GreaseSpot Cafe

Why PFAL sucks

T-Bone

VPW's statement that the Bible interprets itself is nonsense. The act of interpretation of any text is done by the reader of the text. People interpret what they read. They are the ones who give it meaning. Surely we can see that this is a basic reason for many different denominations. They have different interpretations of Scripture.

People interpret books and make decisions about what the books mean based on lots of factors, such as the times in which the book was written. We're talking about reading literature here.

I'll say the obvious: Bibles are collections of pieces of literature. BTW, some Bibles have different pieces of literature in them compared with other Bibles. 

People who understand what literature is and who were not brainwashed by Wierwille, realize that books don't "interpret themselves." People interpret books.

But because many of us who were vulnerable PFAL students and considered VPW as some great Biblical scholar, when he said that nonsense, many of us believed it. BTW, he's not the only Bible teacher who passes along that thoughtless statement.

In Undertow I show my experience in realizing that books don't interpret themselves, people interpret books. I highlighted that point mainly for readers who were indoctrinated in The Way. Readers who never bought into Wierwille's propaganda know that already.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

Excuse my ignorance here, who was Johnny Townsend?

If I said he was a Wierwille clone it would sound like I was trying to be disparaging, but, I mean it in a more literal sense. He imitated the mannerisms and speech patterns of VPW in a rather extreme way when he taught. To be fair, a lot of us picked up little bits of Wierwille's idiosyncrasies unconsciously. We sometimes put more emphasis on theatrics than content . JT went to the extreme and tried to pull off that "aww, shucks" kind of image. I'm just stating the obvious here. It's embarrassing now to admit but, if we're honest, a lot of us had a tendency to do it, at least to some degree. My first branch leader, on the other hand, was a very straight shooting guy with a rather stoic, academic approach, who was focused on content and relevance. The contrast was stark. Just another red flag I willingly chose to ignore.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, waysider said:

If I said he was a Wierwille clone it would sound like I was trying to be disparaging, but, I mean it in a more literal sense. He imitated the mannerisms and speech patterns of VPW in a rather extreme way when he taught. To be fair, a lot of us picked up little bits of Wierwille's idiosyncrasies unconsciously. We sometimes put more emphasis on theatrics than content . JT went to the extreme and tried to pull off that "aww, shucks" kind of image. I'm just stating the obvious here. It's embarrassing now to admit but, if we're honest, a lot of us had a tendency to do it, at least to some degree. My first branch leader, on the other hand, was a very straight shooting guy with a rather stoic, academic approach, who was focused on content and relevance. The contrast was stark. Just another red flag I willingly chose to ignore.

Thanks!!

40 minutes ago, waysider said:

Flunky see flunky do…don’t think I ever shared this before…not long after I graduated from PFAL , I put on a suit and tie and practiced hand gestures and body language in front of the mirror imagining I was in front of an audience telling them how PFAL can change their life…funny to reflect on that spiel now…I remember being clueless to the fact that PFAL was just the beginning of changing my life for the worse.

Hi, my name is T-Bone and I’m a cult survivor.

34 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Flunky see flunky do…don’t think I ever shared this before…not long after I graduated from PFAL , I put on a suit and tie and practiced hand gestures and body language in front of the mirror imagining I was in front of an audience telling them how PFAL can change their life…funny to reflect on that spiel now…I remember being clueless to the fact that PFAL was just the beginning of changing my life for the worse.

Hi, my name is T-Bone and I’m a cult survivor.

Early on I was so zealous of position. Then I was assigned to the cabinet. Teaching a sts was one of the worst experiences cause it was micro managed down to every word. I had similar aspirations though. Now I realize my walk as a Christian is very personal and not subject to micro management by dunderheads.

Just now, WordWolf said:

JT was also around pretty early, from not long after vpw hijacked the hippies.  Apparently, they recruited him.    JT was quoted back in "The Way-Living in Love".

Gotcha. I need to go read that one again...been a long time...or at least peruse it...not sure I can stomach the propaganda again.

