GreaseSpot Cafe

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

A canon is a list of books deemed authoritative or genuine. I'm trying to follow.

What Timothy shows is the attitudes and activities of the writers was to be as responsible with distribution as they were responsible to God to get the writing accurate with the revelation.

When you couple 2 Timothy with 2 Peter, you see the reverence to ALL of Paul's epistles at the end.  That implies a collection with an understood table of contents.

Be patient.  So far I have only posted a fraction of the verses.

Have you carefully read the verses that I did post?

3 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I'm not making an argument. You're making assumptions and accusations, AGAIN. I asked a simple, legitimate and relevant QUESTION in the midst of a DISCUSSION.

I already reproved, corrected and warned you about this, Mike.

I am slowly BUILDING evidence, and giving you preview of what the evidence says.

Please be patient as I build both the evidence and the arguments.  This is an involved topic to discuss fully, and you are way too rushed, and trying to rush me.  Now please slow down, and be patient, and absorbing the evidence, or else.... Or else, I'll make you reprove , correct, and warn me again.

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

Have you carefully read the verses that I did post?

“Carefully” implies that YOU deliberately avoided to do harm or make errors. Since you post incoherent nonsense based on PFAL incoherent nonsense - there’s no need to carefully read your posts to avoid doing harm or making errors because you’ve already done that for us. :evilshades:

Using figurative language, wag or purr more, bark or growl less as dogs and cats can do. Regarding hopefully at least, a not controversial subject of free will for humanity as quoted from the book, "Our Loving Savior Jesus Christ", is the following in chapter 11, named "1 Corinthians 14 Prophecy to Edify the Church":

1 Corinthians 14:32-33 
32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.  (KJV)

It should be clear that followers of Jesus Christ that include prophets are not puppets on a string with God controlling everything that we do. In contrast, the God of this world Satan and his demons try to get people to be puppets on a string through deception, greed, anger and hatred. God instead gives his followers the free will ability to control what we decide to do because God, especially as seen through his Son Jesus Christ, is a God of peace and unity among followers of Christ. Churches should also reflect this same character of God with peace, love and the other fruit of God’s Spirit as seen in Galatians 5:22. The glorification of individual people, including ourselves, should not be what motivates followers of Jesus Christ, instead a motivation to serve the body of Christ.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

absorbing the evidence,

FYI - just speaking for myself - I made a big mistake absorbing PFAL  some 50 years ago…about 36 years ago I changed the process to analyze instead…. It helps keep out the riff raff of cult indoctrination if you know what I mean

Canon New Oxford American Dictionary

noun

A collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine

• the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine.
  • the list of works considered to be permanently established as being of the highest quality

Canon Cambridge Dictionary 

noun

The writings or other works that are generally agreed to be good, important, and worth studying.

Canon Merriam-Webster Dictionary

noun

a: an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture

b: the authentic works of a writer

c: a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works

•  

14 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I made a big mistake absorbing PFAL

I think you underestimate just how (H-O-W) huge that mistake was. Thank God for... well... God! All better now.

I started a new topic in Humor. It's not as hilarious as this one, unless you think circles are funny.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:53 PM, Mike said:

The OT had no such problems.  The people had been "bred" for this, to produce the Messiah and that seems to include preserving the scriptures for young Jesus to grow up with, and a cousin with a healthy dose of the spirit, and relatives who could get spirit upon enough to prophesy.

How do you come up with this stuff?

can one get an unhealthy dose of the spirit?

what is the spirit to matter ratio in order for a person to prophesy?

if one is extremely overweight and has trouble prophesying - using Mike’s spirit to matter ratio - how much weight would they have to lose to get them into ideal spirit/matter prophesying range?

In an emergency situation where an extremely overweight held in abeyance prophesier had to prophesy - is it okay to amputate a limb or two to balance the spirit/ weight ratio for prophesying ?

On 10/10/2022 at 10:16 PM, Mike said:

This topic of the canon bothered me a lot almost 50 years ago.  I searched outside the Bible for answers and only found discouragement.  Oddly, it was Chris Geer who steered me to inquire within the Bible, instead of academic history approaches. 

Well… that’s part of the problem - Chris G was wierwille’s “bus driver” and evidently he steered a lot of people wrong.

another one rides the bus

On 10/11/2022 at 12:27 AM, Mike said:

Your distraction with VPW bashing, is too distracting for me to devote serious time to.

Sometimes I can get into good discussions here with less distracted/distracting posters.
You'll have to read our posts together, and how I discuss things in depth with them.

By comparison my long posts interpret themselves right in the post. I put all the poop in one spot so readers don’t have to dive deep into remote poop. I think it’s just the opposite with you scattering the poop all over Grease Spot and expect everyone to clean up after you.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:53 AM, Mike said:

No.  Those were minor considerations.

The canon was the mystery I was chasing, and in the process of doing that unbelieving mud was being slung in my face.

What bothered me most is how obvious some of the writers were that were unbelievers.  They were writing about the Bible like is was a cunningly devised fable, but with disguised language so as to not offend believing, but unintelligent readers. 

