GreaseSpot Cafe

10 minutes ago, chockfull said:

I’ve seen them a few times back in the day when Peart had a big u shaped setup and a gong, and more recently he had a rotating kit half skins half electronics and he switched back and forth in his solo.  One of the few true masters.

Dang....I'm jealous...lol

8 hours ago, OldSkool said:

He stole that idea from Bullinger as well. Bullinger breaks down the purpose of each gospel in his appendices in the Companion Bible. From there, at some point, the research department put together A Harmony of the Gospels based on Bullinger as well. You likely know this already, but saying it for those who perhaps don't. I enjoyed A Harmony of the Gospels because the syllabus layed out the Gosls in chronological order and you could read it from start to finish and see the chronology and details added from other gospels on the same account. That's about the most value I can ascribe to it. All the other spiritualization that went into it is likely bullshonta based on Bullinger's speculations. Not that Bullinger wasn't brilliant at times. But with Bullinger I feel his approach was throw enough #$%^ against a wall something will stick (old salesman cliche). I look at Bullinger as corrupted by leaven. His hardcore dispensationalism distorts most of what he says, though some of what he says is brilliant at times. 

What was the chronology of the gospels according to Bullinger?

6 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

What was the chronology of the gospels according to Bullinger?

http://www.posterite-d-abraham.org/BULLINGER/append97.html

and all of the appendices:

http://www.posterite-d-abraham.org/BULLINGER/index_companion.html

Edited by OldSkool

6 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Confabulous! Thanks, OS.

So, it looks like he believes Matthew was written first? I think that was the consensus private opinion of his day. That’s what I’m asking.

jakarta kiwi

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Confabulous! Thanks, OS.

So, it looks like he believes Matthew was written first? I think that was the consensus private opinion of his day. That’s what I’m asking.

jakarta kiwi

YW! To be fair, not all of Bullinger's appendices are trash. He was a briliant individual (as were his understudies Charles Welsch for example) who produced a lot of scholarly type work that add insight to scripture and he also produced some bullshonta. Wierwille stole from Bullinger and Welsch copiously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

This is the appendices that A Harmony of the Gospels was sourced from.

http://www.posterite-d-abraham.org/BULLINGER/append119.html

Whew! All that tracking and tabulation. Gosh! Sure, it’s neato, but one might risk paralysis by analysis. And after all that effort for granularity, the Gospels aren’t even written TO him, according to him.

Thank for the link! 

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Whew! All that tracking and tabulation. Gosh! Sure, it’s neato, but one might risk paralysis by analysis. And after all that effort for granularity, the Gospels aren’t even written TO him, according to him.

Thank for the link! 

Yeah, he really is a mixed bag. I cant even call him credible.

16 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Yeah, he really is a mixed bag. I cant even call him credible.

He probably has some good insights. He clearly has the patience and diligence for minute details, but he is not the only theologian to have ever walked the Earth. (For him, walking on Earth is only possible because it's flat.)

It's stupid stuff like flat Earth and four crucified and hyper dispensationalism that cause me not to waste my time. Though, for a minute, I was intrigued by his treatment of the genitive case in one appendix, only to be let down by his omission of objective/subjective. (Maybe he handles that elsewhere.)

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

If everything is determined, that is all outcomes already decided, and we have no free will, the why SIT or pray? If we go according to determinism, it's not like we're going to change anything.

Edited by So_crates
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, So_crates said:

If everything is determined, that is all outcomes already decided, and we have no free will, the why SIT or prsy? If we go according to determinism, it's not like we're going to change anything.

Ditto on "the law of believing".

58 minutes ago, So_crates said:

If everything is determined, that is all outcomes already decided, and we have no free will, the why SIT or prsy? If we go according to determinism, it's not like we're going to change anything.

Some call that fatalism in the context of this debate.
It's one of the reasons this is such a hot debate. 

Determinism and the old, classically defined free will are opposites and you can't have both of them, if you want to avoid fatalism.

For many years I thought the only way out was to have determinism modified, but it is too tough, and too heavily backed by science. So, 9 years ago I changed my approach, and modified the definition of free will a little.

