GreaseSpot Cafe

Yvette Vozzo Lawsuit

Pete

4 hours ago, OldSkool said:

I haven't found a complaint, but have found entries noting the nature of the case is personal injury, suggesting it was first filed in NYS courts, then transferred to SDNY (federal district court for the Southern District of New York.

Identification and location of the default (person) defendant apparently took some time. Originally transferred to SDNY in 2020, latest developments seem to be that plaintiff had an attorney quit or be fired and lawyers for twi (probably) exercising stall tactics.

I'd love to read the complaint. Pete, if you have any insight on how to find the complaint, please let us know.

21 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Unicourt dot com told me it has a pdf of the complain but wants $49 to make it available to me. I'm not going to do that.

Same here. I thought about it for a nanosecond...I did read that it was a personal injury/tort matter. Back to Pete...

• Upvote 1

I spotted this while googling for more info:

Removed To Federal Court

Baker & Hostetler on Monday removed a sexual abuse lawsuit under the Children Victims Act against The Way International religious ministry and Michael Minnetta to New York Southern District Court. The complaint was filed by Levy Konigsberg on behalf of Yvette Vozzo. Attorneys for the plaintiff have not yet entered an appearance in 1:20-cv-08026, Vozzo v. The Way International et al.

It pops up on the following link:

https://www.law.com/radar/card/vozzo-v-the-way-international-et-al-36457014-r/

Funny.  Throughout most of the last two decades Baker and Hostetler have had a tighter relationship with the board of directors than any other group to include clergy, top leaders, way corps, fellowship coordinators.  They are Rosie’s besties.

Your abundant sharing at work.

:spy:

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

Funny.  Throughout most of the last two decades Baker and Hostetler have had a tighter relationship with the board of directors than any other group to include clergy, top leaders, way corps, fellowship coordinators.  They are Rosie’s besties.

Your abundant sharing at work.

:spy:

This is so very true. I would take a blind guesstimate and say that the money they have made in the past 22 years or so would be at least a 7 digit number.

I think someone should reach out to the woman and let her know that this is the MO of TWI - if it is sexual assault that she is suing about.  I don't suppose either TWI or its lawyers will be telling her that.  They may even be telling her that sexual assault would be out of the question.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I spotted this while googling for more info:

It pops up on the following link:

https://www.law.com/radar/card/vozzo-v-the-way-international-et-al-36457014-r/

Still, have to pay to get access to the actual complaint. 

We figured out yesterday that this is now a federal civil suit (personal injury tort). That means NO criminal charges are at issue in this particular lawsuit at this time.

A Michael T Manetta is the subject of a community newspaper story indicating he was killed in a collision when his motorcycle was struck by a turning automobile that didn't properly yield 

The driver who struck Manetta failed to yield right-of-way when attempting to turn left westbound on County Route 7A, according to a preliminary investigation by State Police. Mannetta collided with the rear side of the driver’s car and was launched from his motorcycle, according to a statement by Troop K commander Major Kathryne M. Rohde. Police have not revealed the driver’s identity.

Could be a different person, Rocky.  Court documents don't spell the name that way, unless there was an amendment that I missed seeing.  

20 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Could be a different person, Rocky.  Court documents don't spell the name that way, unless there was an amendment that I missed seeing.  

The link I checked before posting that comment did have it spelled that way. So, who knows? :doh:

• 10 months later...

This case was recently settled. 

In the chronology of the case (click the link below) dates especially of interest:

April 11, 2023 – Settlement

Jan. 12 – 17, 2023 – Vince Finnegan subpoenaed and deposed

Nov. 8, 2022 – Charlene Edge disposition. I was not subpoenaed. I was contacted by Vozzo's attorney because I am the author of Undertow. I agreed to give info about the TWI organization as it was during the 1980s. I was involved with TWI from 1970 - 1987.

Vozzo v. The Way International et al 1:2020cv08026 | US District Court for the Southern District of New York | Justia

Also, fyi:

Vozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdfVozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdfVozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdfVozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdf

it's all in the attached PDF.

15 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

Any specific details of what occurred, what happened.   Is that not ok with you that I ask?

I would suggest you refer to the laws that detail the specific parameters of what constitutes sexual abuse.

Edited by waysider
spelling

7 hours ago, penworks said:

This case was recently settled. 

In the chronology of the case (click the link below) dates especially of interest:

April 11, 2023 – Settlement

Jan. 12 – 17, 2023 – Vince Finnegan subpoenaed and deposed

Nov. 8, 2022 – Charlene Edge disposition. I was not subpoenaed. I was contacted by Vozzo's attorney because I am the author of Undertow. I agreed to give info about the TWI organization as it was during the 1980s. I was involved with TWI from 1970 - 1987.

Vozzo v. The Way International et al 1:2020cv08026 | US District Court for the Southern District of New York | Justia

Also, fyi:

Vozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdfVozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdfVozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdfVozzo v. The Way Int'l.pdf 140.24 kB · 14 downloads

Thank you, Charlene. For everything.

The docket report says the case was settled, but orders for dismissal were only sent to and named for Michael Anthony Farris-Manetta, who appears to be in default and only showing up for the case at the last minute to correct his legal name and address.

It's not clear to me TWI settled, only that the case against Michael Anthony Farris-ManettaI was settled.

It's probable I'm misreading the docket, though I did read it completely. Twice. I'm not an attorney nor a legal professional.

Can anyone provide clarity on this?

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

It's not clear to me TWI settled, only that the case against Michael Anthony Farris-ManettaI was settled.

I don't know US court procedure, but I did see this (my emphasis), dated Tuesday, April 11, 2023

ORDER: The Court has been advised that all claims asserted herein have been settled in principle. ECF No. 92. Accordingly, the above-entitled action is hereby dismissed and discontinued without costs, and without prejudice to the right to reopen the action within thirty days of the date of this Order if the settlement is not consummated. Any application to reopen must be filed within thirty days of this Order; any application to reopen filed thereafter may be denied solely on that basis

Most of the documents are unavailable except to professional personnel. 
However, from the above, which is of public record, it seems to me that TWI is off the hook again.  Paid over plenty of money, no doubt, and got a confidentiality clause put in the settlement as well.  No findings against, and no admissions of liability.

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

I don't know US court procedure, but I did see this (my emphasis), dated Tuesday, April 11, 2023

ORDER: The Court has been advised that all claims asserted herein have been settled in principle. ECF No. 92. Accordingly, the above-entitled action is hereby dismissed and discontinued without costs, and without prejudice to the right to reopen the action within thirty days of the date of this Order if the settlement is not consummated. Any application to reopen must be filed within thirty days of this Order; any application to reopen filed thereafter may be denied solely on that basis

Most of the documents are unavailable except to professional personnel. 
However, from the above, which is of public record, it seems to me that TWI is off the hook again.  Paid over plenty of money, no doubt, and got a confidentiality clause put in the settlement as well.  No findings against, and no admissions of liability.

Perfect. Thanks, Twinky.