GreaseSpot Cafe

Renewed Mind Vs. Stoicism

1 minute ago, Bolshevik said:

If you lose your wallet, a negative thought occurs, and you're conditioned to now think of a TWI doctrine.

Therefore,

You're having an emotion above your baseline, while now thinking about TWI . . . 

And you're doing this repetitively

(People tend to bond to each other when something more intense than normal is occurring.  Memories too.)

Yes. Absolutely. Indoctrination, conditioning, programming. And all the (shared) neurosis around not "thinking the word" correctly, requiring constant reproof and correction.

"Thinking the word" is so mechanical and mathematical and contradictory and finely tuned, who could possibly "think the word" effectually. Well, the "spiritually mature," that's who. Who's that, you ask? Leadership...

....you should be so thankful for leadership... and round and round we go...

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Yes. Absolutely. Indoctrination, conditioning, programming. And all the (shared) neurosis around not "thinking the word" correctly, requiring constant reproof and correction.

"Thinking the word" is so mechanical and mathematical and contradictory and finely tuned, who could possibly "think the word" effectually. Well, the "spiritually mature," that's who. Who's that, you ask? Leadership...

....you should be so thankful for leadership... and round and round we go...

Right, a rigid structure (That article was hard to read) . . . But within it an emotional bond develops

If I'm saying that right 

27 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Right, a rigid structure (That article was hard to read) . . . But within it an emotional bond develops

If I'm saying that right 

It was hard to read, because lots of words were written, but not a lot was said, if that makes sense.

There is Truth. It is real. It is not confined to a tiny corner of the world at a tiny sliver of time. Though, it is there, also.

If it can boxed up into a formulaic system, it is probably not Truth, but there might be a corner of that box pointing to Truth. It's hard to talk about, because it's beyond description. Stories and musings and theological treatises and doctrines can only ever be pointers. So it seems to me, but I know nothing. It's so silly to talk about...

9 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

It was hard to read, because lots of words were written, but not a lot was said, if that makes sense.

. . . 

Maybe meant to bore people in accepting the premise . . . if there is a premise I don't know . . . but accept information as fact cause you're just waiting for the torture to end.

I wonder people are getting Stockholm Syndrome from simply reading nonsense.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Maybe meant to bore people in accepting the premise . . . if there is a premise I don't know . . . but accept information as fact cause you're just waiting for the torture to end.

I wonder people are getting Stockholm Syndrome from simply reading nonsense.

Not a preposterous proposition.

50 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Perhaps one of the reasons we are so quick to ascribe superpowers to people like this–Stoics or otherwise–is it’s a way of letting ourselves off the hook. If we raise them above ourselves, then we excuse ourselves.

From the Daily Stoic, December 20, 2022.

I heard a phrase like that about billionaires recently . . ."Idiots, all the way up, people like you and me, but with money".

Also, I hope you're last name isn't Sanders:  LINK

12 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I heard a phrase like that about billionaires recently . . ."Idiots, all the way up, people like you and me, but with money".

Also, I hope you're last name isn't Sanders:  LINK

My last name is definitely NOT Sanders. :wave: It would have been a harrowing experience for me if I would have transcribed any of Wierwille's teachings. :wink2:

Edited by Rocky