GreaseSpot Cafe

Shedding Waybrain: Antifragility

Rocky

Life is NOT about being perpetually chained to a group because one doesn't want to lose God's "hedge of protection." 

If you want to stay attached to twi because you genuinely love the lifestyle, more power to you.

But if you harbor hidden cognitive dissonance, you CAN break free and won't be in any more danger from the trials of life if you go.

This brief discussion of (emotional) antifragility may help. There is light at the end of the tunnel. There are communities where people understand and relate to what you've been through.

• Like 3

Hey Rocky this is one of those side videos that I knew I needed to check out but put it off.

It is excellent and very pertinent.  One of the things is that systems need to be tested to develop anti fragility or resilience.  

Resilience is huge to develop in a world that spins faster every day.

Thx for the link.

• Upvote 1

Here's another relevant link: 30753738.jpg

It’s 1944 and sixteen-year-old ballerina and gymnast Edith Eger is sent to Auschwitz. Separated from her parents on arrival, she endures unimaginable experiences, including being made to dance for the infamous Josef Mengele. When the camp is finally liberated, she is pulled from a pile of bodies, barely alive.

The horrors of the Holocaust didn’t break Edith. In fact, they helped her learn to live again with a life-affirming strength and a truly remarkable resilience. The Choice is her unforgettable story.

Btw, now in her 90s, Edith is still alive "and kicking." Her story is phenomenal.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 2

Dr. Edith Eva Eger is my kind of hero. She survived unspeakable horrors and brutality; but rather than let her painful past destroy her, she chose to transform it into a powerful gift—one she uses to help others heal.” —Jeannette Walls, author of The Glass Castle

“The Choice is a gift to humanity. One of those rare and eternal stories that you don’t want to end and that leave you forever changed. Dr. Eger’s life reveals our capacity to transcend even the greatest of horrors and to use that suffering for the benefit of others. She has found true freedom and forgiveness and shows us how we can as well.” —Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate

Eger, Edith. The Choice: Embrace the Possible (p. I). Scribner. Kindle Edition. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

55315500.jpg

This book, by this author, may challenge how you look at life. And that can be a good thing.

Anders is an award-winning sci-fi writer, which pretty much by definition means she looks at life and things in unconventional ways.

I add this to the list of anti-fragility literature because she has faced plenty of her own very difficult moments. 

The first chapter is titled, "How to Make Your Own Imaginary Friends." The chapter opens:

A huge part of the pleasure of creating stories is having another consciousness inside your own head. As soon as you invent a fictional character (or even a story that represents a real person), you're gotting lost in that other perspective.

There's something both weird and tyrannical about being a person and getting stuck in just one point of view all the time. Everyone has that experience sometimes where you wake up from a vivid dream and for a moment you don't remember where you are and what's been going on. Everything from your skin outward feels like a blank slate, with infinite possibilities, until reality comes smashing back down onto you. 

But when you have other people living inside your head, it's a way to have that same feeling when you're fully awake.

I think of it as being like when you have a hard drive, and you partition it--so in stead of one drive, you have two, occupying the same piece of hardware. That's kind of what it can be like when you create a character and they come to life. 

The waybrain might tempt you to fear doing so, thinking you could be inviting possession by a sinister spiritual power.

But it's NOT that. Because YOU control your imagination.

YOU can construct YOUR new reality.

To borrow something from a source TWI liked (at least when I was involved), "what the mind of man [or woman] can conceive and believe, it can achieve."

https://timothy-simpson.com/what-the-mind-of-man-can-conceive-and-believe-it-can-achieve/

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/193057-whatever-the-mind-of-man-can-conceive-and-believe-it

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/948213.Success_Through_a_Positive_Mental_Attitude

However, to borrow something else, "Life is not a bed of roses."

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

The point is: Charlie Jane Anders can teach and inspire one's imagination.

Scientist Einstein, one of the smartest people to have lived, is thought to have said, 

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Waybrain for some people engenders fear. You don't need to be afraid to expand your imagination.

Yay for the imagination. It's saved me in more ways than one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chockfull said:

https://www.religioustraumainstitute.com 

This appears to be a website to provide clinicians access to training on how to recognize and treat people who have experienced religious trauma, based in Dallas, TX. 

Edited by Rocky

2 hours ago, chockfull said:

This Mayo Clinic article is even better on resilience - key things to work on to increase it

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/resilience-training/in-depth/resilience/art-20046311

Excellent insight. I think of John 16:33

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

-----

Resilience means being able to adapt to life's misfortunes and setbacks. Test your resilience level and get tips to build your own resilience.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

When something goes wrong, do you tend to bounce back or fall apart?

When you have resilience, you harness the inner strength that helps you rebound from a setback or challenge, such as a job loss, an illness, a disaster or a loved one's death. If you lack resilience, you might dwell on problems, feel victimized, become overwhelmed or turn to unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as substance abuse, eating disorders or risky behaviors.

Resilience won't make your problems go away — but resilience can give you the ability to see past them, find enjoyment in life and better handle stress. If you aren't as resilient as you'd like to be, you can develop and learn skills to become more resilient.

Adapting to adversity

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now reading Galit Atlas' book, Emotional Inheritance: A Therapist, Her Patients, and the Legacy of Trauma.

The book may or may not be directly related to resilience, but a passage struck me as something to share here:

Beatrice Beebe, one of my mentors and an infant researcher at Columbia University, is known for saying "Re-search is me-search." By that she means all psychological research, even when we are not aware of it, is our quest to understand and heal ourselves and the people who raised us.

