GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Either you're going to have to give slightly more specific clues or post the answer.  I honestly don't know what you're looking for.

George

Almost sounds like a submission?  Okay,  each of these actresses received their achievement the same way.  They each achieved this by the same means. [I posted this this morning but when I tapped the submit tab the site dropped.  Noticed a few things with my phone and computer that weren't working nearly as well as they usually do.]

Edited by Human without the bean

On 1/2/2023 at 11:46 AM, WordWolf said:

Switching it up now a little.   Take a look at this list of movie actresses.  There should be something that should become rather obvious to draw from them.  However, this is not the trivia that or, at least not the part, of the trivia that I'm looking for.   What do all of these actresses share in common?

Rachael Weisz    Marcia Gay  Harden   Jennifer Connelly    Jennifer Hudson    Catherine Zeta-Jones   Tilda Swinton    Mo'Nique

Before time expires, I'll try another clue.  It might be the nature of HOW I POSED the question that's drawing little response.  All of these women, or actresses have ALL WON THE ACADEMY AWARD FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS.  So, I tried to pose this with the idea that somebody would pick up on the obvious, which George did, and then I hoped they would get to the real gist of how they got THEIR awards.  Anyway, I'm finally getting around to the last clue.   How do actors who play their character's and in their performance become eligible to win an Oscar?  They do a good job?  Sure.  However, these actresses did something that is quite rare and doesn't take place very often in Hollywood.  That's all I've got.

4 hours ago, Raf said:

Each one was pregnant when they accepted their award

I doubt it, so no.

Dammit, I just realized something, that probably doesn't matter now but I edited a couple of names in here that I wasn't aware weren't there. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:42 AM, Human without the bean said:

Switching it up now a little.   Take a look at this list of movie actresses.  There should be something that should become rather obvious to draw from them.  However, this is not the trivia that or, at least not the part, of the trivia that I'm looking for.   What do all of these actresses share in common?

Rachael Weisz    Marcia Gay  Harden   Jennifer Connelly    Jennifer Hudson    Catherine Zeta-Jones   Tilda Swinton    Mo'Nique

Renee Zellweger   Cate Blanchett

And I feel like an ash because they were possibly the biggest names on the list.  I just gave it up a minute ago in response to Raf's post but now I wonder (but probably not, because so far no one has come up with anything), if this gets anyone closer to the answer?  Now I feel like a real duffus.  Man, I'm sorry.  (I'm sure George is saying "Man human, just give it up").

7 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

I doubt it, so no.

Dammit, I just realized something, that probably doesn't matter now but I edited a couple of names in here that I wasn't aware weren't there. 

Renee Zellweger   Cate Blanchett

And I feel like an ash because they were possibly the biggest names on the list.  I just gave it up a minute ago in response to Raf's post but now I wonder (but probably not, because so far no one has come up with anything), if this gets anyone closer to the answer?  Now I feel like a real duffus.  Man, I'm sorry.  (I'm sure George is saying "Man human, just give it up").

I'm not going to wait.  Each of these Best Supporting Actresses won an Academy Award for their first nomination in the category.  Some like [ I'm a duffus:doh: Renee Zellweger and Cate Blanchett were nominated in earlier work but they were nominated in the Best Actress category but didn't win.  And all of them were nominated and won in the same decade which is extraordinary in itself.  Now in-hind sight, I should have gave this list and asked "What they had in common"?, and answer would have been all in the same decade.  I think human should be placed on probation and not allowed to post anymore questions for 3 days for this dismay attempt at a trivia question.

11 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

I'm not going to wait.  Each of these Best Supporting Actresses won an Academy Award for their first nomination in the category.  Some like [ I'm a duffus:doh: Renee Zellweger and Cate Blanchett were nominated in earlier work but they were nominated in the Best Actress category but didn't win.  And all of them were nominated and won in the same decade which is extraordinary in itself.  Now in-hind sight, I should have gave this list and asked "What they had in common"?, and answer would have been all in the same decade.  I think human should be placed on probation and not allowed to post anymore questions for 3 days for this dismay attempt at a trivia question.

I will post again after doing some self-flagellation.

2 hours ago, Raf said:

WordWolf should go next because he had the other correct answer: They have never been in his kitchen. I am sure Cliff and Alex would approve.

