GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

No.  This took place when the horse and buggy were the popular mode of transportation, but Teddy would have certainly ridden and driven one in his day.

Edited by Human without the bean

I think we've reached a stand still so, I guess I'll play my cards.  It's Ulysses S Grant.  I hesitated using this clue again after we just used it, but I thought it would immediately get answered or it would be just another trivia that nobody had heard of.  I guess it was the latter.  Grant was arrested for a speeding violation riding in his horse and buggy in Washington DC.  He paid a $20 bond, but didn't show up for court.  The same policeman, who was a black Civil War veteran, had stopped Grant on other occasions, apologized, and told President Grant, "I am very sorry, Mr. President, to have to do it, for you are the chief of the nation, and I am nothing but a policeman, but duty is duty, sir, and I will have to place you under arrest." .  Grant was known for having a penchant for speeding and he liked fast horses.

Yes Montpelier, and they like it that way.  More into local businesses and less national chains.  Barre a neighboring town is not that far from Montpelier and they have a McDonald's.  The capital was hesitant to let a Walmart come there until 1997 when they got one.

You associate this artist with another location to the extent you'd be surprised to learn he was born in The Bronx. He started out as a boxer, and won 22 Golden Gloves fights. But he had a strong desire to play music, so he joined a heavy metal band named Attila. That didn't work out for him.

Music did work out, though.

Today, when he plays a concert, he doesn't allow the venue to sell the first few  rows of tickets. Instead, he gives them away to real fans. Not entirely sure how he identifies them.

He's written more than 50 hit songs, and the one people identify with him most turns 50 this year.

9 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Bruce Springsteen?

George

I think we're out of the loop here George. Clearly WoldWolf knows who this is.  I haven't got anything yet, unless the artist in question is Mickey Rourke who had a boxing career, but no music career as far as I know.  I don't think Bruce used to be a boxer either.

Edited by Human without the bean

George is closer.

His last hit song was released in 1994. It was a sleeper.

He never won an Oscar, though he did contribute an original song to a Disney movie. Never won a Tony, though there was a jukebox musical of his hits on Broadway. Never won an Emmy, though one of his songs figured prominently in a dream sequence of a major hit comedic drama series.

Yeah, he has Grammys.

His breakthrough album was released in 1977. It contained a number of huge hits that remain well known and still get airplay. He made $3,000 from it. And yeah, he was bitter about it.

Good thing he had concerts.

Did I say had? Still has. Regularly. Like all the time.

Correction: he DOES have a Tony.

No Oscar and no Emmy.

He played piano on an early demo version of "The Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri-Las.

Played the first rock concert ever at Yankee Stadium and the last rock concert ever at Shea Stadium [home of the NY Mets].

In 2018 he played his 100th concert at Madison Square Garden in NYC. His guest was Bruce Springsteen.