GreaseSpot Cafe

Twi does death metal

OldSkool

8 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Heres a track of me running some scales, chords, triads, etc over a melodic backing track that I DID not write. Only thing I added was the lead track. Literally no prep or practice just some rough improv...put 0 effort into mix a well...so it's a little rough.

Nice shreds.  Are you playing through a multi effects unit?

5 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Nice shreds.  Are you playing through a multi effects unit?

Thanks! Im running a Mexican strat into a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 into my PC running Arch Linux. The effects on my guitar are from Guitarix and I am routing all of that into Reaper DAW to record and mix over the jam track.

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Heres a track of me running some scales, chords, triads, etc over a melodic backing track that I DID not write. Only thing I added was the lead track. Literally no prep or practice just some rough improv...put 0 effort into mix a well...so it's a little rough.

Duuuuude!! Rock on, OS! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Damn!!!! You’re hired!!!!

You sound great!!!! I like your style - I got some Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray V, Frank Zappa, Joe Walsh, and Jack White vibes from your playing

I like what the piano is doing too – that part felt like Black Mill, GoGo Penguin, Hidden Orchestra

Overall the sound was impressive Mars Volta meets Blind Faith meets Frank Zappa meets Muse meets Monster Magnet meets Hidden Orchestra

Downloaded it to my laptop !

42 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Damn!!!! You’re hired!!!!

You sound great!!!! I like your style - I got some Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray V, Frank Zappa, Joe Walsh, and Jack White vibes from your playing

I like what the piano is doing too – that part felt like Black Mill, GoGo Penguin, Hidden Orchestra

Overall the sound was impressive Mars Volta meets Blind Faith meets Frank Zappa meets Muse meets Monster Magnet meets Hidden Orchestra

Thanks!

That piano is on point. I would work the guitar down to a recurring melody with stabs on the piano melody. I love deep sounds like the piano bring to the mix, kinda erie but strong and confident. Could play off that in quite a few ways really. BTW - Im a HUGE David Gilmour fan. So anything in that vain has my attention.

16 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Thanks! Im running a Mexican strat into a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 into my PC running Arch Linux. The effects on my guitar are from Guitarix and I am routing all of that into Reaper DAW to record and mix over the jam track.

SpongeBob here ……

4 hours later ……..

Finally finished looking up this setup.  That seems like some better options than I’ve got going on with a line 6 pod and fruity loops.  

Thx for the inspiration bro 

rock on 

:dance:

10 minutes ago, chockfull said:

SpongeBob here ……

4 hours later ……..

Finally finished looking up this setup.  That seems like some better options than I’ve got going on with a line 6 pod and fruity loops.  

rock on 

:dance:

Yw! I'm kind of on a learning curve with going all digital. I have a fender twin vern and digitech rp355 but don't use them any longer unless I play live. I personally love Reaper for a digital audio workstation. They have windows and Mac versions ... I'm a Linux head from way back but no need to endure the configuration hell that comes with Linux. I'm prob gonna upgrade my audio interface, Beringer to focusrite or moti maybe. Right now I'm going budget routes until I'm a little more clear on what I want to achieve. I am learning to sing so that's been adventure.  Just trying to stay inspired...it's real easy to get bored and not play for a few months...lol

13 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Thanks!

That piano is on point. I would work the guitar down to a recurring melody with stabs on the piano melody. I love deep sounds like the piano bring to the mix, kinda erie but strong and confident. Could play off that in quite a few ways really. BTW - Im a HUGE David Gilmour fan. So anything in that vain has my attention.

Now that you mention David G of Pink Floyd - I say yeah...I forgot about him. My brother got to see them at Fillmore East in early 70s and described one hell of a show with soundscapes and great musicianship - and at one point it sounded like footsteps overhead - walking from one side of the auditorium to the other - crazy man :spy: :biglaugh:

11 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Yw! I'm kind of on a learning curve with going all digital. I have a fender twin vern and digitech rp355 but don't use them any longer unless I play live. I personally love Reaper for a digital audio workstation. They have windows and Mac versions ... I'm a Linux head from way back but no need to endure the configuration hell that comes with Linux. I'm prob gonna upgrade my audio interface, Beringer to focusrite or moti maybe. Right now I'm going budget routes until I'm a little more clear on what I want to achieve. I am learning to sing so that's been adventure.  Just trying to stay inspired...it's real easy to get bored and not play for a few months...lol

No band would ever let me sing...I didn't want to anyway - cuz I can't sing...if only there was some class that guaranteed I would manifest by session 12 :biglaugh:

37 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Nice.  I’ve got a small fender frontman for acoustic and low volume gigs.  I’ve gone into the board direct with the Line 6 POD it does decent for a variety of sounds that almost get you where you want to go lol.  I’ve hand built a few tones on the POD that I kinda can live with but other times I’m like f all that gimme my Frankenstein Charvel and a pedal or two into any decent tube amp.

I will prob end up with a EVH III head for gigging because I’m a Eddie head and lower options.  

Oh and bro I feel so attacked with that not play for a few months reference lol that is so totally me.  I am so streaky with cycles.

3 hours ago, chockfull said:

Nice.  I’ve got a small fender frontman for acoustic and low volume gigs.  I’ve gone into the board direct with the Line 6 POD it does decent for a variety of sounds that almost get you where you want to go lol.  I’ve hand built a few tones on the POD that I kinda can live with but other times I’m like f all that gimme my Frankenstein Charvel and a pedal or two into any decent tube amp.

I will prob end up with a EVH III head for gigging because I’m a Eddie head and lower options.  

Oh and bro I feel so attacked with that not play for a few months reference lol that is so totally me.  I am so streaky with cycles.

