GreaseSpot Cafe

Anonymous mischief

Twinky

12 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

It was a hypothetical point about how at some point, TWI should be nobody's business.  

I'm sorry - I forgot to read your mind...and I assume you'll want me to ask for permission to read your mind

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

I think you’re too broad in your brush strokes. How threats are perceived is relative. If I put myself in the frame of mind I had when I was in TWI – the internet would be the greater threat – I’d probably say it was the devil’s playground…worldly.

But being free of TWI’s manipulative influence and having some confidence in my ever-developing cognitive skills, I read, watch, listen to stuff that I choose and process it the way I choose. I see TWI and any other con game as a threat if someone is not aware of their tricks.

. . .

Then I would hope you understand how isolation works.  The internet is a tool for isolation.

One way is information gets posted . . . read by those new to this information . . . who in turn push away those trying to leave . . . there's a word for that 

It's impersonal, the internet.

China uses social media for control.  So does Zuckerberg.  North Korea also sucks.  

2 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Then I would hope you understand how isolation works.  The internet is a tool for isolation.

One way is information gets posted . . . read by those new to this information . . . who in turn push away those trying to leave . . . there's a word for that 

It's impersonal, the internet.

China uses social media for control.  So does Zuckerberg.  North Korea also sucks.  

12 years in TWI - yeah, I know how isolation works.

I don't mean to egg you on - but you come across as extremely paranoid in these posts. I don't know how you expect me to respond or what I should say. 

If you're that paranoid about the internet, open forums, Grease Spot, TWI, feeling like you are not free due to strings attached - then why are you posting here?

18 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

The internet is a tool for isolation.

And it's also a tool for bringing people together.  Choose your venue carefully.

You don't have to use the internet; to read anything or everything that people post; you don't have to join groups you have no interest in but conversely you can join in conversations with people locally, nationally, or even worldwide, who enjoy some activity you enjoy.  In fact, you can also use the internet to find local groups of your favoured activity/ies and go and interact with real live human beings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

What do you mean by that expression?

That's when people post to the internet and the other people read the posts and distance them from other people still so as not to catch the cooties the internet warns about.  I mentioned I was affected repeatedly before ever looking into the internet about TWI.  I was having arguments with the internet without going on the internet.  Those people had no business.

It is often posted these cites have some sort of effect on TWI.  That's fantasy.  That's speaking in tongues to stop the adversary.

These cites can and do harm non-leadership.  The internet has been part of the chaos.  That's irresponsible.

You'd think if people just wanted a therapy group they'd make it a closed group.  

People with one on one relationships with those in TWI I think would be better equipped to help.

1 minute ago, Twinky said:

And it's also a tool for bringing people together.  Choose your venue carefully.

You don't have to use the internet; to read anything or everything that people post; you don't have to join groups you have no interest in but conversely you can join in conversations with people locally, nationally, or even worldwide, who enjoy some activity you enjoy.  In fact, you can also use the internet to find local groups of your favoured activity/ies and go and interact with real live human beings.

I think you misunderstand me, Twinky.

40 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

It was a hypothetical point about how at some point, TWI should be nobody's business.  

But TWI makes it everybody's business with their evangelizing and proselytizing and gaslighting and abusing and stealing and destroying. I wish they could keep their business to themselves, but they can't and won't.

The pressures to sell "the class" is one way they make it EVERYBODY'S business. I married a woman who was born into a TWI/CORPS family. I never condemned, nor questioned, her beleeefs. They just never really came up, or else I just lovingly tolerated the silliness. But the pressure to bend my knee to victor became seemingly insurmountable at some point. In an effort to keep the peace and do whatever it took to save a marriage I was gaslighted to believe I ruined, I took "the class" and attended fellowship with an open mind and heart.

Before I took "the class," my life was replete with what many here would call signs, miracles, wonders and revelation. I'm embarrassed to even mention this, because I never considered any of this miraculous or special or worthy of boasting, which I'm painfully trying to avoid right now. Since a very young age, I experienced countless healings - physical, mental, spiritual - and had never been to a doctor or had a vaccine. My life was full of love and joy and contentment and professional success and gratitude. All my needs were met. I walked in the light of the Love of God.

But the proselytizers of TWI couldn't keep their shonta in their own toilet. They had to share it with me by force. They had push my face into their shonta. TWI made their business my business. And their business is destruction. So, fvck them for destroying my life!

