GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

I wonder if anyone might be interested in a thread (beside me here, now) that has something to do with trivia from a movie, or in a music song, or something about a music group, or about a television show or anything about an artist that might be of interest and test others with what they know about that trivia?  It wouldn't be the first hit and miss I've started but I think I would like to give it a try.

So the rules are: ask anything that has to do with a motion picture, an actor or actress, television, artist's in music, any genre in music, songs, albums, song writers, anything that has anything to do with anything.  I recognize that in some circles keeping with the facts when it comes to trivia can become blurred.  There are different opinions, or different answers about these subjects.   Some accurate, some conjecture.  Debates about them often arise.  So let's try to keep it mellow.  Let's don't get too down and dirty when it come to the facts about something.  One  example might be "Has Elton John ever had blue hair"?  I would probably say yes, but then, someone with knowledge of the facts may say "no, he hasn't".  And so on.  So, hey if it is fun for awhile that's all I would hope for.   Got it.  I'll start.

After keeping it a secret for more than 40 years who is the subject of the song  "Your So Vain" according to the artist Carly Simon? 

Well, in the past, she's auctioned off the name in secret, said that one of the letters in his name was "r" and said it wasn't about anybody in particular- which is a heck of a thing to say AFTER you've given letters in the name of a nonexistent person, and collected money for the name.

Old rumors put it as either Mick Jagger (less likely)   or Warren Beatty (more likely.)  I'll go with WB.

Yes, Warren Beatty.  She said only the second verse is about him ("like you were walking onto a yacht") and the other two verses are about two other men.  So it may take some time before she drops any other names, if indeed there are any other names.  Funny, but I thought it was about David Geffen until I came across her latest interview with People Magazine.   Way to go WordWolf, you're up.

One musician's greatest claim to fame is probably that he's a member of a band he neither played for nor joined.  It's not true. He joined the band and played for it, through their days as " Johnny and the Moondogs"  and other names before they settled on the name they made famous.  Then he was canned shortly before they became famous, replaced by a member of "Rory Storm and the Hurricanes."   But, he did indeed play for them in their final name, before he was fired.  Which musician was this?

I don't know anything about those things regarding the joining and being fired from "Rory Storm and the Hurricanes' but I think Richard Starkey (Ringo Starr)  used to play for them before he joined The Beatles.

5 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I don't know anything about those things regarding the joining and being fired from "Rory Storm and the Hurricanes' but I think Richard Starkey (Ringo Starr)  used to play for them before he joined The Beatles.

He did, so we're looking for who Ringo REPLACED.

3 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Well, since George has an idea about who this is and I haven't, and he might have it right but he just didn't get the first name right I will throw out Pete Best.

Yes, that was Pete Best.

I used to hear he was the drummer for the Quarrymen, the pre-Beatles band. However, he really did start for the Beatles, the Silver Beetles, and their other names before that.  It sounds like local drummers had a lyrical feel for the music, but didn't keep technical time well, so professionals all thought they were awful.  Ringo, on the other hand, had both skills.

Switching it up now a little.   Take a look at this list of movie actresses.  There should be something that should become rather obvious to draw from them.  However, this is not the trivia that or, at least not the part, of the trivia that I'm looking for.   What do all of these actresses share in common?

Rachael Weisz    Marcia Gay  Harden   Jennifer Connelly    Jennifer Hudson    Catherine Zeta-Jones   Tilda Swinton    Mo'Nique

Edited by Human without the bean

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I suspect that they may have co-starred with the same person

I may need to steer you a little bit in the right direction George.  No.  These actresses do not have anything to do with sharing a character on screen with each other.    Individually they all share something each on their own.  A hint then.  Each of the actresses did these things in the same decade.

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I know Rachael Weisz and Jennifer Connelly won Best Supporting Actress Oscars.  Is that it?

No that isn't it, but now you're getting somewhere George.   That's the obvious thing. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:42 AM, Human without the bean said:

Switching it up now a little.   Take a look at this list of movie actresses.  There should be something that should become rather obvious to draw from them. [Edited, hoping to make this clearer]  But that's not the trivia in and of itself.  That's incidental, not the part  I'm looking for.   What do all of these actresses share in common?

Rachael Weisz    Marcia Gay  Harden   Jennifer Connelly    Jennifer Hudson    Catherine Zeta-Jones   Tilda Swinton    Mo'Nique

After some editing, I'm hoping this is easier to understand what I'm asking for. 

Let me add this, hope you and yours George,  are having a safe and Happy New Year.

Edited by Human without the bean

For the record my intention was to make this a challenging thread.  And so George, you may not figure it out.  I hope you do, but this is what I like about good trivia.  You learn things, things you never knew.  I've laid all the cards out that I'm going to.  Don't get the wrong idea or anything.   When I came across this bit of trivia I thought, "Wow, that's fascinating stuff"!   Good luck.

On 12/30/2022 at 4:42 PM, Human without the bean said:

Switching it up now a little.   Take a look at this list of movie actresses.  There should be something that should become rather obvious to draw from them.  However, this is not the trivia that or, at least not the part, of the trivia that I'm looking for.   What do all of these actresses share in common?

All of them are actresses who have not been in my kitchen.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:47 PM, Human without the bean said:

I may need to steer you a little bit in the right direction George.  No.  These actresses do not have anything to do with sharing a character on screen with each other.    Individually they all share something each on their own.  A hint then.  Each of the actresses did these things in the same decade.

Ok, that wasn't it.  It also wasn't "they were all in some kind of superhero movie".  (Swinton was in Dr Strange, Connelly in The Rocketeer, Weisz in "Constantine", Zeta-Jones in 2 "Zorro" movies....) 

On 12/30/2022 at 6:47 PM, Human without the bean said:

These actresses do not have anything to do with sharing a character on screen with each other.    Individually they all share something each on their own.  A hint then.  Each of the actresses did these things in the same decade.

So each actress acted in the 2000's.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:47 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I know Rachael Weisz and Jennifer Connelly won Best Supporting Actress Oscars.  Is that it?

George has it right.  That is the obvious thing.  Oscar winners.  But that's not the answer to the trivia.