They were trying to entertain two audiences, to reel the innocent one in and rob them of their believing that the Word of God is the Will of God. Once the integrity of the Word is undermined in a reader, what's the point of studying the Bible more?  Nefarious at best, IMO.

Why is the NT canon a mystery to you?

what writers were unbelievers?

how did you know they were unbelievers?

how is the integrity of the Bible undermined? 

Canon New Oxford American Dictionary

noun

A collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine

• the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine.
  • the list of works considered to be permanently established as being of the highest quality

Canon Cambridge Dictionary 

noun

The writings or other works that are generally agreed to be good, important, and worth studying.

Canon Merriam-Webster Dictionary

noun

a: an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture

b: the authentic works of a writer

c: a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works

On 10/11/2022 at 1:40 AM, Mike said:

Please check out those posts with T-Bone, because in them I outlined where I want to go on this thread. It will save me the typing. 

I'd like to only contribute some of the Bible verses that helped me in those years when I was hot on this topic of the NT canon. Added to that is what I wrote up then.

Did you have a chance to read 2 Timothy and 2 Peter ?
If so, did you see the abababababa structure I found in 2 Tim?
And the aba structure in 2 Peter?

How does the literary structure of 2 Tim and 2 Pet relate to NT canon?

how can 2 Tim & 2 Pet that were written before Gospels and other books signify the canonicity of books not yet written?

On 10/11/2022 at 10:26 AM, Mike said:

BTW, did you see what I said in the other thread about the canon?
I'm waiting for people to read 2 short Epistles so we can get this ball rolling.

What does GOD say about this canon stuff?
Does anyone want to know?

How do those 2 short epistles initiate the study of the NT canon?

what does God say about this canon stuff?

On 10/11/2022 at 10:49 AM, Mike said:

You are what you eat.
The mentors you trust are aimed at unbelief, just like your posts to me are aimed at that.

What are the names of the mentors you think I trust?

what specific points of these “mentors” aim at unbelief? And what does that mean? Are they targeting unbelief? Wiping out unbelief is a good thing - right?

since it’s not clear what is the aim of the unnamed mentors - it is not clear what you’re saying about the aim of my posts.

Please clarify 

On 10/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, Mike said:

I asked God to show me as I read many years ago.
You might try that and see MUCH more. 
More in those 2 Epistles, and more in the rest of the Bible.

How do you know that is God showing you stuff?

what if it is just you reading your bias into the Bible?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, Mike said:

You got THAT right!

Did you get it yet right yer, that I have had extensive experiences, some of which I detailed here, of when I actually DID un-turn your favored stone of stone-hearted theology, that rivals the Pharisees?

Aren't you the slightest bit curious about what I saw in the Word, in the raw KJV, as I looked for ten solid years?

Maybe someone is.  I can wait.

If you “DID un-turn” stones does that mean you turned it back to the way it was?

what is the “raw KJV” ? Is that before it was put together at the printers? How big was the staging area you had to have to spread out the raw KJV? 

did you work a regular job for those 10 solid years? How many hours a day for this 10-year span would you say you worked on this project? 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, Mike said:

l

I've been reading Bullinger's booklet on the Book of Job.

According to his chronology Job should come right after the Pentateuch, even though it looks like it was written before Moses' writing.  This is new to me THIS WEEK.  See, I am still learning.

Does canon address the order the books are in?

does canon only address whether or not a book is accepted as being inspired of God and has an apostolic source? 

4 minutes ago, waysider said:

Thy words were found and I did eat them...raw.

yikes -use your head! 
Raw meat may contain harmful bacteria including Salmonella, Listeria, Campylobacter and E. coli that can cause food poisoning. These bacteria are destroyed when meat is correctly cooked.

Always pay attention to any public service announcements - like recalls on raw PFAL and other plagiarized stuff. Faux fluff is probably ok. Jiffy might be iffy. And I’d avoid. Almost Pizza if I were you.

25 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Does canon address the order the books are in?

does canon only address whether or not a book is accepted as being inspired of God and has an apostolic source? 

Re: Job

Another thing Bullinger just got wrong, unless Mike is misquoting him. The STORY of Job probably DOES predate the Pentateuch. But the VERSION in the Hebrew Bible was WRITTEN.... no one really knows. It could have been written as late as the book of Daniel, 4th century BCE. (Actually, Daniel is probably later than that.)

And Moses didn't write anything.

The good news is, so what? These details don't affect the meaning one may derive from scripture. They don't matter at all.

**When I have time and I'm not bombarded and can catch up on all these posts and responses and attacks, I will take Bullinger's Four Crucified toilet and clean it sentence by sentence. It will be a real dandy. 

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

No, no, no, NO!!!

The Word = TheBible+Believing+ChristInYou+YourWalk

The will of God is not part of the equation.

I would say that the will(s) of God should be a separate thread, here in Doctrinal.

The 3 levels of the will(s) of God is something I have a feeling for, but no practice explaining it all complete. It's a bit over my head. 

Maybe there already is a thread on this.