GreaseSpot Cafe

The Absent Christ?

OldSkool

18 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

oh...hey guys....hey NateJ...drop a note in there for me too...I got dirty winders to tend to....

Everyone has their own tab, including you, OS. The folder is almost three inches thick.

One day, when I have time, when I'm not so overwhelmed, I'll transpose all the questions to 3x5 cards and file them in a special file box. It's a cross between a lock box and a bookcase. It's a dandy... nay, it's a REAL dandy.

All this filing and foldering takes time. Time I just don't have.

And then there's the reading. I'm reading slowly. It's gentle and tremendous and absorbent -- it slowly absorbs time, gently.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

9 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Everyone has their own tab, including you, OS. The folder is almost three inches thick.

One day, when I have time, when I'm not so overwhelmed, I'll transpose all the questions to 3x5 cards and file them in a special file box. It's a cross between a lock box and a bookcase. It's a dandy... nay, it's a REAL dandy.

All this filing and foldering takes time. Time I just don't have.

And then there's the reading. I'm reading slowly. It's gentle and tremendous and absorbent -- it slowly absorbs time, gently.

All I needed was a cloak.....

12 hours ago, Charity said:

Mike, It was God's plan to use the example of a body to show Christ's relationship with us - Christ is the head and you are a member.  Why did God do this?  What did He want to teach us about Christ?

Question:  When your hand accidentally touches a hot flying pan, why do you jerk your hand away? 

Answer:  When we feel pain, such as when we touch a hot stove, sensory receptors in our skin send a message via nerve fibers (A-delta fibers and C fibers) to the spinal cord and brain stem and then onto the brain where the sensation of pain is registered, the information is processed and the pain is perceived.

Once the brain has received and interpreted the pain message, it coordinates an appropriate response. The brain can send a signal back to the spinal cord and nerves to increase or decrease the severity of pain. For example, the brain can signal the release of natural painkillers known as endorphins.

It's how a body works!

Keying off of this post by Charity, as well as Skyrider's clear calling out of Mike's chronic anti-social conduct on GSC, and my ongoing curiosity (for which I am immensely thankful) which causes me to learn things... I opened an email today (not spam, I joined this list consciously) I learned about this book written by genuine social neuroscientists

9780691167275.jpg?w=600&auto=format

The great thing about seeing it on the Princeton University Press website is the fact I can obtain my own hardcopy of the book for 75% off. If anyone (T-Bone perhaps) wants to do the same, use the code FEB75 at checkout.

Before I took the bait, I asked amazon to send me a sample of the kindle version. Here's a key excerpt:

1.1 The Evolution of Social Behaviors Our journey begins with the question of how did social behaviors evolve? Social behaviors can be classified according to the fitness consequences for the actor and its social partners. Four types of social behaviors that are found in species ranging from bacteria to humans are:2 (1) mutual benefit—a social behavior that benefits all involved in the interaction; (2) selfishness—a behavior that benefits the actor at the expense of the other(s) involved in the interaction; (3) altruism—a behavior that is costly for the actor but that benefits other(s); and (4) spite—a behavior that is costly for the actor and the other(s). (emphasis mine)

Cacioppo, Stephanie; Cacioppo, John T. (2020-08-10T22:58:59.000). Introduction to Social Neuroscience . Princeton University Press. Kindle Edition. 

All of the above spurs me to ask myself: what does Mike get out of his provocative conduct on GSC. At this point, I can only imagine.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Charity said:

What's this "cloak" about - I've heard it mentioned a few times.

They’re probably talking about a goofball theory Mike posited in the NT Canon thread,

The relevant posts and corrective analysis are:

1 here

2 here

3 here

4 analysis

9 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name… John 20: 30, 31

I posted this, and I think the entire chapter it is in.
Maybe I should use blue fonts and pull it up for re-posting?

Hopefully this will refresh some memories, assuming it was read when I posted it a few months ago in this thread.

