GreaseSpot Cafe

7 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I would have happily ordered the lamb's head. The cheeks of any animal are among the best parts - lamb cheeks, halibut cheeks....

Down here we have hog's head cheese. It's not really cheese, but it's really delicious.

I used to eat head cheese, souse meat, boudin, and real cracklins when I lived in Baton Rouge. Love southern food, especially the real deal like you describe. I think you would like Goetta. It's unique to CIncinnati, German of course, and made from ground pork, ground beef, and steel cut oats. Not too many versions around here have scrap meats (but there are some), like Scrapple does; which I love as well. I had never heard of Goetta until I moved to Cincy. Eckerlin Meats has the best version around IMO anyways.

https://www.eckerlinmeats.com/page/goetta

7 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I had never heard of Goetta until I moved to Cincy. Eckerlin Meats has the best version around IMO anyways.

https://www.eckerlinmeats.com/page/goetta

Damn, that looks good! 

7 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I used to eat head cheese, souse meat, boudin, and real cracklins when I lived in Baton Rouge.

As you may remember, some of the best of these are found in gas stations around south Louisiana.

Edited by Nathan_Jr

3 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Damn, that looks good! 

As you may remember, some of the best of these are found in gas stations around south Louisiana.

You can order it online and they will send it vacuum packed and on dry ice. It's worth it. And ditto on gas station in Louisiana. One of the best spots I used to frequent was in the town of Addis, which is near Baton Rouge. Little mom and pop place with a butcher shop and deli inside. They had some of the best grub from fresh cracklins to fresh Jambalaya, or really what ever they made up that day. Most states' gas station food is highly gross...Louisiana bucks that trend in a powerful way.

Edited by OldSkool

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I was watching this television program last night.  There's a contest among chefs, and the winner will get backing and advice so they can open their own restaurant.   The contest is to determine who is most ready for the opportunity- who COULD run a restaurant if given a chance.  Each contestant thinks they're ready to do it, and has their own concept of the restaurant they want to open.

In the very first challenge, they were each given the task of making a single plate of food that embodied their concept for the restaurant.  They were told that one person would be sent home afterwards, the one who performed least well in the challenge. (So, the task was to be making a single plate of food that embodied their concept for their restaurant, and also tasted good, which was obvious to all the contestants.)  Everyone ran around and each prepared a dish.   

A panel of 3 people was presented each dish one at a time. One person on the panel knew the concepts. The other 2 tried the food, gave their thoughts on the quality of the dish, and also speculated on the specific concept of the restaurant, which was compared to the stated concept.

Three chefs ended up performing less well than the others, and the one who performed least was sent home immediately.  He said his concept was "Southern food and ramen." The dish he presented was not Southern food, nor did it contain ramen.  Both guesses to the concept were from judges who could detect no pattern. "The concept is 'a mess.' "

When the chef was sent home, he told the cameramen that the concept was there, but for some reason the judges couldn't see it.  (Um, neither could we, and we were watching from home.)   He refused to accept that the responsibility for clear communication was his, and decided that if there was a miscommunication, it HAD TO be on the recipients because he was SURE he had communicated clearly.  However, he had not- and we have the video recordings to prove it.  It's a poor communicator that communicates vaguely and then blames the audience for not seeing his points.

Great post, WordWolf!

Today we watched one of our daughter’s favorite movies  The Miracle Worker.    

Something in the movie made me think of your post. This brief synopsis will give you an idea of what it’s about – if you’ve never seen the movie:

Young Helen Keller (Patty Duke), blind and deaf since infancy due to a severe case of scarlet fever, is frustrated by her inability to communicate and subject to frequent violent and uncontrollable outbursts. Unable to deal with her, her terrified and helpless parents contact the Perkins School for the Blind for assistance. In response, they send Anne Sullivan (Anne Bancroft), a former student, to the Keller home as a tutor. A battle of wills ensues as Anne breaks down Helen's walls of silence and darkness through persistence, love, and sheer stubbornness, starting by teaching Helen to make a connection between her hand signs and the objects in Helen's world for which they stand.  The Miracle Worker

The sent-home-chef had some cognitive dissonance. Evidently, he couldn’t see that his plate didn’t match his stated goal. There was a mental disconnect between what he had in mind and reality. The judges could see it – but not the sent-home-chef.

