GreaseSpot Cafe

Why PFAL sucks

T-Bone

17 minutes ago, So_crates said:

108. Your consolation prize: A marked up bible.

D and Ls

Also

HS and hs

lmao! I used to be so proud of my Cambridge Wide Margin Edition that I had made so many notes in that the notes themselves were mostly unreadeable. I recently purchased a couple Bibles...I promise you they will not have one mark in them made by me.

1 hour ago, So_crates said:

108. Your consolation prize: A marked up bible.

D and Ls

Also

HS and hs

Ha - good one, So_crates!

My son – when he was little would refer to the handwritten notes in my Bible as “writing on purpose”…and come to think about – it’s similar to listening with a purpose questions in the PFAL syllabus…talk about cultic flashbacks! Yikes!

Speaking of writing PFAL notes in the Bible – I found a wide center margin Bible at a Christian bookstore – great for writing notes on the middle of the page. Only downside was it was KJV but no italicized words…me being a natural scribe  :spy:  – I went through the entire Bible comparing the text with the worn KJV Bible with italics that the girl who got me in the class gave to me. Used a black pen to underline every word from Gen to Rev that was italicized in my class Bible. Used other pen colors for “writing on purpose” TWI-notes in the center margin…In ’86 when we left TWI, I sold it at our garage sale before we moved…once and a great while I think about that…probably should have burned it – but don’t think I could do that to a Bible…maybe I should run a general ad:

To whom it may concern, years ago I was financially desperate and sold a Bible with a bunch of handwritten notes of stuff I had learned from my harmful and controlling cult-leader. Hopefully you saw through the pseudo-Christian nonsense like I finally did and it didn’t have such a negative impact on your life. If on the other hand you find yourself still “spellbound” by such baloney, I recommend you check out Grease Spot Café to find out what’s in the awful-sauce of TWI-doctrine.

~ ~ ~ ~

46 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

lmao! I used to be so proud of my Cambridge Wide Margin Edition that I had made so many notes in that the notes themselves were mostly unreadeable. I recently purchased a couple Bibles...I promise you they will not have one mark in them made by me.

Don’t mean to brag, OldSkool    (okay maybe a little  :who_me: ) – but I have 52 Bibles – different versions, some with study notes or commentaries – and I don’t write anything in them. I’m a bit of a study bug – so what I do is write studies in Word docs, iPhone notepad and sometimes handwrite in composition notebook – and I include what particular Bible, page, appendix, illustration, map, etc., the info is from. Sorta like my own home-made collateral :wink2:   You’ve probably noticed the same referencing in my posts. I like to stay organized and try to keep important/meaningful topics where I can find them easily.

I’ve grown quite comfortable with this note-making “system” – cuz Word docs I can change to follow an “update to my belief system” or opinion shift – better than having something permanent written in a Bible…Also a good way to read a familiar passage with fresh eyes – not only in an alternate translation but also I’m not looking at the same old teaching or "research" note next to a passage.

Now commentaries, systematic theologies, Biblical studies that I own I mark up like crazy – highlight – even make my own index at the front to find pages where there was something really significant to a study project. Kindle Bibles and books are great too – especially since my wife says if I buy more books I’ll have to build another wing to the house – but I tell her we could have Twig there too. :biglaugh:

Edited by T-Bone
revision

11 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Don’t mean to brag, OldSkool    (okay maybe a little  :who_me: ) – but I have 52 Bibles

I took all 3000 books in my library to the city dump....you know how long that took on the bus?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Ha - good one, So_crates!

My son – when he was little would refer to the handwritten notes in my Bible as “writing on purpose”…and come to think about – it’s similar to listening with a purpose questions in the PFAL syllabus…talk about cultic flashbacks! Yikes!

Speaking of writing PFAL notes in the Bible – I found a wide center margin Bible at a Christian bookstore – great for writing notes on the middle of the page. Only downside was it was KJV but no italicized words…me being a natural scribe  :spy:  – I went through the entire Bible comparing the text with the worn KJV Bible with italics that the girl who got me in the class gave to me. Used a black pen to underline every word from Gen to Rev that was italicized in my class Bible. Used other pen colors for “writing on purpose” TWI-notes in the center margin…In ’86 when we left TWI, I sold it at our garage sale before we moved…once and a great while I think about that…probably should have burned it – but don’t think I could do that to a Bible…maybe I should run a general ad:

To whom it may concern, years ago I was financially desperate and sold a Bible with a bunch of handwritten notes of stuff I had learned from my harmful and controlling cult-leader. Hopefully you saw through the pseudo-Christian nonsense like I finally did and it didn’t have such a negative impact on your life. If on the other hand you find yourself still “spellbound” by such baloney, I recommend you check out Grease Spot Café to find out what’s in the awful-sauce of TWI-doctrine.