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Determinism and the old, classically defined free will are opposites and you can't have both of them, if you want to avoid fatalism.

For many years I thought the only way out was to have determinism modified, but it is too tough, and too heavily backed by science. So, 9 years ago I changed my approach, and modified the definition of free will a little.

In other words, you have no answer, other than to cheat and change the definition.

Further, if all outcomes are decided, how do we have miracles? Lazarus' fate was decided. But then there was a full reversal.

Edited by So_crates

5 minutes ago, So_crates said:

In other words, you have no answer, other than to cheat and change the definition.

Further, if all outcomes are decided, how do we have miracles? Lazarus' fate was decide. But then there was a full reversal.

Right.  The game is busted, so we dump it.  We change the rules.  That happens every now and then when a tough nut like fatalism refuses to crack.

Do you have a better solution?
If you do it will win you much fame and fortune, because this fatalism has plagued the debate for centuries.

Edited by Mike

11 minutes ago, So_crates said:

Further, if all outcomes are decided, how do we have miracles? Lazarus' fate was decide. But then there was a full reversal.

Determinism is tied to the Laws of Physics.
These Laws actually DETERMINE what happens in the physical world.

When the spiritual world interacts with the physical world a WHOLE NEW SET of laws, spiritual laws, come into play.

This is analogous to how the law of aerodynamics (Bernoulli) can overpower the law of gravity, so airplanes can fly.

Edited by Mike

7 minutes ago, So_crates said:

How about realizing you're on the wrong track and finding another track.

Here's an idea: rather than approaching the problem from a deterministic point of view, how about approaching it from a free will point of view?

Or how about realizing your describing two co-current processes?

Or how about realizing it's all just a way of talking? That rather than either or both exist?

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Determinism is tied to the Laws of Physics.
These Laws actually DETERMINE what happens in the physical world.

When the spiritual world interacts with the physical world a WHOLE NEW SET of laws, spiritual laws, come into play.

This is analogous to how the law of aerodynamics (Bernoulli) can overpower the law of gravity, so airplanes can fly.

You first error, airplanes do not overcome the law of gravity. Gravity still effects them. They utilize aerodynamics and gravity to fly.

1 minute ago, So_crates said:

How about realizing you're on the wrong track and finding another track.

Here's an idea: rather than approaching the problem from a deterministic point of view, how about approaching it from a free will point of view?

Or how about realizing your describing two co-current processes?

Or how about realizing it's all just a way of talking? That rather than either or both exist?

Roger Penrose tries the approach you suggested, and I did too for many years. It just did not go anywhere. I gave up on that approach.

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

In Christian philosophy this is the question about whether or not foreknowledge precedes predestination.  

If it doesn’t it’s fatalism.  The Christian argument is you have full free will but God knows the choices you will make in the future because He is omnipresent with respect to time.

This is the standard argument that is a lot different than the little acrobatics going on in your mind.

4 minutes ago, chockfull said:

In Christian philosophy this is the question about whether or not foreknowledge precedes predestination.  

If it doesn’t it’s fatalism.  The Christian argument is you have full free will but God knows the choices you will make in the future because He is omnipresent with respect to time.

This is the standard argument that is a lot different than the little acrobatics going on in your mind.

Yes!   God's foreknowledge seriously complicates this already tough nut to crack.

Fortunately, Neuroscience and Medicine will not be able to incorporate this foreknowledge complication.

There is nothing in science that can handle the idea of foreknowledge. Even the devil, the former steward of the Laws of Physics, has no handle on foreknowledge.

Edited by Mike

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Roger Penrose tries the approach you suggested, and I did too for many years. It just did not go anywhere. I gave up on that approach.

And how many years have we been trying to figure out how to go faster than the speed of light? Oddly enough, we continue trying.

You can't figure out the rules so you quit. That's not scientific method.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

You are correct.
I said it was only analogous.

Well, it was a bad anology.

We don't overcome the laws of physics, we utilize them to our purpose.