In The Miracle Worker, Anne Sullivan helped blind and deaf Helen make the cognitive connection between hand signs and the objects the signs represent. It’s a very moving film – one of my favorite movies too.

Something to think about - the “blindness” that’s caused by a cult’s mindset. For 12 years I became so indoctrinated, my perception was blind to reality because I trusted wierwille to help me make the cognitive connection to everything. Helen had to totally trust Anne – and it’s a good thing Anne was compassionate, dedicated and didn’t take advantage of Helen.

Another thing that resonated with me – was the scene of Anne explaining to Helen’s Parents the reason for her empathy with Helen – drawn from her own traumatic experiences. I thought of Grease Spot and the concern many of us share to help TWI-followers and cult-survivors overcome the blindness of a cult’s mindset.

4 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Benoit's?

Oh hell yeah. That place was the shizzle, period. Used to eat lunch there and get meats and such to carry home to Baton Rouge, where I lived. They had the best cracklins in there.

Background is in order: I was sent to Baton Rouge in 98 as a way disciple and stayed there until august of 2000 when I moved to HQ to do my apprentice year of my way corps training. In BR I did way dsciple and was a fellowship coordinator until I left for HQ. With that out the way. In 99 I helped restore the Bank of Addis, which was badly blighted, and it eventually became a Mueseum in the town of Addis. I am a high end painter and all around carpenter by trade. Another restoration project I managed was the Merci Train in downtown Baton Rouge at the Old State Capitol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_Addis

http://mercitrain.org/Louisiana/

2 hours ago, waysider said:

Question:

If God is not a respecter of persons, why would he give an inferior version of free will to natural man?

He wouldn't do that, nor have I said that would be the case.
If natural man's free will can lead him to the new birth, then it works.

I started my study of natural man's mind because it is observable and with no spirit, there are less complications for the observer to keep track of.  It is the more simple situation, which aids the observing scientist.  Nothing wrong with the natural man or his free will here.

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Hilarious, yet so very dark.

My heart breaks for all who were so deceived and are still under this spell of deception.

Oh...way disciple was all about discipline....that was what Craig added to the mix. Tom Lally told my way d group how they up with the concept. Craig hated the wow program and him and Tom Lally came up with way disciple. Craig hated that people lived the wow lifestyle over and over again. Why I have no idea...I'm sure it traced back to homosexuals or whatever else he was mad at back then. But Craig wanted a program with teeth in it. Cause u know st vic stated the love of God has teeth in it. So they made it as busy, structured, and restrictive as they could. I hated that program...and on my apprentice year ..had to do it again except I was at HQ. That's where my life changed forever because I realized that it was all a facade and always had been.

Just now, Nathan_Jr said:

Another reason why this thread belongs in humor.

I didn't know victor stated this, but it's not hard to believe. Bless his little heart.

Considering all of Mike's contradictory ramblings I'm thinking it should moved to The Dumpster section.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Another reason why this thread belongs in humor.

I didn't know victor stated this, but it's not hard to believe. Bless his little heart.

Oh he said a great many things the way international has spent years, countless hours, and God knows how much money to edit and hide. Love of God having teeth in it is tame in comparison to some of his other outlandish rants. I wasn't there live but I heard most all of it from him and Craig from listening to all the old forbidden way corps tapes in the Gunnison library when I was in-rez. They guaranteed to themselves I would listen to them by declaring them off limits.

5 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Oh he said a great many things the way international has spent years, countless hours, and God knows how much money to edit and hide. Love of God having teeth in it is tame in comparison to some of his other outlandish rants. I wasn't there live but I heard most all of it from him and Craig from listening to all the old forbidden way corps tapes in the Gunnison library when I was in-rez. They guaranteed to themselves I would listen to them by declaring them off limits.

This is all so fascinating to me. Why were they off limits?

11 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

This is all so fascinating to me. Why were they off limits?

Well....they never gave a reason to us plebes....but at the time the Allen lawsuit had been recently settled and I think it's because that's where a boat load of incriminating evidence was. Slander, libel, defamation of character...heck outright character assassination and all sorts of bat $hit crazy claims, many being covered here already.