5 hours ago, penworks said:

VPW's statement that the Bible interprets itself is nonsense. The act of interpretation of any text is done by the reader of the text. People interpret what they read. They are the ones who give it meaning. Surely we can see that this is a basic reason for many different denominations. They have different interpretations of Scripture.

People interpret books and make decisions about what the books mean based on lots of factors, such as the times in which the book was written. We're talking about reading literature here.

I'll say the obvious: Bibles are collections of pieces of literature. BTW, some Bibles have different pieces of literature in them compared with other Bibles. 

People who understand what literature is and who were not brainwashed by Wierwille, realize that books don't "interpret themselves." People interpret books.

But because many of us who were vulnerable PFAL students and considered VPW as some great Biblical scholar, when he said that nonsense, many of us believed it. BTW, he's not the only Bible teacher who passes along that thoughtless statement.

In Undertow I show my experience in realizing that books don't interpret themselves, people interpret books. I highlighted that point mainly for readers who were indoctrinated in The Way. Readers who never bought into Wierwille's propaganda know that already.

vpw's entire premise of the Bible interpreting itself was based on a False Dilemma- that there were exactly 2 possibilities AND NO MORE- 

1)  the Bible had no interpretation

2) the Bible interpreted ITSELF

Surely, EVEN IF HE HAD BEEN RIGHT,  no "private' interpretation would have meant there was a "PUBLIC" interpretation.    (That bugged me a long time ago.)

All of that's academic-  since vpw was wrong about what that meant.  Since he used the archaic KJV's wording, he was able to twist things to sound like they meant what he wanted-  even if the Greek was completely different or the Hebrew was. 

In this case, as GSC regulars know, the verses were talking about HOW WE GOT THE SCRIPTURES, their ORIGIN. They said NOTHING about how we are to approach them.  The word "interpretation" was an awful translation- which is obvious when vpw claims that "private interpretation" is "one's own letting-loose like you let loose the dogs on a hunt." There was nothing about "interpreting" in vpw's colorful digression into dogs on a hunt.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Gotcha. I need to go read that one again...been a long time...or at least peruse it...not sure I can stomach the propaganda again.

If you're skimming when looking for him, and you come across a youth mentioning the Army, slow down and go back a page or so- that was JT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, waysider said:

What was it about VPW that made us want to emulate him? Maybe that's really the greatest mystery in the world today.

Ding ding ding ding !!!!    That’s the $64,000 question!

And I’ll take a stab at it.

wierwille was a charismatic cult-leader…and by charismatic – I do NOT mean a movement in the Christian church - I mean he exercised a compelling charm which inspired devotion in others.

In a 2013 digital article “What is character and why it really does matter” on Fordham Research Commons, authors  Thomas A. Wright and Tyler L. Lauer wrote:
“The cult of personality phenomenon refers to the idealized, even god-like, public image of an individual consciously shaped and molded through constant propaganda and media exposure. As a result, one is able to manipulate others based entirely on the influence of public personality. Max Weber long ago referred to this power of personality as ‘‘charismatic authority.’’ It is becoming evident that the charismatic leader, especially in politics, has increasingly become the product of media and self-exposure. At variance with traditional approaches to character that emphasize a moral based framework, the cult of personality perspective focuses on the often shallow, external images that many public figures cultivate to create an idealized and heroic image.”    ( see full article >   here   )

To understand wierwille’s origin story is to peer through the smoke and mirrors of wierwille-mythology and comprehend the fascinating backstory. It is a very complicated narrative unfolding on Grease Spot Café that continues to reveal stuff about a sexual predator, a malignant narcissist, a megalomanic, an unabashed plagiarist, a chain-smoking drunkard, a pathological liar, a money-grubbing-glory-hound thief, and self-deluded cult-leader. If all this is news to anyone then please check out WordWolf’s thread  The Way: Living in Wonderland    ...also in a perceptive post on another thread    PFAL Today    WordWolf  observed that wierwille portrayed himself as a maverick like Jesus Christ, in order to characterize the Establishment, religious authorities and all other Christian teachers as wrong. And for history’s sake don’t forget to read   Skyrider’s thread –  The wierwille legacy: who will write the book?