~ ~ ~ ~

Don’t mean to brag, OldSkool    (okay maybe a little  :who_me: ) – but I have 52 Bibles – different versions, some with study notes or commentaries – and I don’t write anything in them. I’m a bit of a study bug – so what I do is write studies in Word docs, iPhone notepad and sometimes handwrite in composition notebook – and I include what particular Bible, page, appendix, illustration, map, etc., the info is from. Sorta like my own home-made collateral :wink2:   You’ve probably noticed the same referencing in my posts. I like to stay organized and try to keep important/meaningful topics where I can find them easily.

I’ve grown quite comfortable with this note-making “system” – cuz Word docs I can change to follow an “update to my belief system” or opinion shift – better than having something permanent written in a Bible…Also a good way to read a familiar passage with fresh eyes – not only in an alternate translation but also I’m not looking at the same old teaching or "research" note next to a passage.

Now commentaries, systematic theologies, Biblical studies that I own I mark up like crazy – highlight – even make my own index at the front to find pages where there was something really significant to a study project. Kindle Bibles and books are great too – especially since my wife says if I buy more books I’ll have to build another wing to the house – but I tell her we could have Twig there too. :biglaugh:

It's not really a good thing, but Im almost completely digital. I am a serious computer nerd and can find most things online digitially or ebay.

13 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

That seems to be a Way survivor thing.

I too collect version of the bible. Study Bibles seem to be a favorite.

I found that Goodwill, at least here, doesn't resell their donated bibles, they give them away.

23 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I took all 3000 books in my library to the city dump....you know how long that took on the bus?

you should have used Nathan's method...it's a lot quicker

366A2E30-A66E-4CE9-8F18-E07945EC1137.jpeg

22 minutes ago, So_crates said:

I found that Goodwill, at least here, doesn't resell their donated bibles, they give them away.

Didn't know that about Goodwill

I check out Half Price Books sometimes

34 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

It's not really a good thing, but Im almost completely digital. I am a serious computer nerd and can find most things online digitially or ebay.

Digital is good...I have some duplicates of printed Bibles on Kindle...only thing I don't like - it depends on the Kindle book - navigation is kinda clunky on some...but I do have some Bible versions on Kindle only - like The Passion and NT Wright's Kingdom New Testament (my 52 count was printed Bibles, Interlinears, Greek NT)  "aw what are you saying - digital don't count?" not at all ... lately due to "printed library reduction act" :biglaugh:  I've been getting more reference books on Kindle - commentaries, syst. theology, philosophy. 

lately for Grease Spot I've been using BibleGateway and Bible Hub websites more - good for copying and pasting passages

Edited by T-Bone
revision

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Digital is good...I have some duplicates of printed Bibles on Kindle...only thing I don't like - it depends on the Kindle book - navigation is kinda clunky on some...but I do have some Bible versions on Kindle only - like The Passion and NT Wright's Kingdom New Testament (my 52 count was printed Bibles, Interlinears, Greek NT)  "aw what are you saying - digital don't count?" not at all ... lately due to "printed library reduction act" :biglaugh:  I've been getting more reference books on Kindle - commentaries, syst. theology, philosophy. 

lately for Grease Spot I've been using BibleGateway and Bible Hub websites more - good for copying and pasting passages

Yeah...ditto on BibleGateway/Hub...great websites for sure.

Kindle is awesome as well. I keep a subscription with them. I just mean maybe digital isnt the best thing in case of a power outage or whatever could come along and interrupt digital...but overall I prefer digital cause of search features, cross references and such. Im not sure one is better, think its more of a preference thing. It could be the rebel in me too because all through my corps training it was always some BS about books being superioir...that was a Rosalie thing though...she actually told the corps during a corps meeting one fine morning that there was something special about the connection between the brain, hand, pen, and paper....she never said what was special about it so I guess you could go whichever way in terms of which definition of special we are using....lol

11 hours ago, So_crates said:

I use Bibleworks software that has quite a number of versions in it as well as other lexical tools that help.

I use Trello for all project notes from home projects to cars to study projects.  Except work stuff usually is either Google docs or hacked OneNote notes.

I still have my Oxford KJV with all the cult notes in it.  I look at it every so often to remind myself what a scribe I used to be not in a good sense.  All the HS hs and also’s marked.  Because it’s more important to do that by hand as an exercise than use an honest modern translation.

:rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, chockfull said:

I use Bibleworks software that has quite a number of versions in it as well as other lexical tools that help.