"Ladies and gentlemen, whatever you have to
do to know the Lord Jesus Christ, do it.
Wherever you have to go to learn about him, do
it. The one great driving force of your soul
should be to know Jesus Christ. Who is he? The
only way you’ll ever know who Jesus Christ is is
to come to God’s Word. The Word makes
known Jesus Christ. The Word tells you who he
is. It is that Word which brings you to a
knowledge of salvation."

That's VPW in OMSW p. 222 1985

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

I posted this, and I think the entire chapter it is in.
Maybe I should use blue fonts and pull it up for re-posting?

Hopefully this will refresh some memories, assuming it was read when I posted it a few months ago in this thread.

"Ladies and gentlemen, whatever you have to
do to know the Lord Jesus Christ, do it.
Wherever you have to go to learn about him, do
it. The one great driving force of your soul
should be to know Jesus Christ. Who is he? The
only way you’ll ever know who Jesus Christ is is
to come to God’s Word. The Word makes
known Jesus Christ. The Word tells you who he
is. It is that Word which brings you to a
knowledge of salvation."

That's VPW in OMSW p. 222 1985

Now you really sound mixed up!

Because earlier you said this:

12 hours ago, Mike said:

I don't forbid it either, but I do note that most of the time the believers in Acts did not have such interactions.  Years would chug by between the blue scriptures listed above.  I also note that none of the interactions were conjured up or entreated by believers. God initiates such rare interactions in Acts, not believers.

I also note the rarity of such events in everyday life.  I also note that not so rare are really stupid fake imaginations of interactions or relationships with Jesus.

I love it when God intervenes. I love all those interactions we see in Acts, but I do not see any instructions in them for my behavior and prayer life.  I do see plenty of that in Paul's epistles.

I think the devil tempts Christians with fake relationships with a fake Jesus, when said Christians refuse to see and obey what the church epistles tell us.  It is sad to see Christians seeking comfort in a lovy-dovy, chatty idolatry with a fake Jesus, all the while they themselves were called to give genuine comfort to those who hunger to be  reconciled to God.

I do not know exactly how to treat Jesus' words you quoted in the Gospels and how much of that applies to us in this administration. We  can look into it. 

So what’s it going to be?

wierwille sayingLadies and gentlemen, whatever you have to do to know the Lord Jesus Christ, do it. Wherever you have to go to learn about him, do it.”

or

Mike saying: “the devil tempts Christians with fake relationships with a fake Jesus, when said Christians refuse to see and obey what the church epistles tell us.  It is sad to see Christians seeking comfort in a lovy-dovy, chatty idolatry with a fake Jesus

wierwille said whatever you have to do to know the Lord Jesus Christ - just do it

Mike says to beware of having a fake relationship with a fake Jesus.

The two statements are mutually exclusive of each other...in other words, the two statements are 'related' in such a way that each makes the other impossible ....each statement is not able to be true at the same time as the other - they can't both be true!

Edited by T-Bone
the editor hath spoken

24 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I suggest you read the whole chapter in OMSW, and read all my posts in this thread. Maybe then they will fit for you.  I see no reason I should write it up again, especially only to have it rejected again.

I stated when Raf intervened here that I felt the thread was over. Everything that could be said has been said.  I even threw in a bonus thread that was before my time here. That summed it all up again. 

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I suggest you read the whole chapter in OMSW, and read all my posts in this thread. Maybe then they will fit for you.  I see no reason I should write it up again, especially only to have it rejected again.

I stated when Raf intervened here that I felt the thread was over. Everything that could be said has been said.  I even threw in a bonus thread that was before my time here. That summed it all up again. 

So in other words, you are shown contradictions in your ‘thesis’ -  stuff does NOT fit - and you choose to ignore them. Yeah - no reason to write it up again and correct your errors…oh well - you had your chance…chalk another one up for why you have no credibility here - and nobody cares - not even you.

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

IF that was true, WHY did you continue to post on this thread?

You do NOT have to answer everything. IF you believe discussion cannot/could not be furthered on the subject, wouldn't you just STOP any further commenting on the subject?