I cannot emphasize this point enough - a harmful and controlling cult of personality like The Way International is so detrimental to one’s well-being because it is empowered with malignant narcissism. In case you’re not familiar with the term - “Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial behavior, aggression, and sadism. Grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines families and organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.”    

Steven Hassan the author of    Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves     and    Combating Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults     has written another fascinating book about a cult of personalitybut since politics is a no-no on Grease Spot Café I’ll leave it up to you to click on this hyperlink, that has been encrypted to protect the indolent >   The Cult of Orange-Hole: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the Orange-Hole Uses Mind Control

Some other hyperlinks that might be of interest along the lines of why folks might follow cult-leaders:

Psychology Today: Why Do People Follow Bad Leaders?

Psychology Today: Dangerous Cult Leaders: Clues to what makes for a pathological cult leader

Psychology Today: Why Do People Follow Authoritarian Leaders?

Edited by T-Bone
Want Ad for Charismatic Editor: boring typos need exciting revision

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

wierwille was a charismatic cult-leader…and by charismatic – I do NOT mean a movement in the Christian church - I mean he exercised a compelling charm which inspired devotion in others.

I maintain that it was a form of hypnosis ... not unlike that used by demagogues in contemporary or past times.

During hypnosis, a person is said to have heightened focus and concentration[12] and an increased response to suggestions.[13] Hypnosis usually begins with a hypnotic induction involving a series of preliminary instructions and suggestions.

• Like 1

This youtube short from Ryan Holiday (author of several books on Stoic philosophy, including The Obstacle is the Way) stands in stark contrast to the propaganda from Johnny Townsend who I remember expounding on how simple life was for him.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I maintain that it was a form of hypnosis ... not unlike that used by demagogues in contemporary or past times.

I don't doubt that - let's make that 

66. PFAL was a form of hypnosis 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

Do you know which page? There's no index in the book. :spy: I'd love to dig up a quote from Townsend.

Page 234-235, quoting wierwille.

Then Johnny Townsend, another young man who had the class in the army, came here that summer in 1969. He stayed here for two years. Like so many of these young people, he'd rather read than work...

It's like stepping stones--one person to another. There are lots of Christians around, but they don't know what they have in Christ. If someone comes into the ministry, we don't drop them, we stick with them. We never kick anyone out. They kick themselves out, if they want to go, But they're always welcome back.

When I think of Townsend, I always remember hearing him talk about "your basic simple man." 

FACTS regarding what we know now, 50 years later (TW:LIL was first published in 1972) about wierwille's claim demonstrates beyond ALL doubt at the time twi could not deal with life's ambiguities and paradoxes.

Edited by Rocky

TW- LIL  pg-234.

"Then Johnny Townsend, another young man who had the class

in the army, came here that summer in 1969. He stayed here two

years.

Like so many of these young people,

he'd rather read than work.

He learned the Word, and he learned to work and study here.

He'd spoil this, spoil that, and then he'd learn. Now he heads

the state of Kansas, and he is the spiritual coordinator of

the Western Region."

I don't know what the army teaches people about working, but I

get the impression that they work pretty hard there, even in

peacetime. vpw seems to disagree-at least at this moment.

10 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Probably that he made mistakes. Everybody does.

Indeed, everybody does make mistakes.

I've just never heard that expression. To spoil something is to ruin it. Sounds harsh, like condemnation. A curios phrase. Must be a generational thing. Or a midwestern thing. Or both. 

On 10/23/2022 at 7:29 PM, T-Bone said:

62. PFAL endorses a rigid mindset of fundamentalism – and the Christian lifestyle becomes more about having a relationship with a book than with a person.

Do you remember the PFAL session on the fall of man? wierwille contrasted knowledge that comes to us via the five senses as opposed to revelation faith.

He goes into      Genesis 2    and   Genesis 3  . Most Grease Spotters probably still remember the drill on the road down. wierwille’s narrative develops this imaginative and scary scenario of a devilish ploy to slowly demolish “the true Word” – and he insinuates that it is still used today: questioning “The Word”, changing “The Word”, adding a word, etc.

