GreaseSpot Cafe

36 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

M: The whole issue of credit and blame comes up in free will debates, especially when political activists are participating.

T: responsibility in any context is important

Mens Rea refers to criminal intent. The literal translation from Latin is "guilty mind." The plural of mens rea is mentes reae. A mens rea refers to the state of mind statutorily required in order to convict a particular defendant of a particular crime. See, e.g. Staples v. United States, 511 US 600 (1994). Establishing the mens rea of an offender is usually necessary to prove guilt in a criminal trial. The prosecution typically must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the offense with a culpable state of mind. Justice Holmes famously illustrated the concept of intent when he said “even a dog knows the difference between being stumbled over and being kicked.”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, waysider said:

Your statement, "The brain is essentially a believing machine. It believes any story you feed it.", is utter nonsense and defies rational thought. Do you ever get dizzy from trying to spin this garbage?

Then there's the question of who's responsible for that which one feeds one's mind (brain).

If Mike's right, how many incarcerated humans in how many countries are no longer responsible for what they did? See my comment above about mens rea.

Mike is FULL of bullshonta.

30 minutes ago, So_crates said:

Jesus told the apostles to breathe in, the text says breathe on. There's nothing about the holy spirit giving you the words or you move your lips and vocal cord.

There's also a passage in Act that describes the sound as a great rushing wind which Saint Vic interpreted as the apostles breathing.

@Nathan_Jr

I myself am hearing the sound of a rushing mighty wind in this thread.

And the wind cries Bullshonta.

686602D4-FCA1-440C-9B47-770735820F02.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Thanks, Socrates.

Gosh, this doesn't sound like anyone teaching how (H-O-W). But, Hey! Anyone can make it MEAN anything they want. Glove fitting.

This is in Acts, right?

If I remember correctly the part about breathing in was in Matthew.

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Since Mike can’t remember, will someone please point me to where Jesus teaches how (H-O-W) to speak in tongues?

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Peek in RHST.  It's all there and in the class.

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I don’t have RHST.

I’ll repeat:

Since Mike can’t remember, will someone please point me to where Jesus teaches how (H-O-W) to speak in tongues?

It appears Mike is not willing to cooperate (he’s being his evasive best  :biglaugh: ) and since I’ve been reviewing both my RTHST and TNDC for several of my posts on the thread Why PFAL sucks, I can tell you right off the bat, wierwille beats around the bush in RTHST,  he goes off on his stupid redefinitions of Greek words dechomai and lambano more than any details on HOW to speak in tongues.

However, in the green book,  The New Dynamic Church, in chapter 10 How to Speak in Tongues on page 117 wierwille says in these excerpts:

Have you ever thought through the mechanics of speech? You with your own vocal organs have to do the speaking. The same mechanics that are involved in speaking English or any other known language are involved in speaking in tongues…

…The only difference between speaking in tongues and speaking in English is that when I say, “I love the Lord Jesus Christ,” I have to think. When I speak in tongues I do not think the words I speak. God gives the words to my spirit, and I formulate them on my lips. I do not think the words, but they are there when I move my lips, my throat, my tongue.

End of excerpts

~ ~ ~ ~

My critique of wierwille’s above instructions involves my recent post in the thread Why PFAL sucks - here

97. wierwille’s tendency to particularize the nebulous, the mysterious, the unknowable, and the incomprehensible 

wierwille’s description of the mechanics and process of speaking in tongues is typical of his affinity to delineate the inexplicable. Although he's actually just describing the mechanics of speech - a student's imagination can assume God is supplying the words. 

He is describing very fine motor skills that any adult who speaks a language is very familiar with. Read the hyperlinks I have below. The trick that wierwille pulls on students is to get them to loosen up on inhibitions. Once a person gets over the fear of making a fool of themself – it’s easy to speak gibberish in front of others. Just use all the parts of speech you use when speaking in your language - except don't think about the sounds you are making...in high school I use to be good at mimicking Russian and Chinese - and my friends said it sounded real. :dance:

One must still engage the brain to think of how to form the lips, tongue, how much to open or close the vocal folds, etc. – if the vocal folds close completely – air cannot pass through. This is called a glottal stop. Many languages utilize the glottal stop to produce consonant sounds.

The most basic principle of speech production is that all sounds are produced by moving air. Air moves from the lungs to the mouth via the throat. The vocal folds (or vocal cords) vibrate as needed. (More on this below.) And then the articulators (mouth, lips, tongue, cheek, palate, etc.) shape specific sounds.

Why do we need to be taught how to speak in tongues? If it’s something of God – we shouldn’t have to be taught. It’s like wierwille’s bogus Great Principle – God who is Spirit, teaches His creation in you, which is now your spirit and blah dee blah blah…where is that stated in the Bible?

Neither Mike nor wierwille know what they’re talking about! 