They should have kept their business to themselves. 

Thank God for GSC, open forums, and free speech.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

That's when people post to the internet and the other people read the posts and distance them from other people still so as not to catch the cooties the internet warns about.  I mentioned I was affected repeatedly before ever looking into the internet about TWI.  I was having arguments with the internet without going on the internet.  Those people had no business.

It is often posted these cites have some sort of effect on TWI.  That's fantasy.  That's speaking in tongues to stop the adversary.

These cites can and do harm non-leadership.  The internet has been part of the chaos.  That's irresponsible.

You'd think if people just wanted a therapy group they'd make it a closed group.  

People with one on one relationships with those in TWI I think would be better equipped to help.

The internet isn't an autonomous being. The internet can't be responsible for abuse or stupidity.

People are responsible for how they act. People are responsible for being stupid and cruel. People are responsible for how they digest and assimilate information they read. The internet is not responsible, people are.

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, Bolshevik said:

I'll try to clarify for you what we were discussing before.

When I was building "new communities" there was a problem with the internet being new.   I was not involved online.   Others read. Others reacted.  I was cut because of that. 

I had waited and waited to legally leave TWI.

There are closed communities.  I know they exist.  Where those matters stay contained.

The narratives that develop online aren't necessarily good fits offline.

Thanks for explaining some.  It comes in pieces to different questions not all at same time I know.

To rephrase you were a minor in TWI restricted from leaving until you turned 18.

When you could legally leave you tried to find a Christian group to connect with.  This group was not trusting of you getting involved due to rumors surrounding TWI.

All of those rumors are stirred up to the top of Google search despite the Ways attempt to drown it out with meaningless filibustering sister sites.

So our discussion here could potentially hurt people’s lives if they are negotiating a quiet exit.  I can understand and accept that.  

I would personally have to balance that against the perceived numbers of those potentially seeking an exit but are too bound up by Way doctrine and mentality as I used to be.  Maybe they don’t care and can’t be helped anyway.

Also I don’t have a fellowship in my home town with the same interesting friends I have here on GS.  There are different friends there.

To all those seeking a quiet exit, maybe you could learn from quitmormon.org.  They have forged a clear path through there for an org with similar tactics and delusions.

43 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

The internet is more impersonal.  In this sites case we have documented history of way leadership action trying to take it down, attack it legally, pull shenanigans.

I actually don’t agree with you in censoring or restricting comment to only those who have a current one on one relationship with someone in TWI.  Even if their personal connection can minister more or better.

Being away from that influence and continuous lock step call and response as a control measure is probably the only thing that has allowed me free deep thought.  

Having no outside influence or control or input is one of the main problems of the Way and one that ensures them not improving ever.

This brings up a good point also though.  Boundaries.  I usually don’t bring up my history with The Way in Christian circles unless I know someone well.  I don’t overshare.  This used to be a problem but over hundreds and thousands of interactions with Christian brethren it is wisdom to me.

TMI for most convos.

Edited by chockfull

9 minutes ago, chockfull said:

I usually don’t bring up my history with The Way in Christian circles unless I know someone well.  I don’t overshare.  This used to be a problem but over hundreds and thousands of interactions with Christian brethren it is wisdom to me.

TMI for most convos.

Yeah, me too.  When I joined my current church, people who are now good friends told me they thought I was weird at first.  I'd rather they thought I was weird, than knew that I actually was! 

And TBH, I was pretty out there.  Scared to tell anyone my name and address for the church membership booklet.  Took me a long time to realise no-one was out to persecute, condemn or control me, but genuinely wanted to help.

Even now, nobody in my own church knows my history.  The most I've ever said is that I was in an abusive church relationship - the church abused me, and others.  Nobody has ever asked for details.  Only one person knows the depth of it, and that's because he was the Safeguarding Officer (to whom any kind of abuse within his church is to be reported and is stringently followed up on) for a different church - I thought he might be a safe person to talk to and somebody in no way able to "hurt" me.  However, from that, and other things, we have now developed a close personal relationship.  It's been healthy to be able to talk about it with a safe person.

So yeah, I kinda get how Bolshy-one would find it difficult to fellowship outside TWI with any Christian group.  He'd be really suspicious of them and their motives - and if they knew of TWI and its tactics, they'd be suspicious of him and whether he was going to try to "convert" them.