Im thinking that Frankenstein Charvel and pedals/tube amp has a pretty sweet sound. I used to love Charvel...very underrated IMO. EVH really engineered a very worthy sound for himself over the years so most anything produced with the specs he came up with should be pretty sweet. I kind of had the same relation with Ampeg once Lee Jackson got in the mix. He used to produce Metaltronix heads that were all solid state and they were awesome...had one with a half stack cabinet - Marshall with 4 12" in it. Then Ampeg hired him and Ampeg took on new life. Of course they had Zakk Wylde advertising them but he did use them as his main head. I had one in the 90s and actually wish I still had it. With the Ampeg versions he modified they were solid state/tube mix and had an awesome sound. You could either do solid state, mixed tube/solid state, or stright tubes on the clean channel and add your own effects board.

Dude - I've been streaky for years with my music. If I am working with a group I am the most committed individual you will find but If I am on my own? geezz....may be an extended hiatus...lol

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Now that you mention David G of Pink Floyd - I say yeah...I forgot about him. My brother got to see them at Fillmore East in early 70s and described one hell of a show with soundscapes and great musicianship - and at one point it sounded like footsteps overhead - walking from one side of the auditorium to the other - crazy man :spy: :biglaugh:

Man...never saw them live at all....really wish I had the opportunity. Actually, I declined going to see them on Delicate Sound of Thunder tour in 87. Big mistake there. They weren't metal enough for my little juvenile mind back then....lol

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

No band would ever let me sing...I didn't want to anyway - cuz I can't sing...if only there was some class that guaranteed I would manifest by session 12 :biglaugh:

I never thought I could until I started following along with a coupld expert vocal coach types. Ken Tamplin and Kegan DeBoheme. They both sell courses for professionals or serious enthuisiasts and I have been doing just fine with all their free offerings....no singing in tongues here...lol

18 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Im gonna use this track to mess around in Reaper, my recording software, and will arrange a few guitar tracks with a lead. Ill post it up when Im done. I can't get that piano out of my head and can hear a lot of melodic options to mess around with. This will get me back on the guitar and off the mic somewhat..lol...kinda sounds like kicking a dog somedays learning how to sing...or burning a cat...but either way Im starting to get it..lol

4 hours ago, chockfull said:

On another note, if you do invest the time and energy to go digital and decide to get an audio interface -- I would go with either Focusrite or Motu. Little bit more $$ but worth it because the preamps are better and they both do better with latency, which is how many fractions of a second the sound takes to travel digitally to your output device. Forgive me if I am insulting your intelligence by stating that but I paid he77 getting a straight answer out on the interweb. Im probably gonna upgrade soon to either or.

Focusrite:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=focusrite&crid=24314BZZW1CUT&sprefix=focusrite+s%2Caps%2C474&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Motu:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=motu+audio+interface&crid=28LG3RFOZLMPO&sprefix=motu+audio+inter%2Caps%2C1121&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

5 hours ago, OldSkool said:

On another note, if you do invest the time and energy to go digital and decide to get an audio interface -- I would go with either Focusrite or Motu. Little bit more $$ but worth it because the preamps are better and they both do better with latency, which is how many fractions of a second the sound takes to travel digitally to your output device. Forgive me if I am insulting your intelligence by stating that but I paid he77 getting a straight answer out on the interweb. Im probably gonna upgrade soon to either or.

Focusrite:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=focusrite&crid=24314BZZW1CUT&sprefix=focusrite+s%2Caps%2C474&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Motu:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=motu+audio+interface&crid=28LG3RFOZLMPO&sprefix=motu+audio+inter%2Caps%2C1121&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Awesome I was checking out the focusrite seems pretty versatile.  Yeah I got you on the latency reference when you are laying tracks the delays in transmission add up its a better cleaner end product with lower latency.

Nice sound on the dream track too sounds awesome.

Just now, chockfull said:

Awesome I was checking out the focusrite seems pretty versatile.  Yeah I got you on the latency reference when you are laying tracks the delays in transmission add up its a better cleaner end product with lower latency.

Nice sound on the dream track too sounds awesome.

Thx!

You guys are "playing in tongues," right?  I don't understand a word you're saying.  OldSkool's guitar solo sounded pretty good, though.

This band, especially the singer is really good at barking and growling. Hopefully they are also good at wagging their tails, especially the singer. My advise to them is "wag more, bark less". I use this figurative wording in one of the chapters of my biblical teaching book named "Lordship of Jesus Christ Contrasting the Lordship of Imperfect Man". I originally wrote the first draft of this chapter years ago as I was leaving TWI.

Paul, Peter, John, Timothy, Titus, or any of the other followers and laborers of Christ are ever called lord in the New Testament. They were never given the title Reverend, thus separating them from other believers. In fact, the word reverend is never used in the New Testament in any versions of the bible that are quoted from in this book. The only usage of the word reverend is in Psalms 111:9 from the (KJV) and (ASV). This usage exalts the Lord God. However, this Hebrew word with 328 usages in the Old Testament as represented by Strong’s OT:3372 is mostly used in a negative way and is often translated as fear, feared, afraid or terrible. I wonder, should we fear a person with the title Reverend? Perhaps only if they have a security guard who is big and strong. I could simply tell them to please be peaceful and follow the example of Jesus Christ. I might even tell them to wag more, bark less, while really liking dogs. When I meet dogs, I often want to pet them, as long as they wag their tales and don’t bark.  

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

5 hours ago, Twinky said:

You guys are "playing in tongues," right?  I don't understand a word you're saying.  OldSkool's guitar solo sounded pretty good, though.

Yeah jargon talk is pretty much tongues to someone who isn’t familiar with the jargon lol.

sorry i geeked out on gear for a minute lol.