(rhetorical questions)

18 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

So in other words, you are shown contradictions in your ‘thesis’ -  stuff does NOT fit - and you choose to ignore them. Yeah - no reason to write it up again and correct your errors…oh well - you had your chance…chalk another one up for why you have no credibility here - and nobody cares - not even you.

No.  In other words I am tired of people with rotten hearts who are seething with hate who can't read, or who don't want to read. 

I am happy with what I posted. It speaks for itself WHEN you read it all, which is difficult with all the baloney smothering it.

I am happy with what I posted, and here is another example of what needs to be seen by all.

My old Zacchaeus post, slightly edited and cleaned up.

Posted April 5, 2003

I agree the TWI Verbal Tradition (TVT) got way out of hand on both Paul and Victor Paul. We got out of balance on LOTS of other things as well: grace license, guideline law, discipline, tough love, etc., just like all other churches. The first century church got out of balance and became RC.

I've found a most beautiful chapter in Dr's last book called about Zacchaeus. It’s called “Climbing High to Seek Truth.” It really dispels the myth that Dr’s teaching was bereft of the Lordship of Jesus Christ. That DID happen in TVT, but not Dr’s teachings.

Here are some of his last words to us, from that last year, and his last book.

On page 207 he writes:

“As we pass through life, we must climb ever higher and higher in our hearts and minds with the greatness of God’s Word. We must always keep progressing to see more and more of God’s Word and His promises manifested in our daily lives.”

.....too many people (me included) had ended their search for more and more. We were resting on our laurels. That is... we older leader grads (OLG) were resting on our laurels. Oops! I don’t like the looks of THAT acronym. It looks too much like OLD! And, gosh! I hope Ossifer Zix from the Acromyn Enfrocement Police (AEP) doesn’t see this before I have a chance to ski daddle outta here (SDOH). He’s gonna git me fer THIS one fer shir!

On page 212-213 he writes:

“All I know is that the Word of God says Zacchaeus was a publican and he was rich. We learn one other thing about Zacchaeus in this account and that is that he was motivated by a wonderful desire: He wanted to see Jesus.

“Luke 19:3:

“And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.

“Zacchaeus wanted to see Jesus-who he was. Perhaps it was simple curiosity prompting him. The text doesn't say. But whatever the reason, at least he wanted to see Jesus. I wish that today, across our nation, there were more people who wanted to see Jesus. When people ask to see Jesus today, we've got to show him. When they want to see Jesus, who he is, we can show them God's Word and the greatness of Jesus Christ's position in the Word.

“Zacchaeus wanted to see Jesus, but he couldn't. The reason he couldn't see him or get to him was for "the press." That doesn't mean the news media, such as newspaper, radio, or television reporters. "Press" means "numbers of people." There were so many people sur-rounding Jesus that Zacchaeus couldn't get a glimpse of him.

“Verse 3:

. . . because he was little of stature.

“Zacchaeus was short. The biggest thing about him was his desire to see Jesus.

“Verse 4:

And he [Zacchaeus] ran before [ahead of where Jesus was walking], and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see him: for he [Jesus] was to pass that way.

“Zacchaeus climbed up into a sycamore tree in order to get a view of this noted person, Jesus, whom people were talking about. Zacchaeus took the necessary action to fulfill his desire. That's very important. If you want to see Jesus Christ through God's Word, you need to move, take action. Zacchaeus took the initiative and climbed up into that sycamore tree.”

Ten times I count the phrase “see Jesus” in these two pages.

Couple this with the introductory paragraph I gave you from p.207, and it's progressing to SEE JESUS that he’s urging with us OLGs to do. It’s for other grads too.

On pages 214 and 215 he writes:

“I want to tell you, whenever there are men and women desiring to know the Lord Jesus Christ, they will have that desire met according to God’s Word. Those people who hunger and thirst after righteousness shall (absolutely) be filled. That’s right. What an example of fulfilling this promise from this record in God’s Word.”