Few details are given – yet wierwille picks Genesis 3 apart like a CSI investigation. What was the forbidden fruit? The Bible doesn’t say. What was the tree of knowledge of good and evil? The Bible doesn’t say. How long was the prohibition to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to be in effect? The Bible doesn’t say.

Since few details are given, one is hard pressed to create a clear and exact picture of what really happened. wierwille’s wooden interpretation of Genesis 3 makes it a simple case of not following the rule book – it’s just a cold, clinical analysis of how he sees God’s relationship with mankind. You’ve got to know the rules. Follow them to the letter. Doesn’t matter what you think or feel. Sounds like a warm relationship doesn’t it? Naw – I don’t think so.

In PFAL wierwille makes a big deal of Eve’s mistake to add words to the prohibition not to eat it – wierwille says that was wrong when she added “and you must not touch it”. I’ve changed my take on that. Perhaps Eve was being overcautious and wanted to make it more difficult to eat the forbidden fruit if she would not even touch it. I think we all do things like this. If someone has a problem with alcohol, they might have some self-imposed rules – don’t have a single drink…don’t even take a taste…avoid bars…etc. someone watching their weight might intentionally NOT look at the dessert menu…avoid fast food restaurants.

Here's another thing. wierwille makes such a big deal about them disobeying God’s Word. But I think that’s a shallow read of the intimate interrelation of God with Adam and Eve. What is disobedience? It’s a failure or refusal to obey rules or someone in authority.

Adam and Eve had a very close working relationship with God – the authority who set up this one rule. Their disobedience was a betrayal of trust - not being loyal to a person – God! It killed their relationship

I think this aspect of PFAL/wierwille’s fundamentalism reduces what is supposed to be a Christian’s transforming relationship with God, down to a one-sided relationship with a book. That “relationship” is not transformative – because the person relies on self-reflection based on how they interpret the Bible. There's no feedback from the author of the book.

There are many places in the Bible that speak of the validation of truth by the Holy Spirit when we consider the words of God and try to follow the message the best we can. The Bible then becomes necessary as facilitating a relationship with God. Of course, that’s just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Speaking of the fall of humankind – I just wanted to add a subset to # 62

62. A. PFAL endorses a rigid mindset of fundamentalism – and may give one a sense of pride and autonomy in “mastering” a book rather than submitting to a higher power.

I’ve been reading a commentary of Genesis and on pages 163ff of    The New International Commentary on the Old Testament Series – Genesis chapters 1-17     it mentions several theories that scholars have proposed as to what the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was.

One suggestion was that it was sexual – to support this theory some scholars point out the couple’s first reaction after eating the forbidden fruit was that they knew they were naked (  Gen. 3:7   ) but the NICOT notes that we would have to apply sexuality to God for    Gen. 3:22   states  And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. 

What also came to mind while reading this was wierwille’s screwy teaching in CF&S that the original sin was masturbation. I’ll tell you what – talk about hidden in plain sight – one way wierwille concealed being a sexual predator and to soften personal boundaries was to teach the class CF&S. Everything is cool – remember he claimed God would teach him the Word like it had not been known since the 1st century…Yeah – no need to be concerned that he’s a perverted old man – he’s a man of God…he’s got the title “doctor” and would never let you forget that.

The man was unabashedly obsessed with sexually explicit and inappropriate stuff and let everyone know it - but put the spin on it that he so renewed his mind that he was above having sinful thoughts.

Back to NICOT…the theory that “the knowledge of good and evil” indicates moral autonomy. The commentary says this view appeals to many OT passages where “good and evil” is essentially a legal idiom meaning to formulate and articulate a judicial decision. So what it’s basically saying:

what is forbidden to humankind is the power to decide for us what is in our best interest and what is not.

Interpreting this Genesis account as an allegory seems to address   the human condition   more directly   . In light of being a cult-survivor I look at this and think about when I was following a cult-leader, I basically followed what the cult-leader said was in my best interest and what was not.

Edited by T-Bone
adding hyped-up hyperlinks :)