GreaseSpot Cafe

Jumping to Concussions in a Rush to Judgement

Mike

1 minute ago, waysider said:

I had fellowship with Shakespeare. Good times. Good times.

True dat...I had a personal relationship with L. Ron Hubbard when I read Dianetics many moons ago. We got along great.

15 minutes ago, waysider said:

13 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

True dat...I had a personal relationship with L. Ron Hubbard when I read Dianetics many moons ago. We got along great.

when I read the collaterals, I touch myself 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

No, I disagree.  I said I wanted to see how the chips fall with me not there.  Let me know if anything SUBSTANTIAL is discovered there, and I'll at least read it, and maybe return to discuss it.

Surely you must know that I will be criticized if I do return to that thread.

If I couldn't stand scrutiny, I'd have been long gone from here.

Dude, you're gonna be criticized regardless. Why do or would you care?

31 minutes ago, waysider said:

Tisk, tisk.

Shakespeare wrote no God-breathed texts we can commune over, have in common with, be fellow sharers of,...  like we  can/have/be  with the apostles (and other Biblical writers).

The reason I insist on this apostolic fellowship is because it comes up in 2 Peter 1 also, which we were just discussing with Charity. 

Peter wanted us AFTER HIS DEATH to remember and believe.  He said the way to do this is to believe the words of the prophets, and namely Paul. Paul was likely dead by that time, yet his writings lived.  The Biblical writers we can be fellows with as the sleep, sharing a belief with them that was sustained by the written Word.

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

Shakespeare wrote no God-breathed

Wait...so the contents of a book can only cause a personal relationship with the author if the words are God breathed. Ya.

Edited by OldSkool

3 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Wait...so the contents of a book can only cause a personal relationship with the author if the words are God breathed. Ya.

No.  The contents of a book can only cause a SIGNIFICANT personal relationship with the author THAT I AM INTERESTED IN when I read 1 John 1 and 1 Peter 1, and think of the apostles and seeing them again in the future. 

I thought those goal posts were understood.
Now they are in cement.

...or is it concrete?

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

No.  The contents of a book can only cause a SIGNIFICANT personal relationship with the author THAT I AM INTERESTED IN when I read 1 John 1 and 1 Peter 1, and think of the apostles and seeing them again in the future. 

I thought those goal posts were understood.
Now they are in cement.

...or is it concrete?

You can imagine whatever you like.

If you get rid of PLAFT logic then “inspired by God” can really apply to so many things throughout Christianity.

Did God breathe Michaelangelos commissioned work on the ceiling or was it a request from a pope?

Is famous poetry God inspired?  How about music?  How about other areas that benefit humankind?  

I think all the literal breath talk about a figure of speech in scripture is being another brick in the wall.  

:spy:

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Tisk, tisk.

Shakespeare wrote no God-breathed texts we can commune over, have in common with, be fellow sharers of,...  like we  can/have/be  with the apostles (and other Biblical writers).

The reason I insist on this apostolic fellowship is because it comes up in 2 Peter 1 also, which we were just discussing with Charity. 

Peter wanted us AFTER HIS DEATH to remember and believe.  He said the way to do this is to believe the words of the prophets, and namely Paul. Paul was likely dead by that time, yet his writings lived.  The Biblical writers we can be fellows with as the sleep, sharing a belief with them that was sustained by the written Word.

tsk tsk - referencing Shakespeare is one of the world’s most common traditions. It’s amazing how much of Shakespeare’s work speaks to the human condition…even Paul was no slouch when it came to being culturally literate - evidenced in some non-biblical references he made as mentioned in Acts and his letters - it was a good way to connect with his audience

what is cultural literacy and why is it important?

Cultural literacy is the ability to understand the traditions, norms, activities and historical background of a given culture. Cultural literacy also involves the ability to participate fluently in formal and informal traditions, norms and activities. Cross-cultural communication problems and gaps in cultural literacy may cause or exacerbate health inequity.

I find nothing in the Bible to indicate that only Scripture is God-breathed …yeah break that down - God-breathed = God inspired….so, Mike who appears to be incapable of separating truth from lies - exemplified by his continued defense of a known plagiarist and sexual predator , has the audacity to declare Shakespeare  never had divine inspiration. 

Man oh man, he is missing out on a lot great stuff in not only written form but in the arts, music, film, performing arts, etc.. God created us in His image and likeness. So who says we can’t be creative like Him? Seems awfully narrow minded to say that. That reminds me - check out the thread 10 traits of narrow minded people

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

Man I'm not gonna touch that one with a ten foot pole...though I would likely touch the lead singer a little....nm...I'm married lemme quit being a arf arf.

Yikes you said “pole” 

:biglaugh:

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Yes, I am thinking the a relationship and fellowship are pretty much the same.  It seemed to me that you were adding the word "personal" to the mix. 

I agree there are many scriptures that talk about our "full sharing" type of relationship or fellowship over lots of items we have in common. 

No Mike, they are not pretty much the same :nono5:- they have different meanings.  Fellowship is to share fully and relationship is how two people are connected.  All fellowships require a relationship (husband/wife; parent/child) but not all relationships require fellowship (an estranged brother; tenant-landlord; employer/employee). 

Our relationship with Jesus is that he is forever our Lord, our Savior, our brother, our advocate, our teacher, etc. 

Our fellowship with him is 24/7, loving, private, trusting, involves sharing and communicating, etc.

When I talk about having a personal relationship or personal fellowship with Jesus, I mean it's just between the two of us and includes the above connections and qualities.

Edited by Charity
  • Like 1