Maybe so, but both Jennifer Connelly and Rachael Weisz have been in mine but I won't go into any of the graphic details in my dreams.

So let's go ahead and have another round then.   Before we go there first I want to add something about this last question.  In my last post, at some point after doing some fact checking and looking for any mistake that I put on the list and so, I thought I'd remove some actresses who had won the Oscar for Best Actress and for Best Supporting to avoid confusion. I wish now I hadn't removed Cate Blanchett and Renee Zellweger even though they met with the current criteria of winning the award in their first nomination for Best Supporting.  The list would have been more power packed with them in it.  They are both one of a handful of actors to have won both Awards for acting.   Anyway,

Next round.   I'm looking for two actors.  In Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood" which actor was scheduled to play the role of George Spahn, the hippie-ranch owner but died before shooting and was instead replaced by Bruce Dern, and which actor who played a role in the film died a short time before it was released?

On 1/6/2023 at 8:51 PM, Human without the bean said:

Next round.   I'm looking for two actors.  In Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood" which actor was scheduled to play the role of George Spahn, the hippie-ranch owner but died before shooting and was instead replaced by Bruce Dern, and which actor who played a role in the film died a short time before it was released?

Okay, let's turn them over then, Burt Reynolds was supposed to play the character of 'the Old Man' George Spahn in "Once Upon a Time" but passed away before shooting.  He was replaced by 'older than dirt' Bruce Dern, (he did an excellent job though.) Two months before release "Beverley 90212"  actor Luke Perry passed away after suffering a stroke.  He and a third actor passed away.  Originally, one of smaller roles from the television series, including Luke Perry's part of "Bounty Law" was written for Bill Paxton to play the character but he passed away suffering a stroke while undergoing valve replacement surgery, his part was played by Timothy Olyphant.

If you're an actor getting ready to play in a Quentin Tarantino movie role you might want to reconsider taking the part.

FREE POST

Sports trivia.

Which one of these is different from the others, and why:  Jimmy Foxx, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays?

Note:  it's not about statistics.  You could say that Aaron was the only one with more than 750 HR, but you could just as easily say that Gehrig was the only one with fewer than 500.  Think about their careers.  As with Human's post, there's a "broad strokes" answer, but there's also a fine point to it.

George

I think its pretty hard to draw any conclusions about which baseball player is different from the others when we are told its not about statistics but to think about their careers.

There isn't anything different about them.   They all had Hall of Fame careers.

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I think its pretty hard to draw any conclusions about which baseball player is different from the others when we are told its not about statistics but to think about their careers.

There isn't anything different about them.   They all had Hall of Fame careers.

They were all men, too; but that doesn't mean there weren't any differences.

George

On 1/10/2023 at 7:29 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Sports trivia.

Which one of these is different from the others, and why:  Jimmy Foxx, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays?

Note:  it's not about statistics.  You could say that Aaron was the only one with more than 750 HR, but you could just as easily say that Gehrig was the only one with fewer than 500.  Think about their careers.  As with Human's post, there's a "broad strokes" answer, but there's also a fine point to it.

George

Perhaps open up a Wikipedia (or other site) page for each one and see if something stands out to you.

George

All I've got is that The Babe was an orphan.  Willie Mays grew up poor.  What makes this so difficult for me George is that this list of baseball greats some would argue were the greatest hitters of all time.  I saw Willie Mays play in San Francisco when I was a boy.  I think he went 4/5.  I can't really wrap my head around anything that would be as you put it a "broad stroke" of any kind.  Sorry, but not getting it.

I suppose if we had more sports buffs, this one might have been figured out, at least the "broad strokes."

Broad strokes:  Dimaggio was the only one listed who played for the same team, in the same city, for his whole career.

Fine point:  ALL of them started and finished their careers in the same city.

• Aaron:  Started as a Milwaukee Brave, moved to Atlanta with the Braves, finished his career as a Milwaukee Brewer.
  • Mays:  Started his career as a New York Giant, moved to San Francisco with the Giants, finished his career as a New York Met.
  • Ruth:  Started his career as a Boston Red Sox (Sock?), was traded to the New York Yankees, then was traded to the Baston Braves.
  • Foxx:  Started his career as a Philadelphia Athletic, moved to Kansas City with the Athletics, finished his career as a Philadelphia Phil.

I heard this on an NPR quiz show years ago, and I thought it was really cool.

FREE POST

George