GreaseSpot Cafe

Twi does death metal

OldSkool

Death metal is a dying art :rolleyes:

This actually is pretty good - just kinda weird seeing the way they look and knowing it’s way productions - throw in the “satanic” sounding voice    :evilshades:with a touch of Bible ideas - and it’s like playing a PFAL tape backwards…need to find the part where you hear “ I buried victor paul”. 

Edited by T-Bone
Back in the USSR !

3 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Death metal is a dying art :rolleyes:

This actually is pretty good - just kinda weird seeing the way they look and knowing it’s way productions - throw in the “satanic” sounding voice    :evilshades:with a touch of Bible ideas - and it’s like playing a PFAL tape backwards…need to find the part where you hear “ I buried wierwille “

I'd have to start a mosh pit in the auditorium .... from back in my Suicidal Tendencies days....lmao

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

I'd have to start a mosh pit in the auditorium .... from back in my Suicidal Tendencies days....lmao

Ok don’t laugh - few years ago I worked with a guy who is a huge metal fan - he got me to appreciate metal… he made me CDs with topics like metal 101, different types of metal - death, speed, and interesting tangents - jazz is like metal metal is like jazz …I really loved this guy - we often would get into talking Bible stuff too - he’s a Mormon…at the time he did some work for War Beast - doing artwork , marketing T-shirts and their CDs. He dug my humor too - I used to refer to his band as Battle Varmints - he thought it was funny.

Went to The Rail one night to visit with him and listen to his band and other bands . There was a mosh pit - yowzer! 

He warned me to bring earplugs- which I did. Oh God ! As if the bass amp wasn’t loud enough - they had all instruments mic’d thru the PA too besides their amps …I could feel the percussive force of the bass on my chest. Frightening! “You old chest thumper, you!”

Anyway …since then I bought Battle Varmints’   CD,  :biglaugh: and some classics Black Sabbath, Metallica, Anthrax, Creed, Megadeath and newer stuff too - Skrillex, Bassnectar, Monster Magnet etc. they’re on a playlist I titled “you’re getting on my last nerve” which has an icon I made from a lady in a gas mask at Burning Man… alright you caught me - I’ve gone over to the dark side. :evilshades::dance:

That was awesome - awesomely AWFUL!  Who do they expect to listen to this?  Got through the first 58s, fast forward to the guitar solo, then jumped out.  As awful as that bizarre dance routine a while back.

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

That was awesome - awesomely AWFUL!  Who do they expect to listen to this?  Got through the first 58s, fast forward to the guitar solo, then jumped out.  As awful as that bizarre dance routine a while back.

I just listened to the solo...dude's not a shredder though he stayed in the cut with his harmony. I could shred the heck outta that from a solo perspective. I think the entire thing reminds me of that awful dance routine....just a new version...

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Ok don’t laugh - few years ago I worked with a guy who is a huge metal fan - he got me to appreciate metal… he made me CDs with topics like metal 101, different types of metal - death, speed, and interesting tangents - jazz is like metal metal is like jazz …I really loved this guy - we often would get into talking Bible stuff too - he’s a Mormon…at the time he did some work for War Beast - doing artwork , marketing T-shirts and their CDs. He dug my humor too - I used to refer to his band as Battle Varmints - he thought it was funny.

Went to The Rail one night to visit with him and listen to his band and other bands . There was a mosh pit - yowzer! 

He warned me to bring earplugs- which I did. Oh God ! As if the bass amp wasn’t loud enough - they had all instruments mic’d thru the PA too besides their amps …I could feel the percussive force of the bass on my chest. Frightening! “You old chest thumper, you!”

