GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

6 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Um, Joyce RANDOLPH of the Honeymooners???????

I only saw The Honeymooners with a picture of an older woman, like 90 something but I didn't see her name.  I was just about to post The Honeymooners as you suggested WordWolf when I saw you put it up first.   That has to be it.  Time frame for an 98 yr. old actress fits.

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

IIRC, the other 3 were Jackie Gleason (who went first), Art Carney and Audrey Meadows.  The 3 of them minus Gleason, if memory serves, appeared on the US' "Comic Relief" in the 1980s.

Sheila MacRae took over the Alice Kramden role when the Jackie Gleason show ran new Honeymooners skits.  She's gone, too.

George

10 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I only saw The Honeymooners with a picture of an older woman, like 90 something but I didn't see her name.  I was just about to post The Honeymooners as you suggested WordWolf when I saw you put it up first.   That has to be it.  Time frame for an 98 yr. old actress fits.

I'm sorry, my brain didn't play along until I'd already hit "send."

Did Joyce Randolph play Trixie Norton, or Alice Kramden?    I think she was Trixie, but I could be wrong.

Ok, a Star Wars/ Star Trek round.  If you can answer all 3, go for it.  If you can answer fewer, go for it.

A)  Art Carney from "the Honeymooners"  (who played Ed Norton) will be remembered by some Star Wars fans.  He appeared in at least one Star Wars VIDEO GAME, reprising a character he played live during the filming of the original trilogy (during the filming of Episodes 4, 5, and 6.)   People who watch him in the role may catch an "Ed Norton" moment during his performance, playing against a Stormtrooper the way Norton played off Ralph Kramden.    Either name his SW character, or where he appeared (for any meaning of "where he appeared.") 

B) When Disney moved forward with the sequel trilogy (Episodes 7, 8 and 9), they were good enough to get the gang back together again. All the living members of the principal cast returned to reprise their roles in Episode 7.  (Since R2D2 didn't need a human performer, Kenny Baker is listed in the credits as "consultant on R2D2".)  I appreciate the effort, no matter what I think of the movie as a whole.   However, one actor from the original trilogy flat refused to show up in Episode 7, which I think is a shame, because there was a place for him in the story.   Either name the actor, or his role.

C) One actor rather famously played both a prominent Federation member and a prominent member of one of their enemies.  Who is the actor, AND who did he play?    (This question is a lot easier, so I'm asking for BOTH, not just one.)

C)  Mark Lenard played a Vulcan (Sarek) in "Journey to Babel" (and a number of NG episodes and movies) and a Romulan (unnamed Commander) in "Balance of Terror."  (He also was a Klingon captain in ST the Motion Picture.)

Assuming that's whom you meant, see if anyone else can get the other two puzzles.

George

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

C)  Mark Lenard played a Vulcan (Sarek) in "Journey to Babel" (and a number of NG episodes and movies) and a Romulan (unnamed Commander) in "Balance of Terror."  (He also was a Klingon captain in ST the Motion Picture.)

Assuming that's whom you meant, see if anyone else can get the other two puzzles.

George

*checks* That WAS whom I meant.  I was mistakenly thinking Tomalak was the unnamed Commander, and that he had been named. No, Tomalak was a different Romulan.   The Klingon captain, likewise, was also unnamed.

Here's hoping someone's got an idea on the others.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:39 AM, WordWolf said:

Ok, a Star Wars/ Star Trek round.  If you can answer all 3, go for it.  If you can answer fewer, go for it.

A)  Art Carney from "the Honeymooners"  (who played Ed Norton) will be remembered by some Star Wars fans.  He appeared in at least one Star Wars VIDEO GAME, reprising a character he played live during the filming of the original trilogy (during the filming of Episodes 4, 5, and 6.)   People who watch him in the role may catch an "Ed Norton" moment during his performance, playing against a Stormtrooper the way Norton played off Ralph Kramden.    Either name his SW character, or where he appeared (for any meaning of "where he appeared.") 

B) When Disney moved forward with the sequel trilogy (Episodes 7, 8 and 9), they were good enough to get the gang back together again. All the living members of the principal cast returned to reprise their roles in Episode 7.  (Since R2D2 didn't need a human performer, Kenny Baker is listed in the credits as "consultant on R2D2".)  I appreciate the effort, no matter what I think of the movie as a whole.   However, one actor from the original trilogy flat refused to show up in Episode 7, which I think is a shame, because there was a place for him in the story.   Either name the actor, or his role.

C) One actor rather famously played both a prominent Federation member and a prominent member of one of their enemies.  Who is the actor, AND who did he play?    (This question is a lot easier, so I'm asking for BOTH, not just one.)

A) Art Carney played SAUN DANN, in the Star Wars Holiday Special.  He played a human trader who lived on Kashykk, the wookiee homeworld, and he understood wookiee ("shriwook".)

B) The actor missing was DENIS LAWSON, who played Wedge Antilles, the Rebel pilot who was in all the major engagements (Yavin 4, Hoth, Endor), and who blew up the second Death Star.  He chose not to return for the later movies.

C) was already answered by George.

It's George's turn.

Cobb had a lot of hits, but only 117 HR.  Lou Gehrig finished with 493.  Mays hit his 500th in 1965.

The two I'm referring to hit their 500th home runs in the 1940s.  Both are (obviously) in the Hall of Fame.  Neither hit more than 550.

One of them was an inspiration for a main character in "A League of Their Own."

George

Good trivia GeorgeStGeorge.  I like baseball trivia, but I'm not that avid a baseball fan when it comes to statistics before let's say, the 50's.  Hey I was in the ballpark. Had it been the 600 club I might have had a shot.  But I'm just going sit here until this round is over now.

These are names which you would probably recall if you heard them, but may not be in the forefront of your minds.

One played his entire 22-year career with the New York Giants.  The other started as a Philadelphia Athletic, moved with the team to Kansas City, then returned to Philadelphia to finish his career with the Phillies.  

Name ONE to win the round.

George

I'm sure I've heard their names before George, growing up and playing bas1eball most of my adolescence.  I've kept up with the sport, in fact I'm watching some college baseball right now.  Go Beavs !  I saw some trivia the other day about the top 5 All-Time home run leaders hoping that it might give me a clue but that didn't lead anywhere.  (My guess is these guys may not even be in the top 20 of all time leaders, because they'll mostly modern ball players) The other clue about "A League of Their Own" was Jimmie Duggan a real ballplayer?

22 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

was Jimmie Duggan a real ballplayer?

One of the answers to my clues is the player "Jimmie Duggan" was patterned after.  Probably would have hit 600 homers if he hadn't kneecapped himself by drinking.

Players' initials:  J.F. and M.O.  If no one still gets it, I'll give it up for a free post.

George

Fine.

Jimmy Foxx and Mel Ott.

"Jimmie Duggan" is considered a cross between Jimmy Foxx and Hack Wilson.

Again it just magnifies the incredible HR production of the Bambino.  The next person to hit 600 was Willie Mays, and he didn't do that until the "Miracle Mets" year of 1969, and he was STILL behind Ruth by 114 at that time.

FREE POST!!

George