GreaseSpot Cafe

Why PFAL sucks

T-Bone

27 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

We encourage people to give to the ministry so there is a free-flowing interchange of financial / physical blessings and spiritual blessings. We stipulated there was a minimum required donation to take PFAL – “donation” as if it were an act of charity. One of the collaterals with the materials of the PFAL was Christians Should Be Prosperous. In it wierwille pushes the idea we should give above the 10% tithe

T-Bone, the reason it was called a donation was to get around tax laws. If they called it a payment then they'd have to charge sales tax and the funds collected would be taxed.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, So_crates said:

T-Bone, the reason it was called a donation was to get around tax laws. If they called it a payment then they'd have to charge sales tax and the funds collected would be taxed.

Yeah, I’m aware of that…I also know a charitable organization - and it varies - according to federal and state laws can be defined as a nonprofit organization that seeks to advance some public benefit – in a broad range of areas such as education, poverty alleviation, scientific research, environment, diversity, religion, and health…I guess on paper it looks like TWI is a charitable organization…just like Scientology...I just think TWI is not interested in advancing any public benefit - just filling their own pockets. :evildenk:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Malachi 3:10 “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it”. ..

And in doing so, he was violating his own "To Whom it is Written" rule.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Oh...yeah...ABS was to be sent to HQ unmolested...lol. it was supposed to be distributed back to the field as there was need but it's a one way flow to HQ. 

So the budgets for Way of USA were set up I think on an 85/15 budget where 15% is supposed to remain local.  

How that plays out is one full time salaried staff (usually both husband and wife working) per region.  And petty cash.

The 85 % goes back to really spiritually critical stuff.

Like forging molten cows I mean Timothy statues, keeping grounds clean, paying lawyers to ensure tax exempt fleecing continues, and constructing large empty auditoriums.  Oh and broadcast quality video equipment to ensure the class cycle continues.  Oh yeah and paying off victims no it wasn’t insurance there was a separate lawsuit they filed against insurance company to try and collect back the money from the Allen settlement.

Edited by chockfull

2 hours ago, waysider said:

And in doing so, he was violating his own "To Whom it is Written" rule.

Wow Waysider – that never occurred to me !!!! 

I think you’ve got reason # 115 of why PFAL sucks…and I’ll cover your stretched coffee tab.

115. Contradictory ideas in PFAL go unnoticed due to the compartmentalization factor of the “PFAL-mindset”.

In a PFAL session wierwille taught the Old Testament was not written to us – from which one can logically surmise the laws, promises, directives, and even the tithing system are not applicable to us. Yet in a class collateral, wierwille pivots by saying something along the lines of us taking advantage of the age of grace so God will do even more for us.

See also Compartmentalization (psychology) - Wikipedia , Compartmentalization | Psychology Today   

Not sure which item number this fits under in this thread.

I have a few pressing projects tying up most of my time these days, especially with the holidays happening.  But I’ve also had more time to think about some things.

It has been a puzzle to me why people are so upset with “The Bible interprets itself,” but I think I am finally understanding some of it.

First let me tell you why I liked it, upon first hearing it.

I am sure I NEVER took it to be literal, but took it as a figure of speech right from the start. And the first thing it told me had nothing to do with the many details that followed, which eventually explained the figure of speech to my complete satisfaction.

What “the Bible interprets itself” FIRST says to me is that there is really only ONE Author of that book.

How I quickly arrived at that, upon my first exposures to the phrase, I’ll leave as a temporary mystery for you all, since I said time is short, especially today.

I probably first heard this phrase from teenagers at my first twig, then 8 weeks later read the PFAL book, and then 4 months later took the film class. We didn’t have SNT tapes then, because they were reel to reel.

*/*/*/*/*

Tell me if I am wrong, but I sense that you all took the phrase to be literal, in the sense that the Bible was like an intricate machine or computer, and that IT did all the work of interpreting, leaving us readers with nothing to interpret.

This reminds me of a joke a couple of my airline friends have told me over the years, and that I hear in the media now at times.  The cockpit area of modern airliners are SO AUTOMATED  that they only need one pilot to fly it, and one dog to accompany him. The dog’s job is to bite the hand of the of the pilot if he tries to touch any of the controls.

I get the impression that the first take you folks had on hearing with “The Bible interprets itself” was the Bible was like a machine that was SO AUTOMATED that we human readers need do nothing for the interpretation.  And if we try, a dog might bite us.

That is like saying, that there are only two possibilities:
either we can perform a private interpretation, or we can perform NO INTERPRETATION at all. And if we want avoid having Tick bite us in the hand, we must choose “no interpretation.”

I have never thought that way.

On first hearing this teaching and then the many details that followed, it was obvious to me that the Bible was not an automated interpreting machine at all.  

It was obvious that I had a lot of work to do (not automated) in order for my interpreting performance to NOT be a private interpretation, but a PROPER interpretation, a rightly-divided interpretation.

The way I avoid a private interpretation is to follow the 80 some pages in the book on HOW the “The Bible interprets itself.”  

If I follow those steps and avail myself of the resources WITHIN the Bible for my interpreting work, that can help me avoid a private interpretation.

A private interpretation is one where I do NOT avail myself of the resources within the Bible for this, but look within MY OWN resources for the interpretation.

*/*/*/*

Another analogy of the false model for understanding  “The Bible interprets itself” is a topic we discussed before.  This false model of an automated Bible, that has the ability to interpret for us like a machine or computer, has befuddled some here, I sense.

This other analogy I have in mind is called a “Formal System” in mathematics that was being discussed in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  A formal system was a theoretical math machine that could prove mathematical theorems and proofs.  It was a theoretical Logic Machine. It could do math jobs that were too difficult for humans to do.

They were using this “math machine” to find and prove all of mathematical truth.  Kinda sounds like a Bible that interprets itself?

Godel’s Theorems in 1933 completely busted this logic machine idea. I was fascinated by Godel before I took the class. Maybe this is why I knew right off the bat that  “The Bible interprets itself” had to be a figure of speech.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

We can always assign this a new number

Reason # 117 of why PFAL sucks

117. true devotees of PFAL become unscrupulous in their efforts to defend it

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I get the impression that the first take you folks had on hearing with “The Bible interprets itself” was the Bible was like a machine that was SO AUTOMATED that we human readers need do nothing for the interpretation.  

I think you’re wrong in your mischaracterization of how students fell for wierwille’s con of the Bible interprets itself. He led us to believe if you follow some simple rules – that he got from Bullinger, you can’t go wrong. There’s a compound problem with wierwille’s plagiarism. He was inconsistent in following someone else’s ideas – sometimes ignoring a key point and sometimes mixing in his own stupid ideas. PFAL students ABSORBED RATHER THAN ANALYZED wierwille’s method for interpreting the Bible.

In Bullinger’s book “How to Enjoy the Bible” Bullinger says in regard to the phrase “of any private interpretation”, is that the little word “of” is genitive of origin – and is simply saying Scripture wasn’t CONCEIVED by anyone’s imagination or personal interpretation. Bullinger goes on from there to cover some basic hermeneutics – which is the study of the methodological principles of interpretation of the Bible. I believe Bullinger got that part right.

In PFAL however, wierwille muddied up II Peter 1:20 and said The Bible should not be privately interpretated – in other words, it’s a no-no to have or offer a personal interpretation or opinion……there is to be no “I think it means this”.    wierwille goes on to say that if no private interpretation is allowed then there is either no possible interpretation or the Bible must interpret itself. If you’ve ever studied logical fallacies, then it shouldn’t surprise you that wierwille’s premise offers PFAL students a false dilemma - also referred to as false dichotomy – it is an informal fallacy based on a premise that erroneously limits what options are available.

Just pause for a moment and think about what an affront that is to logic, linguistics, historians, sociologists, anthropologists, and philosophers – not to mention Bible scholars, translators and textual researchers. We’re talking about a compilation of 66 different books written by 40 different authors over the course of an approximately 1500-year period, using basically 3 different languages, spanning a variety of cultural, political, and geographical settings. Needless to say, wierwille's idea that the Bible interprets itself is silly...absurd...laughable...and I can't believe I actually bought into it at one point in my life. In my defense I will say I was young and naïve. critical thinking schmitical thinking.  

The reason “Scripture interprets itself” is nonsensical – is because it implies no other agency is needed. Consider some definitions from the internet for “interpret”, “translate” and “interpreter”:

Interpret: explain the meaning of information, words, or actions; translate orally or into sign language the words of a person speaking a different language.

Translateexpress the sense of (words or text) in another language; to express in more comprehensible terms: EXPLAIN, INTERPRET.

Interpreter: responsible for facilitating communication between different language speakers by translating information from one language to another for easy comprehension.