I use Trello for all project notes from home projects to cars to study projects.  Except work stuff usually is either Google docs or hacked OneNote notes.

I still have my Oxford KJV with all the cult notes in it.  I look at it every so often to remind myself what a scribe I used to be not in a good sense.  All the HS hs and also’s marked.  Because it’s more important to do that by hand as an exercise than use an honest modern translation.

:rolleyes:

Trello is pretty sweet. Thanks for the referral, just set up an account and working on my first board. Cool.

Have any of you guys tried Logos? I use Arch Linux and was going to set it up on a virtual machine to see if I like it or not...but figured I would see if anyone uses it.

https://www.logos.com/

Man - I used Bibleworks forever and a day. Great program. It was extremely useful in-residence, really made study projects way more effecient with all the resources it has.

18 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Man - I used Bibleworks forever and a day. Great program. It was extremely useful in-residence, really made study projects way more effecient with all the resources it has.

what?!?!

they let you use that?

you brought your own computer with you in-residence?

10 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

what?!?!

they let you use that?

you brought your own computer with you in-residence?

Dude....I gave 0 effs about their rules. My computer had all sorts of stuff on it. I couldn't take it to study hall but otherwise it was on and cracking...as they say...lol. Let's see...OldSkool's computer checklist:

- Music Library  - check

- e-Book collection - check

- Bible software - check

- Ripped DVD collection - check

We didn't have internet at Gunnison back then but I would goto the library at Western CO University and unplug a cat5 cable from one of the work stations and get my fresh downloads as I could...I was not a rule follower. Never went by that $30 month crap either. I had a host of credit cards, paid them via the way credit union, and used to wish somebody would say something. If I found out they were snooping in my cradit union account we were headed straight to court. And I know they used to do that dang because that sort of thing happened to my former wife back in way corps 23.

Edited by OldSkool

9 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Dude....I gave 0 effs about their rules. My computer had all sorts of stuff on it. I couldn't take it to study hall but otherwise it was on and cracking...as they say...lol. Let's see...OldSkool's computer checklist:

- Music Library  - check

- e-Book collection - check

- Bible software - check

- Ripped DVD collection - check

We didn't have internet at Gunnison back then but I would goto the library at Colorado State Gunnison and unplug a cat5 cable from one of the work stations and get my fresh downloads as I could...I was not a rule follower. Never went by that $30 month crap either. I had a host of credit cards, paid them via the way credit union, and used to wish somebody would say something. If I found out they were snooping in my cradit union account we were headed straight to court. And I know they used to do that dang because that sort of thing happened to my former wife back in way corps 23.

Damn! I should have been in your Twig. I was subservient to a fault!
See, that’s the difference between lead guitarists and bass players – you guys  NEVER  go by the rules.:biglaugh:

25 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Damn! I should have been in your Twig. I was subservient to a fault!
See, that’s the difference between lead guitarists and bass players – you guys  NEVER  go by the rules.:biglaugh:

I was a rebel without a clue...lol

1 hour ago, waysider said:

Yeah, but bass players MAKE the rules.

(Ok, drummers get a vote on them, too.)

Except when they don’t – what’s that saying Nathan says it works every time 60% of the time.

True story – our band is playing at a TWI-coffee house. I count off a song that I wrote – but I started it too fast – well…the band jumped in anyway – one of the female singers who had the lead vocals, after rushing through the opening verses finally just stopped singing – held up her hand like a crossing-guard – we all stopped…and the band and everyone in the coffee house began cracking up…when the laughter died down – she counted it off at its normal meter and we did the song. For some reason that was one of the sweetest parts of the night and we got a lot of good feedback about it. (feedback from the audience – not the amps :rolleyes:  )

42 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

d@mn you!!! lmao...you already know I was on the way when I read that feedback line...not very punny....lol

go ahead - I dare you to marshall your forces...I am a dah-Fender of my fate

marshal_amps_ms_2_u_mini_amp_practice_am

12 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I really  nervous at how things are stacking up here....lol

Hmmmm you’re acting a little peavey…are you trying to out-vox me ? you’re probably aKustomed to the acoustic properties of a much smaller room. Orange you glad I ampegged for small venues…so don’t Mesa with me or you can just boogie on down the line 6.

I'll have you know my vocabulary goes up to 11. :dance:

9 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Hmmmm you’re acting a little peavey…are you trying to out-vox me ? you’re probably aKustomed to the acoustic properties of a much smaller room. Orange you glad I ampegged for small venues…so don’t Mesa with me or you can just boogie on down the line 6.

I'll have you know my vocabulary goes up to 11. :dance:

Dude....you are the champ....I cant even compete with that ...I feel like I just picked a fight with Mike Tyson...:jump: