GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

I love presidential trivia.  William H Taft.  President Warren G Harding nominated him.

Okay I got one.

Who was the first actor to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute?  It was a woman.

No.  This was a working actor not known for her beauty but she was known for being an actress who could play a variety of very strong and complex roles.  She's a screen legend.  She was the first actress to receive 10 Academy Award nominations.  Let's not shoot fish in a barrel.

8 minutes ago, modcat5 said:

Not known for her beauty.

I don't see anyone scoring a number one hit song singing about YOUR eyes, Human.

Bette Davis.

Who was not the first actor to be so honored, but was the first actress.

Even though this was in yesteryear Hollywood, the gender case use today of actress is not preferred, that is why I used the noun, actor.  Even so, it doesn't matter.  Nit-picking.  Yes.  Betty Davis

3 hours ago, modcat5 said:

i understand. but there were two actors before her

No one had any doubts about it being a woman.  I even said that "it was a woman" in the first post so we could erase any doubts about the answer being a man.   Yes, there were others before, maybe I shouldn't have tried to be so objective.

You're up

Edited by Human without the bean

On 1/19/2023 at 12:44 AM, Human without the bean said:

I love presidential trivia.  William H Taft.  President Warren G Harding nominated him.

Okay I got one.

Who was the first actor to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute?  It was a woman.

Here's Raf's point.  As this reads, it says that the first actor to receive the award was a woman.  That isn't the case.  James Cagney and Orson Welles both won it before Davis.  (As did two directors.)

George

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

That isn't the case.  James Cagney and Orson Welles both won it before Davis.  (As did two directors.)

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Here's Raf's point.  As this reads, it says that the first actor to receive the award was a woman.  That isn't the case.  James Cagney and Orson Welles both won it before Davis.  (As did two directors.)

George

Yeah I get it, yeah, I get it.  Thanks for speaking for Raf.  It don't matter anyway.  Yeah, this is a fact, but it shouldn't matter anyway, even though I used the term "actor" by choice, because I tried clearing up that confusion when I posted

On 1/18/2023 at 10:44 PM, Human without the bean said:

It was a woman.

and I was just trying to refrain from referring and  using the term "actresses" because they're also actors.  I get it.  Can we stop kicking a dead horse now?  Come on guys, pull up your big boy pants and move on.   Or not.  Which ever.  I don't care.  I mean I don't care to hear it anymore (now who will it be to re-post again something in response to my latest post) about this in this particular case.  Please stop it.

Raf is up.

What is wrong with you?
Here's how you handle that: "Oh, I see. Sorry about that. Thanks for clearing it up."

And then "Please stop it"? You should have followed that advice first instead of acting like it's on the rest of us. It's on you. You said something incorrect. You were corrected. You doubled down. You were corrected again. THAT'S ON YOU, not us. And if you have a problem with continuing the discussion, ending the discussion is on you too.

We're not children. Stop treating us like we are.

Whatever, Next.

A funny thing happened to the copyright on this series of movies. 

Someone accidentally left the copyright notice off the original. At the time, that put the movie in the public domain and cost the producers $millions.

A handful of movies are considered official sequels, with the same director and writer. 

There are other movies that serve as sequels, the first of which was written by a co-writer of the original. The two writers amicably agreed to distinguish their sequels from each other by the inclusion or omission of a single word in the title of each.

A handful of current TV series owe their existence to the original (and the failure to copyright it).

9 hours ago, Raf said:

What is wrong with you?
Here's how you handle that: "Oh, I see. Sorry about that. Thanks for clearing it up."

And then "Please stop it"? You should have followed that advice first instead of acting like it's on the rest of us. It's on you. You said something incorrect. You were corrected. You doubled down. You were corrected again. THAT'S ON YOU, not us. And if you have a problem with continuing the discussion, ending the discussion is on you too.

We're not children. Stop treating us like we are.

Whatever, Next.

A funny thing happened to the copyright on this series of movies. 

Someone accidentally left the copyright notice off the original. At the time, that put the movie in the public domain and cost the producers $millions.

A handful of movies are considered official sequels, with the same director and writer. 

There are other movies that serve as sequels, the first of which was written by a co-writer of the original. The two writers amicably agreed to distinguish their sequels from each other by the inclusion or omission of a single word in the title of each.

A handful of current TV series owe their existence to the original (and the failure to copyright it).

On 1/24/2023 at 6:16 PM, Human without the bean said:

Come on guys, pull up your big boy pants and move on.

I guess you didn't want to pull up your big pants.

Is this trivia?  You're up man.  Just so you know Raf, I didn't even read your jumbo mumbo.

Edited by Human without the bean

27 minutes ago, modcat5 said:

Not Mad Max.

One of the current TV shows recently aired its seties finale. It has spinoffs thatvare still going [and still to come].

Human, you're being a jerk about this and I don't get why.

I see after sifting through the minisha you did post something.