Read the hyperlinks I have below:

https://www.speechbuddy.com/blog/language-development/a-quick-primer-on-the-mechanics-of-speech/

https://prezi.com/p/ketszfrzz2ox/mechanic-and-process-of-speaking/

http://www.literary-articles.com/2012/03/mechanism-of-speech-process-and.html 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_skill

Organs of Speech – Literature and Humanities

Edited by T-Bone
revision

4 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

wierwille beats around the bush in RTHST,  he goes off on his stupid redefinitions of Greek words dechomai and lambano more than any details on HOW to speak in tongues.

Not just stupid - four-crucified stupid!

Do you know where in the Bible Jesus teaches how (H-O-W) to speak in tongues, as Mike claims?

19 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Not just stupid - four-crucified stupid!

Do you know where in the Bible Jesus teaches how (H-O-W) to speak in tongues, as Mike claims?

Mike may be thinking of page 43 of RTHST, wierwille quotes John 20:22  And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost   

I also remember - maybe in the class  - reference to Acts 2:2  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. and I think wierwille suggested it was the apostles breathing - but the text says the sound came from heaven. 

in the Bible, there is an allusion to Spirit being like the wind...I think whoever "taught" wierwille may have fixated on the "breathed"  and "wind" and assumed that was part of the "ritual" - just a guess

I do know for a fact wierwille was full of hot air

Edited by T-Bone
fatal attempt at humor

10 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

According to victor, was this lower case holy spirit?

And what does this have to do with tongues?

in the book wierwille has written receive [lambano] ye the Holy Ghost [pneuma hagion] - in his explanation wierwille handles it as lower case - holy spirit

what does that have to do with tongues? nothing!

here's a visual aid that might help you differentiate between Big Ghost and little ghost

Halloween-Ghost-Yard-Decoration.jpg&ehk=

Edited by T-Bone
revision

39 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Maybe it was in John? I'm not finding it in Matthew. I wish Mike could remember.

I apologize for the delay: my tablet's battery died.

You're right. It's in John. John 20:22 to be exact.

It only says Jesus breathed in and said, "Receive the holy spirit." All the move your lips, your vocal cords were added by Saint Vic.

I find it very curious that for as important as Saint Vic claims SIT was God left no detailed instructions on how to do it. You'd think Paul would have wrote a paragraph or two at the very least.

8 minutes ago, So_crates said:

You'd think Paul would have wrote a paragraph or two at the very least.

He wrote 3 chapters on it. 

One item that pops up is "The spirits of the prophets are subject unto the prophets."
That shows who has control of the when to do it:  the prophets have the control.  Same with SIT, and how we have control over the  on/off switch and the silent/out-loud switch. 

Edited by Mike

4 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

in the book wierwille has written receive [lambano] ye the Holy Ghost [pneuma hagion] - in his explanation wierwille handles it as lower case - holy spirit

what does that have to do with tongues? nothing!

I thought Jesus didn't have holy  spirit.  That's why Pentecost was so important. That having holy  spirit was something the Jews didn't have. That's the distinguishing feature of those in the family or household. That's how we are to do the greater works.

I could be misremembering.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

One item that pops up is "The spirits of the prophets are subject unto the prophets."
That shows who has control of the when to do it:  the prophets have the control.  Same with SIT, and how we have control over the  on/off switch and the silent/out-loud switch. 

Saint Vic teaching about self-control is like Jeffry Dahmer teaching a cooking class.

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're presenting something different than point blank writing.

Go to Leviticus and Numbers. The Law was important. They were written point blank, no room for guessing what they mean. 

Now go to SIT. Everything the Ministry claims come from sources other than direct statements. As I said, if SIT were so important why isn't anything direct written about it?

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nothing in I Cor. 14 even suggests on/off or volume control. You’re making up bull-Shonta.

Corinthians 14 is merely saying the believers won’t lose control of themselves like how they may have seen in pagan ecstasy rituals 

Edited by T-Bone
Revision

32 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I thought Jesus didn't have holy  spirit.  That's why Pentecost was so important. That having holy  spirit was something the Jews didn't have. That's the distinguishing feature of those in the family or household. That's how we are to do the greater works.

I could be misremembering.

I don’t know - you got me there…averse came to mind God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself…also in Matt 4 and Luke 4 it speaks of Jesus being led by the Spirit into the wilderness-and after that He reads the scroll of Isaiah- the Spirit of the Lord is upon me

10 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I don’t know - you got me there…averse came to mind God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself…also in Matt 4 and Luke 4 it speaks of Jesus being led by the Spirit into the wilderness-and after that He reads the scroll of Isaiah- the Spirit of the Lord is upon me

Maybe that was it. The distinction of on vs in. Jesus had spirit on him but not in him? So much bullshonta... so much... it's hard to keep track.

Anyway, Jesus is absent now. So, there's that. And God has his binoculars, so He can see us from a great distance. So, there's that, too. So much to be grateful for.