GreaseSpot Cafe

26 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Literally, according to usage, the priest is raping the alter boy. 

Christ is there? Isn't he absent?

Faith? Like believing faith? Or the measure of faith that we have?

I don't think I can answer your questions.   My general point is, sin doesn't stop Christ from working and being there for you.  The rape 30 minutes before doesn't stop Christ from doing his work.   In the Roman Catholic faith, they believe his presence is completely substantial (in every form) regardless of the sins of the priest.     

37 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

I don't think I can answer your questions.   My general point is, sin doesn't stop Christ from working and being there for you.  The rape 30 minutes before doesn't stop Christ from doing his work.   In the Roman Catholic faith, they believe his presence is completely substantial (in every form) regardless of the sins of the priest.     

The questions are rhetorical.

Of course, Christ doesn't require ceremony and ritual to do his work. Indeed, his presence is completely substantial.

Let all churches dispense with the antiseptic verbiage of rape apologetics. Let them allow Christ to work through them so that they never again commit the linguistic crime that is "sodomitic session." Let the priestly class stop obfuscating and condescending. Let them describe their activities as they are: Rape.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldiesman said:

I believe Christ works and is willing to work regardless of the sinful or non-sinful state another man may be in.   One example that was conveyed to me is through the Roman Catholic Mass.   The example given to me was pretty crude.    A priest is having a sodomitic session with an altar boy.   Half hour later, they're serving in the Mass.  Does Christ not appear because of that sodomitical act?   NO, He is there.    Why?   Because he loves YOU.    You came to that mass because you want to worship Him, and so, he is going to be there for YOU.     The takeaway is:   Christ works when we have Faith in Him; and it isn't sin that ties his hands, it's the lack of Faith.          

Sodomitic session sounds like something one might register and make an appointment for. No child signs up for rape.

The linguistic acrobatics of rape apologetics are evil. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldiesman said:

I believe Christ works and is willing to work regardless of the sinful or non-sinful state another man may be in.   One example that was conveyed to me is through the Roman Catholic Mass.   The example given to me was pretty crude.    A priest is having a sodomitic session with an altar boy.   Half hour later, they're serving in the Mass.  Does Christ not appear because of that sodomitical act?   NO, He is there.    Why?   Because he loves YOU.    You came to that mass because you want to worship Him, and so, he is going to be there for YOU.     The takeaway is:   Christ works when we have Faith in Him; and it isn't sin that ties his hands, it's the lack of Faith.          

Does the priest have faith in Christ while raping the child? I'll bet he will assure you that he does. He probably has something to teach you, too. All the teaching. All the raping. All the evil.

Edited by Nathan_Jr

1 hour ago, oldiesman said:

But it could cause someone to stumble - see.   Matthew 18 - causing a little one to stumble - what does Christ think about your scenario?!?! ….And reconsider that idea - it hits me as thinking I can sit back and do whatever I want to whoever I want and just let Christ pick up the pieces afterwards 

1 hour ago, oldiesman said:

No one needs or wants the priest who rapes. Christ doesn't. The boy with the torn rectum doesn't.  Let the priests stop with the child f… king.

Wierwille's personal doctrine was "Anything is okay if you can find a way to personally rationalize it."

In contrast, consider, if you will, the words of John Donne:

“No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were; any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 10:13 AM, Mike said:

Somewhere we miscommunicated.

I am not ignoring anything in history.  I simply see the historical approach to the canon as lacking data for the very earliest centuries.   I see the First Century comments by the Biblical writers that do shed light on this period of time. 

BOTH views help us. 

The secular and historical sources are very skimpy on data earlier than the 3rd century. Are you aware of that?

Actually the young minister from city on a hill I’ve been listening to with his cults class addresses this.  There are tons of first century writers.  Not skimpy data at all.

Are you aware of that?

4 hours ago, oldiesman said:

So, you're born again, so you're going to heaven.

According to Mike, regardless of the sins you commit, God will still give you "big jobs".

According to you, Christ "works" and "appears" despite our sins when we have faith.

So, the point of studying the bible and living a good Christian life is...what? To, as Mike claims, amass as many Scooby snacks as we can?

Edited by So_crates

3 hours ago, oldiesman said:

So we are back full circle to Bill Cosby?  He rapes but he saves? Hopefully he saves more than he rapes?

Edited by chockfull

17 minutes ago, waysider said:

On the topic of "Big Jobs":

Wasn't it stated, somewhere in one of the classes, that you can't receive revelation when you're out of fellowship? I guess there must be an exceptions clause that covers "Big Jobs".

