GreaseSpot Cafe

Why PFAL sucks

T-Bone

54 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Awww why not? After 20 years on GSC and after around 125 mostly useless pages across three different threads Mike is ready to post some serious information. I dunno....I might take pflap after he posts...you really wanna be the one who holds me back from the greatest word and hot Bible since the first century? I wouldnt want that on my conscience....bullshonta lo makey seetay terriyake von hibachi.

Maybe I'll start one about translating the Lord's Prayer into glossolalia. That would really grate on wierwille sycophants, what with their hatred for the words Jesus spoke. Maybe I'll even translate some the oldest sayings in the Gospel of Thomas into glossolalia - those sayings predate Paul.

Then I could could derail my own thread with a seminar on inflecting interrogatives while SIT.

Boy, it'll be a dandy... it'll be a waterhead dandy!

Edited by Nathan_Jr

What number are we on? Oh, well...

xx. Teaches you to project as if you were in a movie theater.

Because of black or white thinking, you wind up compartmentalizing your shadow self? After all, in your mind your all good, do all bad stuff must've in someone else, right?

You see that with accusations of others being hostile or others being afraid.

Edited by So_crates

15 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

This scenarios would be comical to say the least. I mean, I really don't take GSC all that serious in the sense that it's an online message board. It serves it's purpose, don't get me wrong, but in the scheme of things posting online isn't serious business. Im more entertained with Mile so called postulates at this point. He comes off very condescending which is likely indicitave of a very largeish wierwillian ego. And he regularly addresses various participants like they just don't know what he's talking about. So --- yeah, entertainment.

That goes for me too!

Grease Spot is great for exchanging ideas and connecting with folks in cyberspace. It’s not like we’re developing an aggregate doctrinal thesis. And as scatterbrained as Mike’s stuff sounds – I tend to think he’s aware of that too - - and it might be he just gets his rocks off by annoying others.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I have posted on this before.  In 1991 some interesting doors were opened to me at UCSD Cognitive Sciences Department, where  I became a member of a club that met weekly for 2 hours, for 7 years. 

The purpose of this club was for grad students from all departments to brainstorm their ideas together. The leadership of the club included some of the world's top brain scientists from UCSD, the Salk Institute, and the Scripps Institute.

I view this statement as little more than Mike trying to establish intellectual high ground. He aleady assumes a fake moral high ground.

1 minute ago, T-Bone said:

- - and it might be he just gets his rocks off by annoying others.

Yeah...the trollish nature of his content sure points in that direction. Many years ago my little brother was messing around on 4chan message baords and such. Horrible stuff on there but upon closer inspection I found several tutorials on how to troll. I have to say Mike pretty much hit most points any troll would utilize, whether they are aware of their actions or not. One can be an unwitting troll as well....so it doesn't always come down to malicous intent.

4 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Mmmmm...refreshments!  Like gin? And snacks?

Nah...mostly Drambuie and Kools....never could understand why the old drunk liked drambuie so much. I mean as a recovering alcoholic I can tell you up front that there's way better choices out there to accomplish the job. Vodka in the freezer for example.

Edited by OldSkool

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I tried a whole new approach 10 years ago, where I respect determinism 100%, and then work with how much freedom can a deterministic mechanism provide.

That sounds contradictory at first, but I found that determinism can yield some freedoms as well as form some prisons.

A sailboat exhibits a limited directional freedom from wind direction, yet it it all done with deterministic air molecules and the Bernoulli effect.

I am looking for similar mechanisms in the brain that obey determinism, yet also give us some limited freedoms. 

Ah yes the Osmonds faced with a similar dilemma sought some freedoms from the deterministic boundaries of country and rock and roll. Are you a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll also?

Or does the Bernoulli effect of your air molecules not allow your sails to unfurl in that direction?

3 hours ago, Mike said:

The purpose of this club was for grad students from all departments to brainstorm their ideas together. The leadership of the club included some of the world's top brain scientists from UCSD, the Salk Institute, and the Scripps Institute. 

Were any of the grad students PhD candidates? Any of the scientists hold a PhD? Did you call them Doctor?

8 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

That goes for me too!

Grease Spot is great for exchanging ideas and connecting with folks in cyberspace. It’s not like we’re developing an aggregate doctrinal thesis. And as scatterbrained as Mike’s stuff sounds – I tend to think he’s aware of that too - - and it might be he just gets his rocks off by annoying others.

What you don’t think Pikes Peak Bible institute is gonna grant us honorary doctorates in homiletic humor?

I am so disappoint.

:jump:

4 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Nah...mostly Drambuie and Kools....never could understand why the old drunk liked drambuie so much. I mean as a recovering alcoholic I can tell you up front that there's way better choices out there to accomplish the job. Vodka in the freezer for example.

I can identify with you on every level here. I was even a professional in the trade. I learned to understand and appreciate a wide variety of wine, beers and spirits, even the ones I didn't like. But Drambuie always baffled me. I could never understand it nor appreciate it. Gross.

19 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Maybe I'll start one about translating the Lord's Prayer into glossolalia. That would really grate on wierwille sycophants, what with their hatred for the words Jesus spoke. Maybe I'll even translate some the oldest sayings in the Gospel of Thomas into glossolalia - those sayings predate Paul.

Then I could could derail my own thread with a seminar on inflecting interrogatives while SIT.

Boy, it'll be a dandy... it'll be a waterhead dandy!

The question is could you program a Google translate engine to go back and forth between glossallalia and various languages.  

I thought I saw they had a Klingon translator engine.

And if you could does that mean you would have a Skynet situation where the machines would be so built up you would see nothing but signs miracles and wonders?

Lo Shanta!

1 minute ago, chockfull said:

The question is could you program a Google translate engine to go back and forth between glossallalia and various languages.  

I thought I saw they had a Klingon translator engine.

And if you could does that mean you would have a Skynet situation where the machines would be so built up you would see nothing but signs miracles and wonders?

Lo Shanta!

These are great questions. I've spent 50 years searching them again. Lot of deep searching again. Started before I was born. I've got lots of notes.

HOWEVER,

My main focus is in.... oh, God! So much BULLSHONTA!!!!

20 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I view this statement as little more than Mike trying to establish intellectual high ground. He aleady assumes a fake moral high ground.

I’m actually going to back out of this line of questioning.  Salk and Scripps institutes on neuroscience do research on disorders.

However Mike is acting is likely due to other things going on that I do not want to delve into for privacy and dignity reasons.

Trying to be funny and humane and prob failing at both lol.

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

So was your attendance in this “club” as a professor, or was it in some form of patient role?

Sounds interesting tell us more.

They allowed me to function in it as if I were a grad student.  I wrote papers and critiques.  They even let me present my mirror riddle solution there.  It was a real education for me, and I met a lot of scientists famous in brain studies.