GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

Just bringing these to one page:

Three-part question, and you gotta get all three (otherwise, what's the fun?)

1. Only twice in Oscars history have two actors won for playing the same character.

The first time, it was the same character in the same movie series. Name the actors and the role.

2. The second time, it was the same character in different interpretations (one actor's version of the character had no bearing on the other's). Name the actors and the role.

3. There was one instance in which two actresses were nominated for playing the same character in the same movie. Neither actress won, but the movie did very well that night. Name the actresses and EITHER the role or the movie.

Q. 1: The awards were given in the 1970s

Q. 2: The awards were given in the 21st Century

Q. 3: The nominations were in the 1990s

Only one person in each of the answers is still alive.

One of them [question 2] died before his movie was released.

Guaranteed you know the names and roles of everyone in Q1 and Q2. 

If you guess one right, I'll give more clues to the others.

With the extra clue you gave in the Actors and Roles thread, I'm sure #2 is the Joker, with Heath Ledger and Joachin Phoenix winning awards.

The two major "series' that I can think of in the 70s were Rocky and the Godfather.  I suspect that #1 pertains to a character from the Godfather.  Actors could have played an older and a younger version of one of the Corleones.  Not actually having seen the movies (except for a few parts), I really couldn't say.

#3 is probably also an older-younger duo.

George

I'll help you out George with this sort of Mash up answer, the two actors who were in the Godfather series were Marlon Brando playing Vito Corleone in Godfather and Robert De Niro playing the younger Vito Corleone in Godfather II.

Edited by Human without the bean

So far so good.

For Q. 3, our categories are Best Actress and Best Supporting actress, with the latter referring to the former in the movie as a "dish."

The movie won best picture.

The director was crowned best director.

The lead actor won Best Actor... 20 someodd years later for a different movie. He was snubbed for this one. 

There was a best original song oscar too. 

[BONUS: I forgot that two actresses actually won an Oscar for playing the same role. This was a bit more recent and it slipped my mind. One movie was a remake of the other. If you know where they like to be, then you know the movie and possibly the role and one actress. Kudos if you know both. I don't recall the more recent winner]

And I'm absolutely certain Mamma Mia 2 was not released in the 1990s, did not win Best Picture, Best Director... CERTAINLY not best ORIGINAL song...

Now, think, how many best picture winners featured two people playing the same person at different ages.

I believe that the clues will go on.

My problems here are two:

• At my age, the past gets conflated.  I can't remember if something happened in the 80s, 90s, or "aughts."
  • I don't know what pictures were Best Picture winners.  Most BP winners were artsy-fartsy films.  In fact, prior to this year's winner ("Everything, Everywhere, All at Once"), the last BP winner I saw before it won the award was "GANDHI."

The bonus round again:

Two women in Oscars history have been awarded for playing the same character. Unlike the other characters we discussed, this was a case of one movie being a remake of the other. Not a reboot. Not a prequel. Not an older version of a younger character or vice versa. Same character in the same story. 

Name the movie, the character or either actress.

Elizabeth, Cate Blanchett.  I just read the latest posts so I'm wrong with my guess.  Elizabeth did not win Best Picture and neither Cate Blanchett for Best Actress.  I've still got some ideas.

Edited by Human without the bean

Repeating a hint you all glossed right over:

If you know where she likes to be, you will figure out the movie with ease. Maybe the role, likely one of the two actresses. I don't even remember the second.

Where does

she like to be

Edited by Raf

10 hours ago, Raf said:

We have a 3 way tie. Give me either. The movie, the role, or one of the actresses from the bonus round to take this round.

To placate the judges, I'll go for the hat trick.

The movie- original and remake-  was "WEST SIDE STORY." 

The original actress was the talented RITA MORENO.

The role was ANITA.

Did I get the right actress and role?