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

Again, the reality is posters on this thread are TOYING with you, almost certainly because (as has been documented in various comments) nobody is taking your "thesis" seriously... and because it is obvious to everyone (perhaps excluding you) that you're both full of bullshonta and freely posting without honoring either your fellow posters or the (legitimate) owner(s) of the website who make it available for you to publish your "book" without contributing financially. 

• Like 3

Months ago, Twinky noted the possibility that Mike was "on the spectrum."

Others poo poo'd the notion. 

Mike's posting without being able to recognize that people are toying with him on this thread takes us back to Twinky's proposition.

That he can't recognize the realities of social interaction he's in the middle of... AND fancies himself an intellectual in neurology matters, suggests he may indeed have some ASD even if not severe. Obviously, I'm not qualified to diagnose. I'm simply noting my observations of his behavior in our little ecosystem here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I started my study of natural man's mind because it is observable and with no spirit, there are less complications for the observer to keep track of.  It is the more simple situation, which aids the observing scientist.  Nothing wrong with the natural man or his free will here.

Man’s free will leads him? How?

How is man’s mind observable?

Mind = the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought; synonyms:  · intelligence · intellect · intellectual capabilities · mental capacity · brainpower · wits · wit · powers of reasoning · powers of comprehension · powers of thought · understanding · reasoning · judgment · sense · mentality · perception · head · imagination · subconscious · psyche · ego · ratiocination · sanity · mental balance · mental faculties · senses · reason · rationality

How have you been exploring, analyzing, and explaining the mind?

How do you know if there is “spirit” there or not?

Please explain how the mind is less complicated than the “spirit”.

What is “the more simple situation, which aids the observing scientist”?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Mike's posting without being able to recognize that people are toying with him on this thread takes us back to Twinky's proposition.

That he can't recognize the realities of social interaction he's in the middle of... AND fancies himself an intellectual in neurology matters, suggests he may indeed have some ASD even if not severe. Obviously, I'm not qualified to diagnose. I'm simply noting my observations of his behavior in our little ecosystem here.

Definitely plausible ..I've dealt with mental problems ..heck I'm a recovering alcoholic. I get it.

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I usually go by actions and leave it at that

for instance, if i see signs of someone acting like a troll - I may not have a clue as to what motivates them or the status of their mental health - so I just deal with the obvious and point out signs of trolling...I mean what else can I do?

8 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Signs Someone Is Trolling

It can sometimes become difficult to tell the difference between a troll and someone who just genuinely wants to argue about a topic. However, here are a few tell-tale signs that someone is actively trolling.

• Off-topic remarks: Completely going off-topic from the subject at hand. This is done to annoy and disrupt other posters.
  • Refusal to acknowledge evidence: Even when presented with hard, cold facts, they ignore this and pretend like they never saw it.
  • Dismissive, condescending tone: An early indicator of a troll was that they would ask an angry responder, “Why you mad, bro?” This is a method done to provoke someone even more, as a way of dismissing their argument altogether.
  • Use of unrelated images or memes: They reply to others with memes, images, and gifs. This is especially true if done in response to a very long text post.
  • Seeming obliviousness: They seem oblivious that most people are in disagreement with them. Also, trolls rarely get mad or provoked.

The list above is by no means definitive. There are a lot of other ways to identify that someone is trolling. Generally, if someone seems disingenuous, uninterested in a real discussion, and provocative on purpose, they’re likely an internet troll.

•  

Edited by T-Bone
revision
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

How do you know if there is “spirit” there or not?

This right here. If you're unable to define and regulate your control factors and variables, your research is worthless. The best you could hope for would be an observational analysis of your collected data. But, even then..."How do you know if there is “spirit” there or not?"

edit. Oh, silly me. I forgot all about the black heart/white heart thing.

Edited by waysider
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Rocky said:

This phenomenon of BELEEVING and denial has long fascinated and troubled me. If it's ASD or some other mental disorder, would this explain the word vomit of illogic? Do mental disorders cause this level of denial? Can he not help it? Is it all determined? Or, is the denial and irrationality of his own free will?