Also, something about SIT is a prerequisite for revelation. Keys to walking something something. There was a cartoon that proved it. 

shabba shabba kilimanjaro lo shonta

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

But it could cause someone to stumble - see.   Matthew 18 - causing a little one to stumble - what does Christ think about your scenario?!?! ….And reconsider that idea - it hits me as thinking I can sit back and do whatever I want to whoever I want and just let Christ pick up the pieces afterwards 

According to one method of thinking....

Provided that you're born again, Matthew 18 doesn't apply to you.   Since it was before Pentecost, "the church of God" HAS no penalties.   However, Jesus gave strong warnings and he didn't qualify them.    So, this "sin all you want and God Almighty will give all the Big Jobs and exempt you from punishment" thing is invented-  and the first man who set it up, big surprise, was vpw, who sinned all he wanted, claimed God Almighty gave him the Big Job, and genuinely wondered on his deathbed where he'd stumbled and why he was unable to get healing.    Seriously- DECADES of sin and he couldn't find one.  Then again, he also claimed he'd never taken an aspirin IN HIS LIFE and never taken a sick day IN HIS LIFE. 

There's a story where some Native American is asked what a conscience is.  He replies that it's a 3-cornered thing in here, signalling to his chest. He said that when he did wrong, it turned and the corners hurt him.  But if he KEPT doing wrong, then the corners wore down and it STOPPED hurting.

17 hours ago, WordWolf said:

So, this "sin all you want and God Almighty will give all the Big Jobs and exempt you from punishment" thing is invented- 

There's no exception from punishment that I know of in the RC church, except possible cases of martyrdom.    From what I've heard, the RC Church teaches most all (all without exception) go to purgatory, or hell itself.   It's apparently very rare that someone directly goes to heaven and be with Jesus immediately after death, even when they confess all their sins and be absolved from the priest.   So, pray to Jesus for mercy, and ask to be with Him forever; but you still must go through the cleansing process Jesus set up for you to enter the pearly gates.    Don't ask me how, or where it is in the scriptures because I don't know.   I'm still struggling with this. 

On 11/1/2022 at 4:19 AM, oldiesman said:

There's no exception from punishment that I know of in the RC church, except possible cases of martyrdom.    From what I've heard, the RC Church teaches most all (all without exception) go to purgatory, or hell itself.   It's apparently very rare that someone directly goes to heaven and be with Jesus immediately after death, even when they confess all their sins and be absolved from the priest.   So, pray to Jesus for mercy, and ask to be with Him forever; but you still must go through the cleansing process Jesus set up for you to enter the pearly gates.    Don't ask me how, or where it is in the scriptures because I don't know.   I'm still struggling with this. 

If there were any such thing as a '"cleansing process," why might you (or anyone else) suppose that it so plainly omitted from Heb. 9:27?

...it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment...

10 minutes ago, TLC said:

If there were any such thing as a '"cleansing process," why might you (or anyone else) suppose that it so plainly omitted from Heb. 9:27?

...it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment...

From what I've heard and experienced the RC church doesn't go exclusively with the scriptures for everything; they also consider and obtain information from tradition, popes, counsels, investigations of apparitions, what they believe to be newer revelation, etc.     Am still investigating if there are any scriptures that the RC church relates to purgatory.

9 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

From what I've heard and experienced the RC church doesn't go exclusively with the scriptures for everything; they also consider and obtain information from tradition, popes, counsels, investigations of apparitions, what they believe to be newer revelation, etc.     Am still investigating if there are any scriptures that the RC church relates to purgatory.

Dante's writings are not scriptural... lol.

19 hours ago, TLC said:

Dante's writings are not scriptural... lol.

A Catholic friend just sent me this email.. now gotta do more research why the powers that were, left this book out of the King James and other versions.   Am sure there's an interesting story behind it.  I should have asked VPW why...when he had his arm around me ...   LOLOL

It is a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they might be loosed from sins. — 2 Maccabees 12:4

O God, the Creator and Redeemer of all the faithful, grant to the souls of Your servants and handmaids departed the full remission of their sins, that, through our devout prayers, they may obtain the pardon, which they have always desired, Who live and reign, world without end. Amen.  Collect of the First Mass on All Souls Day from the Roman Missal of Saint Pius V

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen. Prayers for the Bystanders at the Grave from the Roman Ritual of Saint Pius V

It is a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they might be loosed from sins. — 2 Maccabees 12:4

For those interested in Scripture, the bigger picture on its history, and what may have been influential to the ancient authors – you might want to check out  The Encyclopedia of Lost and Rejected Scriptures: The Pseudepigrapha and Apocrypha by Joseph B. Lumpkin  ....I have a hardbound copy and a Kindle version as well…My son was into it before me – and we’ve had a lot of thought-provoking discussions over it...it’s like time-travel in literary form. :biglaugh: