GreaseSpot Cafe

Why PFAL sucks

T-Bone

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Actually, I was educating you NOT on calculus, theory of relativity, and wave theory, but on how supposedly original ideas are put together from pieces that are in the wind.

The calculus, theory of relativity, and wave theory stuff that I mentioned is trivial and can be found in any history of science text, no expertise needed.

You are too formal about background credentials, and you deny yourself good knowledge knocking at your door.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Actually, I was educating you NOT on calculus, theory of relativity, and wave theory, but on how supposedly original ideas are put together from pieces that are in the wind.

The calculus, theory of relativity, and wave theory stuff that I mentioned is trivial and can be found in any history of science text, no expertise needed.

You are too formal about background credentials, and you deny yourself good knowledge knocking at your door.

Love the patronizing parent to child tone here lol :rolleyes:

So I need education on how original ideas are put together do I ?

Aaand you are just the exact candidate with the PhD in bro science to step up to the plate?

Well if you call me valuing actual accredited education over correspondence school education, exaggerations and bro science too formal, then that is 100% accurate.  I have personally walked the grounds of the Pikes Peak Bible institute that issued “The Doctor” his doctorate degree.

The only thing knocking at my door in the last 5 years are JWs, magazine sale scammers, trick or treaters or roofing salesmen.  But I did read about some Mormons who don’t believe in Halloween who put out free Books of Mormon in a bowl.  

In my experience good knowledge doesn’t knock at your door you have to seek it out.  YMMV

Edited by chockfull

27 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

“Most of neuroscience has come around to agree with the Bible on man's self aggrandizement of his own consciousness”

What surveys have YOU conducted and what data have YOU reviewed to come up with that?

I have posted on this before.  In 1991 some interesting doors were opened to me at UCSD Cognitive Sciences Department, where  I became a member of a club that met weekly for 2 hours, for 7 years. 

The purpose of this club was for grad students from all departments to brainstorm their ideas together. The leadership of the club included some of the world's top brain scientists from UCSD, the Salk Institute, and the Scripps Institute. 

The club also hosted visits from leading brain scientists from around the world, and I was very lucky to have met them all. I worked many ideas with these people back then, in the 1990s, and have stayed in touch with some of them.

For almost 10 years I have been researching possible deterministic mechanisms for free will in the brain.  Free will is a very difficult topic in science.  It is also difficult to see much about it in the Bible.  I started working on free will, on and off, about 55 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have posted on this before.  In 1991 some interesting doors were opened to me at UCSD Cognitive Sciences Department, where  I became a member of a club that met weekly for 2 hours, for 7 years. 

The purpose of this club was for grad students from all departments to brainstorm their ideas together. The leadership of the club included some of the world's top brain scientists from UCSD, the Salk Institute, and the Scripps Institute. 

The club also hosted visits from leading brain scientists from around the world, and I was very lucky to have met them all. I worked many ideas with these people back then, in the 1990s, and have stayed in touch with some of them.

For almost 10 years I have been researching possible deterministic mechanisms for free will in the brain.  Free will is a very difficult topic in science.  It is also difficult to see much about it in the Bible.  I started working on free will, on and off, about 55 years ago.

This is my impressed look.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I started working on free will, on and off, about 55 years ago.

You did?

Where do you stand now? Free will or determinism?

I'll tell you I am undecided, but I tend to lean towards determinism. Though, I find the issue fascinating, I haven't thought enough about it to discuss. It's all very complex. 

39 minutes ago, So_crates said:

5. Mike's insistence on "teaching" us.

Since when do you teach anybody anything by ramming information down their throat?

I would say that typing out information and posting it, so people can decide for themselves whether they want to read it or not, would be a more civilized way of teaching, than ramming information down their throat would ever be.

I think I will stick to the typing teaching method, and avoid the ramming method. 

Thanks for the tip. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I would say that typing out information and posting it, so people can decide for themselves whether they want to read it or not, would be a more civilized way of teaching, than ramming information down their throat would ever be.

I think I will stick to the typing teaching method, and avoid the ramming method. 

Thanks for the tip. 

You need to get the whole concept of teaching out of your head, that's top dog under dog thinking. Sharing information, however, occurs among equals.

3 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

You did?

I'll tell you I am undecided, but I tend to lean towards determinism. Though, I find the issue fascinating, I haven't thought enough about it to discuss. It's all very complex. 

I tried a whole new approach 10 years ago, where I respect determinism 100%, and then work with how much freedom can a deterministic mechanism provide.

That sounds contradictory at first, but I found that determinism can yield some freedoms as well as form some prisons.

A sailboat exhibits a limited directional freedom from wind direction, yet it it all done with deterministic air molecules and the Bernoulli effect.

I am looking for similar mechanisms in the brain that obey determinism, yet also give us some limited freedoms. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The purpose of this club was for grad students from all departments to brainstorm their ideas together. 

Shame on you for not letting them know how futile their efforts were, in light of not being able to "go beyond what you're taught". 

Edited by waysider
missed a word
  • Upvote 1

I tried a whole new approach 10 years ago, where I respect determinism 100%, and then work with how much freedom can a deterministic mechanism provide.

That sounds contradictory at first, but I found that determinism can yield some freedoms as well as form some prisons.

A sailboat exhibits a limited directional freedom from wind direction, yet it it all done with deterministic air molecules and the Bernoulli effect.

I am looking for similar mechanisms in the brain that obey determinism, yet also give us some limited freedoms. 

I have found determinism can help me to be more compassionate.

11 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

You did?

BTW, I in my science theory on "limited" free will, I use 3 ideas from PFAL on free will that are in the non-suck category. Just thinking of the Topic Police being ready to pounce.

8 minutes ago, So_crates said:

You need to get the whole concept of teaching out of your head, that's top dog under dog thinking. Sharing information, however, occurs among equals.

I think no matter what thinking I do, most posters here are committed to treating me as much lower than an under dog.  There is no way I will be an "equal" here, so why try?  I can drop the armor and discuss things at times with one civil person, meanwhile another poster (or 3) will be sneaking up behind me with an overdog attack on my words to the civil person.

" Sharing information, however, occurs among equals"  is a nice goal.  I can only try to reach it in spurts.

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

You do?

Yes, but I don't get into any Bible stuff.  My theory is for science workers.

I use 3 PFAL ideas, though to guide my mechanism searching and fiddling.

One is that you can't control what thoughts occur to your mind (determinism) but you can control which thoughts lodge there.

Another is that it is bad for people to lose control over their mechanics of speech when SIT.

The third is that a natural man can believe Rom 10:9 with his free will, so that means free will is NOT spiritual.  If human digestion can be explained by science, then so can human free will.  ...in principle, at least.

One of the issues to straighten out is HOW FREE is free will, or what are it's limits.  Traditionally way too much freedom has been assumed by free will advocates.  I am advocating a minimal, weak form of free will.

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

FYI those were rhetorical questions I asked ,Mike - I don’t ever expect to get a straight answer out of you.

I don’t ever believe a word you say

13 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I have found determinism can help me to be more compassionate.

Yes!   I totally agree.  Free will does not always work, and it can be very weak at times.  Lots of factors that we can never see in another person's life.

I see free will like it is a muscle, and often a weak or uncoordinated one.

Just now, T-Bone said:

FYI those were rhetorical questions I asked ,Mike - I don’t ever expect to get a straight answer out of you.

I don’t ever believe a word you say

That is pretty obvious, even though I often do try to give you straight answers. 

But as time goes by and more data comes in, the seeds I plant may take root.

In addition to not believing a word I write, you don't really read or understand them all. But as time goes by ...

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Yes!   I totally agree.  Free will does not always work, and it can be very weak at times.  Lots of factors that we can never see in another person's life.

I see free will like it is a muscle, and often a weak or uncoordinated one.

How about this: free will and determinism are both correct. Free will from a human point of view. Determinism from an eternal point of view.

That is pretty obvious, even though I often do try to give you straight answers. 

In addition to not believing a word I write, you don't really read or understand them all. But as time goes by ...

I doubt it. Fool me once, shame on Saint Vic...

Edited by So_crates

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

BTW, I in my science theory on "limited" free will, I use 3 ideas from PFAL on free will that are in the non-suck category. Just thinking of the Topic Police being ready to pounce.

Well - if YOU say they’re in the non-suck category then I should set up more categories of PFAL suckage

Just now, So_crates said:

How about this: free will and determinism are both correct. Free will from a human point of view. Determinism from an eternal point of view.

I think the feeling of free will is legitimate, and we can expect others to have it also. But I also think that determinism limits that freedom at times.

Aha! That’s where wrong seed comes from! 

get behind me wierwille!

on second thought- get away from my behind