Note in all the above definitions there is an intermediary or go-between involved - a person who acts as a link between people of different languages. The ancient biblical manuscripts were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek. A translator of those texts is building a bridge to connect disparate people of another time, culture and language with people of today who speak English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Hindi, etc.

I believe the phrase “scripture interprets itself” is something wierwille erroneously bastardized from Bullinger’s works. In Bullinger’s “How to Enjoy the Bible” the idea is expressed along the lines of these are the keys to approaching exposition of the Bible, paying attention to the verse, context, previous usage, etc.  It’s a given that our cognitive skills are involved rather than expecting inanimate words on a page to do the job. It’s as if Bullinger was saying "To properly understand  and to honestly teach what is the message of a certain passage this is   HOW    YOU   should interpret the Bible". 

Neither Bullinger nor wierwille are the gold standard for interpreting the Bible! Another goofy interpretation principle Bullinger promoted and which wierwille copied was “scripture buildup” – and that’s how Bullinger came up with 4 crucified – and wierwille plagiarized that too!

Maybe you need to reevaluate 4 crucified and a lot of the other suspect doctrines of wierwille and try to have an intellectually honest approach to Scripture instead of trying to insinuate we misunderstood what wierwille taught. What he taught was wrong – end of story!

Edited by T-Bone
revision

17 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I believe the phrase “scripture interprets itself” is something wierwille erroneously bastardized from Bullinger’s works.

Im pretty sure he reworded this statement from the Introduction of How to Enjoy the Bible:

"OPEN THE BOOK"
and let it speak for itself, with the full conviction that if this can be done it can speak more
loudly, and more effectively for itself, than any man can speak on its behalf.

of course Bullinger followed up with this next paragraph:

May the Lord deign to use these pages, and make them to be that "guide" to a better
understanding and a greater enjoyment of His own Word.

Obviously Bullinger wasn't saying the Bible intreprets itself and in fact that phrase isn't found in How to Enjoy the Bible. I have an electronic copy and searched that phrase...its a big 0 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I have a few pressing projects tying up most of my time these days, especially with the holidays happening.  But I’ve also had more time to think about some things.

Riiiiiiiiiight. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It has been a puzzle to me

It has?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

why people are so upset with “The Bible interprets itself,”

No one is upset.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

but I think I am finally understanding some of it.

Again, no one's upset. That's all there is to understand about that.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I am sure I NEVER took it to be literal, but took it as a figure of speech right from the start. And the first thing it told me had nothing to do with the many details that followed, which eventually explained the figure of speech to my complete satisfaction.

Good for you. Sounds like you are quite satisfied with your own private interpretations of victor's verbiage. Bravo! So proud of ya.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

What “the Bible interprets itself” FIRST says to me is that there is really only ONE Author of that book.

Is that your own private interpretation of what it FIRST says to you? Strange. That's not at all what the sentence itself says.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

How I quickly arrived at that, upon my first exposures to the phrase, I’ll leave as a temporary mystery for you all, since I said time is short, especially today.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I probably first heard this phrase from teenagers at my first twig, then 8 weeks later read the PFAL book, and then 4 months later took the film class. We didn’t have SNT tapes then, because they were reel to reel.

So what?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Tell me if I am wrong, but I sense that you all took the phrase to be literal, in the sense that the Bible was like an intricate machine or computer, and that IT did all the work of interpreting, leaving us readers with nothing to interpret.

You're wrong.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

This reminds me of a joke a couple of my airline friends have told me over the years, and that I hear in the media now at times.  The cockpit area of modern airliners are SO AUTOMATED  that they only need one pilot to fly it, and one dog to accompany him. The dog’s job is to bite the hand of the of the pilot if he tries to touch any of the controls.

Ha ha!!  "Airline fiends."

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I get the impression that the first take you folks had on hearing with “The Bible interprets itself” was the Bible was like a machine that was SO AUTOMATED that we human readers need do nothing for the interpretation.  And if we try, a dog might bite us.

You got the wrong impression.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

That is like saying, that there are only two possibilities:
either we can perform a private interpretation, or we can perform NO INTERPRETATION at all. And if we want avoid having Tick bite us in the hand, we must choose “no interpretation.”

That's kinda what "The Bible interprets itself" is saying.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I have never thought that way.

You haven't?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

On first hearing this teaching and then the many details that followed, it was obvious to me that the Bible was not an automated interpreting machine at all.  

We all crawl before we walk. Proud of ya!

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The way I avoid a private interpretation is to follow the 80 some pages in the book on HOW the “The Bible interprets itself.”

More accurately: HOW (H-OW) to interpret the Bible, according to victor's schema. Why is victor's private interpretation better than your own?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

If I follow those steps and avail myself of the resources WITHIN the Bible for my interpreting work, that can help me avoid a private interpretation.

The resources WITHIN? Resources? Within?

Like the "resources" WITHIN a Borges poem, a Steely Dan song, or a Terrence Malick film?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

A private interpretation is one where I do NOT avail myself of the resources within the Bible for this, but look within MY OWN resources for the interpretation.

This makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

It has been a puzzle to me why people are so upset with “The Bible interprets itself,” but I think I am finally understanding some of it.

I read all of you post...but honestly...nothing you say after this sentence is worth reading. Why? Because you set up a straw man and address it as if it's real. Nobody here is upset over anything. If anything you are projecting your upsettedness out onto others who dare challenge wierwille. But seriously...why set up a logic fallacy straight out the gate?

Then you lurk for several days only to come back with the same bullshonta, except you try the strawman approach? Yeah...hows that working out.

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

I believe the phrase “scripture interprets itself” is something wierwille  erroneously  bastardized from Bullinger’s works. In Bullinger’s “How to Enjoy the Bible” the idea is expressed along the lines of these are the keys to approaching exposition of the Bible, paying attention to the verse, context, previous usage, etc.  It’s a given that our cognitive skills are involved rather than expecting inanimate words on a page to do the job. It’s as if Bullinger was saying "To properly understand  and to honestly teach what is the message of a certain passage this is   HOW    YOU   should interpret the Bible". 

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

Im pretty sure he reworded this statement from the Introduction of How to Enjoy the Bible:

"OPEN THE BOOK"
and let it speak for itself, with the full conviction that if this can be done it can speak more
loudly, and more effectively for itself, than any man can speak on its behalf.

of course Bullinger followed up with this next paragraph:

May the Lord deign to use these pages, and make them to be that "guide" to a better
understanding and a greater enjoyment of His own Word.

Obviously Bullinger wasn't saying the Bible intreprets itself and in fact that phrase isn't found in How to Enjoy the Bible. I have an electronic copy and searched that phrase...its a big 0 

Yes - I agree that's why I said wierwille  erroneously   bastardized   Bullinger's works

erroneously = in a mistaken way; incorrectly; Synonyms: amiss, faultily, improperly

bastardized = (of a version of something) lower in quality or value than the original form, typically as a result of the addition of new elements;  SIMILAR: adulterate, corrupt, contaminate, weaken, dilute, spoil,
taint, pollute, foul, defile, debase, degrade, devalue, depreciate

16 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I read all of you post...but honestly...nothing you say after this sentence is worth reading. Why? Because you set up a straw man and address it as if it's real. Nobody here is upset over anything. If anything you are projecting your upsettedness out onto others who dare challenge wierwille. But seriously...why set up a logic fallacy straight out the gate?

Then you lurk for several days only to come back with the same bullshonta, except you try the strawman approach? Yeah...hows that working out.

Sorry, for my strong language.

What word would work for you,  in stead of upset?
How about "concerned" or "against"  or  "in opposition to"

The ideas that follow that sentence have nothing to do with anyone being really upset emotionally. 
I meant intellectually upset, in the sense that you had in your lifestyle of thinking at one time, and then you "up set" it and took it out of your lifestyle of thinking.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Has to be no.42.  If something else had that number, well, it needs a different number.

Because, doncha know, that's the answer to the ultimate question of lifethe Universe, and Everything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Again - nobody is concerned, against, or in opposition to anything. Because you use synonyms doesn't negate the logic fallacy. Disagreement doesn't really have to carry any of these elements. I just simply disagree with no emotional attachement at all. 

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sorry, for my strong language.

The ideas that follow that sentence have nothing to do with anyone being really upset emotionally. 
I meant intellectually upset, in the sense that you had in your lifestyle of thinking at one time, and then you "up set" it and took it out of your lifestyle of thinking.

The interpretation of the sentence "the Bible interprets itself," according to the resources WITHIN the sentence, is: the only valid interpretation of the Bible is victor's.

When one turns away from idolatry and error and makes a free will choice to love God, Truth, one can understand the sinister meaning of this devilish doctrine.

29 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Has to be no.42.  If something else had that number, well, it needs a different number.

Because, doncha know, that's the answer to the ultimate question of lifethe Universe, and Everything.

You really know where your towel is. Watch out for Vogons.

I was in a philosophy class and the professor made the mistake of asking the class, "Haven't you ever wondered what the answer is to life, the universe, everything?"

Without even thinking three of us answered: "42!"

Don't panic. Mostly harmless.

Edited by So_crates

2 hours ago, Mike said:

...and

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

This makes no sense.

Glad you asked for help on this.

"within the Bible" refers to things like "used before" and "context" and "scripture buildup." It could even include subtle things like asking God in prayer for help.  There are lots of things this phrase refers to.  Look at those 80 some pages in the PFAL book to refresh your memory for more examples of what "within the Bible means."

"within MY OWN resources"  refers to my private desire for what I'd like it to say. There are many religious people who think this private desire thing or feeling is God talking to them directly, and that they need not worry much about what the printed words say.  There are many examples of private resources, but like I said, I am short on time these days. Sometimes private resources could mean far out non-Christian religious writings that I personally favor. What these resources all have in common is they all are NOT from within the Bible.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

...and

"within the Bible" refers to things like "used before" and "context" and "scripture buildup." It could even include subtle things like asking God in prayer for help.  There are lots of things this phrase refers to.  Look at those 80 some pages in the PFAL book to refresh your memory for more examples of what "within the Bible means."

In other words, literally letting the bible interprets itself.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

"within MY OWN resources"  refers to my private desire for what I'd like it to say. There are many religious people who think this private desire thing or feeling is God talking to them directly, and that they need not worry much about what the printed words say.  There are many examples of private resources, but like I said, I am short on time these days. Sometimes private resources could mean far out non-Christian religious writings that I personally favor. What these resources all have in common is they all are NOT from within the Bible

Like what Saint Vic did when he stole everyone else's work. He used HIS opinion to decide what was true and what was false.

Edited by So_crates

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

within the Bible" refers to things like "used before" and "context" and "scripture buildup." It

“Scripture buildup” is totally bogus - it depends on what wierwille says is relevant- that’s how Bullinger conjured up 4 crucified - and wierwille copied Bullinger’s stupid trick. 4 crucified is just stupid!

Do you ever wonder why you’ve lost credibility here? Hint: defending blatant error has something to do with it.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

...and

"within MY OWN resources"  refers to my private desire for what I'd like it to say. There are many religious people who think this private desire thing or feeling is God talking to them directly, and that they need not worry much about what the printed words say.  There are many examples of private resources, but like I said, I am short on time these days. Sometimes private resources could mean far out non-Christian religious writings that I personally favor. What these resources all have in common is they all are NOT from within the Bible.

More accurately,

The interpretation of the sentence "the Bible interprets itself," according to the resources WITHIN the sentence, is: the only valid interpretation of the Bible is victor's.

When one turns away from idolatry and error and makes a free will choice to love God, Truth, one can understand the sinister meaning of this devilish doctrine.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

First let me tell you why I liked it, upon first hearing it. 

...  What “the Bible interprets itself” FIRST says to me is that there is really only ONE Author of that book.

Can anyone see how I arrived at this BEFORE hearing the teaching of HOW the Bible interprets itself (80 pages worth in the PFAL book) ?

If the Bible were NOT of one Author, then it could not really interpret itself.  THAT would make the phrase we're discussing ridiculous, if it were true.

Could it be that THIS is the smoking gun for what all the non-upset hoopla is about?  

Do some want the Bible to be NOT of one Author, but of segmented authorship, and no real, together, consistent  "itself" to "do" the interpreting?

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can anyone see how I arrived at this BEFORE hearing the teaching of HOW the Bible interprets itself (80 pages worth in the PFAL book) ?

If the Bible were NOT of one Author, then it could not really interpret itself.  THAT would make the phrase we're discussing ridiculous, if it were true.

Could it be that THIS is the smoking gun for what all the non-upset hoopla is about?  

Do some want the Bible to be NOT of one Author, but of segmented authorship, and no real, together, consistent  "itself" to "do" the interpreting?

Got...

...to...

...make... it...

...FIT!

The Bible doesn't have one author. This is obvious to anyone who has ever studied the Bible.

When you say Author, you me victor's god? Why do you capitalize Author?

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Another straw man argument 

the Bible is coauthored - God inspired humans.

whether one considers the Bible as a single author book or coauthored - it still needs to be interpreted!!!!

what a goofball argument- the only upset hoopla is something you are projecting- you’re probably upset that you’ve worked on this angle for weeks…months …and still no one is buying it…oh well :wave: