept moving the goal posts. I believe a healthy self-esteem takes into account the good and the bad - we work on self-improvement where we can and accept what we cannot change. I'm a recovering a$$hole with pain-in-the-neck tendencies - and I strive to be less of an a$$hole to my wife and kids...sometimes I can be nice for up to three days if I really push myself. :rolleyes:

Per article 2 from a Psychology Today, I continue to work on developing those intrinsic qualities of the true self. Stuff that remained dormant or became atrophied during my TWI-years, because I was led to believe it was mostly my “old  man  nature - - and I always took that to mean what I was like before I took PFAL. I had some fuzzy notion that taking the PFAL class was one of the biggest life-changing moments thus far. How sad is that?

And in article 3 also from Psychology Today, there’s something I can attest to – that valuing the true self gives me a greater sense of having meaning in my life. I know it sounds simple – but there's something satisfying...fulfilling even -  being aware of the genuinely good things inside! Self-love has gotta be  okay, when the 2nd great commandment says to love your neighbor as   you   love   yourself

~ ~ ~ ~

1     The 3 components of self-concept

Self-concept is how we perceive our behaviors, abilities, and unique characteristics.1 For example, beliefs such as "I am a good friend" or "I am a kind person" are part of an overall self-concept.

Our self-perception is important because it affects our motivations, attitudes, and behaviors. It also affects how we feel about the person we think we are, including whether we are competent or if we have self-worth.2

Self-concept tends to be more malleable when we're younger and still going through the process of self-discovery and identity formation. As we age and learn who we are and what's important to us, these self-perceptions become much more detailed and organized…

…psychologist Carl Rogers said that self-concept is made up of three different parts:

Ideal self: The ideal self is the person you want to be. This person has the attributes or qualities you are either working toward or want to possess. It's who you envision yourself to be if you were exactly as you wanted.

Self-image: Self-image refers to how you see yourself at this moment in time. Attributes like physical characteristics, personality traits, and social roles all play a role in your self-image.

Self-esteem: How much you like, accept, and value yourself all contribute to your self-concept. Self-esteem can be affected by a number of factors—including how others see you, how you think you compare to others, and your role in society…

Excerpts from:    Very Well Mind com: The 3 components of self-concept

~ ~ ~ ~

2   Seven Qualities of the True Self - The essence of human being:

Human beings uniquely possess seven qualities that can guide them to a life filled with meaningful opportunities.

A person who does not nurture the "seven qualities of the true self" will end up functioning at a level far lower than their potential.

The seven qualities that can move human beings into their potential include spontaneity and love.

"For that man whom your outward form reveals is not yourself; the spirit is the true self, not that physical figure which can be pointed out by your finger."—Marcus Tullius Cicero

Our True Self is defined by seven intrinsic qualities. I initially identified these qualities during my study of Christian anthropology while in seminary. As I went on to study psychology and religion at Harvard, I found that these qualities are confirmed in the great religions of the world and in the modern scientific study of psychology as defining the unique nature of human being. These qualities are:

Spontaneity

Reasoning

Creativity

Free will

Spirituality

Discernment

Love

Human beings uniquely possess these qualities, and they are given to each of us. The true self is not reserved for those who have devoted their lives to becoming mystics. We are born with these resources which are available to all of us at any time.

These seven gifts guide us from within and define our unique nature. We may nurture these qualities or we may take them for granted; if we choose the former course, our life will be opened and filled with meaningful opportunities. If we choose the latter, we will remain wanting and helpless, functioning at a level far lower than our potential. Nevertheless, even if we fail to utilize them, these qualities lie dormant, for we never lose them. They exist within us, waiting for us to awaken them. Here's a look at each one…

Excerpts from:    Psychology Today: Seven Qualities of the True Self - The essence of human being

~ ~ ~ ~

3      The True Self: What does it mean to believe that there is a "true self" inside of everyone?

… there are times when you believe that a person’s actions reflect the situation they are in or their current mental state. But, you also have times when you think that a person’s actions are a reflection of their true self.

Psychologists have been interested in capturing the qualities that people think are part of someone’s true self and also in understanding how the idea of a true self affects people’s actions and their relationships with others. This research was summarized in a fascinating review by Nina Strohminger, Joshua Knobe, and George Newman in a paper in the July 2017 issue of Perspectives on Psychological Science.

Generally speaking, when people think about their true self or the true self of other people, what characteristics do they believe that it has?

An interesting facet of the true self is that it seems to be a belief that is similar across cultures. That is, aspects of the true self have been explored in studies using many different populations around the world, and the beliefs tend to be quite similar.

Two core beliefs are that the true self tends to be moral and good. So, when people make a change in their actions, they are more likely to be judged as doing something that reflects their true self when they change from doing something bad to something good than vice versa. This is why someone who stops abusing drugs or alcohol is often judged as allowing their true self to come through, while someone who starts abusing drugs or alcohol is judged as obscuring their true self.

These beliefs also tend to lead people to assume that someone can change for the positive over time, even if many of their past actions have been bad. That is, we are reluctant to decide that someone is truly evil and prefer to believe that their true self has a moral spark that might someday lead them toward better actions in the future.

An interesting facet of the true self is that our beliefs about our true self and other people’s true selves are similar. This belief differs from the way we often treat our motives versus those of people from a different group. Often, we assume that we and people from our group have purer motives than people from some outgroup. But, we also assume that deep down (in their true self) members of other groups are good and moral people.

Why does the concept of the true self matter?