Starting this research, I was not sure what I was looking for. What was it I really needed to know about myself and about the world around me? What was my "me-search?"

[...]

Borrowing from the biblical story of the Tower of Babel, Ferenczi refers to the confusion between the language of tenderness children speak and the language of passion abusers introduce. The paradox of affection and exploitation is one of the most prevalent confusions related to sexual abuse, one that leaves children bewildered and tormented. Abusers don't just threaten and scare children; they often provide affection, promise security, and make the child feel special. p 45-46

Edited by Rocky

On 2/19/2023 at 8:01 PM, Rocky said:

I'm now reading Galit Atlas' book, Emotional Inheritance: A Therapist, Her Patients, and the Legacy of Trauma.

The book may or may not be directly related to resilience, but a passage struck me as something to share here:

You know R for me interestingly enough resilience has kind of corresponded with more of an investigation into emotional intelligence which I had little of as a young man.

The two components of EI as paraphrasing self knowledge and community knowledge.  

So I’ve kind of had to dig down into self and my motivations habits patterns drivers.  Then next trying to understand my world I live in.

The term “research is me-search” really connects.  Researching myself standalone.  Researching my world with me in it interacting.

I do not find it valuable at all limiting input to a certain set of materials that came along with a class.  

No directly opposite I find a broader reading strengthens my borders and helps vastly for its intended purpose - collective learning and growth.

That’s what interacting with you all helps with - collective understanding of our world and the times we live in.  As well as interesting self exploration side roads.

• Like 1

“You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated.” -Maya Angelou

I like this quote. We will face many defeats in life. It is one of the reasons for living our life. We are meant to face challenges. And to learn from them.

I think the first way in not allowing ourselves to be defeated is by recognizing challenges will occur. We will not, and cannot, win every challenge which comes our way.

So, my challenge for you is to figure out a way to face those defeats, but not let yourself be defeated. Find the wins in every challenge you are nearly being defeated by.

you-will-face-many-defeats-in-your-life-

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:38 PM, Rocky said:

Excellent insight. I think of John 16:33

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

-----

Resilience means being able to adapt to life's misfortunes and setbacks. Test your resilience level and get tips to build your own resilience.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

When something goes wrong, do you tend to bounce back or fall apart?

When you have resilience, you harness the inner strength that helps you rebound from a setback or challenge, such as a job loss, an illness, a disaster or a loved one's death. If you lack resilience, you might dwell on problems, feel victimized, become overwhelmed or turn to unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as substance abuse, eating disorders or risky behaviors.

Resilience won't make your problems go away — but resilience can give you the ability to see past them, find enjoyment in life and better handle stress. If you aren't as resilient as you'd like to be, you can develop and learn skills to become more resilient.

Adapting to adversity

When I was a teacher of first grade students (6-7 years old), our school board supplied resources so that we could teach resilience, having a growth mindset and later on even mindfulness to the kids.  The important part was helping them to apply this knowledge throughout the day when problems or challenges occurred both inside and outside the classroom.  The goal was that if this was reinforced each year as the kids grew older, it would stick with them after they graduated.  A lot of students at the first school where I taught came from pretty rough backgrounds so I think it was a godsend. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Charity said:

When I was a teacher of first grade students (6-7 years old), our school board supplied resources so that we could teach resilience, having a growth mindset and later on even mindfulness to the kids.  The important part was helping them to apply this knowledge throughout the day when problems or challenges occurred both inside and outside the classroom.  The goal was that if this was reinforced each year as the kids grew older, it would stick with them after they graduated.  A lot of students at the first school where I taught came from pretty rough backgrounds so I think it was a godsend

coracao-emoji-png-19.jpg

Related to a sense of belonging:

A couple of years ago (I don't remember how many) I learned about Guy Winch,

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Guy Winch is a licensed psychologist who is a leading advocate for integrating the science of emotional health into our daily lives. His three TED Talks have been viewed over 20 million times, and his science-based self-help books have been translated into 26 languages. He also writes the Squeaky Wheel blog for PsychologyToday.com and has a private practice in New York City.

Today, I received an email newsletter from him. The following is an excerpt from the newsletter"

What We Tend to Get Wrong about Loneliness

1. We think loneliness is most common among older adults but the loneliest cohort today are actually 18-30 year-olds. 
2. We don't realize how dangerous loneliness is. Chronic loneliness poses as big a risk to our long term health and longevity as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. In last month's poll 60% of you knew that but that number is much lower in the general population. Indeed, as per this new study, loneliness poses a risk for all adults . 
3. Loneliness traps us. We feel like nobody cares so we're extremely hesitant to reach out to the those who could make us feel connected (see my TED Talk for how I 'got loneliness wrong'). 

Why we get it wrong

1. We tend to think loneliness is about the quantity of a person's connections but it's about the quality. Loneliness is defined subjectively. What matters is whether you feel connected to the people around you (many lonely people are married or live with families and roommates). 

2. We evolved in nomadic tribes in which loneliness signaled that we were about to be kicked out (a death sentence). As a result, loneliness induces a strong physiological stress response that impairs the function of our immune system and increase our risk of illness, disease and an early death. [i.e. mark and avoid]

3. Loneliness is associated with two perceptual distortions that discourage us from reaching out even though we need to do so: (more at the linked newsletter)