Anyway …since then I bought Battle Varmints’   CD,  :biglaugh: and some classics Black Sabbath, Metallica, Anthrax, Creed, Megadeath and newer stuff too - Skrillex, Bassnectar, Monster Magnet etc. they’re on a playlist I titled “you’re getting on my last nerve” which has an icon I made from a lady in a gas mask at Burning Man… alright you caught me - I’ve gone over to the dark side. :evilshades::dance:

I started playin guitar in 1985. I learned how to play using 80s metal, not the hair band garbage though. I was more into thrash bands --- you named most of them already. For a few years I idolized Randy Rhodes and learned the entire Tribute Album (except 2 songs - No Bone Movies and Revelation-Mother earth - just never liked them) over the course of a few months. I could play his guitar solo as well. Not note for note, but I could burn nearly every song up. I was somewhat of a teen prodigy when I started playing. Music is something that comes really easy to me. From the ages of 13 to 17 or so I practiced around 4 hours or more a day. Used to be extremely dedicated. Im not really into metal anylonger. From Randy Rhodes I got in to Stevie Ray Vaughn and then went to Musicians Institute out in Hollywood Ca. Guitar Institute of Technology. It was a jazz based curriculim and it was one of the best times of my life. I was 18, living at the corner of Sycamore St and Hawthorn, right where the walk of fame starts a block over from LaBrea. When I wasnt out chasing young ladies, messing around on Hollywood and Sunset Blvds (Santa Monica Blvd was all tranny hookers...lol) drinking, mountain biking through the hollywood hills, climbing firescapes late at night, and hanging out on Venice Beach I was playing guitar. Which meant most of my time was dedicated to playing guitar. Played the Sunset Strip too when I was there and in fact all over greater LA. But yeah... I started out playing metal.

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

This actually is pretty good

I have to give credit where it's due...while I can't stomach the song or that style of music anylonger, musically they did good work.

Edited by OldSkool

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

For reference:

6 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I started playin guitar in 1985. I learned how to play using 80s metal, not the hair band garbage though. I was more into thrash bands --- you named most of them already. For a few years I idolized Randy Rhodes and learned the entire Tribute Album (except 2 songs - No Bone Movies and Revelation-Mother earth - just never liked them) over the course of a few months. I could play his guitar solo as well. Not note for note, but I could burn nearly every song up. I was somewhat of a teen prodigy when I started playing. Music is something that comes really easy to me. From the ages of 13 to 17 or so I practiced around 4 hours or more a day. Used to be extremely dedicated. Im not really into metal anylonger. From Randy Rhodes I got in to Stevie Ray Vaughn and then went to Musicians Institute out in Hollywood Ca. Guitar Institute of Technology. It was a jazz based curriculim and it was one of the best times of my life. I was 18, living at the corner of Sycamore St and Hawthorn, right where the walk of fame starts a block over from LaBrea. When I wasnt out chasing young ladies, messing around on Hollywood and Sunset Blvds (Santa Monica Blvd was all tranny hookers...lol) drinking, mountain biking through the hollywood hills, climbing firescapes late at night, and hanging out on Venice Beach I was playing guitar. Which meant most of my time was dedicated to playing guitar. Played the Sunset Strip too when I was there and in fact all over greater LA. But yeah... I started out playing metal.

Man, I bet you're good - I'd love to hear you play! 

I envy you for having some formal music training...I'm self-taught...early on I took a few lessons from a local bass player in The Village Voice - he had a beat up precision bass with a picture of Nixon on the back - and would ham it up on stage - sometimes during the singer's sweet vocals - by flipping his bass around and flashing Nixon to the crowd - yeah guy was weird - stoned most of the time...anyway took a few lessons from him - five bucks a shot - he fell in love with my Fender Jazz Bass and sweet talked me into trading with him and he'd throw in a bunch of free lessons. So, I get home from bass lessons and show my Mom the ratty looking bass - told her about the trade - she goes "Nope your Dad and brother helped you buy that bass - get it back!" which I did. Moms - they're the best! dropped going for lessons after that too.

6 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Man, I bet you're good - I'd love to hear you play! 

Ill run some scales and post it up in a few. I can play, but honestly, it's one of those things where no matter what compliments come or go..I still feel I can't really play the way I want to and I have been around some truly world class musicians and sat at their feet while I was at GIT. But I can hold my own.