Again, he’s telling us to hunger for the Lord Jesus Christ.

On pages 221 and 222 he writes:

“Jesus Christ is a physician of the soul. A physician is not needed when one is healthy. Jesus Christ comes to seek and to save, to give wholeness to those in spiritual need. He seeks those who are lost-men and women who need the Lord Jesus Christ. He has no problem ex-tending himself to you and to me, because we are the people he came to seek and to save. Hebrews 7:25 says that Jesus Christ is "able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him." Jesus Christ is always ready to meet you. He met Zacchaeus, who had climbed up in a tree to see him. Wherever there are men and women who really want to hear, Jesus Christ is always there.

“There is no one so low that the arms of the Almighty are not underneath him. There is no one so high that the arms of the Almighty are not over him. And there is no one other than His Son who can save people. For there is no other name given among men whereby we must be saved.

“Ladies and gentlemen, whatever you have to do to know the Lord Jesus Christ, do it. Wherever you have to go to learn about him, do it. The one great driving force of your soul should be to know Jesus Christ. Who is he? The only way you'll ever know who Jesus Christ is is to come to God's Word. The Word makes known Jesus Christ. The Word tells you who he is. It is that Word which brings you to a knowledge of salvation.

“What do you need to hear” God's Word. Jesus Christ was that Word, the Living Word, who met Zacchaeus that day in Jericho. And he brought Zacchaeus to the great reality of being a believer, because Jesus was willing to teach him and Zacchaeus was meek to learn. If you want to experience the truth of God's Word, climb high to seek truth. God always has and always will seek out and teach those who are looking to Jesus Christ as their savior and lord.”

When all these were coming out in print, we OLGs were all on our own trips, all imbalanced in one way or another, and these things slipped right by us (or out of us).

I tried to show some of these kinds of things to the CES bulldozers in the early 90’s after they had been blowing the whistle on how the TVT had lost track of the Lordship of Jesus Christ. I believed them for a few years, until I found a ton of things like these quotes.

The reason I believed them at first, in the late 80’s, is because I clearly saw it the TVT, but I hadn’t yet learned the VAST separation, the VAST difference between what got put into print from what went on behind the scenes. This is the case for other things that got out of balance besides the lordship deal. (Exy, this is for you)

The print record, and also the tape, has lots of things that we OLGs were learning how to tune out. We would say things in our heads like:

“Yeah, yeah, that’s just Dr”

or

“How many times have I heard THIS before?”

or

“He doesn’t really mean that. He just mis-spoke, but I’ve a hot line to the Father and I’ll correct it immediately and just forget about it.”

Us OLGs have some accounting to do. Hows come we didn’t see the VAST difference between TVT and the Word of God that God was teaching to Dr and Dr was getting into print with our help? How’s come we didn’t see that VAST difference? Because we got “Sower-and-Seed”ed that’s how! We drifted away from the pure Word in PFAL and went back to tradition and KJV "research" on our own with no 1942 promise to back us up. And our fruit tells exactly which 3 of the 4 "Sower and Seed" categories we fit into, when “all nine all the time” is used as the standard which we were shooting for.

We got work to do. Thank God for His patience with us.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

No.  In other words I am tired of people with rotten hearts who are seething with hate who can't read, or who don't want to read. 

I am happy

Those two statements do not compute. IF you view those with whom you seek conflict on GSC with the hatred you expressed, it IS time you stop posting on GSC.

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

IF that was true, WHY did you continue to post on this thread?

I kinda promised it to OldSkool, when he begged me to stay here, that I'd check in see if anything new was said. 

Lots of questions and demands that I answer.
Rocky, why didn't you stop them from constantly inviting me back?

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I kinda promised it to OldSkool, when he begged me to stay here, that I'd check in see if anything new was said. 

Lots of questions and demands that I answer.
Rocky, why didn't you stop them from constantly inviting me back?