Bolshy - you are safe to let your hang-ups hang out here.  We know and understand.  But you might find it helpful to find a trusted confidant, friend (professional or otherwise) to physically talk with.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

The internet isn't an autonomous being. The internet can't be responsible for abuse or stupidity.

People are responsible for how they act. People are responsible for being stupid and cruel. People are responsible for how they digest and assimilate information they read. The internet is not responsible, people are.

The Way International is not an autonomous being.  

Corporations are people though, right?

3 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

The Way International is not an autonomous being.  

Corporations are people though, right?

I don't think I suggested TWI is an autonomous being.

Corporations are abstract entities. They may be comprised of and operated by people. They may just exist on paper.

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

12 years in TWI - yeah, I know how isolation works.

I don't mean to egg you on - but you come across as extremely paranoid in these posts. I don't know how you expect me to respond or what I should say. 

If you're that paranoid about the internet, open forums, Grease Spot, TWI, feeling like you are not free due to strings attached - then why are you posting here?

What is the likelihood this will be here in 20 years?

I honestly thought it would be gone a decade ago.

2 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I don't think I suggested TWI is an autonomous being.

Corporations are abstract entities. They may be comprised of and operated by people. They may just exist on paper.

Well the internet is people, interacting in an unnatural way.

It's run by people.  Maintained by people.  Used by people.

You and I don't know each other and never will.  This interaction we're having, shooting symbols via electronic gizmos and assuming something like ourselves is out there . . . 

Our interactions in the cult were not real, Twig face to Twig face.  Fake.

That's where Twig and Internet are similar.  

21 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

You and I don't know each other and never will.  This interaction we're having, shooting symbols via electronic gizmos and assuming something like ourselves is out there . . . 

Ok.

Indeed, a lot of content on the internet, especially, social media, is fake, inauthentic, bull$hit. This is true, factual. But not all internet content is bull$hit.

Being able to discern the bull$hit is important. Only we can discern for ourselves. I can't rely on the people responsible for their content to discern it for me.

And, yes, much fakery and deception in twig. Discerning this fakery is our responsibility, just as it's the responsibility of the twig leaders to vomit the fakery, or not.

But my interactions with the people in twig were definitely real. Even if they were real fake. Not sure what you mean by this.

What do you think is the answer to all this deception and bull$hit? 

Interaction is what you make of it.

During the Covid crisis, a lot of people went to church via Zoom/Skype.  (Some still do.)

I've chatted with a lot of people online. I've met a few offline, later, and made some friends.

Mrs Wolf and I met online and communicated a lot. We're married now.

So, you and I don't know each other and never will-  but we could choose to, as did myself and the Mrs.

44 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

What is the likelihood this will be here in 20 years?

I honestly thought it would be gone a decade ago.

I don’t know - I’m a terrible prognosticator - and apparently you are too :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Communication has come a long way since oral tradition…is scribbling words / symbols on a cave wall or papyrus natural?

Granted - every mode of communication has limitations when compared to face-to-face. What are viable options for two people who know each other are separated by distance? 

Let’s reconfigure the analysis to consider more factors of how we all got to doing things in an unnatural way. Have you ever read “Guns, Germs, and Steel” by Jared Diamond? It is a trans-disciplinary non-fiction book. Fascinating book attempting to explain what the influence of geography, genetics, technology had on shaping societies and migration. One could argue either way - was it all a natural development or unnatural.

A simpler concept is thinking about the impact of evolutions/revolutions in transportation, technology, communication, etc…families are spread out - across the country- across the globe…instead of me marrying a high school sweetheart from New York or the girl next door, I married my WOW sister - she’s from Texas - we met in DC. After 46 years we’re still married - just not married to TWI anymore :rolleyes:

I don’t think ALL my interactions in a cult were unreal. Certainly me trying to be a sales rep for PFAL was make-believe preaching. But my feelings for my WOW sister/future wife are not fictitious.

I do remember putting on Twig-face for Twig. My wife used to get on me about being sweet to everyone at Twig but being a royal a$$-hole to wife and kids when Twig is gone. Now Post-TWI  I try to be less of an a$$-hole to my family - and if I have any strength left over I will try to be sorta nice to strangers.I’ve got new priorities now  :rolleyes:  And my wife has the patience of a saint :who_me:

I could see Twig being similar to the Internet- in that just like being a poser in a pseudo-Christian cult , one could be a poser on the Internet.