8 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

The Village Voice

Ahh! Too funny. I was looking to join a band back in 93 and was back in NYC after LA. Was working as a carpenter and was building a bar at 103rd and Broadway on the upperwest side. So on lunch I go to the Bodega on the corner and get a chicken parm and while I was waiting I ripped an ad out of the Village Voice. That ad led me to the way internationl. The guys I joined up with had all been going to fellowship and stopped before I met them Then within a couple  years they started going again and the rest of my life is history...the name of the band you may ask? Toho Boho - yep from Genesis Tohu Va Boho. As much blow as we were doing we were definately without form and void. However, we had a really popular demo that we recorded over in Hell's Kitchen on 8th Ave and 38th street. We had major label interest as well....we self destructed from the coke though. From there I cleaned up and started chasing all things TWI.

This is one of my old teachers from GIT -- haven't seen or hear from him in 30 years but he is hands down the best classical player I have ever seen or heard live.

http://davidoakesguitar.com/

http://davidoakesguitar.com/Mp3/Black_Orpheus.mp3

Edited by OldSkool

29 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Ahh! Too funny. I was looking to join a band back in 93 and was back in NYC after LA. Was working as a carpenter and was building a bar at 103rd and Broadway on the upperwest side. So on lunch I go to the Bodega on the corner and get a chicken parm and while I was waiting I ripped an ad out of the Village Voice. That ad led me to the way internationl. The guys I joined up with had all been going to fellowship and stopped before I met them Then within a couple  years they started going again and the rest of my life is history...the name of the band you may ask? Toho Boho - yep from Genesis Tohu Va Boho. As much blow as we were doing we were definately without form and void. However, we had a really popular demo that we recorded over in Hell's Kitchen on 8th Ave and 38th street. We had major label interest as well....we self destructed from the coke though. From there I cleaned up and started chasing all things TWI.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
I hate cocaine, but I sure do love the way it smells.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

I have to give credit where it's due...while I can't stomach the song or that style of music anylonger, musically they did good work.

Whoa GIT is legit nice work.  I was a EVH head growing up.  I played a lot in college up to 8 hrs a day have nowhere near those chops now lol.  I’ve played in a few bands.  I remember a friend in college who had a running gig at his house with nothing but Jimi played there.  That was fun too.  As far as that style of music I must admit I went to 5fdp and megadeth recently.  It was awesome and mustaine was on point.

Heres a track of me running some scales, chords, triads, etc over a melodic backing track that I DID not write. Only thing I added was the lead track. Literally no prep or practice just some rough improv...put 0 effort into mix a well...so it's a little rough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Michael Martin doing a Bob Stanley Acts 29 God First cover with scream vocals and double bass drums.

MM is a decent front man and rhythm guitar player has been for decades.  I guess he’s a lot more free in what he puts on stage lol.

He’s not really a lead player in the sense of being able to riff a lot but is playing a good scripted lead in one mode here.

Overall though I mean it fits like an OJ hand in a glove so weird with the suits and ladies drapery.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Whoa GIT is legit nice work.  I was a EVH head growing up.  I played a lot in college up to 8 hrs a day have nowhere near those chops now lol.  I’ve played in a few bands.  I remember a friend in college who had a running gig at his house with nothing but Jimi played there.  That was fun too.  As far as that style of music I must admit I went to 5fdp and megadeth recently.  It was awesome and mustaine was on point.

Cool!! Dave Mustaine is one heck of a songwriter/guitarist and he has always staffed up his band with extremely good musicians. 

4 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Michael Martin doing a Bob Stanley Acts 29 God First cover with scream vocals and double bass drums.

MM is a decent front man and rhythm guitar player has been for decades.  I guess he’s a lot more free in what he puts on stage lol.

He’s not really a lead player in the sense of being able to riff a lot but is playing a good scripted lead in one mode here.

Overall though I mean it fits like an OJ hand in a glove so weird with the suits and ladies drapery.  

Bob's son is in Way P now. I mean they sound better than they have in a long time, and most definately better than under Craiggers and Rosie.