GreaseSpot Cafe

The Absent Christ?

OldSkool

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Why? What was wrong with it? What changes did you make?

I wish I could read it in the original. 

Oh, sorry. The OCR came out pretty bad. Not all of it, though.
I was on the run, and wanted to post what I had cleaned up so far.

Next installment:

He Is Our Advocate

Jesus Christ fulfills another office while in the heavenlies. He is our advocate.

1John 2: 1 and 2:
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And [But] if any man sin, we have an advocate with the father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for
the sins of the whole world.

The word “advocate” is the Greek word parakletos, which means “one who may be called to help or aid.” It is used of legal assistance. It is the noun form of the word translated “exhortation” in I Corinthians 14:3 where it says that a prophecy or a message in tongues with interpretation will exhort, will encourage toward a more worthy endeavor.

The office that the ascended Christ fulfills in this case is again dealing with forgiveness and reconciliation of the sinner and God, similar to that of the daysman. This time, however, the emphasis is on the legal side of our forgiveness. An advocate is synonymous with a defense attorney; and, indeed, the context in I John goes on to mention the propitiation, the legal payment in full for our sins.

Jesus Christ not only brings the sinner and God back together in a tender, loving, heart manner; but this reconciliation is legally sound. The sin, the breach of God’s laws, has been completely paid for, and Christ Jesus is in the “heavenly court room” to plead our case every time we need it. This is an amazing thing, we who were dead in sins, quickened by God’s grace, yet who continue to fall short of the mark of fellowship with God have an attorney who paid the consequences of our shortcomings and has taken up residence at the right hand of the throne of God to defend us from the slander of the Adversary and to reconcile us each time we break fellowship. How all-encompassing is God’s care for His sons!

We have seen that Jesus Christ, when he left his earthly ministry of teaching, healing, preaching, etc., was given a greater office of mediator and defender of those who need forgiveness from God. But have the jobs he used to do been left undone? God forbid. II Corinthians 5:20 says: “Now then we are ambassadors for Christ. ...” From the context of verses 18-21 , we see that our ambassadorship is tied in with reconciliation which the ascended Christ is accomplishing for us every time we need it.

God is a God of more abundance, not less abundance. Just as He did not seat Christ in the heavenlies to give him a less important job than he had on earth, He did not leave that earthly job to be done by less competent people. We are ambassadors for Christ. What could possibly make us more competent than Jesus Christ was when he was on earth? It was the result of his ascension!

John 14:12:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater
works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

The questions that come to mind about this verse are “How? When?” The answer to both is found in the phrase “because I go unto my Father.” Because of Jesus Christ’s ascension to the Father, power was made available to those who believe on him. This power, which was not available before this time, now enables believers to do those things which Jesus Christ did on earth, and even greater things.

What is this power? It is the power of the “comforter,” the gift of holy spirit.

John 14:16 and 1 7:
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

It was not available for this power to be received before the ascension.

John 16:7:
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

John 7:38 and 39:
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet
given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

When the day of Pentecost was fully come and this power was given to man, glory was given to God and His son Jesus Christ. The necessity of the ascension was noted by the Apostle Peter.

Acts 2:32 and 33:
This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses
[because they spoke in tongues]. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Not an answer, but a cop out.

I'm not surprised. That's what imitating victor does for you. The irony. Victor paul wierwille hated cop outs almost as much as he hated the truth.

No need to convert image to text. Just post the original scanned image.

I still wish I could read it in the original.

This was the kind of thinking about Jesus that went on in TWI-1 in the 1970s.   This article was written because so many of us were asking the same questions. 

This seeking Jesus went down in TWI-2.  It wasn't cool in the Corps. The TVTs of the 80s discouraged thinking about Jesus. I think that is why that chapter about Zacheus seeking Jesus appeared in OMSW (1985).

John Lynn published a letter where a young person wrote VPW asking it it was ok to talk to Jesus, and VPW said it is ok.

Then there was the Rock of Ages 1972 movie, and VPW gently taught the little boy that Jesus was inside.

Edited by Mike

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Not an answer, but a cop out.

I'm not surprised. That's what imitating victor does for you. The irony. Victor paul wierwille hated cop outs almost as much as he hated the truth.

No need to convert image to text. Just post the original scanned image.

I still wish I could read it in the original.

It was spread out over several pages in the back.
Sorry to have  missed your desired mark.

Mike: "Then there was the Rock of Ages 1972 movie, and VPW gently taught the little boy that Jesus was inside."

I have mentioned this a few times. victor told that little boy Jesus was NOT up there but inside that little boy's chest. If only we could find that little boy, who is all growns up, we could meet him at Starbucks and have a coffee with Jesus. That little boy is all growns up now... with Jesus inside, not absent, not up there, but inside that little boy, who is all growns up now.

Sorry for the pieces.  This is second to the last piece.

Greater Works

This power is Christ in us (Colossians 1:27) and it enables us to operate all nine manifestations of the spirit (I Corinthians 12:7-11). It is incorruptible seed in us (1 Peter 1:23), and we can lead others to the new birth and into the operation of all nine manifestations of the spirit. This is the "greater works” of John 14:12. It could not have been made available without the ascension of Christ.

The abilities of Jesus Christ in his resurrected body while on earth were fantastic, but after his ascension, God put the power of Christ in every born again believer. Hence, there is more power available to believers today than there was before the ascension. That is some of the magnificence of the more abundant life Christ came to make available.

How are we, then, to operate and live by this power? Are we to be individual power-charged units, each moving his own way according to his own individual plan? Again, the answer is a resounding "God forbid!” The instruction as to what to do with this power is also available as a result of Christ’s ascension.

We know that on the day of Pentecost when this power was first made available, the Church ceased being the Bride of Christ and became the Body. The organization and structure of the Church of the Body is instruction as to how we are to function as Christians. It could not be implemented until after Christ had assumed his ascended position. Ephesians explains why.

Ephesians 1:20-23:
Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set
him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

There is more power available to believers today
than there was before the ascension.

It is only when Christ was seated at the right hand of God that he could assume the headship of the Church of the Body. This Church is the great mystery. Had the Devil known what was going to happen as a result, I Corinthians 2:8b says, he would not have crucified Jesus Christ.

What a magnificent truth! Without Christ’s ascension, we would not have the mystery. There are two great aspects of the mystery which make it unique in the history of God’s dealing with people. One is that, for the first time, the Church is the called out of Jew and of Gentile to be fellowheirs, of the same Body and partakers of God’s promise in Christ (Ephesians 3:6). For the first time, the Gentiles had equal access with the Jews into the grace of God. This is a tremendous truth. Christ is the head. The second spectacular aspect is that Christ is the head of the Body. The Church is one Body with and of Christ, not separated as the Bride and Bridegroom were. Because of this "oneness” of relationship, Christ is able to energize each part of the Body directly. He directs each member by his spirit which is in each individual believer.

Kids made "clouds" today using a bicycle pump and a soda bottle.  And water.

. . . If Jesus just disappeared the void left might have allowed water vapor to expand quickly . . . Creating the cloud.

. . .  Can't assume he just kept traveling into space