Nope. You don't seem to understand basic emotional intelligence. Just stop. Your question to me suggests you blame others for your own conduct/decisions/behavior.

That's anti-social.

3 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Nope. You don't seem to understand basic emotional intelligence. Just stop. Your question to me suggests you blame others for your own conduct/decisions/behavior.

I have no behavior here that I am ashamed of.
What I am tired of is the topic always being turned to be me, like it is now talking to you.  We aren't talking about the absent Christ, but about me. I blame others for that, constantly turning the topic to me.  You are doing it right now.    I will return talking to you when you want to talk the topic.  Bye bye for now.  :wave:

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have no behavior here that I am ashamed of.
What I am tired of is the topic always being turned to be me, like it is now talking to you.  We aren't talking about the absent Christ, but about me. I blame others for that, constantly turning the topic to me.  You are doing it right now.    I will return talking to you when you want to talk the topic.  Bye bye for now.  :wave:

You need to take responsibility for your own conduct. I don't give two hoots whether your conduct causes YOU shame. Your conduct is nobody's responsibility but your own. Own it.

9 minutes ago, Rocky said:

You need to take responsibility for your own conduct. I don't give two hoots whether your conduct causes YOU shame. Your conduct is nobody's responsibility but your own. Own it.

Own what?

Quote my sin.

Again: topic is me

I am so tired of this.

18 hours ago, skyrider said:

Nasty descriptions of you?  

Mike, when you continue to agitate, stir conflict and refuse to engage those who challenge your statements and hypothesis....AND you get called on the carpet for it.....THAT is not "nasty descriptions of you."  Why is it that you continuously make these bold [false] declarations of wierwille's writings knowing that he heavily plagiarized throughout his whole life?

Why is it that you immediately run for cover and play the "victim card" whenever someone challenges your statements?  You see, Mike.... you can't have it BOTH WAYS.  You cannot come to GSC and make these false assertions without being challenged.  All of this is antithetical to a discussion forum where facts, opinions and judgments are volleyed back and forth to further understanding.

Mike, you first posted on GSC on December 27, 2002 with a preaching pronouncement entitled "Dr's Last Teaching - LOST for 17 years!"  That thread alone expanded to 43 pages.

After more than two decades of posting, I have long passed the threshold of giving you the benefit of doubt and surmise that you come to GSC for the sole satisfaction of CONFLICT.  You like to agitate others.  You seem to gain a sense of purpose by stirring the pot of conflicting statements for self gain [mental superiority over others].  And, although the vast majority disagrees with your statements... you are undeterred to keep coming back for more conflict.

When it becomes abundantly obvious that your declarations are wrong and absurd... you use the evasive tactic of avoidance.  You, instead, just move on to another conflicting statement or teaching.  At no time, do you stop and reflect on your position.  Why?  Because in your mind.... you are right and all others are wrong.

You are like a castaway on an island of your own making.

And, you like it that way.

Mike, did you read this post?

This is a test.

Please acknowledge, at least, that you saw this post.... rather than using evasion tactic.

At least, then... I would hope that we are PROGRESSING in the form of a healthy discussion.  

GSC is a discussion forum... NOT a preaching pulpit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, skyrider said:

This is a test.

Please acknowledge, at least, that you saw this post.... rather than using evasion tactic.

At least, then... I would hope that we are PROGRESSING in the form of a healthy discussion.  

Mike was online.

Within minutes of my post.... Mike disappeared.  

50 minutes ago, skyrider said:

This is a test.

Yes, I saw it.  And read into it, and saw you were very far off track, and I'd have to do a lot of reading and writing on topics I'm not that interested in dwelling on. LOTS OF homework that I don't want, and I am tired, so I skimmed the rest.

I did the same thing the second time because I am tired and planned to have more energy and time tomorrow.

WHY?

Is there any thing in there that is important that I devote lots of reading and writing time to?  I have my budget for time here and I don't have to account for it's details.

So what is your important point?

Make it fast to read and fast to answer... relatively. Within reason for this late hour, and me being tired.