GreaseSpot Cafe

Renewed Mind Vs. Stoicism

24 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I should say I understand that emotions come from thoughts.   We don't react to events, we react to our own thoughts about an event.  (I'll have to find my source on that).

The article says there's a competition between the old man and the new man.  Replacing each thought with another thought . . . only someone is feeding you those thoughts.  

"I'm happy for green lights even though I lost my wallet" - so far seems impractical because green lights to not feed a family.

yes! 

22 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I think wierwille’s idea of the renewed mind is more along the lines of mind control.

I should clarify - wierwille's teaching of the renewed mind sounded biblical - but it was a sneaky way to manipulate folks to think the way he wanted them to - hence my reference to that corps meeting - it was a subtle way for him to get us to adjust our attitudes to mimic his 

11 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

good article - thanks

From forbes article: Perhaps randomness is what provides the "seeds" around which the condensation of thoughts can occur.

If thoughts are random what are we trying to control?  Why are we in an old man/new man competition?

12 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

First two set of verses are Ephesians 4:17-24 and Romans 13:12,14

What do these have to do with losing my wallet?  - so what if you think "crap I forgot my wallet - now I'm behind schedule"?  . . . .How is that the works of darkness?

The omission of Romans 13:13 is conspicuous.

These verses explain how (H-O-W) to catch a green light. 60% of the time, they work EVERY time. Be happy for that.

I wish you could read those verses in the original.  

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

yes! 

I should clarify - wierwille's teaching of the renewed mind sounded biblical - but it was a sneaky way to manipulate folks to think the way he wanted them to - hence my reference to that corps meeting - it was a subtle way for him to get us to adjust our attitudes to mimic his 

good article - thanks

Yeah sneaky

The article mention power  . . . In your head . . .it's literally saying the power is in our head

The renewed mind is the key to power

POWER for abundant living

He sold people their own thoughts

Edited by Bolshevik
Renewed post

Ok. I renewed my mind to overcome the daunting task of reading that article. Whew!!

Lots of things, but first --

• I was impressed that she remembered that phone conversation with her Way sister lasted exactly 14 minutes.
  • When she says the Word, what does she mean?  Mike said the Word = YourBelieving+ChristInYou+TheBible+YourWalk.

3 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Ok. I renewed my mind to overcome the daunting task of reading that article. Whew!!

Lots of things, but first --

• I was impressed that she remembered that phone conversation with her Way sister lasted exactly 14 minutes.
  • When she says the Word, what does she mean?  Mike said the Word = YourBelieving+ChristInYou+TheBible+YourWalk.

Holy Crap you're right

We use words to describe other words

12 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

The author also says to put on the armor of light, which is to put on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sounds like the Lord Jesus Christ is no longer absent. Must be a new administration. It'd be helpful if they issued an ECN for this.

Well it is God in Christ in You.

Which is the gift, that which He is, in great principle.  He can only give that which he is.

Because he gave his only begotten son.  Who is absent.  And definitely not that which He is.  But He gave him.

The renewed mind is the key to power, the absent Christ in you.

And the stayed mind is the key to that key, the renewed mind.  Both things are in the mind.  The soul, not the spirit, and definitely not the body.  The soul unlocks the spirit.  In different realms.  Which God gave breath life to but can't give at the same time.

See how he taught it's all not really but it is?  Simple believing.

THAT is power. 

Edited by Bolshevik
Absent minded, Christ

3 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Well it is God in Christ in You.

Which is the gift, that which He is, in great principle.  He can only give that which he is.

Because he gave his only begotten son.  Who is absent.  And definitely not that which He is.  But He gave him.

The renewed mind is the key to power, the absent Christ in you.

And the stayed mind is the key to that key, the renewed mind.  Both things are in the mind.  The soul, not the spirit, and definitely not the body.  The soul unlocks the spirit.  In different realms.  Which God gave breath life to but can't give at the same time.

See how he taught it's all not really but it is?  Simple believing.

THAT is power. 

Just... just...

...tremendous accuracy!

Mmm mmmph!

43 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

The Word is a word used to describe another word? What might that word described be?

38 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Well, the

Language is used widely when conversing ...Popeye

• Like 1

So if I forget my wallet and think, "shoot",

I am to put off the old man and put on the new man by renewing my mind, which translated means deciding to think The Word.

What is the translation of that translation?

God's Word is His Will.  And we know His Will by reading The Word.

See?

My old man nature would check the time and try to figure out how to retrieve the wallet, because my goal was groceries.

BUT

Renewing the mind means chosing to think The Word.

It's a big book, which verse do you need to retrieve your wallet?

I don't know.  But if you think it you'll prevent negative emotions from happening.

So work The Word daily to have the exactly right Word in your head for any situation.  Unless your some sort of masochist.

This missing wallet at the grocery store has happened to me. Maybe twice. Maybe thrice.

I didn't get upset or blame the devil or otherwise freak out. I only lived 2 miles from the store, so they bagged and ticketed my groceries, stored them in the walk in, and promised to keep them for me until I returned. It was NOT a problem for the store, but especially not for me. I was not in battle with myself. I was not in conflict with myself. 

Shonta happens. Responding to this shonta with a still, ordered, unemotional mind will yield solutions and peace. This is wisdom. I don't remember how or where I learned it -- Hellenistic philosophy, Ancient Near Eastern thought, Ancient Far Eastern thought, the Bible, therapy, my mother...

It's wisdom. If one calls it stoicism and another calls it renewed mind and another labels it something else, what does it matter? It's the same wisdom. And it's universally, throughly effectual.

What I was taught by my twig commander was it absolutely matters where one gets this wisdom and what one calls it.

I'm just gonna have to call bullshonta on that teaching.

I think it's interesting that this practice to "think The Word" instantly at the moment of a negative thought. . .  

. . . Any point there's a more intense emotion Wayworld is recalled as a "solution"

. . . That sounds like conditioning . . .  The emotion helps bond the person to The Way?

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Sorry. I just can't make sense of this sentence. Will you please rewrite?

If you lose your wallet, a negative thought occurs, and you're conditioned to now think of a TWI doctrine.

Therefore,

You're having an emotion above your baseline, while now thinking about TWI . . . 

And you're doing this repetitively

(People tend to bond to each other when something more intense than normal is occurring.  Memories too.)