For one, the belief in a true self affects people’s judgments about what actions give life meaning. A person might work hard at their job and also spend time with family. They might believe that their job is just something they do, but that the importance they place on family relationships is part of their true self. In that case, the effort they put into their family relationships will give them a greater sense that their life has had meaning than the effort they have put into their profession.

In addition, the belief in true self can influence the treatments people will consider for mental illnesses. For example, many college students are willing to take medications for ADHD that allow them to focus on their work. Part of the reason why they take this medication so freely is that few people consider their ability or inability to concentrate as a central part of their true self. In contrast, many patients suffering from bipolar disorder are reluctant to take their medication, because they believe that their medication is changing aspects of their true self.

Excerpts from:    Psychology Today: The True Self - What does it mean to believe that there is a "true self" inside of everyone?

~ ~ ~ ~

The above articles are excerpts – you might get even more out of them if you click on the hyperlink and read the entire article.

Grease Spotters, feel free to share about anything that has helped you in your journey.

Edited by T-Bone
I think my editor is from Treadstone and he plans on assassinating all typos

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about an answer to prayer. Our small Twig had just decided to go door-to-door witnessing. And truth be told I always hated it because I felt like I was trying to be a pushy sales rep. Just as we were about to leave, a door-to-door salesman rang the doorbell. Since I’m the first one to get real grouchy peddling classes about God, I put my foot on his traveling sales bag so he wouldn’t get away. My brother (and assistant Twig coordinator) - realizing we were exceedingly abundantly blessed beyond belief - began to harp on the greatness of selling stuff and directed him to the roomy couch, next to the end table that was decked out in magnificent PFAL sign-up accoutrements…Thank you God.

Marx%20Brothers%20(Room%20Service)_01.jp

(truly a work of fiction – but based on a real nightmare of a mindset  :rolleyes: 

• 2 weeks later...

Pervert and subvert

Craig had his Athletes of the Spirit - a knock-off of the 1983 film Staying Alive.

If wierwille was still around in 1989 he could have done a knock-off of the sci-fi TV show Quantum Leap…only it would be called Quagmire Heap.

The premise: Theorizing he could do whatever the hell he wanted in the space-time continuum, each  session  week   Doctor Quackencharge steps into the Quagmire Heap Accelerator Array striving to rewrite history, theology, philosophy, psychology, cosmology, sociology, linguistics, logic, science, medicine, basketball legends, the fine arts, the white arts, the black arts, general hookie-pookism which includes the hokey pokey, even various and sundry nefarious sundries but never on a Sunday miscellaneous misfeasance, nonfeasance, and malfeasance feces. Everyone assumes each mission was successfully completed when Doctor Quackencharge emerges out of the Quagmire Heap Accelerator Array and makes one of the following proclamations:

“That’s what really happened”

“I’d like to tell you what happened but it’s lockbox, Baby!”

“I’ve so renewed my mind that I don’t remember what happened”

"I wish you could have seen how it really happened"

"It's like Deja vu all over again"

"I teach like  Bullinger  writes"

"I  write  like  Xerox  copies"

“I’m my own grandpa...that's the original grandfather clause exempting me from any copyright laws"

“Fear is sand in the sandcastles built by cult-leaders”  <  not in the original   text   teleplay

“Trust in me”

"I said it. That settles it. You should believe it."

“I invented the hook shot”

"Millions now smoking Kool cigarettes"

"Phooey I'm out of Drambuie"

"Got  Roofies?"

“I didn’t need to invent the internet because I know all and see all”

“I can do all things through delusions which strengthen me”

"Lo Shonta My Shonta"

"Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho"

"This day and time and hour is exactly this day and time and hour"

"Lo I am with you always if you memorize PFAL"

“Do you know what killed that little Boy? Hell, if I know”

“That’s the truth behind the facts”

“Technically all the women in the universe belong in my Quagmire Heap Accelerator Array”

"The Devil always kicks up his heels every time I take a dump in one of these contraptions"

“As long as you love what you do, you can do as you full well please”

“I and my PFAL class  are one”

“I just did a number two in my Quagmire Heap Accelerator Array”

“Bull$hit happens”

"In the beginning was PFAL"

“Mum’s the word takes the place of the absent conscience”

“It is what it is”

"It ain't what it ain't"

“It’s like a lot of things, kids”

below: a section of the Quagmire Heap Accelerator Array grouped by color corresponding to the appropriate mathematically exact and scientifically precise faux textbook: The Orange Book, The Blue Book, etc.

1503805-blog-image-1920w.jpg

Edited by T-Bone
I'm my own editor...typos happen

• 3 months later...

I think what would have made the Advanced Class a lot better would have been some on-the-job training

Maybe standing next to “The Teacher” as he’s talking someone down from demonic possession

25733944-8091565-A_scene_from_the_1973_f

36 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I think what would have made the Advanced Class a lot better would have been some on-the-job training

Maybe standing next to “The Teacher” as he’s talking someone down from demonic possession

25733944-8091565-A_scene_from_the_1973_f

This is actual footage...foreal real

40 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

This is actual footage...foreal real

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

that reminds me - any time I smell vomit I usually have to hurl too

true story - my older brother and I shared the same bedroom...he came home late one night after drinking...I wake up in the morning, and smell vomit - I'm starting to gag - choke back a hurl - swing my legs out of bed to run to the bathroom - plant both feet in a puddle of puke between our beds! 

51 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

that reminds me - any time I smell vomit I usually have to hurl too

true story - my older brother and I shared the same bedroom...he came home late one night after drinking...I wake up in the morning, and smell vomit - I'm starting to gag - choke back a hurl - swing my legs out of bed to run to the bathroom - plant both feet in a puddle of puke between our beds! 

:jump::jump::jump: