GreaseSpot Cafe

Why the Intermediate and Advanced Classes Suck

Nathan_Jr

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Everything gives off something…

What in the what in what does actually mean (I do like your "unofficial" explanation btw...lol) and where in the what in what did come from? Sounds like some spiritualism junk...but with wierwille you never know.

50 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

What in the what in what does actually mean (I do like your "unofficial" explanation btw...lol) and where in the what in what did come from? Sounds like some spiritualism junk...but with wierwille you never know.

It seems to me the real question here, what you are really trying to ask is: Lo maka seetay?

Edited by Nathan_Jr

31. wierwille never got around to making  a Drambuie  knock-off called Spirit of Leviathan

Edited by T-Bone
Here’s mud in your third eye

32. You’d think an Advanced Class on nonsense would be more highly developed  nonsense but it’s just the same old baloney at a higher price which doesn’t include traveling expenses and compensation for time off from work

33. Every time the Advanced Class runs - he kicks up his heels…no, I’m not talking about the devil - I’m referring to how much fun wierwille has in the motor coach when the class is not in session.

35. Still confused over the unforgivable sin. Is it confess with your mouth Satan is lord and believe in your heart that Cain rose up against his brother? Or is it admit out loud Craig is Lord of the Dance and tried to out-schtup his daddy in “the word”

Oh, so we’re telling old jokes now. …okay…

A raid uncovered a cache of the enemy’s munitions, and two naval technicians from the explosive ordnance disposal unit have just arrived on site.

What’s our orders?” asked Steve.

“We’re to dispose of all unexploded ordnance.” replies Rob.

Steve says, “Is that all without exception or all without distinction?”

Ba-dump-bump… I’m here all week, folks

Oh, did you hear the one about the guy who didn’t pay off his exorcist’s bill?

He got repossessed.

(I heard that one when I was a WOW, from Rick another WOW in our branch…so there – I’m not a plagiarist – I gave attribution to my source :mooner:  )

9 hours ago, T-Bone said:

34. Why was it everyone wierwille didn’t like was either devil-possessed or born again of the seed of the serpent?

BTW, his idea of "seed of the serpent" never worked on paper, and I was aware of that from my first pfal.  

First of all, they've supposedly been around long before John the Baptist and Jesus, but they're a counterfeit of the post-Pentecost experience.

Second, they indicate a "PERMANENT" placement of a devil inside a person, as in it's imprisoned in the person and can't leave until the person dies.   That's an enormous jump to make- and all of it without any Scriptural justification.

As for everyone he disliked being possessed, none of them evidenced any behavior like seen in the Bible-  having no ability to think without a devil taking over,  attempted suicide and self-harm becomes routine,   etc. 

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

BTW, his idea of "seed of the serpent" never worked on paper, and I was aware of that from my first pfal.  

First of all, they've supposedly been around long before John the Baptist and Jesus, but they're a counterfeit of the post-Pentecost experience.

Second, they indicate a "PERMANENT" placement of a devil inside a person, as in it's imprisoned in the person and can't leave until the person dies.   That's an enormous jump to make- and all of it without any Scriptural justification.

As for everyone he disliked being possessed, none of them evidenced any behavior like seen in the Bible-  having no ability to think without a devil taking over,  attempted suicide and self-harm becomes routine,   etc. 

Great points, WordWolf!

Me being the dullard that I am , didn’t start unraveling this ball of TWIne nonsense until I started questioning stuff. Being an ambitious cub reporter for the T-Bone Inquirer I decided to tackle one of the most problematic theories right after I left. 

What got me going on this was the idea that if the unforgivable sin is such a bad thing to commit then why isn’t there a clear specific prohibition to avoid committing the trespass? 

Don’t commit adultery - I understand what that means

Don’t steal - I understand that.

Don’t lie - I understand that  - sure - I’ve never done it -  :biglaugh:

My goofy logical analysis back then was to theorize that God would not forbid us from doing something that was impossible for us to do. For example “do not leap over tall buildings in a single bound”. It’s inconceivable that any human could commit such a sin. 

That got me going in a few different directions. How did this work in the physical realm? There’s Gnosticism’s preference for a strict separation of spirit and matter - and never the twain shall meet. What does it mean for spiritual seed  to get into a physical body?  That touches on being born again of incorruptible seed too - but that’s a whole other discussion - but I understand that in the same way - being figurative. Craig tried to further TWI-explain the wrong seed by saying it was a permanent wedge installed in the underpants of your mind (I’m speaking completely figuratively and comedically of course). 

Concerning possession , I agree with you on looking for some classic signs of extraordinary physicality like what’s noted in the Bible.

Edited by T-Bone
Being revised again by the wrong editor

36. Advanced Class ripple effect and the unintended consequences of well-meaning Advanced Class grads

I had just taken the PFAL class in ’74 and was caught up in the enthusiasm of some seasoned grads. As a matter of fact, some were Advanced Class grads. They would often share about some of the “heavy stuff” they had learned in the Advanced Class. I’d get excited and would have forked over the money right then and there if they’d let me take the AC next. I sensed there might be some ministry protocols for one’s growth and further enlightenment.    :rolleyes:  

Several of them kept bringing up the WOW program as a good way to grow  - and someone mentioned something Glenn Clark said along the lines of to travel fast and far, travel light. I was 22 years old and still living with my parents. A couple of years earlier I dropped out of college (didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grow up :rolleyes:   ) and the band I was playing in petered out due to artistic differences – I wanted to play more Jazz/Rock fusion stuff and write our own tunes and a couple of the other bandmates wanted to stick with the more or less steady income from playing popular stuff at local gigs.

Let me say right off the bat – I own all the poor choices I made. I have no excuses to offer…but I do have reasons   - while in TWI, I made a lot of poor choices because I was misled to favor TWI’s priorities when deciding over  HOW  I would achieve growth and enlightenment...like any good sales rep, seasoned grads would ask me about my goals and then show me how TWI's classes and programs would help me achieve those goals.

Now, back to pre-WOW time. I wanted to go fast and far…I’ve got to lighten up. Cut the dead weight. The concept of our old man nature fascinated me. I was one of those gung-ho grads. One day I took all my sketch books and notebooks of my songs and poems to a dumpster outside of a restaurant at the Green Acres Mall. Instead of throwing them in our garbage can at home – I might change my mind and retrieve them – so I chose a dumpster some 5 miles away. I bragged about it to the girl that got me in PFAL and the “heavyweights”. I was so proud of my new self.

I got to think more seriously about going WOW. Time to lighten up some more. My prized possessions – a 1971 Fender Jazz Bass that I had customized with a third pickup – a Gibson Humbucker  and a Fender Bass Amp – I gave to a believer who was in a local ministry band.

After WOW, I married my WOW sister (did I mention this was going to be an R-rated post? ..  :biglaugh: ...it's sort of a romance/comedy of errors/ soap opera /cult documentary  Betamax tape limited edition...please be kind and rewind). And we moved to a small town from the suggestion of a Limb coordinator who liked our enthusiasm to move anywhere we were needed.

Do you remember those Uncle Harry Days or Burn the Chaff Days? We were directed to push that in our Twigs. Get rid of stuff that holds you back. Get rid of worldly music and books…get rid of all that stuff that can allow devil spirits to gain entrance into our lives – we hadn’t taken the Advanced Class yet – but we’re not taking any chances – if that’s “The Word” from on high – HQ - then that’s the plan…anyway – you know how Advanced Class grads like to talk it up about all the devilish stuff around us…oh it’s so scary…

Fortunately, we lived just outside of town and the local trash management company was only half a mile from our house. My wife and I hauled all our LPs over there. A combined collection of music/album art of two people from two different states with different tastes in music – LPs we had accumulated all our lives…My first three albums were given to me by my older brother – Beatles Sargent Pepper, Mothers of Invention Freak Out, Four Tops Greatest Hits – along with all the rest of my albums and hers’ – bloop – in the trash heap.

Oh, remember my pre-WOW story of giving away my bass and amp? Bob the  NY bass player later went in the corps…so it’s some 9 years after I went WOW…We had moved again…I was in a local ministry band and we got to play on one of those satellite stages at the Rock…we got to use the equipment from headquarters – and guess what? I got to play on my old Fender Bass…kind of a bittersweet feeling at the time.

Sorry if this seems a little incoherent. I’m just trying to show the ripple effect and unintended consequences of well-meaning Advanced Class grads – it still really sucks.

Edited by T-Bone
the rumple effect of ripples in the washing machine

57 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

One day I took all my sketch books and notebooks of my songs and poems to a dumpster

Great post. I was just as bad...I sold and tossed so much stuff I can never get back. To this day I wish I had the last recording I made before I moved away from NYC and onwards to ministry programs. This particular recording was one where I did a drum machine, bass guitar, keys, accoustic, rhythm and lead guitar (I used a guitar synthesizer for the bass and keys). I felt it was too reflective of my old man nature and too dark to keep. Still kickin myself in the butt.

Kinda cool you were able to meet up with your bass guitar...

Get a load of this: after I tossed my recordings I sold all my gear. My main guitar, which I sold to a life long friend for $375, turned out to be valuable. This particular guitar was a Les Paul Custom Lite Thin body. It was a gold top with pearl in-lays on the fret board, it was a metallic champagne color, and had pin striping all around the body. It was beautiful. However, it was my main road guitar and I had played it in shows for several years both in LA and NYC. It had been abused. I even mounted the guitar synthesizer directly to the body with a drill and mounting screws. Naturally I thought it was a beater and worth little. WRONG! The friend I sold it to contacted Les Paul and spoke to a rep, giving them the serial number. Turns out I had a collectors item. There were only 2500 made and I had one of them and all that damage I put on that guitar was considered "character" by the collector crowd. It was worth, at the time, between $2,500 to $3,500 --- this was 30 years ago. You can imagine what it could be worth today. Yeah...throwing your life away into an abusive cult is not a good idea.

4 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Great post. I was just as bad...I sold and tossed so much stuff I can never get back. To this day I wish I had the last recording I made before I moved away from NYC and onwards to ministry programs. This particular recording was one where I did a drum machine, bass guitar, keys, accoustic, rhythm and lead guitar (I used a guitar synthesizer for the bass and keys). I felt it was too reflective of my old man nature and too dark to keep. Still kickin myself in the butt.

Kinda cool you were able to meet up with your bass guitar...

Get a load of this: after I tossed my recordings I sold all my gear. My main guitar, which I sold to a life long friend for $375, turned out to be valuable. This particular guitar was a Les Paul Custom Lite Thin body. It was a gold top with pearl in-lays on the fret board, it was a metallic champagne color, and had pin striping all around the body. It was beautiful. However, it was my main road guitar and I had played it in shows for several years both in LA and NYC. It had been abused. I even mounted the guitar synthesizer directly to the body with a drill and mounting screws. Naturally I thought it was a beater and worth little. WRONG! The friend I sold it to contacted Les Paul and spoke to a rep, giving them the serial number. Turns out I had a collectors item. There were only 2500 made and I had one of them and all that damage I put on that guitar was considered "character" by the collector crowd. It was worth, at the time, between $2,500 to $3,500 --- this was 30 years ago. You can imagine what it could be worth today. Yeah...throwing your life away into an abusive cult is not a good idea.

Great sharing OldSkool!

:offtopic:

Your one line “I felt it was too reflective of my old man nature and too dark to keep” really resonated with me – thinking about some of the songs and poems I wrote…What’s gone is gone, my friend…but I still have – in memory – and on home authored CDs the music I composed…for me the music…timing…changes are easy to recall cuz that was fun to create…it’s from my own head…yeah - I regret tossing all that stuff…and if I could go back in time I would talk myself into keeping it. Why? Because there’s nothing in them that I’m ashamed of. I didn’t write songs or poems about getting stoned or making love up to 2 times a night    :biglaugh:   I wrote about searching for the meaning of life…finding my soul mate…searching for truth…being honest…

now some of my instrument stuff could get a little weird and dark – I’ve got one tune I call Confusion rounded off to the nearest decibel and alternates between loud and soft and fast and slow – I wrote it in 1972 but it still has meaning for me today…a snapshot into my soul that was lost in darkness…pensive…brooding…bouts of depression…confusion and then frenetic outbursts…I was heavily inspired by the Mahavishnu Orchestra…in the make-believe world of T-Bone’s opening act for  Mothers of Invention and Mahavishnu Orchestra (believe it or not, I saw both acts on the same bill at a concert in Long Island) I would probably have Confusion as my opening number and merely say to the audience before I kick it off – here’s a weird tune I wrote about a dark and confusing time in my life ( which would also include 12 years in TWI :evilshades:    )…my more recent tunes reflect a brighter more upbeat self, free of a cultic mindset, curious and enjoying a simple family life.

:offtopic:      :offtopic:

Hey that’s crazy about your Les Paul ! Have you ever been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My wife and I spent about five hours in there – didn’t see it all – we got tired. I saw one really  rough looking Les Paul guitar. Saw Jack Cassidy’s bass from Jefferson Airplane era – he did the modifications himself – cut out a chunk of the body – put some sheet metal across it to mount more control knobs – wild I tellz yah! Hit it, Jack:

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the Advanced Class that wierwille teaches
Doesn't do anything at all   :dance:

Edited by T-Bone
3rd Typos from the Sun

6 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I wrote about searching for the meaning of life…finding my soul mate…searching for truth…being honest…

Sweet is the melody, so hard to come by. It's so hard to make every note bend just right. You lay down the hours and leave not one trace, But a tune for the dancing is there in it's place.

7 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Hey that’s crazy about your Les Paul ! Have you ever been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Not yet and I live in Cincinnati. My wife and I are planning a Cleveland trip sometime in the near future though and RR-Hall is right at the top of the list.

Didn't know about that bass modification though. Sounds cool asf. Before everything went digital it was more fun imho. People were more creative as well, especially playing around with various sounds, instrument modifications, etc. Anywho...lemme get back on topic before I invoke the wrath of Mods. Sounds kinda like Wrath of Kahn...yeah...I gotta get to work now...lol