First Christ was SENT

Next Christ was PRESENT

I'm looking at the English here indicating sent and present are related

Edited by OldSkool

3 hours ago, Mike said:

First Christ was SENT.
Next Christ was ABSENT.
Soon we can say he was SENT again.

I'm looking at the English here indicating sent and absent are related. Anyone care to check the ancient languages on this simple observation?

@Mike There is absolutely no corelation between absent and sent. They aren't even derived from the same languages. I see your research skills are on par with wierwille at least, remedial.

Absent

https://www.etymonline.com/word/absent

absent (adj.)

"not present, not in a certain place" (of persons), "non-existent" (of things), late 14c., from Old French absent, ausent "absent" and directly from Latin absentem (nominative absens), present participle of abesse "be away from, be absent," from assimilated form of ab "off, away from" (see ab-) + esse "to be" (from PIE root *es- "to be"). Related: Absently; absentness.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sent

sent

1 of 2

past tense and past participle of SEND

https://www.etymonline.com/word/send

send (v.)

Middle English senden, from Old English sendan "dispatch (as a messenger, on an errand); order or cause to go or pass (from one place to another);" also "send forth, emit; throw, propel, cause to be delivered or conveyed."

This is reconstructed to be from Proto-Germanic *sond- "make to go" (source also of Old Saxon sendian, Old Norse senda, Old Frisian senda, Middle Low German and Middle Dutch senden, Dutch zenden, German senden, Gothic sandjan), causative form of *sinþan "to go, journey" (source of Old English sið "way, journey," Old Norse sinn, Gothic sinþs "going, walk, time"). This in turn is from the PIE root *sent- "to head for, go" (source also of Lithuanian siųsti "send"), for which see sense (n.). For the linguistic connection of "go" and "sense," compare German sinnen (past tense sann) "go over in the mind, review, reflect upon." 

The meaning cause (someone) to go into some specified state (send to sleep, etc.) is by 1831. The slang sense of "to transport with emotion, delight" is by 1932, in American English jazz slang. To send word "transmit or dispatch a message" (to someone) is from c. 1200. To send for "summon, send a message or messenger for" is by late 14c.

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

@Mike There is absolutely no corelation between absent and sent. They aren't even derived from the same languages. I see your research skills are on par with wierwille at least, remedial.

Absent

https://www.etymonline.com/word/absent

absent (adj.)

"not present, not in a certain place" (of persons), "non-existent" (of things), late 14c., from Old French absent, ausent "absent" and directly from Latin absentem (nominative absens), present participle of abesse "be away from, be absent," from assimilated form of ab "off, away from" (see ab-) + esse "to be" (from PIE root *es- "to be"). Related: Absently; absentness.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sent

sent

1 of 2

past tense and past participle of SEND

https://www.etymonline.com/word/send

send (v.)

Middle English senden, from Old English sendan "dispatch (as a messenger, on an errand); order or cause to go or pass (from one place to another);" also "send forth, emit; throw, propel, cause to be delivered or conveyed."

This is reconstructed to be from Proto-Germanic *sond- "make to go" (source also of Old Saxon sendian, Old Norse senda, Old Frisian senda, Middle Low German and Middle Dutch senden, Dutch zenden, German senden, Gothic sandjan), causative form of *sinþan "to go, journey" (source of Old English sið "way, journey," Old Norse sinn, Gothic sinþs "going, walk, time"). This in turn is from the PIE root *sent- "to head for, go" (source also of Lithuanian siųsti "send"), for which see sense (n.). For the linguistic connection of "go" and "sense," compare German sinnen (past tense sann) "go over in the mind, review, reflect upon." 

The meaning cause (someone) to go into some specified state (send to sleep, etc.) is by 1831. The slang sense of "to transport with emotion, delight" is by 1932, in American English jazz slang. To send word "transmit or dispatch a message" (to someone) is from c. 1200. To send for "summon, send a message or messenger for" is by late 14c.

Ok, thanks.  I wont beat that drum any more.

Do I get credit for knowing it might be a mere Englo-cowinkenality?

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Ok, thanks.  I wont beat that drum any more.

Do I get credit for knowing it might be a mere Englo-cowinkenality?

quit trying to bury posts with senseless BS....you wonder why people here call you a troll?

I dont agree with this statement. I dont agree that Christ is absent. We used a goofy illustration of Christ being present/absent in reporting for class where I can readily admit Christ is not physically present, walking around in sandals and tunic on earth the way he was in the gospels. But I also followed up by saying that he has been changed and ascended and that ascended and absent arent synonamous. The problem you guys are having is you cant physically see him so he must be absent. 

I feel scripture points to a present, yet invisible Christ. If he is truly absent the we would be awaiting his return, and I understand some use that language, but scripture teaches we are awaiting his appearing. That makes sense when you check the records in the gospes where he disappeared out of people's sight. So a lot of this argument will depend on if you consider the Bible a true account on the subject, because without it we all sound crazy discussing any of this. The Bible directs us to a present Christ, one who is head of his Body. Can a living body have an absent head?

“I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matt. 28:20). Jesus spoke those words to his followers after his resurrection and shortly before his ascension. He didnt say I am absent and will return later so read some Bible verses in the meantime.

9 hours ago, OldSkool said:

I can play too...

First Christ was SENT

Next Christ was PRESENT

I'm looking at the English here indicating sent and present are related

Then there’s the word omnipresent  - present everywhere at the same time – which makes me think of

New International Version
When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all…I Corinthians 15:28

That takes present to a whole new mind-blowing level :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, waysider said:

I thought omnipresent was that old Dodge someone gave you as a gift.

Good one...I always kept my eye out for a Dodge Omni when at a traffic light - so I could say "Look there's an Omni present !" ....I'm here all week folks...

45 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Beetlejuice-best-quotes.jpg

oh yeah - I love that scene...love the whole movie actually. 

In my opinion he was the best Batman too. oh no - here I go way off-topic on some other great roles in 

Bird Man

Dope sick

Spotlight

Night Shift

Mister Mom

10 hours ago, T-Bone said:

oh yeah - I love that scene...love the whole movie actually. 

In my opinion he was the best Batman too. oh no - here I go way off-topic on some other great roles in 

Bird Man

Dope sick

Spotlight

Night Shift

Mister Mom

Beetle Juice is one of my favorites! All of those you listed are awesome, Jackie Brown as well - he does great work playing a cocky young ATF agent...really makes the movie what it is cause hes such a typical cop. 

17 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Beetle Juice is one of my favorites! All of those you listed are awesome, Jackie Brown as well - he does great work playing a cocky young ATF agent...really makes the movie what it is cause hes such a typical cop. 

Damn! - I forget Keaton was in Jackie Brown… I haven’t seen that film in so long. I have that movie- collector’s edition ! I pulled it off the shelf, sat it by my day planner and will watch it in the next few days. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Damn! - I forget Keaton was in Jackie Brown… I haven’t seen that film in so long. I have that movie- collector’s edition ! I pulled it off the shelf, sat it by my day planner and will watch it in the next few days. 

Its a nice long slow movie with a decent sound track that one can just sit there and veg onwards with a silly yet decent enough plot. Really, the cast make the movie worthwhile. For Tarantino it's really a kind of a mild gangster type thing going on but not over the top like some of his other movies. I was a huge Tarantino fan when I was young but now not so much. Horror/gangster movies don't have the same appeal now that ive aged a bit. Jackie Brown is not in that category. It's one I have to watch every so often. The Usual Suspects is another one of those classic, watch every once in a while type affairs too.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

This old thread was before my time here, by a few months.

There are interesting contributions from Research Geek and socks.

Thanks, I read a little and will check it out. I am excited to see other folks points of view on the subject. My perspective isnt King....

Edited by OldSkool

10 hours ago, Mike said:

This old thread was before my time here, by a few months.

There are interesting contributions from Research Geek and socks.

You mean Research Geek, the guy that did the Saint Vic credential paper you tried posting in every active thread at that time until you were reminded it had been debunked five years earlier? Yah, Research Geek, a real credible source.

1 hour ago, So_crates said:

You mean Research Geek, the guy that did the Saint Vic credential paper you tried posting in every active thread at that time until you were reminded it had been debunked five years earlier? Yah, Research Geek, a real credible source.

You may not remember him.  He was a heavy poster with copious info in the early years here, like WW and T-Bone are now.

Do you mean Research Geek's report on he and his wife (another heavy GSC poster in those early years) traveling to the Pikes Peak seminary?

I am unaware it was debunked.  Got a link?   Did Research Geek get a chance to respond to the debunk to de-debunk it?

43 minutes ago, Mike said:

You may not remember him.  He was a heavy poster with copious info in the early years here, like WW and T-Bone are now.

Do you mean Research Geek's report on he and his wife (another heavy GSC poster in those early years) traveling to the Pikes Peak seminary?

I am unaware it was debunked.  Got a link?  

The link is in the post below;

On 12/30/2022 at 2:17 PM, So_crates said:

Mike seems to think we've forgotten that five years ago, this paper was torn apart line by line and word by word and exposed for how unobjective it really is.

For those interested here's a blast from the past, presenting that critique.

The fun starts here:

Continue reading the thread to get the scoop on all the errors in the paper.

43 minutes ago, Mike said:

Did Research Geek get a chance to respond to the debunk to de-debunk it?

It would be hard him to respond, as when the debunking occured he hadn't been posting for a while.

What does he need to respond to? When you write Saint Vic went to Princeton, rather than the factual Saint Vic went to Princeton Theological Seminary, you're either sloppy in your research or attempting to be deceptive.

Edited by So_crates

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

I am unaware it was debunked.  Got a link?   Did Research Geek get a chance to respond to the debunk to de-debunk it?

Have you already forgotten about the information surrounding Pike's Peak that was discussed here about a month or 2 ago? Did such a location exist? Yes. Was it an academic institution? Most decidedly not.

Princeton Theological Seminary is a real educational institution. The problem is that it's not the same place as Princeton University. Many people were led on and left to believe they were one and the same.

Now, Pike's Peak Seminary, on the other hand was...can I say bogus here?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, So_crates said:

When you write Saint Vic went to Princeton, rather than the factual Saint Vic went to a mail order school named Princeton, you're either sloppy in your research or attempting to be deceptive.

Not so!  I come from a nearby State and was familiar with New Jersey and Princeton since mid-High School when I got into Relativity and Godel.  I knew that Einstein and Godel were at Princeton.

But not Princeton University!!!   It was the The Institute for Advanced Study where they were at.

There were 3 FAMOUS schools from there.

The Princeton Theological Seminary was the third.  Long before taking the class I was aware of these things. 

Then, a few years later I went on a field trip to the Advanced Study Institute there in college to meet with Thomas Kuhn.

When I first heard Princeton with VPW the most obvious association was Princeton Theological Seminary. 

I consider Research Geek's Report on Pikes Peak intact and even strengthened by this puny attempt of a debunking.

20 minutes ago, waysider said:

Have you already forgotten about the information surrounding Pike's Peak that was discussed here about a month or 2 ago? Did such a location exist? Yes. Was it an academic institution? Most decidedly not.

No.  Research Geek's report was that it transitioned from honorable to dishonorable at a point AFTER vpw was there. I care little whether it was "officially" academically accredited or not.   Research Geek's report was he did the work and should be credited for that.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not so!  I come from a nearby State and was familiar with New Jersey and Princeton since mid-High School when I got into Relativity and Godel.  I knew that Einstein and Godel were at Princeton.

But not Princeton University!!!   It was the The Institute for Advanced Study where they were at.

There were 3 FAMOUS schools from there.

The Princeton Theological Seminary was the third.  Long before taking the class I was aware of these things. 

Then, a few years later I went on a field trip to the Advanced Study Institute there in college to meet with Thomas Kuhn.

When I first heard Princeton with VPW the most obvious association was Princeton Theological Seminary. 

Joe Sixpack wouldn't, he'd hear Princeton and think Princeton University.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

I consider Research Geek's Report on Pikes Peak intact and even strengthened by this puny attempt of a debunking.

You apparently didn't check the link.

I only stated one of the most glaring errors.

The errors in Research Geek's paper are far from puny, they border on deceptive.

Edited by So_crates