I wonder if there is such a thing as inadvertently gaslighting. Maybe you don’t intend to manipulate others to question reality…to doubt the validity of their thoughts, their perception, whatever…but that does appear to be what you're trying to do  - considering your challenges, questions, opinions and how people respond to you…I’m not questioning your intentions as much as I’m wondering if this kind of interaction is what you wanted.

Edited by T-Bone
Typos

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Communication has come a long way since oral tradition…is scribbling words / symbols on a cave wall or papyrus natural?

Granted - every mode of communication has limitations when compared to face-to-face. What are viable options for two people who know each other are separated by distance? 

Let’s reconfigure the analysis to consider more factors of how we all got to doing things in an unnatural way. Have you ever read “Guns, Germs, and Steel” by Jared Diamond? It is a trans-disciplinary non-fiction book. Fascinating book attempting to explain what the influence of geography, genetics, technology had on shaping societies and migration. One could argue either way - was it all a natural development or unnatural.

A simpler concept is thinking about the impact of evolutions/revolutions in transportation, technology, communication, etc…families are spread out - across the country- across the globe…instead of me marrying a high school sweetheart from New York or the girl next door, I married my WOW sister - she’s from Texas - we met in DC. After 46 years we’re still married - just not married to TWI anymore :rolleyes:

I don’t think ALL my interactions in a cult were unreal. Certainly me trying to be a sales rep for PFAL was make-believe preaching. But my feelings for my WOW sister/future wife are not fictitious.

I do remember putting on Twig-face for Twig. My wife used to get on me about being sweet to everyone at Twig but being a royal a$$-hole to wife and kids when Twig is gone. Now Post-TWI  I try to be less of an a$$-hole to my family - and if I have any strength left over I will try to be sorta nice to strangers.I’ve got new priorities now  :rolleyes:  And my wife has the patience of a saint :who_me:

I could see Twig being similar to the Internet- in that just like being a poser in a pseudo-Christian cult , one could be a poser on the Internet.

I wonder if there is such a thing as inadvertently gaslighting. Maybe you don’t intend to manipulate others to question reality…to doubt the validity of their thoughts, their perception, whatever…but that does appear to be what you're trying to do  - considering your challenges, questions, opinions and how people respond to you…I’m not questioning your intentions as much as I’m wondering if this kind of interaction is what you wanted.

I just now googled "social media is destroying society".  Some of the videos have Jonathan Haidt. He is a person who says stuff.  He goes into shared stories and a lack of trust.

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Interaction is what you make of it.

During the Covid crisis, a lot of people went to church via Zoom/Skype.  (Some still do.)

I've chatted with a lot of people online. I've met a few offline, later, and made some friends.

Mrs Wolf and I met online and communicated a lot. We're married now.

So, you and I don't know each other and never will-  but we could choose to, as did myself and the Mrs.

That is a good example.  Most people I meet online turn out to be nothing like the online experience.   Sometimes they're doing it on purpose, most of the time it's the medium.  The medium distorts things.

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

I just now googled "social media is destroying society".  Some of the videos have Jonathan Haidt. He is a person who says stuff.  He goes into shared stories and a lack of trust.

Ah, so you got that off the internet…so you do trust the internet for some things :mooner:

I’m familiar with Haidt’s work but I don’t come away with such a dismal outlook like you do…he gets into social psychology – studying stuff like people developing mistrust toward others and becoming divisive…his stuff seems like constructive criticism to me. I don’t interpret him as a prophet of doom like you do.

Confirmation bias is problematic – maybe you’re understanding social media from your own negative experiences and it appears my positive experiences don’t matter in your book :nono5:

I know extreme anxiety and fear can distort perceptions and lead to irrational decisions – makes me wonder why you are relentless in disparaging my judgments.

Don’t get your hopes up that I’m going to jump onto your bandwagon…I’m done with mindlessly absorbing info like I did in TWI :spy:

I rely on observations, cognitive skills, and experiences…maybe the only thing you and I have in common is we were involved in the same cult. To what extent our experiences were different - I don't know - but that would probably lead to some difference in opinions and judgments.

you are very persistent in your gloomy “report” and seem bound and determined to convince me that I should doubt my observations, cognitive skills, and experiences. Evidently you think you are the more enlightened one and perhaps you think it's your mission to save me from ignorance. I don't like it when people are condescending...reminds me of TWI. :evilshades:

If social media is so bad – why are you here talking about how bad it is? :rolleyes:

Edited by T-Bone
revision